Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 4,796 Words
  • 2,139 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 40. Chapter 40

Under Ground Aliases

The Reaper- Jamie Free

Velocity- Elijah Warren

Gears- Jacob Palmer

Gizmo- Matty Sanders

*The boys use these to guarantee no one outside the underground finds their real identities*

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I woke up that morning feeling like a completely different person. I just felt…lighter. It was as though the cross I was bearing had been lifted. I looked over at the picture of me and Eli on my nightstand and smiled. It’s all thanks to him. I rolled out of bed, attempted to fix the mess I called hair and got changed. I raced off to school eager to see my blonde haired angel once more. The closer I got to school the faster my heart began to beat. I wasn’t just nervous to see Eli, I was excited. You would think after 4 months of dating those feelings would fade, but they haven’t. I still get butterflies and sweaty palms when I speak to him, and miss him more then I probably should when we’re apart. Finally I pulled up to the brick prison we call Belmont high. Whatever sadistic fuck decided to build the same school for all the rich and poor kids of this town was out of their god damn mind. As I chained my bike to the rack I looked around at the assortment of sports cars and beaters in the lot. I rolled my eyes as kids got out of porsches and others barely running minivans. Who knew a poor person could live so close to a rich person. I guess that’s Jersey for you.

The second I stepped through the door I instinctively made my way towards Eli’s locker. It’s funny, Belmont is a huge school, yet I’ll always know my way to him. I slowed my pace as I saw Stephanie sitting next to him chatting. Our eyes locked, and she got her stuff together to scurry off. I held my hand up to motion for her to stop, but she was hell bent on getting out of there. She really was terrified of me, and for the first time all year I didn’t blame her for it.

“Just ignore her” Eli said as I took a seat on the floor next to him

“I can’t” I mumbled “I need to apologize”

“What?” he yelped “you apologize? Wow, you really must be sick”

“Stop” I whined “It’s just something I need to do, to her, to the guys, to everyone I’ve been reckless towards.” Eli tilted head and stared at me “I’m fine I swear”

“You sure about that?” he asked in a suspicious tone

“Cross my heart and hope to die” I replied

The expression on his face didn’t change “Man that fog is really messing with you.”

“No, it’s actually all but gone” I admitted “I just needed a goodnights sleep I guess”

“And love and to apologize to your family and…” Eli droned on

“Okay okay” I surrendered “but most importantly I needed you. It may have only been a day, but it was the worst feeling of my life. I have no idea how people live with that.”

Eli elbowed me in the side “kiss ass” he teased

“Think you can do me one last favor before this all ends?” he tilted his head once more and waited “Be there for me during lunch when I break the news to the guys. I don’t know how they’ll take it.”

“I’ll always be there for you” he supported

“Even when I’m fat and bald?” I teased

“Always” he confirmed

I laid my head on his shoulder and fell asleep waiting for class to begin. I must’ve done this a hundred times over these past few months, and yet he’s never complained. Not once. The bell rang to shatter me from my sleep and Eli threw my bag at me.

“No sleeping in class today” he lectured

“For a varsity athlete you’re really such a nerd.” I retorted sticking my tongue out at him.

He rolled his eyes and scurried off to class. I followed his order best I could and managed to stay awake through most of my classes…okay half, but still that’s half more than usual. Baby steps, I’m still getting used to the idea of being a normal teen. When the lunch bell rang I felt butterflies in my stomach begin to take flight, except this time they weren’t for Eli. This time they were for telling the guys my plan. The whole walk from the classroom to the table my legs felt like jelly. I couldn’t help but move extra slow, in order to put off my news. They’ll be cool with it right? I know we’ve all been making such good money off of it, but it’s for the best. It’s what we all need…it’s what I need.

I took my seat next to Eli, and he latched onto my hand.

“How do you always beat me here?” I said leaning my head closer to him

“Magic” he replied connecting our foreheads

“No, no coupley bullshit today” Matty began “We needa talk shop”

“What?” I asked glancing over at his big body

“Yeah business” he started as if I missed the memo “I was thinking, since you’re moving up a spot we could afford some new things. Things like led lights under the car, a bigger more masculine horn and more importantly an ear piece in the helmet” I waived my hand to get him to stop “Now I know what you’re thinking. It’s all expensive, but with the money we’ll be making it’ll seem like pennies.”

“Matty…” I said trying to stop him

“Just trust me on this It’ll be great” he continued

“No you don’t…” I ushered

“Trust me I do, I get it money’s important but…”

“I’m quitting racing” I blurted out. I watched as Jacob’s jaw dropped in awe, and Matty dropped his food.

