Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 2,284 Words
  • 2,174 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Crestfallen - 16. Aidan's Determination

Welp, finals week lasted a lot longer then I originally thought! But break is finally here, and with it brings more chapters!

I don’t think I’ll ever shake the darkness in the air that night. It was as though that small underpass was actually the entrance to hell. I turned towards my mentor, his long blonde hair swaying over his sad gaze. He silently nodded, understanding my look and got back into the driver’s side. I took another second to think things over before climbing back into the car.

“You didn’t have to take me here if you didn’t want to.” I silently pushed out in an attempt to break the tension that was quickly filling the car.

“You had to see it” he sighed “I can see it in your eyes; you’re going to do something stupid…you might as well have me backing you.”

“No, it’s alright” I said looking over at him “I’ll cut this crap…I’ll just lie to my dad or something.”

“and if he finds out?” Eli pushed, staring me down. I felt myself sinking into my seat as he gained the upper hand “If you’re gonna do this then I’m going to make sure you do it right.”

“What exactly am I going to do?” I nervously asked, finally realizing what it would mean to get tougher.

“Fight” he muttered “You want to walk around like you’re the shit; well you ain’t the shit unless you can survive on the streets.”

I felt a small grin cross my face as confidence filled my doubt “I can survive anywhere” Eli let out a deep sigh and finally started the car. He threw me his phone, I typed my address into the GPS and we finally took off. As I went to place his phone into the stand I accidently clicked the home button, and saw the background of a younger Eli cuddled up next to first driver of the car. Eli noticed my stare, and quickly pulled the map up again. “You really miss him huh?”

“That’s a dumb fuckin question man” he spit with venom in an attempt to shut me up.

“You can talk about it if you need…I can’t imagine what it’s like to go through that alone.” I forced trying to break through more than I already had.

“Stop trying to fix shit Aidan” he growled “It’s not like we broke up, or fell out of love. I still love him, he was taken from me and that’s I have to live with.” His speed started to increase with each word he spoke “Why are you so obsessed with cleaning up this shit? If it’s not me, then its Matty’s brother.” I began to sink into my seat even further then I had before “That’s him right? The skinny ass kid I’ve seen at your lunch table.”

“Yeah, that’s Jayden” I muttered

“Good then fix him, I’m sure this fucked him up just as bad.” he sighed, finally finishing his rant.

“What fucked him up? His brother’s death?” Eli rolled his eyes as I tried to dig deeper “How’d he die?” I demanded “None tells me anything! The only shit I know is what I saw on the news or what your old friends told me!”

“He hung himself.” Eli mumbled

I felt something hit my soul as Eli’s words filled the air “Why?” I pushed

“Here you go again” Eli dismissed with a sigh

“Are you serious?” I demanded starting to get frustrated “You just told me to focus on him, how am I supposed to do anything if I don’t know how any of this happened?”

“Long story short Matty should’ve been there and he wasn’t. The last time I saw him was at Jamie’s funeral…you could see in his eyes that he knew it should’ve been him in that coffin not Jamie.” Eli bit, anger starting to show.

“What do you mean it should’ve been him?” I nervously asked pushing my luck further then I should’ve.

“That’s all you get rookie” he let out, I could tell the conversation was killing him inside “Now go get your fucked up price charming.”

“It’s not like that.” I nervously spit, stunned by the sudden change of the conversation.

“Don’t lie to me, you wouldn’t care so much about helping him if you didn’t.” he snickered.

“I care about helping you and I only like you as a friend.” I reluctantly answered

Another snicker escaped his lips and he shook his head. “Says the boy that kissed me like an hour ago.”

“That was a mistake.” I defended “You suck at kissing anyway.”

“Oh shut the fuck up” he said more joking than serious “That was probably your first kiss.”

“My second” I silently shrugged “Jayden was my first” I admitted, even shocking myself with my honesty.

“Oh boy, how’d that go?” Eli teased

“Not well” I sighed shaking my head “He got all weird, and yelled at me about not knowing what he is…I haven’t spoken to him since.”

I could feel disappointment radiating form Eli “You’ve just left him alone? How long ago was this? You have to be there for him you fuckin idiot!”

“Earlier this week!” I sighed “How am I supposed to know any of that?”

“You’re so hopeless.” Eli mumbled “Do yourself a favor and go speak to him tomorrow, even if it’s just being a friend…it sounds like he needs one.”

I nodded as we pulled up to my house “You sure you want to go through with everything we spoke about tonight?” I asked one last time

“What choice do I have?” he mumbled, I let out a sigh and went to speak but he grabbed onto my arm before I could “I’m your mentor now right? How would it look if I let you go onto the streets without me?”

“Pretty shitty” I teased trying to get him to smile one last time.

“Pretty shitty” He agreed, not taking the bait “Just be careful…this isn’t a game.”

“I know, you’ve showed me that tonight” I admitted opening the passenger door, and grabbing my bag “Besides I’m not obsessed with cleaning up this mess…I’ve just found myself in the eye of the storm…and I guess I can’t leave a friend in need.”

He shook his head as I took a step out “We’re not friends” he called out

“You’re right, we’re best friends!” I taunted slamming the door behind me.

I saw the house lights flash on as I began to walk up the driveway. As the door slowly crept open I made out Perry’s outline watching.

“Sir, I’ve been waiting all night for a call or text for when to pick you up” Perry lectured “The least you could’ve done is answer your phone.”

“Sorry Perry” I shrugged “I haven’t checked it all night, I guess we were working too hard” I teased with a smile. Brooke quickly peaked around the corner then quickly hid right back behind it “Was she waiting too?”

