Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 2,700 Words
  • 2,629 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Crestfallen - 30. A Deal with the Devil

It’s funny how things can change in such a small amount of time. I would’ve never guessed Jayden would be ready to label us so fast...there was a while where I thought it would never happen! Yet with every passing day I see his confidence grow…I see him grow. It’s been a long road, but I wouldn’t trade it for the world.

“So maybe Brittany, me and you two can go on a double date at some point.” Henry announced breaking me out of my thought.

“No” I laughed shrugging him off.

“Don’t be rude.” Jayden reprimanded. I could tell by the look on his face that he was just happy to be accepted.

Our eyes connected, and I gave him a disappointed look “Hey Henry” I shifted “What’s Brittany’s last name?”

“That’s not important.” Henry quickly replied.

I raised my eyebrows and leaned back in my chair “Case and point.”

“So what?” Jayden defended “You didn’t know I was Jewish.”

I saw some heat grow in his eyes, and could tell wasn’t ready to give up just yet. “Yeah but that’s totally different.”

“How so?” Henry poked, quickly joining Jayden.

“Religion is like private and shit.” I nodded, proud of my excuse “You learn someone’s last name when you meet them.”

“That’s bullshit and you know it” Henry argued leaning back in his chair.

Jayden nodded along “Total bullshit.”

“Who’s side are you on anyway?” I laughed, giving him a playful shove.

“Honestys” He teased, attempting to push back “Why can’t we go on a date with Henry and his girlfriend?”

“Woh girlfriend?” Henry screamed, scooting back “Lets relax with that word.”

I tilted my head and gave him an I told ya so look “Asked and answered.” Jayden giggled.

“Besides we haven’t even been on a real date yet.” I sighed.

Jayden shrugged his shoulders and thought about it “We’re having dinner together tomorrow.”

“With your parents.” I emphasized “Maybe we’ll do something this weekend.”

“Just tell me when.” He let out with a tinge of nerves.

“Saturday at 7.” I announced.

“That’s his Sabbath.” Ivy grunted, finally jumping into the conversation.

“Yeah” Jayden giggled “and mom totally isn’t going to let me miss two Saturdays in a row.”

“Fine then Sunday” I exhaled staring down Ivy.

“Don’t give me that look.” She scolded “I just helped you.”

“Well maybe my date was to go to church with him.” I lied, emphasizing the stare.

“It’s a Synagogue not a church.” Jayden corrected

“Oh so we’re gonna do this Sanders?” I teased giving him another shove.

“Stop!” he laughed, as I overpowered him once more “It’s not fair, that’s abuse!”

“Oh shhh” I hushed “You’re just as big a bully.”

“Not my fault you chose gloves over books.” He taunted in retaliation. Ivy had to look away to disguise her laughter.

“You’ve got jokes now?” I poked, threatening to give him another push.

“I’ve got wit.” He corrected, staring at me.

“You’re cute” I let out, without even thinking about it.

“Alright!” Henry interrupted. “I’m all for you guys being a couple but keep the flirting to yourselves!”

“Sorry” I laughed as my face quickly turned a bright shade of red “That one slipped.” I glanced over at Jayden and saw him bright faced and fighting off a smile. I could tell small compliments went a long way for him.

“Don’t be.” Ivy interrupted “It was sweet.”

“I’ve gotta get ready for class.” Jayden sighed, straightening himself up “I’ll see you guys later.” He nervously moved his mouth from side to side “Thanks for being…thanks for accepting us.” He corrected, unsure how to go about it.

“Don’t worry about it.” Henry shrugged “We’re happy you guys are happy.” Ivy nodded along to his words and smiled.

Jayden nervously stood up and looked around to make sure no one was looking “See you in history.” He quickly let out, landing a kiss on my cheek before scurrying away.

