Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 1,491 Words
  • 1,249 Views
  • 32 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Advent Calendar - 6. Door#6 - To Fly

To Fly


“Is this really okay?”

“I’m fine, Anna.” Cameron smiled at his sister. He could see she was itching to be with her friends.

“You’re warm?”

Cameron patted the reflective blanket he had draped over his knees, then lifted the to-go mug with hot cocoa. “I’m good.”

“And you won’t get bored?”

“Jesus, Anna. You’re worse than Mom. Go!” He winked at her. “Show off your fine ass in those new jeans.”

“Cam!” Putting her fists on her hips, she pretended to be scandalized, but then she laughed and wiggled her butt. “Fine ass indeed!” She quickly bent down to give him a kiss on the cheek, then waddled off to the rink on her skates, where she immediately huddled with her girlfriends. Some boys called Anna’s name and made kissy faces when she looked up. The girls giggled, then promptly turned their backs to them, feigning disinterest. Seeing this, Cam rolled his eyes and grinned. Girls.

Fifteen minutes later, when Cameron was sure Anna was properly distracted, he wheeled his chair over to the second rink where his school’s ice hockey team was practicing. This was why he had agreed to accompany Anna: to watch them chasing each other over the ice, hunting for the puck at breakneck speed. As always, it was only a matter of time until his gaze was glued to the tall figure of Ben Miller. He was by far the fastest player on the team despite his size, and when he pumped his fist in the air, whooping loudly after he scored once again, Cameron’s heart beat wildly in his chest.

This was when Cameron imagined himself racing over infinite ice, with Ben behind him, pushing him. Wind in their hair, they would go faster and faster, and as their eyes teared up from the cold air, he would spread his arms and yell at the top of his lungs. He would fly.

After practice, some of the players went over to the public rink and mixed with the skaters. They grabbed squealing girls by their hips and sped them over the ice, stealing kisses at the end. But never Ben. He always smiled at Cam and then disappeared into the locker room.

Cam was making his way back so Anna wouldn’t notice he was missing, when he heard hasty steps behind him. “Cam! Wait!” He turned around and saw Ben running toward him, a large sports bag bouncing against his side. With his face flushed red, he pointed at the concession stand. “Wanna have a hot cocoa with me? I believe they even have those tiny marshmallows.”

***

“Where are we going?”

Shaking his head, Ben looked into the rearview mirror and, when he spotted a gap, pulled the car from the curb into the traffic. “Nu-uh. It’s a secret.”

Cameron wheedled. “Come on. Gimme at least a hint.”

“Nope. As a matter of fact, I want you to close your eyes and put some headphones on.” He grinned when his boyfriend grumbled, but still pulled out his phone and put the little blue knobs into his ears. After closing his eyes, Cam muttered, “This better be good.” And after a short pause, “And doesn’t take long.”

Ben couldn’t stop looking at Cam, now that he wasn’t aware of it. Wearing a purple slouch beanie over tousled black curls, his lips in full pouting mode, dark eyebrows pulled together in a frown, he was beautiful. Even though he wore thick, interlined pants, they couldn’t hide his thin legs, which were in stark contrast to his strong arms and upper body, a testament of having to sit in a wheelchair or walking with the help of crutches. Ben would always think of the day when he finally grabbed his heart in both his hands and asked Cam out to drink cocoa after training, as their first date. For the last four years, the younger man had become his world and when one drunken night Cam had confessed his dream, Ben had known he would do everything he could to grant Cam his greatest wish. Now, finally the time had come. Today he would make him fly.

Ben slowed down the car. “Keep your eyes closed, birthday boy.” When Cam didn’t react, Ben rolled his eyes at his own stupidity, before he pulled out one of Cam’s earbuds and repeated his words.

“Yeah, yeah. Just hurry with whatever we’re doing,” Cam mock-grumbled. Ben grinned, because he knew in reality Cam loved every minute of this.

After he got the wheelchair out and unfolded it, he brought it over to the passenger door, opened it, and took Cam’s hand to place it on the armrest. Amazed, he watched Cam glide into it with practiced ease. Ben grabbed his backpack and the birthday gift and then pushed Cam along a steep, bumpy path to the bank of the lake.

