Jump to content
    Aditus
  • Author
  • 506 Words
  • 6,701 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Caesura - Prologue. Prologue

Prologue

The black Mercedes looked alien in a place where usually only hikers parked their SUVs. It stood there for long minutes, until finally a liveried chauffeur got out. He walked around the limousine, opened the back door, and talked briefly to someone hidden behind the tinted glass. When he stepped back, he held a blue, lidded jar in his hands. Then a tall man emerged from the inside, supporting himself heavily on a sculptured cane. The wind blew strands of his longish, white hair into his face, and he pushed it back behind his ear impatiently. Then he took the blue jar from the driver and walked towards a path leading into the dense forest. A third man joined the driver and together they followed some distance behind.

Even as the path got steeper, the old man still walked a steady pace. Nobody talked; the constant crunching of gravel underneath their shoes and the occasional scraping of the cane were the only things that disrupted the silence.

Half an hour later they’d reached a small glade opening up to the breathtaking vista of a large river valley. The old man purposefully made his way over to an old wooden bench, meant for tired hikers to rest or a loving couple to enjoy the great view.

He set down the blue jar carefully, and then searched the back of the bench with his eyes, until he found what he was looking for: a heart carved into the weathered wood, enclosing two letters entwined with each other. He followed its faded lines with his index finger, lingering a little longer on the second letter, while the other two men pretended not to notice the tears running down his face.

Eventually a smile appeared on the old man’s face, and he rummaged around in his coat pocket until he held a bleached out little rainbow flag in his hand. He stepped up to the brink and let it flutter in the wind. “I thought we’d need something to determine the wind direction. He would have loved this.”

The driver snorted. “He sure would have.”

Finally, the old man turned around, picked up the jar, and placed it on the palm of his outstretched hand. The third man took a professional camera out of the bag he’d been carrying over his shoulder and took several pictures. When he nodded, the jar slowly started to levitate, floating in the direction of the open valley. With a flick of his wrist it stopped several yards ahead, the lid was lifted, and the jar tipped over to release a cloud of ash.

“Goodbye, my darling. Thank you for everything.” They stared at the hovering urn for several minutes, before the white-haired man hurled it away with a resolute motion, and the noise of shattering earthenware could be heard in the distance.

Without looking at his companions he asked, “Who said Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end’?

“Seneca. He also said ‘If you wished to be loved, love.’

Copyright © 2017 aditus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 48
  • Love 2
  • Sad 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh... Such content sadness. Goodbyes are seldom happy, but some can be borne easier than others.

 

Look forward to reading this!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Tears followed by a smile.
Self pity followed by the realisation that ashes are just physical remains ?
A tantalising beginning, Adi.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Um... Who are these people? Were they in the first and you've given hints from the first story that I just can't remember, or all these folks new characters? Anyway, somethings about to start. Who's ashes? I'm intrigued.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/04/2016 07:42 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Beautiful Adi .. just what I needed this morning.

Thank you, Tim! I'm glad I could be of service. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/04/2016 07:47 PM, dughlas said:

And so it begins ...

Looking forward to this next part of the story.

Hi dughlas! I'm happy to see you again. Yes! It begins. I'm so excited.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/04/2016 08:35 PM, Puppilull said:

Oh... Such content sadness. Goodbyes are seldom happy, but some can be borne easier than others.

 

Look forward to reading this!

Thank you, Puppi! It took me ridiculously long to write these few word, but seeing your comment, I did it as intended. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/04/2016 11:59 PM, LadyDe said:

I loved the last lines!! Very promising start.

:) Cool! The last lines are important...can't say more. Thank you for reading and commenting, LadyDe!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/05/2016 04:39 AM, J.HunterDunn said:

Tears followed by a smile.

Self pity followed by the realisation that ashes are just physical remains ?

A tantalising beginning, Adi.

I'm glad you think so, Peter. 'Tears followed by a smile' a door closes another opens... I hope I can wrestle down the beast I called.

Thank you for reading and commenting. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/05/2016 02:40 PM, spikey582 said:

Um... Who are these people? Were they in the first and you've given hints from the first story that I just can't remember, or all these folks new characters? Anyway, somethings about to start. Who's ashes? I'm intrigued.

Yes! You are asking the right questions! Something to have in the back of your mind while reading the story.

Thank you for telling me your first impressions, spikey582! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/07/2016 02:29 AM, Cole Matthews said:

Ashes to ashes and from whence springs a new bud. I love the beginning image.

You might think I have an affinity to urns and ashes, huh? Anyway, thinking like a true gardener, that all I'm saying.

Thank you, Cole! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/07/2016 05:59 AM, Defiance19 said:

I loved how easily I could see this scene..

Eagerly awaiting...

Perfect! I had the whole scene playing in my head again and again, still it took me so long until it felt right. I'm glad you could see it. :)

Thank you, Def! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Not really fair u know it's been over a year are u going to finish this story I want to know if they get back together ur killing me here:unsure:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 22.5.2017 at 9:08 PM, Sussins said:

Not really fair u know it's been over a year are u going to finish this story I want to know if they get back together ur killing me here:unsure:

I always finish my stories...but apologize for the long gap. Next chapter is up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..