“Oh not cool!” Henry screamed. I couldn’t’ help but laugh and put my hand up to where Jayden kissed me “Oh no…Oh no. What’s that look Aidan!” Henry shouted “You’re catching feelings! Oh my god, we’re 15! You two just started dating!”

“People catch feelings when they date!” Ivy defended “That’s how dating goes! But I have to say, that was very unlike Jayden.”

“It was” I smiled, still surprised by his sudden show of affection “He’s been like this since Saturday…I don’t know where any of its come from.”

“You fixed a birds broken wing.” Henry answered, changing his tone “and now he’s ready to start flying.”

“Yeah I guess he is” I nodded as my smile grew.

Henry exhaled a deep breath “I don’t know if I should tell you this…I told Jayden I wouldn’t…but this morning Jordan Harris was giving him some shit.”

The smile faded from my face, and I felt anger begin to take it’s place “What type of shit?”

Henry’s face quickly changed to determination “Let’s just say they’ve met before…just say the words and I’ll handle it.”

“No, it’s not your…”

“It’s fine.” He interrupted “It’s been a few months since I’ve been in a real fight. Just give me the green light and it’s dealt with.”

Our eyes locked and the bell rang. A million thoughts rushed my mind at once. I looked to Henry and the mutual confidence we shared was restored. “It’s all yours, but I didn’t hear anything about it.” Henry nodded, understanding what I was saying. He isn’t exactly MMA material, but make no mistake Henry can throw down. I’ve seen him absolutely destroy bullies before. Raised on the streets, he fights with grit and anger, he’s ruthless in the ways I could never be.

The rest of the day I couldn’t help but sit in anger. Jordan Harris…that fucking pig! You know those kids who hit their prime in high school? Yeah the type who wind up pumping gas for the rest of their lives? Well that’s the type of kid Jordan Harris is. This isn’t my first run in with that piece of shit; I’ve had issues with him before, and every time it’s ended with us both battered and bloody. I’m usually good at taking down bigger guys, but standing at 6’2 Jordan is no easy fight. Henry’s got enough size and bravery to rip him down…in a lot of ways I look up to him as a fighter. I always say I can beat him up, and when we’re grappling I usually do…but damn I wouldn’t want to be in a street fight against him.

During history I could barely even look towards Jayden. I shouldn’t be mad at him…but he needs to tell me these things! If someone’s giving him a hard time I should be the first to know! He’s mine to care for…he’s mine to protect. As the bell finally rang to end the day I walked him to his locker without saying a word.

“Are you made because I kissed you in front of everyone?” he gently poked with a slight blush.

I looked at him and shook my head. “Why didn’t you tell me?” I let out without even thinking.

“Tell you?” he repeated with a small smile.

Our eyes locked, and I flashed him a look to show I wasn’t joking around. “About Jordan Harris.”

He let out a short groan and leaned against his locker “I knew Henry would tell you! He’s got such a big mouth! I mean I even stood up for him at lunch!” he complained, but noticed I wasn’t backing down “Look Aidan, we’ve spoken about this before. You can’t protect me from everything remember?”

“That was before we started dating!” I stubbornly insisted “Look if it’s just name calling…whatever…but I know Jordan…I know it’s a lot more than that.” Jayden went to put his hand up to shh me but I slapped my hand against the lockers in frustration “I can’t just sit by and let you turn into some punching bag!” He nervously backed up, anxious by how angry I was. “I’m sorry.” I mumbled “but you know me. You know….”

“I do.” he sighed taking a step forward “but you can’t freak out every single time something happens, it’ll just make everything worse.” He discreetly reached for my hand “just promise you won’t do anything.”

“I won’t do anything” I shrugged taking my hand back.

“What’s that tone mean?” he asked with skeptical eyes.

I shrugged once more and took a few steps back “It means I won’t be getting involved.”

“Aidan!” he yelled catching up to me “What did you do?”

“Nothing, I guess you’re right I wasn’t there to see anything…it’s not my fight.” I smiled, turning the corner.

