Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 6,244 Words
  • 4,516 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Hidden Ones: The Spotlight - 37. Homecoming

---Ryder---

It’s been a month since I’ve been home. A month of different cities, different crowds, different everything! And yet, no matter where I went, no matter how hard I searched I never found a smile as perfect as his. One that spoke a thousand words without actually saying a single thing. I’d stay up every night in a plane for the rest of my life if it means he’ll be on the other side. I’d do anything for him, and I pray he’d do the same.

As the game wound down and we stood outside our cars I couldn’t help but sigh, knowing that our short time together was already moving way too fast. “Alright,” I began, looking over at Teddy, Blake and Liz. “so I know the original plan was for Teddy to drive us all, but I think you guys deserve a little bit better.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Teddy teased, giving me a light shove.

“It means a limo will be picking me and you up at around six-fifteen, and the two of you up at six-thirty.” I smirked, thinking of all the surprises I was trying to cram into my weekend with Teddy.

“Ryder,” Blake shook his head. “I, we agreed to just drive because of the cost. I mean homecoming is here in the gym, it’s not like,”

“I’ve got it covered.” I interrupted, not wanting to hear another word. “Tonight and tomorrow is all on me.”

“Tomorrow?” Teddy repeated, looking up at me.

“Mhm.” I hummed as the smile grew on my face. “You know, for Messiah’s concert at PNC.”

“For what?” Liz let out, before anyone could say anything.

I tried to stop it but my smile busted through as shock spread through their faces. “Back when I said I was coming home for this weekend Teddy’s uncle called them up and tried to get a gig planned so we could keep capitalizing. They shot us down at first,” I shrugged. “but sometime last week we got a call that the venue was open if we could make it.”

“Wait.” Teddy shook his head, trying his hardest to add it all together. “But I haven’t heard anything about that.”

“We announced it last night at midnight,” I let out. “Its with a bunch of local bands, and only like fifteen bucks a ticket. It’s a total win-win. We get to give back and keep getting our name out there.”

I watched as Liz frantically searched through her phone, trying her hardest to find news of it online. “It’s trending all over.” She shook her head. “It’s, you sold it out by noon. That’s seven thousand tickets in twelve hours!”

A strong blush overtook my face as I heard her words. “If you make tickets cheap enough you can sell out anywhere.” I shrugged, trying to justify the numbers myself. “Besides the lawn isn’t even open and it won’t have any of the fanfare Teddy saw in Atlanta. Just us up on a blank stage with a banner.”

“This is fake.” Teddy shook his head. “I, Blake would’ve heard about it!” He turned to look at Blake but Blake quickly looked the other way as a smirk overtook his face. “You knew!” Teddy shouted reaching out and giving him a push.

“Of course I knew!” Blake cracked in laughter. “Why do you think I talked you out of going to parties tonight?”

“Ryder!” Teddy whined, looking back at me.

“I needed a man on the inside.” I shrugged. “And he totally would’ve heard of rock tickets going on sale!” Teddy rolled his eyes but I could see excitement hidden in them. “Can you do me a favor and give my grandma a ride?”

“I guess.” He sighed, trying his hardest to play the mad card. “I mean I like her more than you anyway.”

“Oh yeah?” I giggled, grabbing onto his sides and moving in for a kiss.

“Yeah.” he smirked as our lips met.

“Alright!” Liz yelped opening the door to Blake’s car. “That’s enough for me! We’ll see you tonight.”

“Yeah.” I let out, breaking away then going right back for more.

“Ryder!” Teddy laughed, pushing me away. “You’re famous now! We can’t just make out in a parking lot!”

“You were never supposed to in the first place!” Blake piped in, shutting his door behind him.

“Fine. Fine.” I dismissed, looking at my own car across the lot. “How about I run home, get my suit on and then we can make out at your place until the limo gets there?”

“You’re so immature.” Teddy rolled his eyes. “But I guess if you want that’d be cool.”

I shook my head and started to back away. “I read you like a book Haner!”

