Jump to content
    Allerron
  • Author
  • 4,815 Words
  • 1,990 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Culture Shock - 8. Concordance

Robbie finds himself in a position he never thought he would be in as a Marine.

All plot devices and such stuff are all mine. Mine I say, MINE! Any similarity to anything else would shock the hell out of me and probably scare me a bit too. :-)

Robbie was called to the bridge of the shuttle. The last thing that they expected was to see a contingent of 18 natives approaching the shuttle. Based on the lack of visible technology the anthropologists figured that the natives would be cowering under their beds. Instead two well-dressed people were leading a group of others that were pulling what appeared to be large wooden carts on rollers.

Robbie shook his head as he tried to not drop the helmet of his suit. “I have no idea what to think about this, but at this point we don't know what they intend so I will be the first one to leave the ship. My Marines will watch from inside the hatch, weapons drawn. I will neither carry arms nor walk quickly enough to cause unease.”

Dr Andrea Marshall, anthropologist and the person in charge of the landing expedition refused to show her relief. She was not prepared for a face-to-face confrontation with the natives as they left the shuttle. Humans were supposed to be the ones to approach the new race.

Robbie sealed his suit up as he made his way to the side hatch of the shuttle. On the way he flipped on the radio in his suit and issued the commands to his Marines. They would be watching every movement from the shadows inside the shuttle.

The natives stopped about 10 meters away from the side of the ship, opposite the side hatch. This caused much concern and consternation among the entire Terran contingent both on the shuttle and back on the Argos. Robbie gave a hand signal to open the hatch after he was assured that the inner hatches to the rest of the shuttle were sealed and secured. He waited a fraction of a second before walking out onto the ramp and down on to the planet itself.

Twenty four meters, Robbie thought to himself as he measured the distance between the shuttle and the mass of people standing patiently in the shade of the trees surrounding the field that the shuttle landed on. He observed that the trees were somewhat familiar in shape, with a thick trunk supporting the mass of the foliage. The green was a slightly duller shade than he was used to but it was still comforting to know that the planet had green trees.

- - -

Dancer Bah't and Elder Ho-mah-sed stood side by side as they walked across the field. Bah't signalled to his crew to fall in behind them, just in case the strangers in the new craft needed help unloading. Based on the size of the ship, everyone figured that they came laden with goods for trade.

Bah't softly said to the Elder walking beside him 'I think I can make out the side access door to the craft, perhaps we should aim for that?'

'I think you're right Dancer. I will accede to your experience with Dancers in this matter. It's obvious to everyone here that this craft belongs to a Dancer of great skill.' He ducked his head as he realized that he had obliquely insulted the proud man at his side.

Bah't smiled at the Elder before setting him at ease 'Elder, I take no offence at your comments. I am one of the greatest Dancers alive today and I have no doubt that the Master of this craft will surpass me greatly.' It almost hurt him to admit that, but even with all of his faults he was a realist.

Patiently they waited for the hatch to open and they leaned forward in an attempt to see in. Both men rocked back on their heels when Robbie appeared and came down the ramp in his environmental suit.

Robbie looked at the two natives standing in front of him and spoke into the built-in microphone of his suit without moving his mouth much at all. “Apparently they are unarmed. The one on the right seems to be older, he/it? has more wrinkles on his/its face. Both seem to be about my height, wearing robes of fairly fine fabric. The one on the left seems to be dressed fancier. They are talking amongst themselves but too low for the external pick-up to get anything. Some decision was made and they are looking at me now, almost like the expect me to make the first move.”

Back on the Argos, every monitor was tied in to the feed from Robbie's suit. Anthropologists were arguing at the best overture to make to initiate contact. Geologists and meteorologists were talking notes from the readings being sent back, determining that while the atmosphere would be breathable the Terrans would require oxygen until they acclimated to the lower atmospheric pressure and lower oxygen contact.

Before any consensus could be reached, the natives took the initiative and the more elegantly dressed native stepped forward. There was a tense moment while the native raised his arms and began an undulating glide as he got closer to Robbie.

It was through a monumental force of will that Robbie kept himself still and showed no reaction. He was totally unprepared for the gyrations of the native, looking like a stripper in any adult entertainment bar. The native whirled and twisted with such grace that Robbie was actually impressed. In his ear-piece Robbie could hear the argument going on back on the Argos. The side that seemed to be winning was the one that wanted Robbie to try and copy the motions.

Instead of trying to copy the motions, Robbie took the initiative and started going through t'ai chi motions. The older native watched with wide eyes and nodded his head in apparent approval.

