Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 1,684 Words
  • 2,900 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Crestfallen - 23. The Wake Up Call

Practice was just what I needed to clear my head. It put all that frustration and anger to good use. How could someone bully Jayden? He’s so innocent and kind. Why do people feel the need to go around destroying the only beautiful things left in the world? I dare them to try when I’m with him, I’ll tear them limb from limb.

As I climbed into the car I couldn’t help but stare at Perry “Something the matter sir?” he asked, noticing the gaze.

I made eye contact through the rearview mirror, and took a breath “Do you know anything about depression?”

“No, not much sir. Is everything okay?” He asked with a tinge of concern.

“Everything is fine, but I think a friend is going through something…and well…I don’t know how to help him.”

“Well sir, if I may speak freely.” Perry asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Always.” I nodded.

“Depression from my understanding is a very complicated subject. It’s not something that can just be fixed. It requires a lot of time and patience. If you think your friend is suffering from it, then I recommend he or she find a therapist.” He lectured, trying to find an answer to my question.

“Okay, but what can I do to help?” I shifted my gaze out the window “There must be something.”

“There is.” He quickly replied, trying to encourage me “Be there for them. Even if they don’t want to speak, I hear having someone with you can help. Show them you have their back. Whoever this person is, they are lucky to have met you Master Aidan.”

I let out a grunt frustrated with the answer. Why can’t he just be happy? Why does this have to be a whole big process? As we pulled into the house that night I heard the painful noise of glass and countertop. I look towards Perry for support, but he just shrugged his shoulders and headed up the stairs. I tried my best to go unnoticed but the second I walked up the stairs I heard my name being called.

“Yes dad?” I forced out, walking into the kitchen.

“So your wrestling coach called me today, told me you have a match Wednesday.” He spit with a neutral face.

“Yes sir, it’s my first wrestling match ever.” I let out, trying to match his intensity.

“You really think this is going to help you?” he snickered “What does Elijah think of this, I forgot to ask him.”

I shot him a puzzled look at his wording. “Considering its how we met, he’s fine with it.” I spit, wanting the conversation to be over.

My dad took a step forward and stared me down “Watch how you speak to me.”

“Sorry sir.” I said trying to sound as sincere as possible.

“You realize if you lose you’ll just be embarrassing yourself correct?” he antagonized.

“No sir, it’ll help me learn.” I looked up into his eyes and saw disproval “I won’t lose.” I spit changing my attitude.

He moved his mouth from one side to the other flashing anger. “I won’t be there when you ultimately do, but I suppose then you’ll see my side of things, and start taking MMA seriously.”

“I take MMA seriously.” I defended biting back anger.

He rolled his eyes at my words “Your stitches tell another story.”

“They’re battle scars.” I corrected “They show I survived what attacked me.”

“They show that you almost lost. Don’t get lost in clichés to try and protect your little ego Aidan. Man up and start taking all this shit seriously.” I could see intensity grow in his face, just like it always seemed to do during our late night conversations “Perhaps Elijah can get that across to you, after all he’s got something wicked cooking for you, and it’s coming much sooner than you think.”

“You spoke with him again?” I let out, trying to hide shock.

“Don’t ever say your old man doesn’t look out for you.” He said proudly, believing what he was doing was a good thing.

I had to stop myself from shaking my head, I wanted to know what exactly they had spoken about, but at the same time I’d rather die! “I have to go shower and get some sleep, may I be excused?”

“You’re excused.” He spit back, done with the conversation.

It took a bit to shake the idea of my dad speaking to Eli, but after I was finally able to I slept like a baby. If there was any good to that conversation it was that it helped distract me from Jayden.

Suddenly I was woken up to the sound of my door opening. At first I thought I was still sleeping, but as I saw a dark figure approach me, I knew I was awake. I felt adrenaline hit me, and flew out of my bed. I moved in to strike, but a familiar voice stopped me in my tracks.

“Eli?” I called out, turning on the lights “What the fuck are you doing in my bedroom? How the fuck did you get into the house? Its 4 am what the fuck man?”

“Good mornin buttercup” He spit with a smile.

“What the fuck?” I repeated, caught in a mental loop.

“You said you wanted to toughen up” a devious smile crossed his face “That means being ready for anything.”

“So you wake me up in the middle of the night?” I spit in frustration “You’re just getting back at me for this morning!”

“Talking out of anger once again?” he smugly laughed “Your dad was right, you do need to work on being bitchy.”

“I’m not bitchy” I pouted, taking a seat on my bed “I’m just tired.”

“Sleep is for the weak.” Eli growled “You want to jump into the underground but you underestimate everything those people are capable of. They’ll find out where you live, and maim you in your sleep.”

I rolled my eyes at his exaggeration “Oh please, you, my sister and Jayden’s brother were all involved in the underground, and last I checked none of your houses got broken into.”

