Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 3,168 Words
  • 2,769 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Crestfallen - 25. All Out War!

The sting of defeat radiated in my chest, as I pulled the towel further over my head. All I could do was reply the match over and over again in my head. How could I be so reckless? How could I let myself get tossed around that easily? How could I lose?

Everyone shifted down the bench, and Jack took a seat next to me. “Well kid, you did the one thing we really didn’t want.” I groaned as he spoke, not realizing it was a joke “Take it easy. It was your first wrestling match ever, and it was at varsity level.”

“I don’t lose.” I angrily grunted “I’ve been training since I was about 8 years old. I don’t freakin lose.”

“Well you just did kid, and you better bet your sweet ass it’s going to happen again in your life.” Jack lectured “You know, the first time I wrestled I lost same with Xavier, and Timmy over here.” Both of the other seniors nodded along with his words. “It’s all a part of learning, so you can sit here and cry about it or you can be a part of the team. “

“But didn’t I let all you guys down?” I let out, still not looking up.

“No, you’re a 15 year old going against a 17 year old. We all thought you were going to die in there! Forget what I said, there was no way we’re getting out of here with a win against Chatham, so we decided to give you your first taste of action.” Jack shook his head and laughed a bit “Just enjoy being one of the guys, we’ll hit the gym again tomorrow and all get better. Like you said, you’re a trained fighter, you’ve got the skill, you just have to learn how to put it all together. Tournaments are a long way away, and I get the feeling that once you get a hang of things, you’ll be a major weapon.”

“Thanks Jack” I sighed, ego still bruised but feeling better.

I saw him glimpse back and stare “Yeah no worries. Think you need a better mentor though.”

I looked back and was surprised to find Eli in the crowd “I didn’t even know he was here.”

“It’s the least he could do, seems like he needs to learn how to be a better role model.” Eli caught the stare and reflected it right back at Jack “Asshole” he whispered under his breath.

The rest of the night went better. I was able to bond with the guys, and learn a bit more from actually watching. At one point my coach came over with an iPad, and showed me the replay of my match. He slowly broke down every flaw. “You were thinking too much. You can’t think and wrestle at the same time!” he instructed. I nodded to his words and took them in. Go in and execute. That’s all I have to do from now on. The pain of defeat seemed to resurface when the final match ended. I threw my gear into my bag, and threw sweatpants and a sweatshirt over my uniform. I took a deep breath before turning and facing my friends.

“Ha you were wearing a unitard” Henry cackled finally reaching the floor. I rolled my eyes and threw my bag over my shoulder “Oh come on! You looked funny!”

Ivy elbowed him in the side to get him to shut up “You did fine out there, it was your first match, what’d you expect?”

“Don’t patronize me” I moaned “I got my ass kicked.

“Yeah ya did” Eli hissed from behind me “You’ll get over it though. Keep your head up, you’re a freshman on varsity, you’re in for a rough year, but take it from me. It’ll make you better than you ever imagined.” And just like that he waltzed out of the gym.

The four of us let his words soak the air before Jayden finally reached out and lightly touched my arm. I saw Ivy and Henry gasp, but pretended not to. “You gonna be okay?” he said in an almost whisper.

I nodded my head “I’ll live.”

He saw his mom walk into the gym to pick him up, and waived for her to stop. We all couldn’t help but laugh as he turned red. “Guess I gotta go” he awkwardly mumbled “I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” I smiled and nodded to him to let him know I would be okay, and just like that he was off.

“So what was that about?” Ivy said with a half grin on her face.

“What was what about?” I smiled, trying my best to play innocent.

I saw suspicion cross her face, as her grin grew “He touched you and you didn’t even flinch.”

“Oh he did?” I asked, still playing dumb “I didn’t even notice, guess I’m just distracted.” I shrugged, and began to walk towards Brooke and Perry “I’m outta here.”

“Wait up!” I heard Henry yell, as he ran up next to me “You’re actually pretty bummed about this huh?”

“You could say that.” I exhaled, keeping my face forward

“Well knock it off.” He scolded in a deep voice “I haven’t seen this woe is me side of you since we were kids, and I don’t exactly love it. So what you lost! You’re still a damn good fighter! What did Conor McGregor do after he lost to Diaz?”

“He trained, came back, rematched Nate, and went the full 5 rounds.” I replied, still not looking at him.

