Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 2,070 Words
  • 4,976 Views
  • 27 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Caesura - 6. Chapter 6

“It says they’re closed on Monday.” Noël pointed at the door of the little hole-in-the-wall restaurant they were to meet Diarmad and Cieran O’Conner.

“Yeah, I know.” Simon knocked sharply. “But Landyn knows the owner, and Mario agreed to let us use one of the backrooms.”

“Okaaay...?”

Simon peered through the dark window. “The thought was to meet them on neutral ground rather than the penthouse again.”

“Neutral ground, huh?” Noël snorted derisively. “This is not the War of the Roses, Si.”

“So you did want to have Laird around for this?”

Noël’s blue-green eyes instantly turned dark and thunderous. “That slimy sleazeball! I can’t believe—” He inhaled deeply before he looked up and down the street. “Aren’t we going to wait for Landyn?”

“He’s here— guarding us.”

Noël’s eyes widened. “Oh...”

“Yes.” Simon threw a gaze over his shoulder, as if he expected someone to eavesdrop on them, before he whispered, “Landyn talked with Ronan. They agreed something feels off, but they can’t put their finger on it. Yet.”

“With ‘off’ you mean what exactly?”

“We’re just keeping our eyes open; see if we can spot anything unusual.”

“Diarmad is radiating aggravation and annoyance if that counts as ‘off’.” When Simon lifted an eyebrow, Noël held his hands up. “What? I can sense it without actively reading him.”

“No one can sense the King, Noël. He has closed himself off to everyone months ago.”

“Oh.” Staring off into the distance, he finally muttered, “Maybe it’s the mate bond then. They said it can’t be severed.”

“No, it can’t.” Simon pushed at Noël’s bangs, revealing the small, blue triangle tattoo between his eyebrows. “Your powers have increased immensely, haven’t they?”

“Yeah.”

“Did Kris ask you about the tattoo? It’s quite unusual.”

Noël took a step back so his hair fell over the tattoo again. “He said that I should tattoo a dragon over the damned vine next.” He grabbed Simon’s forearm. “And before you ask, no, I won’t read Diarmad. I swore an oath, and even if I hadn’t, as long as Diarmad doesn’t do anything harmful and—slash—or I get a court order, I will not violate his privacy or Seraei law.”

“How can you call what he did to you not harmful?” Simon asked louder than he probably intended.

“It doesn’t affect his reign.”

“Yet.” Simon snarled.

Ignoring him, Noël turned to the door when they finally heard a key being turned in the lock. It opened to a portly man smiling broadly. “Signore Simon! Come in, come in!”

“Mario!” Simon wrapped his arms around the man and air-kissed his cheeks. “Thank you for having us!”

“Of course, of course. I’m here on Mondays anyway, doing the books, paying bills, getting away from the wife...”

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear the last one.” Simon looked around the empty room. “Anyone here yet?”

“Si, si. Signore O’Connor and four other men are waiting for you in the back.”

“Four?” Mario nodded eagerly while he led them through the main guest room into a small hallway. Two of Ronan’s men were guarding one of the doors on the right.

When Noël saw them, he immediately went over, holding out his hand. “Darius. Carl. How have you been?” Both men grinned back. “Lord Noël. We’re fine.” For a moment it looked as if they wanted to say more, but then they just stepped aside and Carl knocked on the door, which immediately opened to Ronan’s scowling face.

“My Lord. Simon. Please come in.”

“Lord Noël, Simon.” Cieran got up from his chair as soon as he saw them enter. “Didn’t Landyn want to come too?”

“He asked me to apologize; something came up.” Simon turned to Diarmad and bowed. “My King.” Not waiting for an answer, he pulled out a chair for Noël.

“Simon.” Diarmad barely looked at him; his gaze was fixed on his soon-to-be ex-mate. “Noël. How are you?”

“I’m fine, thank you.”

“How is school?”

“Fine.”

“Great.” Simon’s voice was a little too loud when he took the seat beside Noël. “Let’s get this over with as quickly as possible, shall we?”