“You’re doing what?!” he screamed.

“Hey!” a stern voice yelled “Quiet down, or get a lunch detention”

“Yes ma’am” Eli replied answering for the rest of us

“I’m done racing” I pushed out once more “This is my last week”

“No…no…no, you can’t” Matty said in a shaking voice “You just can’t. We’ve come so far…done so much. You can’t just quit on us”

“I’m not quitting on you. In fact I should’ve never involved any of you. It was selfish and stupid, I’m sorry” my grip around Eli’s hand grew tighter

“This is such bullshit” Matty said loud enough to shower his anger, but quiet enough not to get him any trouble “This is all his doing” he finished pointing at Eli

“Don’t blame him! This was my decision.”

“Bull-fucking-shit” he spit, his eyes staring a hole right through Eli

“It was!” I insisted “I can’t handle it anymore, alright! I can’t do this! The late nights, the danger, the almost killing people! I wasn’t meant for it! I pretend like I’m strong but I’m not! Matty I can’t do it!” he shook his head in disbelief “How can you not see this?” I turned towards Jacob to see how he was taking the news, but his bright green eyes just reflect the light in the room right back to me.

“Because I know you. You’re not like everyone else. This is the life you were made for. You can say you can’t handle it or whatever bull crap Eli’s trying to sell you, but you are.” The anger began to make Matty’s voice shake

“That’s enough” Jacob said trying to break it up

“What? You’re buying this too?” he yelled “You know it the same as me. Jamie was meant for this life, just look in his eyes. All you see is darkness. You’ve got a black soul Free, you weren’t meant for any other type of life. That’s probably what’s got you so fucked up.”

“No, Matty just stop”

“No, Jamie I won’t. You can handle a life of darkness, and sin, but you know what you can’t handle? A romantic life, a life where you have to try and be peaceful. You’re pretending to be something you’re not. You’re meant to kill, you’re meant to drink, steal and smoke. Look in yourself for 5 goddamn seconds, you’re nothing but evil refined into a 16 year old. We all know it. I’m just the only one who’s not afraid to say it. Look at the way you treated that kid the other night…”

“Fuck you Matty” I spit finally having enough

“See there it is” he pleaded “Listen to it, feed it. Fuck Eli, you’ll have a million other guys at your feet now that you’re the king of the underground.”

Jacob elbowed him hard to the side “Shut the fuck up. Do you have any idea how stupid you sound right now? Jamie’s genuinely happy for the first time we’ve been friends with him, and there you go trying to ruin it. You wanna be a sad, lonely sack of shit, go ahead but leave Jamie alone.”

Matty stood and so did Eli “Sit back down, let the men talk” Matty said slamming his hands on the table

“Men?” Eli mocked “You’re acting like a spoiled brat. Leave Jamie be, you just can’t handle that your meal ticket has run out. Everyone spits about what a dead end Jamie is but what can YOU do? What do you even contribute to the team? I see Jamie and Jacob doing all the heavily lifting, you just sit around for a pay day.” I pulled on Eli’s shirt to calm him down but he slapped my hand away “and I don’t want to hear any of this, “I’m the muscle” crap because we all know Jax and the other guards are.”

“Business” Matty responded with some bite

“Oh please” Eli let out with a laugh “You can’t even do basic math. You’re probably hurting this team more than you’re helping it.” I gave Eli one last tug and he finally sat back down

“You know what? Fuck all 3 of you! You can handle this week by yourselves” He pulled out a small black box from his backpack and threw it at me “You’ll get nowhere without me. Fuck you all”

As he threw his middle finger up a lunch moderator ran over “Matthew Sanders! Detention now! ” she yelled. Matty stared us down but went out without a battle.

I looked down at the black box he had thrown me, and realized it was the police radio Eli had given me. I gave it to him a few months ago, to learn the police code. That was always his sort of thing, and only a week into having it he had taught me all the major codes; anything from drug busts and kidnappings to robberies and murders. I shook my head and put it into my bag.

“Am I doing the right thing Jacob?” I said looking over at him

“You are” he nodded “I’ve been waiting for this conversation for months now. You shouldn’t be out in danger. You have people who love you…people who rely on you. I know the money was good but you’ll find a job. I just can’t wait for this week to be over.” I took a sigh of relief and reached out to shake his hand “To the end” he said with a smile

“to the end” I repeated, relieved that at least one of my friends had my back. Yet still, Matty’s words chewed away at me. Maybe he’s right. Maybe I am made for evil. Maybe this is the wrong life for me. Just then Eli placed his hand on my back and laid his head on my shoulder. No…this is the right life. Something wrong could never feel this right.

