Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 2,545 Words
  • 2,797 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 14. Chapter 14

Under Ground Aliases
The Kid- Jamie Free
Gears- Jacob Palmer
Gizmo- Matty Sanders
*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*

You can go months maybe even years stuck in the same rut. Sometimes all it takes is a loving hand to pull you out. This week Elijah was that hand. When I went to bed Sunday night I was just a closeted kid obsessed with racing. 5 days later I became the youngest street racer in New Jersey history to compete in and win a 20+ league race, but more impressively I even found myself my first boyfriend. And now I’m ready to tell my 2 best friends. What can I say? I prefer to live fast.

Elijah and I hung out outside his locker for the rest of the morning waiting for the first bell to ring. It really was so amazing getting to spend time with him. Maybe that’s why it was so easy to rush into dating. We already had a foundation laid out from all those years ago. We did our best to not be too obvious about being crazy over one another, but I’m not sure how great we were at hiding it. By time the bell rang I was falling asleep on his shoulder.

My streak of paying attention in class didn’t last long, as I went from sleeping on Eli’s shoulder to sleeping on my desks. What? It’d been a long night and I woke up early. I wonder how the hell dad pulls it off. When lunch eventually rolled around things went normally. I told Jacob about the minivan and he agreed to come fix it even though he was still pissed about the way I raced the day before. Matty told us he’d stop by later in the evening, he wanted to go home and nap first. Personally I don’t blame him. I should probably look into napping after school rather than during it. I finished my food and fell right back asleep on the lunch table. Apparently Eli stopped over at one point but Jacob and Matty told him to let me sleep. As you’ve probably guessed by now I spent the rest of the day in and out of sleep as well. School really wasn’t that hard anyway. If I got lost I would just read the textbook or get Jacob to tutor me.

Jacob met me and my sisters at the bike rack and we all peddled home together. They’ve always treated Jacob just like he was part of the family. I even heard him and my sister arguing at one point. Peddling home from school on a Friday always felt amazing, and having a friend to join only made it sweeter.

When we got back to my house Jacob immediately got to work on the Minivan. He assured me it wasn’t anything too major and would just take an hour or two. I could tell he was still holding onto that grudge from lunch.

I opened the passenger door of my mustang, took a seat and watched as he worked. “You know I’m not gonna change my racing style.” I knew it would start a fight but evidently he needed to get it off his chest.

“I know. You’re too much of a stubborn ass.” He spit not even looking up from his work. “It doesn’t matter what it costs, so long as The Kid wins his race right?”

“That’s the business Jacob.” I was uncomfortably playing with the visor of my helmet to keep my hands busy.

“But it doesn’t have to be that way.”

“Look, when I’m moving at such high speeds I have to make judgments in a flash. I only have milliseconds to think before I do something, and I’m not sorry that I’ll always put my wellbeing first.”

 

He shook his head upset at my answer “So just fuck everyone else that’s driving near you right?”

“Exactly, I have to win. There are bills to pay and mouths to feed.”

“I understand that, I really do. But God damn it Jamie, what happens when one of your maneuvers backfire and its YOU who gets hurt.” I could see the concern growing on his face.

“That’s not gonna happen”

“You don’t know that. Do you have any idea how nervous me and Matty were last night when we couldn’t see what was happening and heard a crash? You’re families lost so much already, how can you be so willing to put your life on the line?” Normally I would get mad at a comment like that but I know what he’s been through. If there’s anyone in my little group of friends that can sympathize with me, it’s him. Maybe that’s why we’re so close.

“I’m sorry Jacob. I didn’t mean to scare you like that but you know damn well why I do what I do.” Jacob nodded his head, he didn’t approve but he at least accepted it.

“Fine, do what you please, but were setting aside some of the next few winnings to pay for a roll cage. I’m not losing another friend.” I could see the pain start to grow in his face. I immediately stood up and hugged him. He resisted at first but finally accepted it.

I let him go “I know. I’m not going anywhere any time soon.” I said with a smile.