The smile on Cieran’s face vanished and his expression hardened at Simon’s curt words. “Certainly.” After some fumbling with the manila folder lying in front of him, he finally managed to open it, took out a multi-page document, and passed it over to Noël and Simon. “This is the final agreement. Please read it thoroughly and make sure it contains everything we talked about in the pre-negotiations.”

“Thank you, Cieran.” Simon took the papers in hand. “Noël will shield us now, so don’t be alarmed if you can’t hear us. We just need to go over this in private.”

Cieran looked questioningly at Diarmad, who signaled his consent with a wave of his hand. “Of course.”

Frowning, Noël established the shield. “Do you really think this is necessary? We already know what’s in the document.” He narrowed his eyes. “Or are you doing this for show?”

“I can still hear them, are you sure the shield is up?”

“It’s a one-way shield; we can hear them but they can’t hear us.”

“Oh...advanced shielding. You’re that good?”

“Yep. Now answer my question.”

“Okay. You’re right. I did this as much for political reasons as for being thorough. One doesn’t simply nod at an important document. Showing off your new abilities is a bonus.”

“If you think so.”

“I do.” Simon read the first page. “Just your names, status, and the nature of the document.” He turned over to the next page. “It says here ‘Lord Noël will participate in council meetings, if his time allows it and his input is necessary. In case the King cannot attend an important meeting, Lord Noël’s attendance is mandatory.’ Is that okay for you?”

“If they are prepared to adjust their schedule in case I’m busy with things I have to do, like exams, or if I’m out of town.”

“Okay, we will clear this later.” Simon scribbled something beside the relevant section, then continued reading. “Blah. Blah, blah, blah...” Simon went over section after section, before he stopped again. “Here you’re agreeing to help the King balance his powers if the need occurs.” He turned to Noël. “Cieran told me repeatedly that the King doesn’t believe this part of the contract is necessary. Cieran had to insist on adding it.”

“So he still thinks his severe illness was a scheme of the McGills?”

“Yes. He explained he did get better because he threw Moira out, not because you were living with him.”

“But he was getting better while she was still there!”

“I know.”

“How can he be so blind? Didn’t he read the old scripts? Does he think the McGills manipulated them too?”

“According to him, it’s nothing but hearsay and mumbo jumbo.”

“What!?”

“Cieran said he tried everything, but the King won’t be deterred. I think in the end, he agreed to take this part into the contract just to appease Cieran.” Simon sighed. “Look, we know Diarmad will need you to balance his power. When this happens, we are to schedule regular meetings and talk about the proceedings.”

“The proceedings?”

“Location, dates, duration, who will attend beside you and him.”

“Oh.” Noël closed his eyes briefly. “The need...” He made quotations marks with his hands. “…will definitely occur. You know this as well as I do. I can’t imagine what he’s thinking. Let’s give him six months, at the most, and he’ll start showing signs of exhaustion again.”

“That’s what Landyn says too. I guess we have to wait until it actually happens before we talk about the modus operandi.” Simon pointed at another part of the document. “You’re still adamant in declining financial support?”

“I am.”

“Noël...”

“No, Simon.”

“Okay, okay. I’m just making sure. The council will pay for expenses due to official matters, representative duties, and such. No money from Diarmad.” Simon read the last parts of the document, while Noël was tapping his fingers against his thigh.

“Okay, the rest is just more legal blabbering. No loopholes, no hidden agenda, I guess we’re done here.”

“Let’s head out then.” Noël lifted the shield, and Simon pushed the document over the table. “We’d like to make a tiny adjustment at the marked paragraph. Noël can’t be dragged out of exams or mandatory classes on a whim. If he has to attend a council meeting because the King is tied up elsewhere, you have to tell us in advance or you might have to reschedule anyway.”

After talking briefly with Diarmad, Cieran agreed. “That won’t be a problem.”

“Also, when you start scheduling these meetings, you have to know that Landyn and I plan to take Noël and Kristof to the lake house for spring break. And in the summer, we’ll take the boat to Florida, maybe the Bahamas, we’re not sure yet, which means he won’t be available then either.”

“That will be fine. I am sure Cieran can provide you with the protocols of the meetings you missed when you come back,” Diarmad said, waving his hand impatiently. He seemed wanting to end the conversation just as much as Simon and Noël.