Ho-mah-sed watched the strange being as he began to move gracefully in spite of the bulky suit he was wearing. Although the movements made no sense to him, he was reassured that the strangers might not be all that strange after all.

After fifteen minutes, Bah't finished his Dance. He was a bit distracted trying to watch the stranger's Dance without interfering with his own. He was glad when the stranger in the bulky suit continued his motions for a few minutes after he was done so that he could pay full attention to the moves.

Bah't looked at the Elder beside him and smiled, feeling the same relief. He turned back to the stranger and smiled even more broadly, nodding his head.

Robbie took the smile to be a good sign and without waiting for confirmation he started to release the seals on his helmet. As he popped the last seal and prepared to remove the helmet he heard yelling through his ear piece. While smiling he muttered “I think it would be insulting after we've both performed for each other if I leave the helmet on now. Besides, while these guys are my height I outweigh them by a LOT. They look like they'd be hardly half my weight.”

As Robbie lifted his hands up to remove the helmet the two men across from him were assaulted with the pungent odour of sweat and tension that the Seer had warned them about. Even with that warning they took an involuntary step away from the smell. Hastily both men pasted the smiles back on their faces and hoped for a breeze to blow the stink away.

Robbie almost missed the step backwards as he blinked while the bottom edge of the helmet cleared his eye level. He noticed the quick way the smiles reappeared and was comforted. He took the initiative this time and held out one hand palm up and open and said “I am Lieutenant Robert Blake and I am pleased to meet you.”

Bah't and the Elder looked at one another in confusion. They saw the mouth move and the garbles come out but nothing made sense. The Elder shook his head, trying to make sense of the odd sounds.

Robbie realized that they wouldn't be likely to speak Standard English and smiled ruefully. He pressed his hand to his chest and repeated his name “Robbie.” He then motioned to the two men.

Bah't looked at Ho-mah-sed and between the two of them they were lost. They had a quick conversation between themselves trying to figure out with the stranger was trying to convey. Finally the Elder realized what he was trying to do. 'Perhaps that is his name?” he said to the Dancer.

Bah't grinned as he looked Robbie in the eyes. He pressed his hand flat against his chest and said “Bah't.” He repeated his name several times, giving the stranger a chance to form the syllables.

Robbie watched the two men talking and waited patiently. He saw the spark of realization in the older man's face and turned his attention to the younger of the two and he was addressed. Robbie saw the man make eye contact with him and was disturbed for a few seconds. He was glad that the word was repeated several times because the intensity of the gaze took him completely by surprise. The eyes seemed to glimmer and pierce right through to his brain. His heart skipped a beat and he fought to regain control. Finally he managed to stammer out something that he thought sounded similar to the word the other man was saying.

Bah't was surprised at the response he received. He merely smiled at the stranger and focused his attention on him as politely as he could while repeating his name. When he heard the first attempt he smiled again, it was close enough.

Robbie saw the smile and was again thrown off balance. Something about that smile just disturbed him. He watched as the two men called to the people arranged behind them. The carts were brought up to the edge of the shuttle and the people that brought them stood patiently beside them. A few of the people pushing the carts even sat down on the edge of their cart, realizing that a wait was more than likely.

Robbie watched the others pull the sleds up to the edge of the ramp and wondered why they appeared so accustomed to this. He turned back to face the open hatch and made a few hand signals. The Marines waiting inside of the ship lowered their weapons, slid safeties on and opened the inner doors to allow the scientists to start leaving the ship.

Robbie turned to look back at the two men in front of him and for a moment couldn't believe that the motions they were making actually meant that they wanted him to follow. He stripped off his gloves and set them down with his helmet beside the ramp. He cautiously followed the two into the shade of the trees. As he approached the group he couldn't help but notice that there seemed to be a segregation based on age. Perhaps the revere their elders Robbie thought to himself.

The Eldest took a deep breath of clean air and hobbled her way to stand in front of the smelly stranger. She smiled as warmly as she could and repeated the motions that Bah't figured would identify her to the stranger. Robbie caught on fairly quickly and tried to repeat the tongue twister he heard.

Robbie's ear piece was active with suggestions and advice from the anthropologists. Dr Andrea Marshall's voice gave the best advice in Robbie's mind. “Don't be lulled into thinking that these people are humans. We have no idea how they think at all. Just because they look kinda human does not make them humans! Try not to do anything to piss them off.”

Robbie realized that the person in front of him was probably the one in charge of the village. He smiled at her, hoping to score some points for politeness. He watched the next event with interest. The older woman in front if him said something and the response seemed to indicate shock.