“Yeah you wish Sullivan!” He shouted back through laughter.

My car and feet couldn’t seem to move fast enough, but as I finally ripped open my front door I slowed down, remembering the only person in the whole state who I missed as much as Teddy. Sure, I had seen her for a little this morning before I fell asleep, but it was five A.M.! That barely counts!

“Grandma!” I called out turning the corner into the kitchen.

“Grandma?” She repeated turning around and looking at me. “Watch your tongue! I’m not that old!”

“What?” I shook my head as she walked over and gently held her fingers over my gauges.

“Cooper.” She let out in a disappointed breath. “Your father is going to kill you when he sees these.”

“What?” I repeated, trying my hardest to solve whatever game she was playing.

“Did you even ask him?” She reprimanded voice growing strict.

“Grandma, what the hell are you talking about?” I shook my head as worry engulfed my mind.

“Fine, play your little games.” She shrugged walking over to the now whistling tea kettle. “But your father is going to spank you red when he gets home.” I began to bite my lip as my weight fell into a nearby chair. “Don’t try that puppy dog trick with me! You know that doesn’t work!”

“Yeah, sorry mom.” I forced out, desperately waiting for the episode to pass.

“Oh Coop.” She shook her head, taking a seat across from me. “What are we going to do with you?”

“I don’t know.” I exhaled, trying my hardest not to cry.

A few minutes of silence passed before finally she stood back up and turned on the tea kettle once more. “When did you get home?” She smiled, returning to her seat.

“What?” I let out looking up into her eyes. “I, do you know who I am?”

“Of course I know who you are Ryder.” She cackled with a calm shake of her head. “You know? You really shouldn’t sneak into the room and sit down without saying anything. You’re going to scare me!”

“Grandma, I’ve been home for like ten minutes now.” I tried to explain as a tear or two began to drip from my eyes.

Confusion spread on her face as she saw my tears. “Well alright, there’s no reason to get upset.” She comforted, walking over and wrapping her arms around me. “I guess I just didn’t notice you is all. I’m sorry dear.”

“But, you, I-it’s okay.” I dejectedly exhaled. “I guess I should’ve said something.”

“Mhm.” She hummed. “So stop trying to make an old lady feel bad with those tears.” She giggled, as her hug grew tighter.

“I guess I just missed you is all.” Tears began to fall faster as the moment replayed over and over in my head. She’s been getting forgetful for a while now, but I’ve been lying to myself, saying it’ll be okay. Convincing myself that it’s just something that happens with older people. But this, what just happened, this isn’t normal. This isn’t okay.

“Ryder,” She let out surprised by how broken up I was getting. “I had no idea you missed me so much.” She teased, trying her hardest to cheer me up.

“I love you with everything I have.” I forced out, as worst case scenarios began to play in my mind. “I really really need you to know that.”

“I do.” She nodded finally letting me go and pulling up a seat next to me. “You’ve made me the happiest I’ve been in a long time, and tomorrow night, getting to finally see you perform on a real stage. That, it’s going to be one of the greatest moments of my life.” I nodded and quickly began to wipe the tears from my eyes. “But that’s enough time with me for now. You should start getting ready for homecoming. Tonight we’ll catch up just like we planned this morning.”

“Yeah,” I nodded forcing tears away once more. “Just like we planned.”

I tried my hardest to put the moment behind me, but I found it hard to smile as I slowly put on the brand new suit I had bought for tonight. I couldn’t stop thinking about it. She thought I was my dad. She kept calling me Cooper, and no matter how much she stared at me she couldn’t snap out of it.

I quickly threw my phone to my ear as it began to ring. Desperate for a distraction. “Hey,” Teddy laughed. “What’s taking you so long? You get lost or something?”

“No.” I let out, trying my hardest to throw on a normal voice. “Just distracted is all. I’ll be there in like twenty.”

He let out a short sigh, pretending to be disappointed. “One day my prince will come.”

“That day is today.” I teased, remembering how much this all meant to him. “Now stop distracting me more than I already am!”