Perry let out a sigh “Let’s just call her a concerned sister”

“About?” I eagerly let out. Perry shrugged and made his way back to the kitchen, and Brooke finally stepped out into the light. “Why do you always creep around like that? It’s weird as shit.”

“Who’s car was that?” she immediately slammed

“Eli’s” I replied trying to see what her endgame was “We were working late, and he offered me a ride home, so I took it.”

“Oh yeah?” she said starting to grow suspicious of my lies “and you didn’t think twice before getting into that car?”

“Oh please” I dismissed “He’s a good driver, a lot better than you.” She opened her mouth to speak, but I accidently let out a snicker “He doesn’t total a car after sneaking out to a party!” I spit, going for the cheap shot.

I saw her focus dial in as the low blow hit her “Do yourself a favor, and ask him if he remembers Viper. You might think he’s cute, but there’s a lot more to him than you know.”

“And how would you know?” I pushed out, starting to grow defensive “He’s a good guy, who got the short end of the stick. You wanna know why he’s become such a dick lately? It’s because you guys all treat him like some sort of monster.” Brooke went to speak but I started walking away “I’m over this, go back to your perfect world.”

“You’re such a jerk sometimes Aidan” she mumbled, turning to head back up the stairs. I thought about stopping her and apologizing but stopped myself. Why should I apologize? I didn’t do anything wrong! Whatever, I’ve got bigger things to worry about.

That night I found myself having trouble sleeping, all I could picture was the hell Jayden must go through on a day to day basis. I mean, it’s terrible to lose a loved one, but losing them because they can’t find the will to live anymore…that must fuck you up. When Perry came in to wake me up the next morning it felt as though I had barely slept at all, I dug deep and pulled out enough energy to get me through the morning. The whole car ride to school I felt Brooke giving me dirty look through the rearview mirror, but did my best to ignore them. If she wants to hold a grudge because I was driving around with Eli, then so be it. The second we pulled up to the large brick building I jumped outta the car and made my way to Jayden’s locker.

The second I saw the slim figure attempting to clear his locker I felt even more energy begin to fill my tired body. As I took a step closer I saw a much larger student intentionally give him a shove into the small opening. I picked up my pace, and let the fighter within me begin to breathe.

“Hey!” I shouted at the much bigger opponent “You wanna put your money where your mouth is?” The upperclassman slightly turned his head, smirked and kept walking. I ran up and gave him a good shove to his back, forcing him to drop the book he had been holding “I asked you a question.” He turned and I saw anger bubbling within, I turned toward Jayden and winked “Here we see a blockhead in the prime of his life, little does he know after he graduates he’ll be stuck pumping gas or stocking shelves.” I heard a light laugh come from Jayden, but he quickly bit his lip to catch himself. The upperclassmen took a step forward, and I matched it “Oh no, the wild animal is growing aggressive.” I mocked

“Who the fuck do you think you are?” the bigger man spit

“Why don’t you make a move and find out?” I smiled, confidence beginning to show.

One of the upperclassman’s friends moved in and whispered something. At first he shrugged the whisper off, but the second he turned his attention towards me he took another step back. “Watch your back freshman” he spit turning to walk away.

I smirked, and turned towards Jayden “So we’re just starting right off with crazy today?”

Jayden rolled his eyes and returned his attention to his locker “No one asked you to do that…you probably just made everything worse” he mumbled, but I could sense the hidden appreciation underneath his act.

“Why?” I asked starting to get even more invested “Do those kids usually give you problems? You can always come get me if you need heads to roll, you know that don’t you?”

“Who doesn’t give me problems?” He muttered “and I don’t need you protecting me, especially when you’re the biggest problem.” He droned off

I felt the words begin to hit me, but quickly shook them off “No, I’m the solution.” I joked letting my weight slam against the locker next to him “So what, you don’t know what you are?” I poked. Jayden shot me a nasty look to lower my voice “Look all I know is I've had a lot of fun hanging out with you these past few weeks, and I’m 90% sure you have too. Would it be such a bad thing to just ride along with it and see where things go? We don’t have to label it, or tell anyone if you don’t want to.” I saw him begin to think things over in his mind, and I felt my heart begin to race “It beats ignoring each other…you don’t have to be alone…you have me.” I reached out and gently grazed his arm. “Just think about it okay?”

As I turned to walk away I felt his hand gently wrap around my arm to get me to stay “and If figure out I’m not like that?”

“Then we drop it, and just stay friends.” I let out in a light breathe, not even daring to turn around “Better to say oh well than what if?”

“But I like what if” he let out in a much lighter tone. I finally turned and our eyes met “Alright Mr. Taylor, you get a week, I except to be wowed” he teased.

“Wait really?” I let out, much more excited then I intended. Jayden rolled his eyes and shook his head “Trust me, if you want wow, I’ll get you wow!” I turned once more, and began to walk down the hallway to hide how excited I really was.

“Aidan!” I heard Jayden call out “Where are you going? Shouldn’t we talk about this more or something.”

“To wow you!” I teased, already halfway down the hallway. I felt an involuntary laugh escape my lips. I promise you Jayden, you won’t regret this.

Welp, finals week lasted a lot longer then I originally thought! But break is finally here, and with it brings more chapters!
2016 Ace
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ummm...tread carefully Aidan and don't let your over-enthusiasm ruin this. I have such high hopes for these two, but now I'm seriously worried. It just dawned on me that if his father finds out, this could be the trigger he needs to make Aidan "tougher".

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..