As the pungent stranger bowed to her, the Eldest muttered 'Oh I hope that they can be washed up and then smell better. This is getting to be too much for me to handle.' Several people around the Eldest expressed shock and some even dared to express their shock vocally.

Robbie watched the interchange with a smile on his face. How he would love to understand what was being said. The old woman in front of him reminded him of someone, he just couldn't place who right now.

In exasperation the Eldest turned and started issuing orders as she left. 'Ok idiots, make sure that the Seer is not left in the dirt. Make sure to bring the smelly thing to me after you've had a chance to bathe it. I cannot believe how strong he smells and if I don't leave right now I'll throw up all over him. On second thought, that might improve the smell. Can't make it worse anyway.'

Ot-val'o'o took a deep breath and presented himself to the strange Dancer. He fully expected being assigned to teach him things like their language. He motioned to the stranger to follow and made his way through the village to the spot in the small river that was widened out for bathing purposes.

Robbie glanced over his shoulder at the others just now starting to leave the shuttle. He murmured into the microphone “What do I do? I think that they want me to follow them.” A crackle in his ear gave him the worst advice he'd ever had.

“Just go along with it, and don't piss them off. Do what seems to be expected. When in Rome and all that shit.”

Robbie groaned over that piece of advice, giving Ot-val'o'o a fright. Oh please, let this be a Dancer and not a Seer he thought to himself. Robbie smiled at Ot-val'o'o and didn't show any signs of being overtaken by visions so perhaps it was just another one of those garbles the stranger made all the time.

Robbie observed as much as he could of the village as he was guided through it. He murmured his observations as he went, hoping that the signal would reach back to the shuttle and the people that could make the best use of it.

“A 3 meter wide pathway down what appears to be the main road through the village. Packed dirt, no sign of concrete or other paving materials. Edge building seems to be about 4 meters high, and about 10 meters square. The buildings aren't really square, more sorta lumpish than truly square. Roofs seem to be a thatch covering and the walls seem to be adobe of some sort, perhaps field stone plastered over with mud?

“Doors seem to be made of wood, no metal really in evidence. People are watching me as I am being led through the village, but with curiosity instead of fear.

“There doesn't seem to be any sign of any vehicles larger than sleds like the ones out by the shuttle, nor does there seem to be any beast-of-burden type animals. There are plants around the buildings, perhaps some sort of garden?

“Animals are flitting through the trees, but nothing larger than a mouse. No bird calls or anything like that. Nothing seems to be moving underfoot, although the hard-packed dirt could account for that.

“I am passing off-branching paths about every 30 meters, apparently to more buildings. Homes perhaps? Up ahead I think I can hear running water. Off to the left there is a large clearing with what looks for all the world to be an amphitheatre like the Romans used to build. Looks large enough to accommodate the entire village and then some.

“My guide is walking straight toward the running water sound. So far we've passed approximately ten buildings on the left and about the same amount of the right. That's only the ones on this direct path though. I'd guess that they would be personal dwelling places.

“We're coming up to the water sounds now. I see a small river or creek up ahead. It almost looks like part was artificially widen into a large, deep pool. My guide is stopping beside a series of benches in the clearing beside the creek. He's undoing some kind of catch or clip in the clothing at his shoulders. He is stepping out of the garments now as they fall down around his feet.

“Yup, he seems to be human, all the right bits hanging down and all. Reproductive system, if that's what it is, seems similar to human physiology. The skin seems to be a uniform beige colour, with no evidence of tanning. Musculature seems a bit odd, but the joints of his arms and legs seem to have the same range of motion that humans have. The best way I could describe the body would be “wiry” almost like a spring coil ready to snap. I'd bet that they could lift a helluva lot more than a human when you consider mass-to-mass ratios.

“Ok, he's motioning me to follow him. I think that he wants me to join him in the water. He picked up a small earthenware pot of something off of a small shelf behind the benches. He's scooping out a handful of some paste-like substance and he's rubbing it over himself. It's lathering up, must be soap of some sort. He keeps motioning me to join him. I'm guessing that this must be the communal bathing spot.

“Ok, well I'm not a prude or overly modest thanks to the Marine Corps. I'll just shuck my suit and clothes and join him. It looks cold in the water but after being stuck that long on the ship without a proper bath or shower, I'm willing to follow his actions.

“I'm laying my suit and clothes across a bench like I saw my guide do. I am taking one of the jars and it smells vaguely like lemons. It's think and goopy, with what looks like bits of shredded plant-stuff in it. I'd guess that would be an aromatic herb of some sort.