“Alright. Alright.” He giggled. “I love you.”

“Love you too.” I quickly answered before hanging up the phone.

I threw on the last few pieces of my suit and stared at myself in the mirror. I need to put this afternoon in the back of my head for right now. I’ve been away from him for a month, and sure, he came to visit, but it’s not the same as being home. I can’t make tonight about me. I can’t worry him with my problems any more than I have. Grandma will be fine. Today, it was just a onetime thing. A minor setback. She wound up remembering me, and that I’ve been away! She remembered the concert tomorrow and what a big deal it’s going to be! Hell! She even remembered a conversation from five in the morning! Everything will be okay.

As I got to Teddy’s house the attempts to forget turned into full blown denial, but for whatever reason that was okay with me. I’m doing what I need to to survive. To make sure I keep everyone I love happy. To make sure I keep myself happy.

“WOW!” Mrs. Haner shouted as she walked in from the garage, seeing me for the first time since I left. “Wow, wow, wow.” She shook her head, walking over and looking me up and down.

“Doesn’t he clean up nice?” Teddy giggled as a blush grew on both our faces.

“I, um, yeah.” She shook her head. “Wow.” She exhaled one last time. “How are you home? I thought your flight was cancelled, I thought,”

“He was trying to surprise me.” Teddy explained with a roll of his eyes. “The storm cleared and he was able to leave after the first delay.”

“Well what a surprise that must’ve been.” She shook her head, trying her hardest to pin what about me was different. “Have you been working out?”

I quickly nodded my head, trying my absolute hardest to fight the blush. “Touring takes a lot out of you so we’ve been training on our off days and before concerts. I mean, it’s really nothing big.”

“Well it’s showing.” She laughed, looking over to her son and nodding. “I’m going to go upstairs and put some snacks together if you guys want anything to eat before Homecoming.”

“Limo comes in like ten minutes mom.” Teddy shrugged as confusion entered her face once more.

“Thank you anyway though Mrs. Haner.” I added in, reminding Teddy of his manners.

“Limo?” She repeated, once again with more questions than answers.

“Another Ryder surprise.” Teddy explained as his smile grew wider. “Along with the concert we’re all going to tomorrow.”

She let out a sigh and shook her head. “It’s a concert for all of you. For me it’s babysitting your father then hearing him ramble about it for days.” She walked up to me and gave me a tight hug. “I love you, but cool it with the surprises. This house can only take so much chaos at once.” She joked with a smile. “Be safe tonight boys.”

Her smile jumped to my face as she walked up the stairs. I don’t think she’s ever told me she loved me. I don’t think either of his parents have. Sure, they’ve shown it with their actions, but being told it. Hearing them say it. It-it’s something completely different.

Once more I found myself smiling as her and Harry forced us into taking pictures outside of the long black limo. Teddy protested them, but we all knew it was for show. After all, I don’t think there’s a lens he hates!

I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t weird when we showed up. Sure, I’m getting used to the constant stares and pictures, but seeing it here at Hudson, at a place where I know I was hated. It just feels, feels, wrong. The fake waves and smiles, they’re all, all bullshit. But as much as I want to let it out, as much as I want to put them on blast I have to play nice just like I did at the football game. It’s a small sacrifice I have to make for him. To the person who saved my life.

Every now and again a teacher would walk up to us and try to start a conversation but I kept them as short as possible. None of them inspired me. None of them reached out and tried to help me fit in. They let me fall into the cracks. They cast me aside like the outsider all my classmates portrayed me as. They’re just as guilty, and I hope they knew it too. But just like with everyone else, I won’t make a scene; I won’t let it get me down. I won’t let it ruin our night.

Besides the truth is I have much bigger problems to worry about anyway. As my grandma entered my mind I felt the forced smile on my face become harder to hold. “Okay,” Teddy exhaled, pulling me aside from the big dance floor. “What’s the matter?”

“I just hate this song.” I teased, trying my hardest to make the fake smile look real.

“Ryder,” He moaned, grabbing onto my hand and lightly squeezing it.