Jayden did his best to stay on my tail “Henry!” he exhaled in frustration “Why?” he angrily questioned “Why are you getting him involved?”

“He offered, I accepted.” I explained, finally reaching my locker.

Jayden put his hand on my locker, but I overpowered him and pulled it open. “Do you know what you just did?” he pushed, anger turning into anxiety “You just made things so much worse for me!”

“No we didn’t” I spit turning and staring at him “Henry’s going to beat the shit out of him today, and if he bothers you again tomorrow , I’m going to find him and break his fingers, and the cycle is going to continue over and over until he either stops or is in a wheelchair.”

“What makes you think you can even handle him?” I’ve seen Jayden go through a lot of emotions, but I’ve never seen him this upset “You’re a good fighter, I get it, but this kid’s so big…he’s so scary.”

“Trust me I can handle him.” I mumbled, returning my attention to my locker.

“But how do you know that?” Jayden nervously probed, beginning to anxiously play with my locker door.

I grabbed onto the small metal door, and held it still “Because I have something he doesn’t”

“Stupidity?” Jayden irritably offered

“No, someone to fight for.” I answered, slamming my locker shut “I have you in mind in everything I do okay?” I nervously mumbled “Why would I ever put you in a position to get hurt?”

Jayden shook his head not having an answer. “I’m still mad at you.” He muttered, looking down.

“I can live with that as long as you’re safe.” I sighed reaching out and forcing his head up.

“I guess I like you.” He let out, finally calming down.

“I like you too, now go catch your buss.” I laughed, pushing him away.

As his scrawny frame disappeared down the hallway, Ivy walked up and bumped into me. “I thought you “didn’t know anything about it”” she mocked doing her best to imitate my voice.

“I guess I couldn’t keep it quiet.” I mumbled

“What a surprise!” she exclaimed “Aidan Taylor, letting his emotions get the better of him! It’s always the smallest things with you.”

“Go home Ivy” I groaned

She stuck out her tongue as she began to walk away “I’m not leaving because you told me to, I’m leaving because my mom’s here.”

“Oh I’m sure” I teased, faking enthusiasm.

Another day, another practice I spent pushing myself to my limit. Every time I was thrown or lost a matchup I thought of Jayden…I thought of needing to get better…I thought of needing to protect him. As I finally got home I found my dad waiting for me. “Aidan” he called out “What do you say you and I go train a little downstairs?”

You’ve got to be kidding me! “Yes sir” I forced out.

“Oh don’t look so tired, it’ll be like old times.” He boomed, leading me down to the basement “You know there was a time when you would sit by the door waiting for me to start training?”

I subtly rolled my eyes, but didn’t say anything. As I finally reached the bottom of the stairs he tossed a roll of tape to me and got ready to brace the bag. “Not too late tonight, I did just come from practice.” I whined, beginning to tape up my fists.

“Sleep is for the weak Aidan.” My dad lectured “Strong men like us don’t need it.”

“Why are you in such a good mood?” I asked, trying to sound respectful.

“Simple.” He replied with a smile “Business is thriving. We just absorbed two big apartment buildings in the city. Your inheritance is growing by the day; you just have to earn it.” I shrugged my shoulders, and finally started throwing punches at the bag. “You know, you’ve got another fight on Wednesday.”

“Are you sure sir?” I asked, trying to keep my focus “No one from the gym called to let me know.”

He cleared his throat and tried to make eye contact “Not that type of fight.”

“Oh” I nodded, still not looking up. “You gonna be there?”

“Are you going to be there?” He corrected “You’re a Taylor, speak properly.”

“Yes sir.” I replied, dialing in my focus a bit more

“No I won’t be.” He finally answered “However I’ve decided that tonight, and tomorrow night I’ll help you with some extra training.”

“No, that’s not gonna work.” I felt his eyes beam down on me “Sorry sir, I have practice” I quickly fixed, correcting how I spoke to him.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see suspicion growing on his face “What type of practice?”