I saw something evil flash in Eli’s eyes, and he ripped off his shirt, exposing what perfect shape he was in. Yet as he walked closed I could see much more than muscles and abs. Thick scarring covered his chest as though he had been whipped, and as he turned I saw branding in the shape of a scythe on his back. “You think I’m fucking playing.” He snarled “This is what they did to me, and it was just over racing. Fighting is a whole new fucking world. They straight up trade blood for blood, some of the shit I’ve seen down there…it’s unlike anything else in this fucking world.”

I wiped my eyes still thinking I was dreaming, I tried to get closer to inspect the scaring but Eli moved back “Is that what happened when you got kidnapped?” I spit, trying to recall the news story.

“Don’t worry about it” he growled, throwing his shirt back on “Just know you’ve been warned.”

“No!” I screamed out as he approached the door “None of this makes any fucking sense. You wake me up at 4 am! I deserve some freakin answers! And don’t you dare say I’m being impulsive right now, this is just fuckin madness!”

He looked at me and scowled “Because waking you up at 4 am…it’s something you’ll never forget. Showing you what happened…” he looked away for a brief second “It’ll show you how real it is down there. I can’t emphasize enough to you that this is not a joke. A lot of money goes into these fights, a lot of powerful people call the shots down there…things have changed since last year.”

I threw myself back onto my bed “Then fuck it, I don’t need any more drama like that in my life. I have enough on my plate as is!”

“Too late” he regretfully spit “Your father reached out to me after school today with ideas on how to get you stronger…they were a bit…”

“Inhumane?” I offered trying to finish his sentence.

Eli shook his head in disgust “Something like that.” He sighed “I told him my plan so far, if anything to get him off our backs…I had no idea how onboard he would be.”

I felt my heart begin to race and sat up “What do you mean?” I felt my eyes begin to widen as the possibilities flew threw my head.

“Well we’ll have security down there.” Eli grunted, showing that he would much rather be discreet “What kinda freakin father do you have?”

“The one who sees me as an investment.” I grunted, starting to gain back frustration “He sees what fighters like Nate Diaz go through, and wants to recreate that through me, but that’s NOT me.”

“Well Rook” Eli shrugged “It better damn well start to be.”

I shook my head in disgust “Why are you even still in on this? If he’s taking over it means that he’s going to start controlling it.”

Eli shook his head once more “I’ve got the connections, and I’ll be the one calling the shots besides he’s made me a deal I can’t pass on.”

“What deal?” I prodded, expecting Eli to give me a smile, but what I saw caused concern in my heart I didn’t know I had. His face showed no emotions, but his eyes told that he was getting something he didn’t want…but that he needed.

“Good night kid.” He spit “Consider this your warning…be ready for anything.”

“Wait” I shouted as he stepped out the doorway “Why a scythe?” I spit, knowing this was going to be the only chance I got.

“Don’t fear the reaper” he growled slamming the door behind him.

That night I couldn’t sleep. I didn’t know nightmares could terrify you while you were awake, but it seems as though my life is going to become a lot more complicated.

2016 Ace
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I do not like the fact that eli and jaydens dad talked. Especially about the wicked world as the underground. This cannot be good. Only evil can surface as the outcome. Poor jayden. Hugs. Good chapter otherwise.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I do really enjoy your story and I think you write well. But ... do you realize how many times you use "spit" as a synonym for "say? "Defended" also makes a few too many appearances. Try mixing up the language a little more; your editor should be telling you this!

Link to comment
On 01/01/2017 07:13 PM, CLS said:

I do really enjoy your story and I think you write well. But ... do you realize how many times you use "spit" as a synonym for "say? "Defended" also makes a few too many appearances. Try mixing up the language a little more; your editor should be telling you this!

Whoops sorry about that! I suppose it's just one of those tendencies I have that I don't notice! Thank you for letting me know though! I've spent most of this morning researching words to use instead, so hopefully things seem a little less repetitive in the upcoming chapters. Please don't be afraid to let me know of any other odd tendencies I have, without all of your help and support I doubt I would have made it this far!

Link to comment

So are we ever going to find out exactly why Aiden's dad is stark raving mad?  Actually, poor choice of words since by definition there doesn't have to be a reason for that but I think you know what I mean.  That he considers Aiden an "investment" doesn't quite explain it.

Link to comment

I didn't read much of book one, but I would guess Aiden's dad pushed Brooke into racing too. He's could be one of the big wigs in the underground scene for all we know. 

Link to comment
On 1/2/2017 at 6:04 AM, Aceinthehole said:

Whoops sorry about that! I suppose it's just one of those tendencies I have that I don't notice! Thank you for letting me know though! I've spent most of this morning researching words to use instead, so hopefully things seem a little less repetitive in the upcoming chapters. Please don't be afraid to let me know of any other odd tendencies I have, without all of your help and support I doubt I would have made it this far!

Hey I just accept that as part of your character and something that defines you and sets you apart from other authors. This is your story to tell so tell it your way. There are enough of us around who love your writing without the need to anally critique every literary construct. Keep up the good work Ace.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..