Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crosscurrents - Prologue. Prologue

I spent the final spring break of my college years by myself. Instead of the standard beach trip this time, my crew--jocks, most of them, and their women--had gone to the mountains of Colorado. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't wanted to go when the plans first came up. And I'd have had a great time.

Still, I'm not really a "mountains" kind of guy. No, for me it's the beach. The ocean. The sun and the surf. Specifically, the Texas Gulf Coast: Mustang Island, where I'd played as a child occasionally, where I'd spent every free weekend I could grab for the trip as a teenager...and where the tides had turned for me.

I was on the verge of a new phase of my life: I was leaving college, and I figured that meant I was supposed to be all grown up. Actually, I wasn't leaving college altogether; I was headed to grad school and delaying my entry into the real world for a little while longer. But Angie and I had set a tentative date. I took that seriously; and as the weight of that decision, that commitment, settled in on me, I needed time to myself.

Angie was fine with that, as she was about almost everything that came up between us. I'd dated a lot of women, but I'd never met one as willing to let me be who I am. I never feel like I have to hide who I am with her. She understands that the depths get murky sometimes and that I need time and space once in awhile to stay in the game. So I said goodbye to her on Friday, and she spent break week with her parents. She wanted to catch up on stuff with her sister and brother anyway.

The day after we got home from school, I made a call to an old friend, and then I drove over to his house and picked up a key to a condo down on Mustang Island that I knew almost as well as if it were my own. I'd made the request of Ruben's mom a month or so earlier, and my old high school jock crew and their parents, well, we've all walked a lot of road together. Sometimes it feels almost like their parents are mine and mine are theirs. There's a bond among families of teammates; it's not a bad thing. So early Sunday morning I loaded the stuff I wanted to take into my dad's SUV and set off on the eight-hour drive to Mustang Island, the place where I first fully experienced my life as a locus of powerful, and not-too-easily-navigated, crosscurrents. I needed to be there with myself, my thoughts: thoughts of my future, my past...but especially, of Matt.

I checked in around five. I did the necessary paperwork, wrote the check for the cleanup service that would set things right after my stay, walked around the corner from the front office, took the elevator to the third floor, and continued a good fifty feet south, until I was standing at the door of the condo.

I put the key in the lock, turned the handle, opened the door...

...and found myself staring into a roomful of ghosts.

Memories assaulted me with a ferocity I wasn't prepared for. Sounds, words spoken and left unspoken, feelings as familiar as my own breath, but not as matter-of-fact, all came back to me as I walked in. A heaviness threatened to settle in, and I wondered for a minute if I should have come here alone.

But these ghosts were mine and nobody else's; anyway, the haunting was part of the reason I came. I needed to deal with those ghosts: phantoms of other possibilities; memories that trail off into dead ends; wishes for square triangles; and the chimera of The Endless Summer.

I shook off the feelings and began to walk back to the lobby. There I grabbed a luggage-cart, and, hauling out all my gear from the SUV, wheeled the cart first into the elevator and then into the condo. After I'd put my stuff away, I stripped off my jeans and polo shirt, changed into some beachwear, took the elevator back down, and walked down the long boardwalk to the beach.

If you're a "beach" kind of person, you understand how the salt-and-sea-life smell can sort of take you away. I spent about an hour walking up and down the shoreline, transfixed by the beauty, aching over having been away too long, remembering.

How does a person live with, and own, the choices he has to make when life presents him with a prepackaged, limited set that doesn't really meet the deepest longings of the heart? That's what I was here to think about. I'd been deeply in love with Angie for years. To be the love of her life and the father of her children, to grow old with her, loving her, making love to her...contemplating these things filled me with joy and optimism about our future.

And yet, even as I looked forward with anticipation to our impending life together, as I dreamed about our future together as a house in which the two of us would take up residence...I was aware that for me, because of the way I'd been made, and because of the currents that were stirred into being here at this very place along the Gulf Coast, there would always be in that house an empty room, a place where I spent time alone and lonely; and I understood that that room would always be empty.

I also understood that there would be a nameplate on its door, designating the space for someone who would never live there with me: "Matt."

I had come here for these few days to remember, to regret, to love, and to make my peace with that.

2003-2013 Adam Phillips; All Rights Reserved. This story and its characters remain the property of the author and may not be reproduced or republished elsewhere without the author's written consent. Chapters may contain scenes depicting a loving and/or sexual relationship between consenting males. If you find this material morally or legally questionable, please do not read further.
  • Like 32
  • Love 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Someone told me about your story because we both have the same protagonists, Andy and Matt. I plan on reading your story as soon as I finish the last chapter of mine. It's called Knots. Ironically, our introduction is somewhat similar. Small world.

Uplifted Spirite

  • Like 1
Link to comment

It has been a while so I had to reread this all. Nice prologue. Sets up the whole piece and immediately captures the attention of the reader.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Power beginning. You have captured not only interest but created a gut wrenching pathos. I look forward to the rest of the story, thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Adam, I had to go back and reread the prologue before I r&r'd the epilogue. Now the beginning and ending flow together so nicely.

 

I need to read the first chapter over too. lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Was exploring older stories in the site, and decided to start this. Very interesting start, make us start feeling, but I am not sure what... Sadness, lonelyness, love?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The title is so fitting; such a perfect metaphor.  Everything in this story ties together so beautifully that it actually makes me become embarrassingly emotional whenever I read it.  It's that powerful.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..