“You’re damn right he did, and he’s a better fighter for it. Losing makes you better!” Henry was almost screaming in my ear at this point “I’m going to be honest with you. You suck at wrestling. Your ground game just flat out sucks! The only time it every looked good was against that acrobat, who frankly had no right being in the same cage as you. So yeah you’re gonna get thrown around, and yeah it’s gonna hurt! But you’re not a quitter.” He slammed into me with his shoulder, and I finally looked up at him “I’m gonna tell you what you’re gonna do. You’re gonna go to the gym, both MMA and wrestling practice, and you’re gonna kick ass, because that’s what you do. That’s what we as a team do.”

“You’re a piece of work.” I let out with a small smile growing on my face.

“Your damn right I am!” he proclaimed proudly.

“Thanks…I wouldn’t be here without you.” I quietly confessed.

“Hell yeah, and don’t you forget that!” He yelled, walking back to Ivy.

As I finally approached Brooke and Perry, neither of them dared to say anything. I kept walking and didn’t stop until I was in the backseat of the car. As we rode Brooke looked back every now and then, still keeping quiet. Finally she opened her mouth to say something, but immediately back tracked, and slid down into her seat.

I moved my mouth from side to side and looked at both of them “I’m fine.” I said, finally breaking the silence “I just really don’t want to talk about it.”

“We’re here when you want to sir” Perry supported, without skipping a beat.

After what felt like an eternity we finally pulled into the garage. I waited in the car for a few extra minutes, still gathering my thoughts. When I was sure everything was quiet I finally got out of the car, and tried to make it to my room as quietly as possible.

“Aidan!” I heard my dad call, just like he did the night before.

I bit down on my lip, and regretfully made my way into the kitchen “Yes sir?”

“I heard what happened tonight.” His gaze pierced through me, and I could see disappointment in his face. “Are you going to quit wrestling, and actually listen to me now?”

I slowly began to nod, but caught myself. Both Jack and Henry’s words echoed in my head like a symphony “No sir.”

My dad did his best to hide the frustration on his face as he turned away. “Whatever, I guess you just like being a loser. You just better be able to bring it Friday night, because I am not accepting defeat, do you understand me?”

“Yes sir.” I barked back, trying to sound as confident as possible.

“You’re excused.” He spit, beginning to walk into the living room.

I ran up to my room and threw myself onto my bed. I know it’s only 1 loss…but still I worked sooooo damn hard. All the hours I put in, all the effort, and I got tossed around like a fuckin rag doll. I let all the sorrow, and pain hit me like a train. As the waves rolled on I began to feel anger bubble. I’m better than that…I’m better than this! That night I slept like a baby, knowing damn well that I’ll earn a chance to redeem myself. This isn’t over…not by a long shot.

The next day I went to school with a chip on my shoulder. I wore a scowl so mean; I could notice the kids avoiding me in the hallway. I could tell Jayden was concerned, but didn’t know what to say. I felt bad, but this is just something I need to work through. That day at practice I worked until I couldn’t stand straight. There were a few times where I had to go throw up, but consistently returned to practice anyway. I know I’m hitting my body’s limits…but these limits aren’t good enough for me. I need to become something better than what I am. I need to become a champion. The anger slowly subsided and confidence took its place, I felt the smile return to my face and wore it proudly until late Friday night.

I swear I could hear that red mechanical beast all the way from my bedroom. I took a long look at all the family pictures that decorated my bedroom before finally sneaking out the back. There’s no doubt in my mind that things will never be the same after I take this plunge. As I approached the car I noticed thick strips of electrical tape covering the license plate.

I rolled my eyes, and popped into the passenger’s seat. “Isn’t that going to get you pulled over?”

“Can’t pull over what you can’t catch.” Eli growled, throwing the car into drive.

Once more the powerful engine seemed to shake through the car and right into me. I can’t believe something so powerful exists…I can’t believe I’m riding in it. I mean this is the car from the news stories…this is the car that caused so much pain! How can Eli just drive it like it’s nothing? I looked over at the driver and noticed his thick leather jacket, and bright red hood. I could see nothing on his face but focus and anger.

“You’re gonna listen to everything I say down here.” He demanded, as we finally pulled up to the large underpass. I nodded not knowing what else to do. A man at the opening seemed to immediately notice the car, and waved it in. We pulled between two large SUVs and 4 men popped out of both. All 8 were armed, and seemed as though they were ready to go to war at any moment. “Your father hired an army. I guess he cares about your safety.”