The lunch bell rang to end the madness, and the rest of the day went by in a blur. I can’t believe Matty freaked out like that. Usually he’s so loving and big hearted, but he was like an animal. Why should he care? It’s my life that’s been in danger, it should be my call. Maybe Eli’s right. Maybe he was just in it for the money after all. As I headed to my locker to pack my bag I passed by Stephanie and waved frantically for her to stop. She tried her best to ignore me, but couldn’t resist when I finally screamed out her name.

“What Free?” she screamed back

I pulled her to the side of the busy hallway. My knees grew week, and I began to feel nauseas “Look I’m sorry” I squeezed out “I’m quitting racing. It’s caused me to do a lot of stupid stuff… a lot of dangerous stuff… and those are things I have to live with for the rest of my life. I know you think I’m the spawn of Satan, but I promise I’m not who I’ve been pretending to be in the underground. I know I won’t be a great person outside of it, but the things I’ll be guiltiest of will be stupid things like underage drinking and speeding.”

She let out a deep breath “I don’t buy it…I don’t buy you”

“What?” I said confused

“You may have everyone else fooled by the Jamie Free show. In fact you have everyone in those whole damn school fooled into thinking your some grieving innocent teen, but I see right through you Jamie. You’re not sorry, you’re selfish. You think you’re cleaning up your act but in reality you’re just transferring it to Eli.”

“What?” I said taken back by her words

“You think all the anger and evil in you is leaving, but it’s really just being absorbed by Eli.” Just as always her words cut through me like razors

I began to choke on my own thoughts “No…no it’s not”

“Yes it is. Haven’t you noticed that he’s been acting different lately? Haven’t you noticed he’s a lot more like you? I warned you a few months ago, but you didn’t want to listen. Now you’ll have to live with it. You think you’re so holy, but you’ve tainted one of the only innocent souls left in this world.”

I began to stumble away “Yeah whatever Steph” was all I could force

She shook her head and turned away “You’ve fucked up Jamie. You’ve fucked up hard”

I rushed to my locker and threw my books over the small radio inside. I need to get to Jason’s to work out; I need to get out all this worry before it begins to build again. I ran out the door and to my bike. The faster I peddled the better I felt. Eli can’t be getting tainted, can he? I mean sure he’s acted different lately, but darker? No, Eli could never…Eli would never. I thought back today to his actions at lunch, the words he chose, the way he said them…they were all like me. I shook my head in denial. No, I’m just seeing things. We’re fine…he’s fine. I traded my bike in for my car, and blasted music to prevent me from overthinking everything. I weaved in and out of traffic before finally reaching the small pretty house. I ran up and banged on the small rickety storm door.

“Alright Alright, calm down Jamie” I heard the familiar female voice call out, both doors opened and she finally appeared in the door way “My oh my, we are really in a rush today aren’t we?”

“I guess I just have steam to blow off” I mumbled

“Why? What’s wrong? Kids at school teasing you? Trouble with Eli?” I could see the motherly instinct take over within her

“No, it’s more complicated than that. It’s stupid really” I said shrugging off her interrogation. She slightly moved to the side and I pushed past her.

“Jason, you better hurry before Jamie burns down the house” she called out

“Where’s the fire kid?” Jason asked appearing from the kitchen. I rolled my eyes and made my way to the workout room “Alrighty then” he said shrugging his shoulders to Nia. As I stepped into the workout room I felt his heavy hand on my shoulder “What’s going on with you?”

“I’m done” I said shaking my head

“You’re what?” he said giving me a friendly shove

“I’m done racing” I muttered

He walked over and sat on the nearby bench “Oh yeah?” he said playing along like it was a game

“I really am Jason. I’ve lost myself in it all. You saw me the other night, I was like an animal. I’ve finally had a wakeup call. I’ve been acting like I have a soul that doesn’t want to be saved, but it does”

He nodded “How do you plan on quitting? You have a race tonight, and people aren’t going to take kindly to you just not showing up”

“I race tonight” I groaned “I’m gonna tell pit that this is my last week…that these next set of races are my last.”

“He’s not going to like that” Jason said with concern on his face

“Well he’s going to have to. I’ve made him more money than god. He can’t force me to do something”

“With his resources he can” Jason warned “You’re gonna have to be careful about how you go about it.”