“Wrestling” I quickly answered.

“You had wrestling practice today Aidan.” He lectured with a booming voice “You should get done at the same time.”

His voice grew strict as he snuffed out my lies “Alright fine sir, I have a dinner tomorrow.” I confessed “but it’s extremely important to me.”

“With who?” He questioned, voice growing a bit heavier.

“My friend Jayden.” I mumbled. “like I said, this dinner is important to me.”

“Speak clearly; it’s beneath you to mumble.” He instructed

“Yes sir.” I answered loudly “Remember Jayden gave me stitches that one time? You told me I could hang out with him whenever.”

“It’s the day before a fight Aidan.” He criticized, thinking it over “No, you can’t go.”

“Dad!” I pleaded, starting to throw harder punches “I can’t stress how important this is to me. I need to be there. There must be something I can do.” I begged.

“This boy…he means a lot to you?” my dad asked, releasing the bag

“Yes sir” I shyly admitted, finally looking up at my dad

“I’ll tell you what. You can go to dinner tomorrow” he decided “but on one condition.”

I felt my heart jump to my throat “What’s that?”

“If you go tomorrow then on Wednesday I want 5 of your opponents teeth handed to me. If I don’t get them, then you’re never allowed to see this boy again.” He offered.

“Fine” I impulsively let out “But if I give you the teeth then I get to see Jayden whenever I want.” I negotiated. My dad thought the proposition over in his head “Deal” he nodded, extending his hand. I reached out and shook it. “So that’s how to get through to you.” My dad let out in a guttural laugh.

A bad feeling filled my chest as I heard his words “What?”

“Through your heart.” He shook his head “Boy I never actually believed you when you said you were a queer, but I guess you are.”

“Woh, I never said we were dating.” I defended

“You didn’t have to.” He spit back “You called him important multiple times, and I can see it on your face.”

“You’ll leave him alone sir” I spoke ordering more than talking.

“Get me those teeth and we’ll see.” He responded, wandering towards the stairs “Don’t forget you’ve made me a proud father, don’t go back on that.”

Guilt began to fill my heart, but my confidence fought it back. I’ve beaten the teeth out of people before, I’ll do it again…If it means I can spend time with Jayden whenever I want…I’ll do it again.

2016 Ace
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I have i said this enough? I hate his father. Smh, how could a father like that, seriously? Ugh! Anyway, rant over. This was mushy chapter I liked it alot. Especially the emotions coming out to play. Who would have thought.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Can you PLEASE arrange for his evil father to be killed in an auto accident,i hate him with every fibre of my being,he is an evil man and i want him out of the picture.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 01/16/2017 09:15 PM, bubby1234 said:

Can you PLEASE arrange for his evil father to be killed in an auto accident,i hate him with every fibre of my being,he is an evil man and i want him out of the picture.

haha, don't worry, just like in velocity, what goes around comes around.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/16/2017 04:34 PM, Remijay said:

I have i said this enough? I hate his father. Smh, how could a father like that, seriously? Ugh! Anyway, rant over. This was mushy chapter I liked it alot. Especially the emotions coming out to play. Who would have thought.

I'm glad! I love the budding romance between Jayden and Aidan

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Damn I knew once he found out then "that man" would use Jayden as a weapon and I'm afraid to say it can only get worse. I really don't understand the mans motivation. Pushy parenting is one thing but this is downright diabolical. I expect somewhere we are going to learn whats behind it all. 

Link to comment
On 11/29/2019 at 9:05 PM, akuhata said:

Damn I knew once he found out then "that man" would use Jayden as a weapon and I'm afraid to say it can only get worse. I really don't understand the mans motivation. Pushy parenting is one thing but this is downright diabolical. I expect somewhere we are going to learn whats behind it all. 

Hopefully that comes with either a baseball bat to dear old dad or cuffs and an orange jumpsuit for the rest of his life.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..