Back when we were young and I was still best friends with Elijah, Jacob had a best friend of his own. His name was Damon and they did absolutely everything together. One day Damon’s father drank a little too much and well…some things are better left unsaid. I always worried Jacob somehow blamed himself for what happened to Damon. When my mother passed Jacob immediately flocked to me and we helped one another heal. On that day we vowed to keep one another safe and I’d say we’ve done a pretty good job of it, even if he gets pissy with me every now and then. Suddenly I wasn’t so worried about coming out to him, I know he’ll accept me. Matty on the other hand, well that’s a real tossup.

I sat back down and let Jacob get back to work. All the tension had finally subsided. I even went into the garage and grabbed an old radio. We sang along to some of our favorite bands AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, Avenged Sevenfold, you name a rock band and I guarantee Jacob and I could sing a song by them. Finally Jacob finished and we ran into the house to eat whatever slop my older sister had cooked for dinner. She really couldn’t cook, but without her we wouldn’t be eating so I shouldn’t complain. Jacob didn’t seem to mind either. I think he was just happy to be among the chaos.

We helped wash the dishes then headed down to my basement. It wasn’t anything special, just a dark room with a few chairs, a couch and a TV in it. Since my sisters were much too scared to go down there it was my safe haven when they were running amuck. We hung out and played video games until Matty finally arrived, then the real fun began. It was always complete and utter chaos when the 3 of us were left unsupervised. One time Matty even had to go get stitches as a result of the roughhousing. There was so much yelling that at one point my older sister came down and screamed at us, not that it made a difference.

Finally I heard the door open and light footsteps coming down the stairs. I immediately recognized them as Eli’s. He stopped at the bottom of the stair case. “Hey guys.” His hair was still wet with sweat from tryouts. I could tell he was completely worn out.

“Ughhh” Matty groaned “Why is he here?”

I gave Matty a dead arm for being rude “Chill, he’s my friend and I invited him to come hangout.”

Jacob looked over and waved but didn’t say anything. I think he could tell something was up.

I stood up, pulled together two chairs and invited him to come sit next to me. He gratefully accepted and let the weight of his body sink into one. “How were tryouts?”

“Don’t even bring it up” Eli groaned, I could tell his body ached.

I could see Jacob trying to read my body language. “How hard could hockey be?” he said trying to initiate conversation.

“Imagine like the hardest thing you can think of doing, and then make it double.” Eli sighed. He wasn’t wrong, hockey was no joke. It was a full body sport that demanded respect from you.

“I can sympathize” Jacob said looking at me then to Matty then back at me again. Matty and I began to laugh knowing he was referring to the whole car swap he had performed earlier in the week. Eli looked a little confused but smiled along with the rest of us.

Matty began to stare at Eli like he was trying to figure something out. Eli stared back to try and get him to stop.

Jacob looked at me and rolled his eyes. “What is this battle of the stupid?”

“No” Matty remarked “I just realized something. You don’t look gay.”

Jacob smacked him upside the head and Eli began to laugh “Thank you?” he said not sure if he should take it as a compliment or not.

Matty rubbed where Jacob had hit him “What? Is that offensive?” Jacob shrugged not knowing the answer to the question. It was then I realized Matty really wasn’t homophobic, just badly misinformed.

“No, not really” Eli said still laughing “I’ve been told much worse.” I felt Eli start to rub his foot against mine. My heart started to pound a little faster and I knew Eli was waiting for me to come out. I know if I chickened out that he wouldn’t be mad or anything but I really wanted to do this. I knew once this was over and done with life could start moving a little easier, maybe Eli could even come have lunch with us every now and then.

I felt my heart go into my throat “So guys” I have never been so nervous in my life. This was even worse than getting arrested! Eli nudged his hand against mine to remind me that he was there with me. “Eli isn’t just here to hangout.” I saw Jacob look up like he knew what was coming.