“I’ll talk to him man to man. He’ll see my side” I insisted

Jason rolled his eyes and headed over to a small dresser in the room. In fact it was the only non-workout piece in the whole room. He let out a deep sigh and pulled out a shoebox from the cabinet. “We’re not working out today”

“Then what are we doing?” I asked confused

Jason walked up to the door and shut it “I’m teaching you how to use this” he reached into the small box and pulled out a small gun hiding inside of it

“What are you doing” I yelped alarmed by the weapon

“Relax, this is one you wanted right?”

“Yeah but…”

“But you’re gonna need it more now than ever” he said finishing my sentence “If things go south, Pit’s gonna hit you hard. You’re gonna need to know how to defend yourself.”

“This is the last thing I wanted” I whined

He laid his hand back on my shoulder “Violence got you into this life. You shouldn’t be surprised that it’ll be what gets you out”

“Can I still work out with you when it’s all over?”

He let out a hearty laugh at my question “I wouldn’t have it any other way”

Jason handed me a pair of gloves and reality began to set in as to what type of gun this was. I put them on and stared at it, knowing I could take a life and no one would know who had pulled the trigger.

For the next hour he showed me everything I needed to know about owning a gun. How to take it apart, how to put it back together, how to clean it, how to load it and how to unload it, by the end of the lesson I swear I could build a gun from scratch. As we wrapped up he put the gun back in the box with a box of bullets.

“No one can know you have this” he said staring me dead in the eyes. I shook my head to show I understood “You saw how out of control shit got when that kid pulled a gun, don’t let that become you.”

“I won’t” I said picking it up

“So I’ll see you and the guys tonight for one of your last races huh?”

“That’s the plan…well minus Matty” I admitted “He didn’t take the news so well.”

Jason shook his head in understanding “Sometimes people don’t know when it’s time to move on. I’m glad you do. If you have to leave him behind…well it’s for the best.”

I nodded and shook his hand before leaving. I scurried out keeping the box tightly packed against me to hide it from Nia. The last thing I wanted to do was alarm her. I gently placed it in the passenger seat and slowly drove home. I mean it wasn’t loaded or anything but still. I’ve learned I shouldn’t be playing with guns recently. When I got home I resumed the same hiding position as when I left Jason’s. I quickly made my way through the house, not daring to stop for anyone. I locked my bedroom door behind me and checked out the small M1911. I played with the weight of it in my hands before finally placing it back into the box. I carefully put the box deep under my bed, and laid above of it. I let out one last deep sigh and texted Eli and Jacob about the race tonight. I fell asleep before both could reply, but woke up to two excited yesses.

I took a deep breath and got changed into my normal black racing attire. I grabbed the box out from under my bed and loaded the ghost. I made sure to put on the safety before tightly tucking it into my waistband. To protect Eli I told myself.

I snuck out the back, and quickly made my way into my car. I closed my eyes for a brief second and turned on the car. One of my last 3 races, I can do this. I backed out of the driveway and slowly made my way to Eli’s, making sure to text him when I was a few minutes away. As I pulled up I saw him sitting out on the curb patiently waiting. I flashed my high beams to stun him, and laughed at his stunned reaction.

He stepped into the passenger seat and laid a heavy punch into my arm “Dick” he murmured while putting on his seatbelt.

I looked over at him and soaked in his every detail. He always looks so cute when he tried to dress for the underground, he doesn’t really have any black clothes so he wears whatever he can borrow from me. I leaned in a laid a deep kiss on his beautiful lips before looking into his lively blue eyes. “God you’re so beautiful” I accidently let out

Eli let out a shy giggle and I began to blush “Focus on being safe tonight Jamie”

“I will, I love you” I said returning the laugh

Tonight I let him control the radio as we made our way to Jacob’s. Eli was like me in that he didn’t like modern music, but our tastes definitely weren’t the same. I gritted my teeth and dealt with it as he sang along to pop punk bands like Blink-182 and Green Day.

When Jacob got in the car he couldn’t help but laugh “Eli’s day with the music?”

“Yup” I sighed

“Oh come on guys. Just keep an open mind” he insisted “It’s good I promise”

“You’ve been saying that for years” I teased as we made our way to the underground

“Do you think Matty will ever get over it?” I asked making eye contact with Jacob through the rearview mirror

“Who knows…but you’re doing the right thing. Don’t let what he said get to you, you deserve this. You deserve to be happy”

“Thanks” I said breathing relief “I needed to hear that

“I’ve said that before!” Eli pestered

“Yeah but you’re you” I teased

“Hey!” he shouted over the blasting music

As we pulled up to the underpass I leaned over and kissed him once more “be safe tonight”

“I will” Eli nodded with a smile

As I pulled up to my normal spot I watched as he put on his red bandana. We climbed out of the car and for the first time in my racing career I wish the crowd would just shut up already. I walked up to Jax and shook his hand.