“I was just, just thinking about how I have to leave again Monday.” I lied, trying my hardest to come up with the best excuse possible. “It’s not fair that I have to keep leaving you.”

“I know.” Teddy nodded, but I could tell he was seeing right through the disguise. “But it’s not just that is it?”

“No.” I moaned as he began to peel away my walls the way he always does.

“I know what it is.” He nodded as my heart began to freeze. “You hate having to play nice with everyone here. You hate seeing all the kids who bullied you trying to kiss your ass. You want to give them a piece of your mind, just like you did with that reporter.”

I let a seemingly bashful smile cross my face and nodded. “Yeah.” I let out, allowing my eyes to drift down. I don’t know when it happened, but at some point I learned to play people the way he does. Learned to wear masks the way he can.

“At any point tonight, if it becomes too much, if you want to leave well I’m fine with that.” He nodded, forcing my head back up. “Having you here with me even for just an hour is more than I could ever ask for. You playing nice with others is just the icing on the cake.”

“I’ll be cool.” I nodded as a slow song began to play over the speakers. “I think I just need a dance to take my mind away from it.”

Once more I found myself easing right back into that soft spot of denial. Everything will be okay. I’ll be okay. Grandma will be okay. Teddy will be okay. We’ll all be okay. As the night wore on and dancing with Teddy turned into dancing with Blake and Liz I no longer needed to assure myself of anything. They had me distracted, and that’s all I really need right now.

Those three had a special way of taking care of me. A special way of making sure I was okay. Whenever someone would try and talk to me like they knew me one of them would yank me away. They made me feel as comfortable as they possibly could. They wanted me here with them, and that was never as clear as it’s been tonight. Every now and again someone would sneak through and tell me and Teddy that they voted for us as homecoming kings, but for the most part their small barricade worked. It kept me away from all the fake people here, kept me away from all the bullshit.

“Alright.” The principal began as the music began to lower and he took the stage. “We’ve got a few more songs left tonight but before we can continue I think it’s time to announce our homecoming King and Queen. Although this year it might be a bit unorthodox.” He let out, spoiling something we all already knew was coming. “As tradition I ask the school president to come up here and announce it, So Teddy, get yourself up here!” He smiled, trying to find him in the crowd.

As he left my side I made sure to make a funny face. One that said dear God just kill me now! “Hey everybody!” Teddy let out, finally reaching the stage. “Everyone out there having fun?” He asked, as everyone yelled to him. For the first time in weeks I saw a mask go back up on his face, as he pretended to be the person they all knew “Good because today’s going to be a homecoming talked about for years. Not only did we win, but we had one of the biggest bands in the world play our halftime! I’m pretty sure I even saw their singer here at the dance!” He teased causing me to roll my eyes. “But let’s get on with it shall we?” He asked taking the small index card from the principal. “This year’s homecoming royalty as voted by the students is,” He let out, but froze as he saw the names. Slowly his mask began to crack. “No.” He shook his head tearing it up. “Recount and take me and Ryder’s names out of it.”

“Teddy,” The principal reprimanded in shock as he went to take the microphone away.

“What?” He asked, side stepping the principal’s attempt. “You really want it to go down like this? You want to elect me and Ryder and act like people here liked him? You want to act like people aren’t just being nice to him because he’s famous now?” Teddy asked pointing out the hypocrisy I had been swallowing all day. “And what about you and your staff?” Teddy continued, taking it even farther than I thought he would. “I know you and the other teachers heard about the bullying. I know he kept getting sent to your office because kids would kick the shit out of him. What did you ever do about it?”

“Teddy Haner!” The principal scolded, starting to grow serious. “We were doing everything,”

“Oh don’t feed me that bullshit!” Teddy exclaimed, still talking over the microphone. “You did the bare minimum and you know it. You were complacent with letting him get pushed along, we all were. You did nothing, and now that he’s in position to, I hope he puts us all on blast.” Teddy turned back towards the crowd and stared at everyone. “We all suck. We all almost killed him. So stop acting like you all liked him and give it a rest. You never knew him and you never will.”