“Something like that” I groaned, barely able to sit still.

Eli pulled the hood over his head, and a red ski mask over the lower side of his face. I watched in awe as he exited the car, took a deep breath, and followed him.

“Velocity!” one of the big guards called out “Returning to watch another fight night?”

“Yeah” he grumbled “and this time I brought a fighter of my own.”

“Oh yeah? Looking to make a quick buck?” the guard offered.

“No, we’re not accepting any money. We’re here to take over.” He commanded

The guard made a face, and seemed to work out something in his head. “Then this is static?”

“Yeah” Eli grunted.

“Oh good.” The guard nodded “You fight second; the boss would like to speak with you…”

“No.” Eli let out “Static fights, and goes home. That’s it. No one meets him.”

“Boss isn’t going to like that.” The guard rumbled.

“Oh yeah? He ready to go to war over it?” Eli fought back, pointing out all the security we had with us.

“Guess not” the guard sighed, beginning to walk away.

Eli looked to me and nodded, signaling that he was going to be controlling everything. The guards took position at the front and the back of the cars so no one could get towards us without first being checked. It was clear that Eli wasn’t taking any risks in his full return to the black market.

Suddenly my father popped out of the back doors of the car and stood next to me. My heart beat grew even faster and I looked up at him “I thought you had to leave for New York tonight. What are you doing here?”

“Couldn’t take the chance of missing this, at least not after your blunder on Wednesday. I’ll leave for the city after your fight. Do not disappoint, is that clear?” he snarled

“Yes sir” I spit redirecting my attention to the first fight that was beginning.

“Anything goes down here.” He instructed “It’s not like at your gym. You can fight doing anything… in anyway. Be as brutal as you can be and don’t get hit, you got that?” I nodded to his words, and he handed me fighting tape. I was so nervous that I was barely able to even get myself taped up. I looked on in horror as I saw grown men kicking the shit out of one another. Blood flew everywhere as the two fighters went to war. There were a few moments where I had to look away…it was just too brutal, even for me.

I heard the roar of the crowd, and smelt the blood in the air. At first the sensation filled me with adrenaline, and I felt a sensation slowly begin to engulf me, but fought it back. This isn’t a place for me…I’m not meant for this world. I looked up at my dad and remembered that I really didn’t have a choice. I did my best to embrace this new found feeling, but my soul rejected it every chance it got. The internal battle raged on as we were waved over to the circle where the fighting was taking place.

Eli grabbed onto my shoulders and pulled me to the side. “Remember that feeling you felt Wednesday when you got your ass kicked?” I nodded to his harsh tone, and pushed him off of me “Yeah well now imagine that times 10. You don’t just lose down here…you get massacred. You want to keep that pretty boy face of yours? Well then be prepared to do shit you never thought you would.” I nervously shook my head once more, and wandered to the center of everyone’s attention.

A woman who wore just enough to cover her boobs, and lower half wandered into the middle. “Tonight we have the debut of a young fighter named Static, brought to us by no other than the legend himself, Velocity.” She announced. The crowd went nuts when they heard Eli’s alias, he truly was regarded as something else down here. “He’ll be facing off against a veteran of the ring. Someone more than double his age. With a record of 38-19, The Elder.” A much older man who stood nearly the same height as me entered across from me. I saw something mean flash in his eyes, and did my best to mirror it. I threw off my shirt, exposing the shape I was in, and this time he did his best to copy me. I lifted my chin, and showed nothing but confidence.

I took a deep breath and centered myself. I completely forgot where I was, and focused on fighting. I can totally take this grandpa. The woman walked out, and suddenly a bell rang. I heard the roars of the crowd that surrounded me, and before I knew it I saw the older man begin to charge at me. I lifted up a kick right to his side, stopping him dead in his tracks. I hopped back, keeping light on my feet and met him with another kick. It was clear the man relied on brute force, and intimidation to fight. That may work down here, but that can never match up to a professional like me. Every time the man went to approach me I kept him at bay with a jab or a kick. I heard the crowed grow unsettled, as neither of made any real progress. I looked around and took the atmosphere in, fuck it! I quickly ducked in and slammed the man with a punch to his face. He stumbled back and I connected with a second. The crowd began to roar as I took the offensive. The man fell onto all fours, and I lost myself in the moment. I wined back my foot and slammed him across the face with a kick. As a combination of blood and teeth began to drip out of his mouth I was brought right back down to earth. To my surprise the man tried to get back up, but I met him with a swift punch to the head, quickly putting him to sleep but more importantly sparing him from anymore pain.

