Jump to content
    Aceinthehole
  • Author
  • 2,748 Words
  • 2,007 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tales of the Underground: Velocity - 43. The End

They say love makes you do crazy things. Things like run off and get married or quit their job. Well right now love has me running right into the mouth of hell, a journey I don’t know if I’ll make it back from. I only know one thing, if it means saving Eli it’ll be completely worth it.

The sweat on my hands began to coat the steering wheel, and my heart felt as if it would burst. I sped past the junkyard and down the side street next to it. I was so nervous that I almost rear-ended Jason’s car when I went to park. I popped out and stayed low as I made my way into the passenger’s seat of his car.

“Cut that out” he instructed “You look suspicious as hell”

I could barely sit still “Maybe it’s because I am suspicious as hell! The cops could show up any second now! We have to beat them to it!”

He let out a deep breathe “What exactly did you hear?”

“I heard they got a tip that I’m the Reaper, and that I work here. They didn’t explicitly say that Eli would be here, but that they’re gonna come check it out.” I recited from the best of my memory

“Fucking a” Jason muttered “How long ago was this?”

“Maybe like 15 minutes ago, we need to move now!” I shouted pulling out the ghost Jason had given me

“Put that away!” he ordered “You’re gonna hurt yourself. What the hell are you thinking? We’re just gonna shoot our way through like some sort of action movie?”


“Well…I don’t know, maybe.” I stammered putting the gun back in my waistband “We just need to get to him. He’s here I can feel it.”

“What are you the ghost whisperer?” he ridiculed

“No, I just can okay? I’ve been able to since we got close. I just know when he needs me, and he needs me now!” I spit back “Let’s just get this done.”

“Alright alright relax” he said taking a breath “You said all the guards are new right?”

“Yeah, I didn’t see a single one I recognized” I responded trying to get a good look at him in the dark car

Jax pulled off his jacket to expose his uniform from the underground “They all still dress like this right?”

“For the most part” I answered finally seeing the scaring that was left from his beating. I wish I could say it wasn’t that bad, but it was bad. The top of his left eye was still slightly swollen and looked like it might never fully go down. There were marks and still some cuts scattered under his eyes and across his nose. It was a jarring reminder the hell he would go through to try to keep me and my loved ones safe.

“Okay well let’s tell them I’m a guard and I captured you looking for Eli” Jason said it so casually you would think we were just going through a walk in the park

“Are you crazy?” The panic in my heart finally started to show, as I realized what a suicide mission this would be.

“It’s not crazy, just follow my lead. They’ll send us right to Pit. Where Pit is…well Eli should be as well” he said finally letting some of his own doubt and panic show. I nodded finally understanding.

Suddenly Jason pulled out a pair of handcuffs. “Is that really necessary?” I sighed

“Do you want this to be authentic or not?” he retorted

I held my breath and held out my arms as he clicked them on. “Now keep this in the palm of your hand, if things go south unlock yourself as quick as possible” he lectured placing the lone key in my hands.

Jason stepped out of the driver’s seat, while I struggled to open my door “We couldn’t have put them on outside the car!” I fought

“Hindsight is 20/20” he teased

When I finally escaped the car, we headed towards a small gap sitting in the nearby fence.

“This gap used to drive us crazy when we were on patrol” Jason whispered “We told him to seal it a million times but he never did. Now he’ll pay for it.”

I stayed quiet and looked up at him “Jason…thank you. I don’t know what I did to deserve a friend like you but thank you.” Jason nodded staying quiet “If I don’t get out of here…”

“Damn it kid” he interrupted “You’ll make it out alive. You both will, I’ll make sure of it”

“I can’t ask you to do that” I felt even more guilt fill me as I realized what he meant

“You don’t have to…now be quiet. We have to go unnoticed” I couldn’t tell if he actually wanted to be sneaky, or just didn’t want to think about it.

Jason grabbed onto the chain between my hands and pulled me out of the woods and to the front door of the small building. Jason knocked on the front door so hard; you would think he was trying to knock it down.

As it swung open a big figure appeared in the door “Who the hell are you?” the guard demanded

“One of the new guys” he spit back with a booming voice of his own “I caught the Reaper lurking around here. Man the boss is really gonna like this prize.”

“Yeah? Why don’t you let me take him? You can keep patrolling.” The guard answered with a sinister smile on his face

“Fuck you. He’s mine. Go take over patrol while I bring him to the boss. I’ll be back out there shortly” Jason argued. I did my best to keep my head down, but couldn’t help myself from watching the conversation unfold

The guard contorted his face a little in anger “Fuck me? Fuck you. Guard duty is my job today. Not patrol”

“Yeah well how would the boss like it if the Reaper’s friends got away because you were here fighting me on this?”