Teddy tossed the microphone back to the principal and unapologetically marched off stage. A few teachers tried to stop him, but he didn’t bother to slow down. He’s in so much fucking trouble and yet he doesn’t care. He took a stand, and let them all know they were wrong. He did what I’ve been dreaming of, and I-I couldn’t be any prouder.

“I love you so fucking much.” I let out as he finally reached me.

He let me hug him for a second before breaking free and grabbing my hand. “Let’s get out of here.”

I nodded my head and as we began to walk towards the exit Blake and Liz quickly followed. “Fuck the system!” Blake cackled as we ran out the door and to the limo that had been patiently waiting all evening. “Oh my god!” he shook his head as the door shut behind us. “I had no idea you had it in you Teddy!”

“Me neither.” I supported in disbelief, tightly clutching his hand.

“I just couldn’t take it anymore.” Teddy finally spoke, still hot from his speech. “All the fake smiles and votes, it’s all bullshit!”

“But you know you’re totally getting suspended right?” Liz asked, trying her hardest to bring us all back down to earth.

“So?” Teddy asked with a shake of his head. “What do I care? I have a perfect record and a near 4.0 average. Let them put one little blip on there. It’ll add some character.”

“I knew you dating Ryder would be a good thing!” Blake encouraged with a smile. “You’re, this is literally the proudest I’ve ever been to be your friend!”

“Me too.” I giggled, giving him a friendly bump with my shoulder. “That was everything I dreamed of saying and more. The way you yelled at all the teachers! Oh my God Teddy!”

“They deserved it.” He shrugged, still not sorry for what he had done. “Maybe that’ll actually change things now. Maybe now it won’t take someone killing themselves to stop bullying at Hudson.”

“Great, so now all three of my friends are punks.” Liz rolled her eyes, but I could see in her eyes this whole voice of reason bit was just an act. Under it all she was just as proud as her boyfriend, hell, maybe even more.

“Excuse me,” The driver let out, lowering the divider and reminding us we hadn’t actually been moving. “You kids still have another two hours left on the rental, I can take you guys home if you want but,”

“Can you take us to Rutt’s Hut?” Teddy interrupted, leaning forward. “I can pull up the address on my phone if you need.”

“I’ve got it.” The limo driver nodded, raising the divider up once more.

“Rutt’s Hut?” Blake repeated shooting me a stupefied look. “There’s no way you eat anything from there!”

“So,” He shrugged looking over to me. “It’s Ryder’s favorite place, and I think he’s earned it today.”

“Okay, now I love you the most I’ve ever loved you.” I laughed, leaning over and landing a kiss on his lips. “You’re perfect you know that?”

“That’s funny,” He shook his head. “Because a few months ago you stood right there and tried to tell me the opposite.” He teased, pointing back at the school.

“Mmm.” I thought over recalling the moment. “And then you told me after your party we’d never speak again. So I guess we were both wrong.”

“I guess so.” He nodded, finally letting the full weight of his body fall into me.

The ride to the small run down shack was the most I’ve smiled in a long time. Sure, I love being up on stage. I love every second of my new life in Messiah, and I’ll never forget how lucky I am to live it. But night’s like tonight, surrounded by the people I love, well, no crowd of people could give me the love these three do.

As we all stepped into the hut I tried my hardest to convince Teddy to get something but he kept to his iron will. Another big difference between the two of us, and yet it’s those differences that have pulled us so close together. That have given us so much to talk about.

“Only you could sit here and eat a greasy ass hotdog in a two thousand dollar suit.” Teddy exhaled, looking me up and down.

“This suit wasn’t two thousand dollars.” I lied, but could tell he saw right through it.

“It’s Armani.” He sighed. “Who the hell talked you into buying it?”

A small blush crossed my face as I thought it over. “Brandon.” I confessed. “He told me that if I was going to take you to the dance I had to do it right. I had to really wow you.”