Matty sat there with a clueless expression “Then why else is he here?” he said not following along. Jacob elbowed him to shut him up

“Me and Elijah”…”Elijah and I” I just couldn’t find the right words “Why don’t you say it Eli.” I grunted frustrated at my inability to get the words out. Eli looked towards me and shook his head no. I could read in his eyes that he wanted me to say it. “Me and Eli are a thing” I mumbled.

“I didn’t catch that” Matty said still looking confused. I think Jacob heard it because he fell back into the couch, with his typical “I knew it” smile growing across his face.

My heart was pounding so hard I couldn’t even hear the words coming out of my own mouth. “Me and Eli are a thing” I finally spit out.

“A thing?” he repeated still not understanding “Like best friends? Yeah, we knew that already.” Jacob nudged him try and get him to catch on. I grunted at how frustrating this all was. Does this even get easier? Matty still wasn’t getting it. I mean he wasn’t dumb; he just lacked common sense sometimes.

“They’re together.” Jacob said trying to clarify

Matty’s eyes grew real wide and he stared at us “Wait so like you like eachother?” I think he was in shock.

Eli began to giggle “Well, I like Jamie” he said finally resting his head on my shoulder. I could tell he had been waiting to do that since the moment he walked in.

Jacob began to nod “and Jamie likes Eli” he said patronizing Matty “So maybe we should stop making jokes about them being gay together.”

They both made eye contact with one another “Nah” they agreed. I was amazed and how unphased Jacob was by all of this.

I placed my arm around Eli, I don’t know how I could ever do this without him. “So Jacob” I said staring at him “How long have you known?”

He began to laugh to himself “Remember earlier this week at lunch when Stephanie and I were fighting?” I nodded my head “Well she was telling me that she thought Eli was falling head over heels for you and that I should tell you to stop trying to be friends with him again. I told her that if Eli was falling for you, and if you didn’t feel the same you that you would handle it like an adult and let him down gently.”

Jacob paused to take a breath “she didn’t agree and that’s when you caught us fighting. Matty over here was too preoccupied with his food to notice what she was saying. But I started observing the two of you, ever little glance, the way you would smile and blush when we brought up Eli. I mean it wasn’t overly obvious, I guess I just knew what to look for.” He shrugged.

I shook my arm to make sure Eli was still awake “See what you did, blabber mouth.”

He yawned and looked up “Hey, I can’t help it. I would like to point out that you kissed me.” I nodded along to what he said acknowledging his point.

“So everyone knew this except for me?” Matty asked still trying to catch up

“Basically” Eli said with a smile.

Jacob looked at me and nodded “You know we’re not gonna go any easier on him.” He said with a smile.

I returned the nod “I don’t except you to.”

Matty started to grin “So does this mean we get to make gay jokes at you too Jamie?” His eyes lit up at the possibilities.

I opened my mouth to say something “YUP!” Eli interrupted “I invite you to.”

I couldn’t help but laugh “Woh, we’re supposed to be a couple here Eli.”

“Is that so 50 shades of gay?” He said mimicking the joke I cracked at him a few days ago, I guess he had held onto that one. I leaned my neck down and let my head rest against his.

“Honestly” Matty started, oh boy here we go “I don’t get being gay, and I don’t know if I ever will. But as long as you’re happy I guess that’s good enough for me.” I started to grin at his acceptance

“So much for too fast to fall in love” Jacob mocked “But yeah I’m with him. Welcome to the group Eli, I hope you know what you’re in for.”

Eli tilted his head so he could look at them both “I do, and I couldn’t be more excited.”

For the first time since her passing I looked up to the sky and thought If only she could see me now, I wonder how proud my mom would be.

Under Ground Aliases
The Kid- Jamie Free
Gears- Jacob Palmer
Gizmo- Matty Sanders
*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*
2016 Ace
  • Like 21
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I feel that this story gets darker but I love the light touches in how the 4 boys express themselves

Link to comment

The frustration of Jamie trying to get it out, in more ways than one, was good.  The way Jacob just related his understanding was nice.  The blinking at the bright sun after being in the dark of Matty was close to priceless.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..