Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 465 Words
  • 1,360 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Advent Calendar - 19. Door#19 - Poem#2

Poem#2

Darlene Love’s Christmas is playing in the background. Andrei grips the glass so hard it hurts. He welcomes the pain. It tethers him to life, tells him it is good to feel. The whiskey though, the whiskey says ‘let go’, to drink himself into alluring numbness. One day at a time. That has been his mantra for over two years now—two years of being sober. When it all began, he thought it was just a phase, thought he could stop anytime he wanted, if he wanted; relied on Rue to make it right, and never, never faced the truth: I am an alcoholic.

Andrei’s other hand is clutching a crumpled sheet of paper—Poem#2— hidden in his coat pocket.

Baby,

Today I finally will go

To catch the train to—Idaho.

With dawn two hours yet away,

Baby, I really can no longer stay.

 

Honey,

I am the one, who hinders you,

Who stops you to admit what’s true.

I was an idiot, now you pay.

Honey, I really can no longer stay.

 

Darling,

Without me, you must take this road,

Let others help you bear the load.

They told me I am in your way,

Darling, I really can no longer stay.

 

Andrei,

I hope so much that this is right,

And it will make you start to fight

And if you still want me one day

Just call and I’ll come back, my love, Andrei.

 

 

I will never change my number.

 

When Andrei pushes the glass away, it’s with a little too much force, and some whisky dots the polished wood of the bar. Smiling sheepishly at the bartender, he quickly dabs it away with a napkin. The man takes the glass without a word, and pours the whiskey into the sink with an exaggerated flourish. “Another one?”

“No thanks.” Andrei gets his wallet out. “What do I owe you, Paul?”

“It’s on the house.” The bartender rinses the glass out, polishes it until it gleams, and then gives it back to Andrei. “When do you have to be at the train station?”

“In forty minutes.” Andrei grabs some more napkins, wraps them around the glass, and pockets it. “Thank you, Paul. For everything.” He looks around the bar. “I can’t believe you’re working here.”

“I’m where I’m needed.” They look at each other in understanding. “And…did your poet tell you where he went to?”

“Idaho.”

“Where?” Paul eyebrows are almost touching his hairline.

“Idaho.” Andrei grins. “Rue always said that when he drove around with no destination in mind.” Then he looks at his phone, hops from the barstool, lifts his hand in a short wave, and is out of the bar without looking back.

 

Darlene Love: Christmas

Thank you for reading. If you like, stop by the story topic. It's become a wonderful place, where readers share their memories and thoughts with us. Makes me all warm and fuzzy...
Copyright © 2016 aditus, Cole Matthews, Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Intriguing, I like it. Hmmm, well Val writes poetry but then so does Adi and this poem flows so beautifully ... hmmmmm ...

Link to comment

Such a difficult choice... When to call it quits? Should one leave a door open? My mother chose the first but not the second, fearing for us kids if things progressed any further. The guilt she felt must have been huge, especially since my grandparents blamed her for things getting worse. Much worse...

 

Maybe Andrei and Rue are able to work things out. Even if they don't, Andrei has won a great victory and I sincerely hope he realizes this too.

 

So a guess... I'd say Cole.

Link to comment

I love the way the story unfolds, beginning with the narrative, then the poem, and back to the narrative.

 

So Rue left so Andrei could get sober? And Andrei did, for two years, so does this mean Rue has been gone for two years? Now Andrei can get him back? But does his drink in the bar mean he fell off the wagon?

 

So many questions! Maybe I'm just slow tonight. :P

Link to comment

This piece is a little bit of a challenge to understand, but I agree with Lisa's assessment. I hope it the right one :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..