“You did wow me.” He giggled, resting his head against me. “But I don’t need you to buy expensive suits and limos. I loved you back when all you wore were band tees, beanies and jeans, and that will never change.” I shook my head, realizing how lucky I was to have him. It’s no secret that my bank account went from single digits to well, multiple digits overnight. Yet he doesn’t care about any of that. So many people would try and use me. Try and get what they could while they still can, but he’s treated me the same throughout it all. “I don’t mean to overstep but be smart with your money. Make sure you save it so you can take care of yourself. Okay?”

“I will.” I nodded with a smile.

“But you thank Brandon for me, you got that?” He commanded, showing he really did appreciate all the effort I had gone through tonight.

“I will.” I repeated, thinking about the man who’d quickly become like family to me. “He was screaming at everyone and anyone at the airport last night.”

Teddy looked into my eyes and shot me a puzzled look. “Why?”

“He just really wanted to make sure I got home.” I shrugged, recalling the moment. “He makes jokes, but he really likes you.”

“Are you sure about that?” Teddy skeptically raised his eyebrows.

“Positive.” I confirmed in confidence. “To be completely honest he was the one who talked me into getting you a suite in Atlanta.” I giggled.

“Ahh.” Teddy nodded. “So are any of these surprises Ryder originals?”

“The cancelled text was.” I shrugged as a smile spread across his face. “And the limo, oh, and playing at halftime!”

“Definitely keep checking with Brandon then, because you suck at this.” Teddy teased in a laugh.

“At least I didn’t yell at the principal!” I giggled, still thinking over the moment. “That was so fucking cool.”

“I think everyone else at school begs to differ.” Teddy exhaled. “But I wouldn’t take back a single word. You’ve gone through hell for me. Sat through almost every lacrosse game, come to parties, sat in a room with Mike, biting the bullet every time you had to to show you loved me. It’s about time I did the same for you.”

Once more I couldn’t help but smile at his words. The distance is hard and waking up alone is damn near impossible. But I know he’ll never stop loving me, and I’d have to die before I ever stopped loving him. No matter what happens. No matter where life takes us we’ll end up with one another at the end. I know we will.

Just like all the other times the goodbye was hard, but at least this time I knew I’d see him before I went on at PNC. I mean, I’m supposed to be on a flight to Minnesota tomorrow morning, so I can’t complain. Not when I get to spend borrowed time with him. No matter how small it is.

That night I nearly fell asleep talking to my grandma. I just couldn’t tell her enough. All the people, all the cities, all the venues, I had to share it all. I had to make sure she understood how big I was making it. That every second she sacrificed for me was worth it. However that night only seemed to make my denial grow stronger. Sure I had to repeat myself once or twice, and her hearing wasn’t perfect, but she knew who I was, and responded to everything nearly perfectly. Her mind is as sharp as ever, I swear it is.

Words couldn’t describe the excitement pumping through my heart as we arrived to PNC. I wish I could’ve spent the day with Teddy and his family. I wish I could’ve drove with them, but I needed to be here early for sound checks. To make sure the first show my grandma gets to see is picture perfect in every way possible.

Right in front of the stage was wide open so a pit could take place, but shortly behind them stood multiple boxes we had each reserved for family and loved ones. As the band’s family began to show up I realized this concert was much more than me showing off to my family. It was all of us proving who we’d become. Showing our families the giant steps we had taken, and just how much they should be proud of us.

I have no idea when I became so soft, but as I saw Teddy’s family and my grandma walk back stage I found myself fighting off tears once more. Teddy and his dad were wearing the tour t-shirts I had given them while my grandma had worn one of the many band t-shirts I had sent her. I mean, I knew she had them but I never expected her to actually wear one of them!

“Grandma.” I laughed, walking up and hugging her. “I, I can’t believe you’re wearing that.”

“Why not? I’m your biggest fan after all!” She cackled, breaking away from me and turning towards Teddy. “Sorry dear, but you’ll have to fight me to the death for that title!”