“Goddamn, Ben! Where the hell are we?” Luckily though, Cam’s eyes were still firmly closed.

Ben couldn’t help the warmth he felt at his boyfriend’s trust. He bent down and nipped at his earlobe. ”Soon.”

When they reached the bank of the lake, he put his finger on his lips to shush their friends and family, who were already waiting for them, covered in warm jackets and coats, holding colorful, wrapped gifts in their hands. There was even a cake.

He pushed the chair over a small ramp his brother had built right onto the ice, then put the metal contraption he had been carrying along on the ground. Carefully, he maneuvered the chair into it and then two metallic clanks sounded over the lake. Ben sat down on a boulder and quickly put his skates on, anxiously watching Cam, who was visibly impatient now. He glided over to him and grabbed the chair’s handles, just when Cam pulled out his earphones. “Ben! I’m opening my eyes now.”

“Do it, baby!” Then Ben took up speed. He knew exactly when Cam’s eyes were open.

“Oh my God! Ben! OhmyGodohmyGodohmyGod! We’re on the ice!” And seconds later, “Everyone is here!”

Ben grinned. “Surprise!” He cruised around leisurely before he stopped and opened his backpack. “I’m going to put a helmet on your head now, Cam, and fasten a seatbelt.”

Blue eyes stared at him knowingly. “Ben?”

“That’s right, baby. We’re gonna fly now.” Ben curled his hands around the handles, and then sped up. The lake was large, and the ice acceptable even; he had tested it several times. His heart still beat like crazy when the wind tugged at their hair and their eyes started tearing.

Cam whooped and laughed the whole time. As he said he would, he spread his arms, pretending to fly. When they finally stopped in the middle of the lake, his eyes were glistening with tears of joy.

“Ben! How did you do this?”

Ben skated around Cam until he was in front of him. “It’s called an ice-glider. Originally, I planned to build something like this for you with my buddy Frankie, but then I found this on the Internet, already tested and fairly safe. It comes from Switzerland.” He kneeled down and took Cam’s face into his hands. “I knew this has been your greatest wish for such a long time. I could finally make it come true for you.” Then he searched for cold lips and kissed them warm. “Happy birthday, baby.”

“I can’t believe it. You really made me fly.” Cam threw his arms around Ben’s neck and pressed their foreheads together. “I love you so much.”

They stayed like this for several minutes, then Ben took in a deep breath. “Of course, I have your usual gift as well.” He pulled a stuffed Santa from his coat pocket. “Your yearly Christmas tree ornament.” He watched Cam take it from his hand. “Wanna share a tree with me this year?”

“W-what?”

Ben looked pointedly at the little ornament and knew exactly when Cam noticed the ring Santa was holding in his hands.

“Shit!”

Ben blinked a moment, then grinned. “Marry me?”

Cam slapped a hand over his mouth. “B—“

Ben shook his head, not letting him finish the word. “No more buts. We already discussed all of them to exhaustion. All I want to hear right now is yes,” he swallowed visibly, “or no.”

Cam stared at him with watery eyes. Ben was right; he had checked the boxes of Cam’s every ‘but’ many times over. Looking at the man watching him with an anxious expression, he finally understood that true flying meant leaving the security of solid ground and spreading his wings. Ben was the wind that was carrying him. Before Cam knew it, he whispered, “Yes.”

Ben hesitated only seconds, before he ripped the ring from Santa’s hands and put it on Cam’s finger. Then he yelled across the lake, “He said yes!” And the loud cheering from their family and friends answered him.

Thank you for reading what's behind Door#6! Today we're making it a seeeecret again. :funny:  Who wrote it? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Please, share them with us here, or at the story thread.
Oh, and it's St. Nicholas Day around here. I polished my boots last night, and guess what? I found something nice and chocolaty this morning. :D 
Copyright © 2016 aditus, Cole Matthews, Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 3
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



What a wonderful way to make a dream come true! A beautiful story!

