Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 249 Words
  • 1,769 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

One Hundred and Fifty-Five Sonnets - 12. drink the stars their fill

.

Sonnet No. 23

 

Your voice is the voice of an angel, but

The tone of which makes the temple rock,

For scripture says both church and tomb will strut

To a trumpet call, and the world restock.

But when your fine treble sounds in my ear

The future opens 'fore me like a book –

The story of which will end every fear

To confirm my path is the right one took.

So what matters if the stones themselves shake,

And everything that had substance once

Will reconcile and find itself awake,

Though with blinking eye, we'll all look the dunce.

But in that moment, I will also know,

It was you who called me, and will gladly go.

 

 

Sonnet No. 24

 

Standing at your open window, I see

You bathe the sultry summer night with sighs

And only those born of anguish can be

More tormented than hell with all its lies.

You are lost, you feel your orbit is fixed

By the locking grasp of some heavy hand,

Strangling by the evils they enlist,

And stymied with all things they demand.

But in the night's warm, let yourself surrender,

For even then, I will be with you still –

If sad, then two hearts will grow tender;

If glad, four eyes will drink the stars their fill.

God gave us hearts so we could love and feel

Joys and ache on His scale of hurt and heal.

 

 

_

Copyright © 2018 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I am in awe of number 24. The last couplet is a quote to carry in memory, to conjure with, to inspire. But it has no place without the rest of the magnificent poetry that precedes it. Bathing the night with sighs...surrender to the warm...I surely surrendered to this mesmerizing sonnet, which I had to read and re-read. Thank you for these!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Parker is right (I find myself writing that in more and more reviews -- I need to get here first) about #24.

 

In it, your poetry is special and seems to be painted with the ethereal brush of longing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/05/2016 12:07 PM, Parker Owens said:

I am in awe of number 24. The last couplet is a quote to carry in memory, to conjure with, to inspire. But it has no place without the rest of the magnificent poetry that precedes it. Bathing the night with sighs...surrender to the warm...I surely surrendered to this mesmerizing sonnet, which I had to read and re-read. Thank you for these!

Thank you, Parker. Your support is amazing, and I appreciate it.

 

I think I used to over-think the couplets. With this series, I set all thought of them aside until I had finished the third quatrain. There was something like a charge built up the time that third section 'clicked,' and it carried me forward into a conclusion. That usually (not always) works for me now.

 

Thanks again (and plz give No. 23 another read or two. I like that one a lot…) :glomp:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/06/2016 08:15 AM, skinnydragon said:

Parker is right (I find myself writing that in more and more reviews -- I need to get here first) about #24.

 

In it, your poetry is special and seems to be painted with the ethereal brush of longing.

Hehe, Parker is usually right about a lot of things, Skinny D.

 

Thank you for your support and your red-letter is. I like the comments you make here; you do me a great honor. I suppose it is about longing…

 

Thanks again.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/06/2016 11:07 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Oh AC you write with your heart and the pen of an angel. Love them both.

Gosh, Tim. Thank you. Your words are so fine, and bear their own weight of poetic gravity, that now I think I have an inscription for my tombstone.

 

I appreciate your support and comments.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

i've recently found and begun reading these AC

and after reading these two, and hearing that Daughter, 17, was doing a unit on sonnets in her AP English 4 class, i read these to her.

we both enjoyed them, and talked about them both for several minutes

 

again, AC, thank you for sharing these words with us

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, mollyhousemouse said:

i've recently found and begun reading these AC

and after reading these two, and hearing that Daughter, 17, was doing a unit on sonnets in her AP English 4 class, i read these to her.

we both enjoyed them, and talked about them both for several minutes

 

again, AC, thank you for sharing these words with us

 

Thanks, Molly! It's awesome to hear you and your daughter discussed these poem based on their merits as Sonnets. That makes me feel great.

 

Thank you again for reading them. <3

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..