“I don’t feel like dying today so you can have it.” Teddy teased, as he walked over and hugged me. “Line outside is crazy. They’re already having to bus people over from the other lots.”

I shrugged as a blush ran over my face. “It’s just because tickets were cheap.” I let out, trying my hardest to justify it. “It would be the same for any other band.”

“Ryder.” A stage hand ran over. “Five until we need you in the dressing room, then,”

“A meet and greet.” I sighed as the usual pre-concert chaos began. “I know, I know.” The stage hand nodded and quickly ran over to find all the other members of the band. Desperate to round everyone up.

“So this is it for now.” Harry nodded, knowing it’d be easier if he initiated the separation. “We’ll see you after the show?”

“Yeah.” I quickly nodded. “Just walk over to the side of the stage and show the security guard your badges. They’ll let you right in.” As they began to walk away I grabbed the big heavy duty ear protection I had brought my grandma off the nearby counter and ran it to her. “Hold on, I can’t have you going deaf on me. “ I teased, forcing them around her neck.

“I don’t need them.” She argued, but left them around her anyway.

“Make sure she wears them!” I mouthed to Teddy as I began back peddling towards my dressing room.

The wait before we went on always felt like nothing. The normal butterflies and anxiety jumped my bones as we stood idly by, hearing the crowd chanting our name. Except they don’t scare me the way they used to. Nots too long ago they used to paralyze me, make me feel like I wasn’t good enough, but now, now they fuel me to give the show of my damn life.

“Alright boys.” I let out grabbing them around me as the lights went down and our normal static began to blare over the loud speaker. “This is it! This is where we played warped tour, and now we’re back! But this time it’s on our terms! It’s our show! In front of our families! It our moment for the fucking taking, and god damn it we’re going to play the best fucking show of our lives!”

They all began to shout as finally Brandon pulled the hood over my head and Tommy handed me my bat. “Let’s fucking go!” Zack yelled pushing me out towards the stage opening.

As I heard the news reports and hit songs play over the speakers I slowly began to step out. The crowd screaming turned to white noise in my ears as I focused on the radio in the center of the stage. I wound back my arms and smashed the radio the way I always do, sending the stage into utter and completely darkness.

I felt the figures of my bandmates rush past me as I grabbed the hidden microphone off the ground. “New Jersey.” I grumbled, trying my hardest to sound weak. “I shouldn’t even need to ask.” Slowly but surely the crowd parted down the middle, having heard of our now usual opening. “Three.” I began, letting the crowd handle the rest of the countdown. The second they hit one all the light flashed on and smoke flew from the front of the stage.

I ripped off the sweat shirt I had on and jumped feet first into the crowd, letting them carry me anyway they had pleased. They pulled and clawed at me, but I knew I’d be okay, I knew they wouldn’t actually hurt me. Finally I felt the thick hands of a security guard grab onto me and pull me back towards the small stage.

As I started singing I couldn’t believe my eyes. The crowd ripped at one another in the most chaotic way I had ever seen. It was like all the other concerts poured into one. There was no doubt that they knew this was our hometown, and they were doing everything they could to make us proud.

I let one song flow into another, trying my hardest to capitalize on all the energy in the open amphitheater. Every now and then I would look to the small box my family was sitting in and smile, blown away by everything that was going on.

“Okay.” I breathlessly exhaled, as a stagehand ran over and handed me an acoustic guitar. “Now I don’t usually do this, but this isn’t your average show.” I shook my head as darkness surrounded me and my normal lone spotlight shined over me. “This is my hometown.” I let out as the crowd roared back at me. “But more importantly my grandma is in the crowd tonight.” The yelling only seemed to grow louder as they heard my words. “Now who here owns our first album, A Broken Home?”