The guard gave him a puzzled look “That doesn’t matter” he said with fading confidence “We have the boyfriend…that’s the important piece”

“No” Jason sighed belittling the guard “We have another kid on the loose who can place the Reaper here with us. How’s that gonna look when he goes missing?” The other guard shook his head taking it in “Fucking go already! Take whoever else is here with you too! Now!” Jason ordered

“Fine! Fine! But I’m not telling Johnny to come with me. You can go get him, he’s in the guards room.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at how quickly Jason put the guard in his place. I felt a large hand smack me across the back of the head. Jason got down to my level “This is funny to you” he yelled in my face. I quickly returned my eyes to the floor “That’s what I thought” he said pretending to be proud of himself.

Just like that the other guard bought into our little act and began to scurry away. Jason patiently watched to make sure he would get out of earshot just in case something went wrong.

“Undo the handcuffs now” he quietly demanded

“What? Why? This is working” I whispered back

“Johnny’s Pits right hand man, he’ll recognize me. Dude’s a real scumbag” he mumbled pulling out a pistol of his own “Didn’t you recognize him the other night? He’s always with pit.”

“No” I mumbled. How could I miss something so basic? Especially when it came to Eli’s safety. I quickly followed Jason’s orders and placed the now loose handcuffed in my pockets. I looked at Jason’s gun and matched him with one of my own. As we walked down the narrow hallway my heart jumped into my throat. We’re on the right track…I can just feel it.

Jason paused and looked back at me “Jamie…you’re gonna have to kill today. It’s the only way”

I closed my eyes for a second and sighed “Okay” I replied “For Eli”

“For Eli” Jason reassured “I’m gonna turn this hallway and take out Johnny, that’s when you’re gonna break down the main door and shoot Pit…It’s the only way to ensure Eli’s safety.”

I nodded in agreement “I love you big man

“I love you too kid” he replied without second thoughts “3…2…1…Now” he commanded turning his corner

I charged down the hall way and heard a loud bang from behind me. I quickly turned the nob and shouldered the office door open. I held my breath and aimed my sights right at the portly man sitting in the seat.

“Don’t fucking move” I screamed “You’re mine now”

Pit began to slowly clap “so somehow someway you found a way to hold me up. Impressive. Was it that rat of a guard Jason? I knew putting him with you was a mistake from the beginning.” Suddenly I heard a quiet whimper from the corner, but I didn’t dare to take my eyes off of Pit.

“Jamie” I heard a weak voice call out “You came for me.”

Suddenly I felt a large presence back me up “Why isn’t this done yet?” he demanded

I took a step forward and Pit rose his head high “Because he’s all bark and no bite. Every time he’s killed it’s been by accident. Every accident he’s caused it’s been in ways that only injure and he knows it too.” He let out a smug laugh “Just look at him now, I’ve taken his “whole world” and he still can’t kill me.”

“Shut up” I demanded

“Or what?” Pit asked starting to relax

The gun in my hands began to shake and I quickly looked back to make sure Jason’s gun was also pointed at Pit. He nodded knowing what I really wanted to see. I lowered my gun and ran over to the corner of the room, where a cage no larger than a dog’s laid. The closer I got the more horror I was exposed to.

Eli looked up at me, hair miskept but the same icey blue eyes. “You came.”

“Was there ever a doubt I would?” I said pushing my fingers through the tight bars to touch his

“No…never” he said beginning to cry

“I missed you so much…everyday was pure hell without you. I love you more than I could ever understand” I confessed only making the water works worse.

“I’m sorry to interrupt your little reunion but my guards will be here any minute to blow your brains out” Pit said pretending to be bored “Why don’t we end this peacefully and I’ll let you and your boo go? That is if you stop this quit racing business.” His words were more like a taunt then an offer

I quickly stood back up, and raised my gun to him “You…you’re the reason for all of this pain. I made you more money than god and this is how you repay me?”

“Oh Jamie, can’t you see? You were never meant for this life, if you were I would be dead already. Besides it was a business, I did what I do best…capitalize” he growled with an evil grin

I took a step forward and went to pull the trigger but my fingers just wouldn’t “No” I said putting the gun back in my waistband “Maybe you’re right. I’m not meant for this life…no more violence…not from me” I looked back at Eli “I’ve learned better than that…I know better than that.” Eli flashed a genuine smile through his tears knowing that he had actually reached me “I’m done with this life.”