“Of course.” Cieran scribbled something on the backside of the page. “Just run the dates by me later tonight, and I will include them in the contract. You and Lord Noël can go over it one last time, and then, if you both agree, he and the King will sign it with us as the witnesses. We’ll exchange the documents and provide copies and then all will be done.”

“Perfect. Will that be all?” Simon looked from Cieran to Diarmad.

“Actually, no.” Cieran turned to Noël. “Council member Annie McLeod begged me to ask you if you still wanted to be part of her art center work group.” Then he turned to Simon. “They want to establish a music and arts center in one of the side buildings of the council hall. Due to their financial situation, most human schools no longer have a good program. We think we can support them here. It would help young Seraei meet with humans of their age.”

“I’d love to. She should call me when they decide on a regular date. Maybe I can also give free piano lessons at the center later.” Noël turned to Simon. “This could be the chance for children like Neil. You remember Mike’s son? He’s so talented, but his parents can’t afford piano lessons.”

“I’m sure Annie will be very happy to hear this. She also told me we already acquired some instruments, if you maybe, uh... want to try the piano out.”

“Thanks, but that’s not necessary. I can use the piano at school.”

“Good, that’s settled then. If you’ll excuse me, I, um, have to go to the bathroom.” Already at the door, Cieran said, “You need not to wait for me, my Lord. I can take an uber.”

Diarmad shrugged. “It’s no problem. I’ll wait for you. We came in the same car; Ronan can drive you home easily.”

A discreet ding sounded and after glancing at his phone, Noël quickly got up from his chair. “I have to call Kris; he just sent me a text.” He walked out, leaving Simon and Diarmad alone in the room.

The King folded his hands on the table in front of him, his eyes fixed on a smudge on the white tablecloth. “So, I gather you and Landyn won’t come with us to the summer house this year.”

“As the head of security isn’t required to be with you during your summer vacation, no, we won’t. Landyn thinks his people are good without him, and Ronan can handle them just as well. He likes being the boss once in a while.”

“Of course Landyn deserves his vacation and being away from the job for a while, just like everyone else.” Diarmad agreed.

“A few weeks with family and friends can do wonders for a man.”

“Friends.”

“Yeah, friends. It’s funny how you think you lived long enough to finally know people, and then something happens, and you learn you didn’t know them at all and that they weren’t worth being called friends in the first place. Same goes for family.”

“I see.”

“My Lord, if that’ll be all, we have to leave. Noël has to be back at school at four.”

“Dismissed.”

Thank you to Val for beta reading and Lisa, who is so extremely busy and still found the time to edit. *hug*
I will try to post semi regularly from now on.
Comments here or at the story thread are always welcome and very much appreciated.
Copyright © 2017 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 47
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I am soooo glad that you have continued this story and not let it go to mothballs, still  no clear answers yet though. Hopefully the wait will not be so long for the next update on this. :P

  • Like 3
Link to comment
8 hours ago, JayT said:

The Return of Duchermad....gods he can get on your last nerve huh? I were Noel I would've said no to the returning to balance him out part....i want to Diarmad on his knees, weak, fragile, and begging for Noel to take him back

Noël is a nice guy; he won't let Diarmad hanging... I can totally see what you mean though...enticing image.

Thank you, JayT. Always love your Diar-rants. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
5 hours ago, Geemeedee said:

Glad to see you've decided to continue this story! I hope we find out soon why the  eff Diarmad had to do this.

Soon...chapter eight I guess. I will always finish my stories. It may take me a while when RL gets in the way and my writing time is limited, but I'll get there eventually.

Thank you for your comment, Geemeedee!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

Yay! And tasty !

Mission accomplished then. Thanks, tim. :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
49 minutes ago, dughlas said:

Glad you've continued. I missed this story.

I'm sorry it took me so long. But as long as I'm able I'll always finish my stories eventually.

Thank you for your comments, dughlas! :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
18 minutes ago, dan81 said:

I am soooo glad that you have continued this story and not let it go to mothballs, still  no clear answers yet though. Hopefully the wait will not be so long for the next update on this. :P

It made my day that so many readers come back to my story! Thank you! I'm aiming at every other week. Fingers crossed; my editor is super busy.