“It’s time I talk to pit” I said trembling from nerves

“I’ll come along.” He insisted seeing how nervous I was

I discretely gestured towards Eli and Jacob “No…I need you to watch them.”

“They’ll be fine. You’ll be the one in danger not them”

I let out a deep breathe, but trusted in his words. I instructed Eli and Jacob to wait by the car and made my way to the makeshift tent Pit sat in.

“Well if it isn’t my favorite racer and his bitch” he growled looking up at me

“Let’s skip the bullshit” I spit “After this week I quit” I felt my heart immediately jump to my throat as the words left my lips

“Oh do you now?” he let out with a laugh

“Yes, I do” I said less certain. I began to shake with nerves, but Jax lightly patted me to remind me he had my back.

Pit’s laugh grew harder “Oh kid, you don’t just get to quit when you want. You have to earn the right to quit”

“I have” I spit with venom “I’ve made you 10x more money than I’ve been paid. I’m done here. In fact keep pushing, and I walk right now”

His laughing abruptly stopped “Oh yeah? and what do you think these bidders will think of that?”

“I think they’ll take it out on you” I said figuring out his game “No one wants the blood of a kid on their hands, but a crime boss. Whoof the cops won’t even investigate” I felt a cocky smile meet my face “So let’s do this the best way for both of us. I’ve brought a lot of attention to the underground, and we’ve both made good money. Let this get ugly, and well…then we both get hurt.”

Anger grew heavily in his eyes and he began to grit his teeth “You think you can beat me at my own game?”

“Yes, I do” I said staring him down “like I said a kid goes missing, and the world stops, but you? No one will care. 2 more races after this one, then you’ll never see me again.” I nodded at Jax and we both walked out

“Kid, that was dangerous” I could tell even he was even shaken up by it

“I know, but I think I won” I teased shoving him

“I’ll never understand you” he said starting to relax a bit “You’re one crazy kid”

“That I am” I said laughing

I kicked back with Jacob and Eli, worried that somehow, someway Pit would get me. If he did, I’m spending my last few hours laughing with these two. When it was finally time for my race I gave them both big hugs.

“I love you” I whispered to Eli “You’re my world. Stay near Jason okay? He’ll keep you safe”

“I love you too” he nodded

As I climbed into my car I took a long look into Eli’s bright blue eyes. You’re who I’m standing up for. You’re who I’m living for.

I pulled up to the starting line and anxiously waited for the normal women’s spiel to be over. The second I saw the flag wave I took off like a bat out of hell. I was determined to make these 3 last races my best. After all they might be the last chance I ever get to race. I took every turned as tight as possible, and gave my opponent no shot at beating me. Every time he tried to merge I was there to stop it. I turned up the speed faster and faster as I prepared for the glory of another victory. As I turned the corner to the underpass my heart fell into my stomach and I got a terrible feeling. I’ve seen this moment before…no…I’ve dreamt it. Suddenly the details of my dream came back to me. I sped across the finish line and slammed on my brakes, my opponent not too far behind me. I didn’t even wait to take my helmet off. I opened the door and ran to the sidelines to find Jax sitting on the floor, face bloodied, with Jacob nervously standing over him.

“No..No…NO!” I screamed “Where is he? WHERE IS HE?”

Jacob was shaking from the events that had happened “They took him Jamie…they took him. Jax tried to stop them…but there were too many…they took him”

My mind went blank and my heart felt like it was about to flat line “What?” I screamed out wishing I would just wake up already.

I turned around to find Pit sanding not too far behind me

“A kid goes missing and the world stops…lets test that theory” he growled.

2016 Ace
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Angry 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

aarrgghh. i keep reading and hoping for a happy ending and the knife keeps twisting.
mogwwai

  • Like 1
Link to comment

i knew this was going to happen. I just knew it... But poor ELI. i couldnt imagine being in Jamies shoes right now. I think Jax was right, it's going to come down to kill or be killed. I just hope that Eli is safe and they wont hurt him.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh, Pit. Kidnapping a pretty middle-class kid? The son of a cop? I think you just signed your own death warrant.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Did not see this coming, at all.  Pit does not know who he has, and that will come back to bite him, bad, at least I hope so.  Well done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..