“Oh well that’s very admirable of you but this world isn’t all sunshine and rainbows. In fact let me tell you something about your big friend here”

“Shut up” Jason growled

“His son didn’t die of cancer like he’s been telling people. he shot him.” Pit squeaked out proud of himself

I looked over at him in shock “It was a mistake” he stuttered defending himself “I thought he was an intruder…he was supposed to be sleeping over at a friend’s…Nia never told me…Nia never told me”

“He served 2 years for manslaughter. He and his wife have been lying about their lives ever since. That’s when he found me looking for work. He was so…”

“That’s enough!” I shouted returning to Eli’s side “I don’t care! If Jason says it was a mistake then it was a mistake! Jason’s proven to me time in and time out how loyal and loving he can be.” I began to fiddle with the lock on the door “He took a beating to defend a kid he met a few months ago. People can redeem themselves…they can change!” I looked over at him and nodded “You’ve made Jordan proud…you were a great father, I can tell”

Jason took a breathe and nodded “What’s the code?” he demanded. Pit opened his mouth and Jason shot next to his arm. The bullet whizzed past just barely missing “The code!” he barked

“5-9-2-6” Pit growled finally realizing the danger he was in.

The second the lock came undone Eli pushed out and jumped on me. His weight laid on top of me, and it felt as though my other half was finally with me…for the first time in days I was happy. I was really happy.

“You know what I have to do now right?” Jason said looking over at us

“I know” I replied pulling Eli’s head into my shoulder so he wouldn’t have to watch. With one final loud bang a bullet pierced right through Pit’s skull ending him once and for all.

“Without Eli that’s what you would have become” Jason let out “his cockiness and arrogance made him think he was invincible…even these last few minutes when he was at gunpoint he didn’t realize he had lost. With all of his resources he should’ve had this place wired and packed with guards but he didn’t…he never did. He believed he was that much more intelligent than everyone else…that much tougher”

I nodded understanding the lesson “Jason, I can’t thank you enough for this” I admitted tears starting to stream down my face “I’m sorry for ever doubting you…I’m sorry”

A wide genuine smile crossed Jason’s face, but before I knew what hit him he collapsed to the floor. A loud boom filled the air as I let go of Eli and ran over to him.

The second I reached his body I felt something knock me to the ground. I tried to get back up but some outside force seemed to keep me pinned to the ground. Suddenly I felt a warm liquid ooze across my chest. I shoved my hand to it, and brought it back to my face to find a dark red fluid dripping from it.

“Jamie!” Eli screeched out running to my side.

“No Eli…no” I pushed out. I lifted my head as much as possible to see who the gunman was. I heard loud steps begin to boom into the room before a figure finally appeared in the doorway.

“Dad?” Eli cried out between deep breaths

“I knew he had something to do with this” Captain Warren announced in anger “I heard it all on the radio…I knew it”

“What have you done?” Eli hopelessly yelped trying to stop the bleeding.

I looked over at him but couldn’t manage any words. His perfect features only seemed more angelic with every passing second. Before I knew it my vision started to blur and ringing started in my ears.

“Jamie” I heard a powerful female voice call out “Come home to me.”

“Mom? I called out at the disembodied voice

“No…No…Jamie no!” Eli’s tears began to coat my face, yet I couldn’t feel them “Stay with me! Stay with me!” Something in Eli slowly began to snap as he realized just how bad the situation was. “You!” he shouted looking up at his dad “You did this!”

My vision started to darken and the world grew cold. The last thing I could make out was Eli pulling the gun from my waistband. I tried to call out and stop him but I didn’t have the strength.

As my world turned black I heard one last bang followed by a body hitting the floor…I couldn’t tell who’s it was.

There will be one last chapter (focusing on the aftermath of these events) coming out in the next few days. Until then enjoy the madness.
2016 Ace
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG! i cant imagine what the aftermath is going to be like. i knew Eli's dad hated Jamie. But he didnt have to shoot him. FUCK! i dont want the story to end like this. It has to be something... Sorry for the language. Anyway, i loved this story. And i fell for Jamie.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/09/2016 06:16 AM, Remijay said:

OMG! i cant imagine what the aftermath is going to be like. i knew Eli's dad hated Jamie. But he didnt have to shoot him. FUCK! i dont want the story to end like this. It has to be something... Sorry for the language. Anyway, i loved this story. And i fell for Jamie.

Its all good, the whole book is laced I profanity what are a few more? Even though I knew I would take it this direction, this was easily the hardest thing I've ever had to write.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

There was no other way to end this book. I can see that clearly. Jamie would have been left a broken soul or stuck in the Underground forever. The only other way it could have ended was Pitt dying and Jamie taking his place. If that had happened, he would have ended up worse than Pitt was. He would have justified everything he did in the name of protecting Eli. Neither would have ended up happy. Great job!!! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..