Thank you for your comment, dan! :)

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I have less respect for Noel for actually agreeing to this balance of power crap.  He doesn't want me as his mate, I'm not "mature" enough to be with him, than he can sink or swim on his own.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, spikey582 said:

I have less respect for Noel for actually agreeing to this balance of power crap.  He doesn't want me as his mate, I'm not "mature" enough to be with him, than he can sink or swim on his own.

Or maybe he is more mature than Diarmad?  But I can understand your view. Although I'm writing this I get so angry at D sometimes, I have to walk the dogs so  Noël won't behave out of character.

Thanks, spikey! :) 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I loved all the polite D slapping. :2thumbs:

I'm not taking your money, cause I'm not your whore like someone else we could name.

We're taking Kristof with us on holiday, and I was wearing his hoodie last time we met.

Noel, please come play the piano and give lessons (and btw we bought your piano from King iDiot)

I'm gonna run off to the bathroom cause I can't stand being in the same room as my King.

Oh, Kristof sent me a text, I'll just wander of without saying goodbye to my former mate.

You weren't worth being called friend in the first place, so I'm snubbing you at every opportunity.

Yeah, King D - how do you like your most trusted men taking your wronged mate's side, eh?

  • Like 4
Link to comment

He, he... Everyone teaming up against Diarmad. I still feel it's all a scam, necessary for keeping Noel safe. Then again, the king could be a douche. I guess I'll stand corrected then! 

 

Glad to see more of this!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
22 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I loved all the polite D slapping. :2thumbs:

I'm not taking your money, cause I'm not your whore like someone else we could name.

We're taking Kristof with us on holiday, and I was wearing his hoodie last time we met.

Noel, please come play the piano and give lessons (and btw we bought your piano from King iDiot)

I'm gonna run off to the bathroom cause I can't stand being in the same room as my King.

Oh, Kristof sent me a text, I'll just wander of without saying goodbye to my former mate.

You weren't worth being called friend in the first place, so I'm snubbing you at every opportunity.

Yeah, King D - how do you like your most trusted men taking your wronged mate's side, eh?

Wow, Timothy! You found them all! Perfect! Lol. Glad you agree with them/me. Thank you for the great comment!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Puppilull said:

He, he... Everyone teaming up against Diarmad. I still feel it's all a scam, necessary for keeping Noel safe. Then again, the king could be a douche. I guess I'll stand corrected then! 

 

Glad to see more of this!

One against the rest...must not necessarily been wrong, although...he is a douche, is he not? Glad you're glad. :) Thank you for the comment, Puppi!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
15 hours ago, Hudson Bartholomew said:

Yay! So excited for this to continue! Poor Noel... 

Finally, huh? I'm so happy people are still reading this! Thank you for not forgetting Caesura!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

OMG!! An update. I had to go back a chapter and then I remembered and I was like "oh, its the story about that idiot Diarmad" LOL :rolleyes:  I really want to think that D is being blackmailed or Noel's life is in danger or he's under a spell because his behavior just doesn't make sense. And his reasons sound like a BIG load of bull crap!-_-  And Timothy M nailed all the slights to the douche King. :funny:  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 1.6.2017 at 5:10 AM, LadyDe said:

OMG!! An update. I had to go back a chapter and then I remembered and I was like "oh, its the story about that idiot Diarmad" LOL :rolleyes:  I really want to think that D is being blackmailed or Noel's life is in danger or he's under a spell because his behavior just doesn't make sense. And his reasons sound like a BIG load of bull crap!-_-  And Timothy M nailed all the slights to the douche King. :funny:  

Yes, to all of it! lol I'm glad you're still on board! I try to update more frequently, next chapter is already with my editor. :)

Thank you for your comment, LadyDe! I love to read all those rants and doubts concerning King D. *rubs hands*

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I'm so glad you're back.. I missed this. 

 

Everyone is so frosty to Diarmad.. I like it. Even though I still think there are bigger things at play..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 5/30/2017 at 6:08 PM, aditus said:

Noël is a nice guy; he won't let Diarmad hanging... I can totally see what you mean though...enticing image.

Thank you, JayT. Always love your Diar-rants. :)

Oh man, yeeeeeaaaaaah !!!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..