The screams were deafening as hands flew into the air. “Well if you turn it around you notice two grave stones.” I explained, trying my hardest to keep it together. “Those are my parents’. They never got to see me past age five, but that doesn’t mean I was alone.” I shook my head, pointing towards my grandma. “That woman right there, she made sure of it. Grandma,” I let out as a tear rolled down my cheek. “Every moment you spent worrying, every extra hour you worked to pay off a guitar or bass. It’s what made this possible.” I exhaled, spreading my arms as the house lights kicked on illuminating the crowd. “A lot of you are telling me my music has already saved some of your lives, and although Teddy’s the one who saved mine, well there would be no life to save if it wasn’t for her. I love you so much more than you can ever know. This one’s a cover of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, and it’s for you Grandma.

As I sang that familiar song I never broke eye contact with her. I never once looked at anyone else, and as tears fell from her eyes I felt them begin to fall from mine as well, yet I fought through that song because I know that’s what she would’ve done.

I’ve never heard a crowd yell as loud as it did when I finished that song. If you don’t remember much more in your life, well I pray to God you remember this moment. Through all the hard times and tears you’re the reason I stuck with music for so long, and I’ll never forget that.

2017, Ace
  • Like 23
  • Love 43
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Grandma is really scaring me. Hope she doesn't deteriorate too much too quickly. Ryders being biting the bullets for Teddy, he needs to bite the bullet for his Grandma and get her some help in some way or another.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

On the one hand I’ll be sad if Ryder’s grandmother dies, but on the other hand when she dies, she’ll have lived long enough to have seen Ryder become successful. She’ll have done her job of taking care of him after his parents died. She can die knowing he has family who loves him and will take care of him.  ;-)

 

But I hope she survives to be a part of Ryder & Teddy’s wedding at least!  ;-)

 

Many sick, elderly, or otherwise weak people will themselves to live until after an important event occurs, often holidays like christmas (or weddings).  ;-)

Link to comment

I love that it was über-popular Teddy who told off the school administration and faculty! I’m sure it had a much greater impact that the golden boy called them all on their hypocrisy – without even trying to excuse himself. Had Ryder said the same things in the same way, it could and probably would have been dismissed by everyone as yet another overreaction to supposedly innocent comments.

 

Teddy has really grown emotionally in the few months that this story has covered. Ryder has grown in confidence in that same period. It’s difficult to say who has changed the most.  ;-)

Link to comment

Hug! Hugs all around! YOU GET A HUG! AND YOU GET A HUG!:glomp:

:glomp::glomp:.  :glomp:

:glomp::glomp:.   :glomp:

Yay Teddy for kicking ass, I'm now worried for grandma, and anticipating the fall out of Teddy's action

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

It's amazing how Teddy really stepped up at the dance! Ryder isn't the only one getting stronger. And what a perfect moment between Ryder and his grandma at the concert! Thank you.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

I am so proud of Teddy! I know Ace has it already written, but I am not sure there will be a big fall out of his behavior, with Ryder famous now, that would attract a lot of undesired attention.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

I just fall more and more in love with these characters, Ryder, Teddy, grandma, Teddy's parents,  Blake and Liz. The growth both Teddy and Ryder have shown and the support they all give each other is so great to see. I'm also so happy to see that success isn't causing Ryder to forget who he is but helping him to better define himself and help others. Depression is such a serious issue and I love that he has an outlet to express himself and people to support him and show others you can make it through and to hold on. Such a great progression to his and Teddy's characters.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Damn. My sinuses…

 

Well played, Mr.… Hole? I'm binge-reading this, so I didn't have time between chapters to realize that there was no way Ryder would have just forgiven and forgotten all he went through in that school with barely a handwave.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I couldn’t be more proud of Teddy for the way that he reacted to the nomination of him & Ryder as homecoming kings. I think 🤔 everyone is right saying that the actions and words by Teddy at the dance will have some strong reactions by the principle of the school. I hope that Ryder is going to do everything he can to get his grandmother 👵 in to a specialist so that she doesn’t completely spiral into further Alzheimer’s, he should say something to Teddy’s mom about his grandma so she can possibly get her to go to the doctor. I hope that Ryder’s grandma makes it to his & Teddy’s wedding like she said. Great chapter and story. :thankyou: :2thumbs: :glomp:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..