 

The little jump in time was slightly confusing at first…

Link to comment

This was perfectly wonderful. I cannot help but smile for the rest of the day. And I vote Adi. But if I'm wrong, it won't matter a smidge! I'll be smiling anyhow.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

Warm fuzzies abound in this one! Loved it, just loved it! :D :D
Ben is a wonderful guy for fulfilling Cam's dream to fly.
I like too that he took the time to head off - by telling Cam he checked the ice several time and outfitted Cam with a seatbelt and helmet - any concern Cam might have had about being on the ice in a wheelchair. His caring and considerate side really shines through with these gestures.
I cried happy tears reading this it was just that beautiful and I second purrbaby that we need to hear more from these two guys.
Nicely done Adi, nicely done. :)

Link to comment

Truly delightful! The cold was omnipresent, but so was the building warmth erupting into a blaze at the end.

 

Thank you (Adi…!) for a beautiful installment.

Link to comment

What a great little romantic story! It would be fun to read more about these guys another time. Thanks. Jeff

Link to comment

Love can make you fly, literally sometimes... LOL A very sweet story, well written even though it was short.

 

I'm guessing Cole wrote this one! For no particular reaso really.

Link to comment

Such a beautiful story, made me grin like a fool at the end with happy tears in my eyes. Well done secret author.. "waddles" A penguin waddles so my guess is that Valkyrie wrote this :)

Link to comment

I cried when I read it weeks ago, and I cried again reading it tonight. It is such a beautiful story! Ben is such a romantic, and Cam is so cute. I would love to see these boys again. :)

 

Wonderful heartwarming story. =)

Link to comment

I'm not going to guess, because I'm hopeless, but I loved the brief glimpse of a skating romance. Can it please be expanded to a novel? :yes:

Link to comment
On 12/06/2016 05:33 PM, droughtquake said:

What a wonderful way to make a dream come true! A beautiful story!

 

The little jump in time was slightly confusing at first…

Thank you, droughtquake! I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2016 08:08 PM, Gene63 said:

"Beautiful!!" he says thru the tears!!!

OMG! Thank you, Gene! :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2016 08:30 PM, Ivor Slipper said:

Gene 63 - you said it for me!

Thank you, Ivor Slipper! :hug:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/06/2016 11:24 PM, dughlas said:

This was glorious ... thank you, Adi?

You're welcome, dughlas. :) Thank you! And you guessed right! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/07/2016 01:06 AM, purrbaby said:

I want to read more from these guys!

Maybe, one day... Thank you, purrbaby!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/07/2016 02:21 AM, Parker Owens said:

This was perfectly wonderful. I cannot help but smile for the rest of the day. And I vote Adi. But if I'm wrong, it won't matter a smidge! I'll be smiling anyhow.

I'm glad I made you smile. :) Can there be a greater compliment? Thank you, Parker.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/07/2016 04:20 AM, Reader1810 said:

Warm fuzzies abound in this one! Loved it, just loved it! :D :D

Ben is a wonderful guy for fulfilling Cam's dream to fly.

I like too that he took the time to head off - by telling Cam he checked the ice several time and outfitted Cam with a seatbelt and helmet - any concern Cam might have had about being on the ice in a wheelchair. His caring and considerate side really shines through with these gestures.

I cried happy tears reading this it was just that beautiful and I second purrbaby that we need to hear more from these two guys.

Nicely done Adi, nicely done. :)

lol, what gave me away? Ah, I'm so happy you mentioned the helmet and seat belt. When I had the idea for this story, I thought it would be nice theoretically, to fly on the ice, but much too dangerous. I had to make it safe for Cam.

Thank you so much, Reader! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/07/2016 05:41 AM, AC Benus said:

Truly delightful! The cold was omnipresent, but so was the building warmth erupting into a blaze at the end.

 

Thank you (Adi…!) for a beautiful installment.

Wonderful words, AC. Thank you so much!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/07/2016 05:52 AM, JeffreyL said:

What a great little romantic story! It would be fun to read more about these guys another time. Thanks. Jeff

Thank you, Jeff! You're not the only one who wants more of Ben and Cam. Maybe next year... in another Advent Calendar? Who knows. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..