Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 750 Words
  • 913 Views
  • 10 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Advent Calendar - 17. Door#17 - Reindeer Games

Reindeer Games

James jumped when he felt a pair of arms snake around his waist, drawing him backward.

“How’s the training coming along?”

“Jeez, Chris! You scared the crap outta me!”

Chris kissed James’ neck. “Sorry, babe, but I needed to see you. You know how stressful this time of year is.”

“I know.” James turned his head slightly so Chris could see his smirk. “I think someone’s been hitting the cookies a bit early.” He poked the other man in his ample belly.

“Hey!” Chris protested. “I’m not the Pillsbury Dough Boy.”

James tickled him again. “Oh c’mon…giggle for me.”

“He he.” Chris attempted to imitate the advertising icon, but failed miserably, producing more of a combination of ‘he’ and ‘ho’.

James laughed as they separated and stood at the paddock fence.

“Seriously, though. How is the training coming along? Donner has a hoof abscess, and it may not heal before the twenty-fourth. We need to think of a replacement.”

James furrowed his brows as he thought. He was in charge of the reindeer breeding program and young stock. He had been training three young bucks, but only one of them had progressed enough to possibly handle the big night. James thought he’d be OK with the guidance of the elder reindeer, but he would need to increase his training schedule and add some endurance work.

“I have one that would probably work. He needs conditioning though, and training with the full team.”

“Great! Which one is he?”

James let out a piercing whistle, and a tan reindeer immediately trotted up to the fence. He rubbed the animal’s forehead, and the reindeer bobbed its head in appreciation.

“What’s his name?”

“This is Rex.”

Chris held out his hand, and the animal sniffed it tentatively before licking, then butting his head against it.

“Well, you’ve passed the test. Rex is your friend for life now.”

The blare of Jingle Bells intruded on the moment, and Chris fished his cell phone out of his pocket. “No rest for the weary,” he stated before answering. After a brief conversation, he shoved the phone back into his pocket. “Sorry, babe. Crisis in the workshop. Apparently we’re out of powder blue.” He rolled his eyes. “I ordered extra after last year’s fiasco, so I don’t see how it’s possible we went through a hundred gallons already.”

James laughed. “Well, I’ll be glad when the season is over, and I can have you to myself again.”

Chris kissed James before heading to the main workshop. “You and me both!”

*****

Rex was added to the conditioning schedule, and it wasn’t long before he was training with the full team. James was very proud of the young reindeer; he handled everything like a pro and was ready to go on the big night, since Donner’s hoof abscess hadn’t fully healed.

One of James’ fondest wishes was to ride in the sleigh with Chris on Christmas Eve. Sitting snuggled next to his boyfriend while they drove all over the world seemed like the most romantic thing he could think of. There wasn’t room for him, though. Chris, plus three elves, along with their haul of toys and gifts, had the sleigh filled to capacity.

He looked longingly at the elaborately decorated red vehicle as he adjusted Rex’s harness. “You be good now, hear? This is the most important day of the year. You’ve been working so hard, and you’re ready. Make me proud,” he said, stroking the soft muzzle.

Rex bobbed his head and stamped his foot. He was ready. James and Rex both jumped when a loud cry followed by a thump drew their attention. James ran around the sleigh to find Chris and the other elves surrounding Jasper, one of Chris’ regular helpers.

“I think my leg is broken!” Jasper groaned in pain.

One of the elves ran for help while James and Chris tended to the injured worker. After Jasper was brought to the house for treatment, Chris turned to his lover. “How’d you like to give me a hand tonight?”

James stared at Chris silently, hardly believing that his dream was coming true. Chris mounted the sleigh, then held out his hand. James joined him, settling into his side. A grin spread across his face as his boyfriend shouted, “On Dasher, on Dancer, on Prancer and Vixen. On Comet, on Cupid, on Rex and Blitzen!”

They flew into the clear night sky, disappearing as a booming laugh echoed across the landscape.

One day I will already have copied the link to the story thread, one day...but not today. Thank you for reading. As always, we love to hear from you!
Copyright © 2016 aditus, Cole Matthews, Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 2
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So this Santa Chris accidentaly hurt one of his helper elfs so he could travel the world with his boyfriend, very sELFish of him ! I know who wrote this one, it must be Wildone :funny::gikkle: he wants revenge for his Santa killing story from last year :lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist !
Seriously, I liked this story, made me smile while I read it. I hope the elfs leg wasn't broken, please tell me it was only a candy cane he had in his pocket that was broken :)

 

Thanks, Cole :unsure2:

Link to comment

I loved this story. I'm glad James got to go along. In the spirit of the holiday, I'd like to think Chris and his elves arranged it so James could go and no one actually was hurt before the big day.

Link to comment

Santa will have such a nice evening with his boyfriend by his side. Good for James to see how Rex does out there after all his training. A merry Christmas indeed.

 

I know I guessed Val for 16, but I have to do it again... Or are you trying to trick us...? LOL

Link to comment

I seem to recall reading a Chris meets James tale...
goes away to poke around in old stories...
wait, that's cheating :*) never mind, good story even though the poor elf broke his leg.

Link to comment

I was a little slow to catch on to Chris' identity... What a fun little story. You should consider adding pictures and publishing these stories. A great Christmas anthology. Thanks. Jeff

Link to comment

What a great heartwarming story! :)

 

I love that James got to ride in the sleigh with Santa, oops, I mean Chris. Hehe Hopefully everyone is right and the elf didn't really hurt his leg. :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..