The crowd began to furiously boo, and yell out as they noticed the level of aggression I lacked. The crowd seemed to grow louder and louder as I went to walk out. I mean sure when it’s in a cage with medics and trainers around fine! But I straight up kicked this man in the face with a shoe, and no one is rushing to his aid! What was I supposed to do? Tear him apart?

Suddenly Eli met me in the ring and raised one of his hands, instantly quieting the crowd. “Everybody shut the fuck up!” He screamed “Boohoo you didn’t see a man die today. You still saw a crazy fucking fight. I mean hell that man’s going to need a wired jaw because of my boy here! There’s much more where that came from, and he will grow more vicious with time. You guys just wait and see.” I saw something demonic enter his eyes as he addressed the crowd “Don’t forget who the fuck I am! I don’t come down here to disappoint.”

I felt fear settle in as we made eye contact. This is far from the Eli I know at school…and that’s saying something!

2016 Ace
  • Like 16
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I hope for Aidens sake he doesn't turn himself into another Reaper. Eli is surely someone not to mess with down there. This all came about because of Jamie. Hugs Aiden, at least he stopped before he did something that he would regret later.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well, he won't be free until his father is gone - the mans idea of fighting seems to come from goddamn comics and cartoons.  "Don't get hit" really?  Everyone gets hit in martial arts - it's a fact.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like the story but find the casualness towards violence and lack of empathy disturbing. i am just a mere trail runner but I know that injuries both hurt and the damage cannot be dismissed at will. While soldiers may need to kill and maim to stay alive, that does not mean it does not take its toil on their hearts and minds.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Sorry, I am going to have to stop reading your stories.  There is nothing good to come out of them.  It's almost like being gay is accepted, and so for that matter is gang violence illegal racing and illegal fighting...and everyone is doing it.  I think your ideas ore delusional and unrealistic. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, stlstage said:

Sorry, I am going to have to stop reading your stories.  There is nothing good to come out of them.  It's almost like being gay is accepted, and so for that matter is gang violence illegal racing and illegal fighting...and everyone is doing it.  I think your ideas ore delusional and unrealistic. 

Sorry to hear that. It is an unfortunate truth in our day in age that the Southside of Chicago experiences a very large amount of gang violence. To make matters worse they use children commonly referred to as "little weapons" to do their bidding. In the same light Illegal streetracing in New Jersey is an issue. It has been since I myself was in a New Jersey High School and yes, tried to be a street racer (extremely stupid choice on my part). Illegal fighting I'm not as familiar with, however I'm a fiction writer. I create what I think seems interesting. 

 

I'm not sure what you mean by "it's almost like being gay is accepted". In certain parts of this country it is accepted. In other parts it is not. If you read my story The Spotlight we see this contradiction with the characters Ryder Sullivan and Teddy Haner. The reason I don't address homophobia in the underground series is simply because it's done in most stories on this site. 

 

In an effort to address the claim that my ideas are "unrealistic" and "delusional" here are some articles that show these are real problems in our world. In addition none of these things are accepted in my stories. Illegal Street racing costs Jamie Free his life. Illegal Fighting causes Aiden Taylor a lot of emotional trauma. His past gang affiliation haunt Riley Walker. My stories point to a criminal world we have chosen to ignore and the impact it can have on teens trying to find their identity. The fact they are gay is simply so I can relate myself to them.

 

Where Chicago Teenagers Get Their Guns

 

Newark [Newark, New Jersey]  cops crackdown on street racing has history

What It's Like To Be A Member Of NYC's Secretive 'Fight Club'

 

 

Edited by Aceinthehole
  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm not liking where this is going. I'd have thought Eli would have stayed away from the underground especially after everything with Jamie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I wish Aidan had chosen a different path forward.  Can easily understand how hard it is to buck a parent, even one that may be that in name only.  Thus begins his Childhood's End.  Based on Book I, he makes it, but the road taken may not have been the difference that made it better.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I just don't get how some people think stories should only be fluffy pandas and pink elephants. Life can be hard and sometimes dark, not looking to glorify it, but it's out there. Damn this story is good because it shows us something different that we might not be used to or want to even acknowledge, but it's worth being told. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..