“Ok, the fucking water IS colder than I thought. OOOOH damn! Ok, now I'm starting to get used to it. I'm sure that my nuts won't reappear for a good month after this. I'll quickly lather and get the hell out of this ice bath.

“My guide didn't wash his hair, but I'm hoping that this stiff won't dissolve mine. It feels GREAT to be clean finally. Free of that metallic pong that you cannot avoid while being on a ship going anywhere.

“I watch my guide as he leaves the pool. He just walks right up to the benches and shakes a bit of the water off of himself. He puts the jar of soap back on a shelf and reached behind to retrieve a piece of fabric, a towel I guess?

“Yup, he's using the fabric to dry himself off. Time for me to get out I guess. As I leave the pool I notice that my suit and clothes are gone. Deep breath Robbie, remember what the scientists said. For a second I'm afraid that this was an ambush until I notice a smaller person bringing me a bundle of fabric. Hopefully it's clothing.

“After putting the soap jar back on the shelf I reach behind like my guide did and grab a towel. It's not looped terry, it's flat and smooth and fairly shiny. It feels really nice as I dry off with it, almost like drying myself with silk. It's highly absorptive though, like a chamois really. It even swells a bit as it soaks up the water.

“I watch my guide as he gets dressed. It looks like a one-piece jumper with pieces to hang down in front and in back almost like an attached shirt. It seems to be made of a similar fibre as the towels. If nothing else, the natives could get rich trading this fabric around Terran space!”

Ot-val'o'o watched the stranger, noticing that his fingers were incredibly short and stubby. He also noted that the body seemed to be male, with a LOT of hair all over, especially on its chest, arms and legs. He noticed the change of colour on the stranger's skin an wondered if it had an ritualistic meaning. He was starting to worry about the continual sounds this one was making. He tried to get a closer look at the stranger without appearing too obvious so it took him a while to notice the shiny thing sticking out of the stranger's right ear. Fearing that it might be a personal matter, Ot-val'o'o studiously ignored it to avoid offending the stranger.

Robbie was trying to get into the clothing provided and after a few seconds of struggling he managed to squeeze his larger frame into the clothing designed for the willowy natives. There didn't seem to be any under garments but that didn't bother Robbie too much. At least now he was outfitted as local and he was a bit cleaner. He chuckled as he realized that he probably smelled a whole lot better too.

Now Robbie began to worry. Why was he the one making the contacts in the village? Sure, it was discussed that anyone who ends up in the village is to keep up a running commentary of everything they see but where was everyone else? Maybe someone else followed me from the ship and another native has them in tow.

Ot-val'o'o casually sniffed in the direction of the stranger and was relieved when he realized that the smell was almost gone. A slight muskiness remained, but it was not offensive. With some more gestures to the stranger, Ot-val'o'o turned and walked through the village toward the Eldest's home. He noticed that the stranger made more of those small sounds as he walked.

Robbie was busy looking around and quietly speaking into this microphone and therefore almost ran into his guide. Robbie was starting to worry, he didn't see anyone else from the Argos anywhere. He was beginning to feel naked without his familiar military fatigues and his side arm.

Together Ot-val'o'o and Robbie faced the door to the Eldest's home. Without hesitating Ot-val'oo reached forward and opened the door. He hesitated for a second before announcing 'Eldest, I bring the stranger. He is freshly bathed and smells much better!'

The Eldest was just outside her back door, admiring her gardens. “I'm out back, please come through,” she called out.

Robbie's eyes swivelled and his head snapped around trying to take in all of the sights. He might be the first human in one of the buildings but he somehow knew that it would be highly impolite to carry on a running description for those back on the Argos.

'Eldest, I have shown the stranger where our bathing spot is and he did not hesitate to make use of our facilities. He did keep a shiny thing in his right ear, I do not know its purpose so I have carefully ignored it. He has carried on his mumbles and grumbles until we entered your home. He has been silent since.'

The Eldest nodded her head approvingly. 'Perhaps we are more similar than we had hoped. Between the Dance and his polite deference we may have no difficulties at all.' She smiled in relief and gestured for the stocky alien to be seated beside her, a place a great honour.

Robbie observed the quick discussion without appearing to pay any attention to it. He caught the motions of the old lady and gambled that she meant for him to take the seat beside her. He looked around and realized that he was sitting in the midst of a carefully tended garden. The colours were balanced throughout and the gentle breeze carried the floral perfumes to his nose. Robbie took a deep breath and let it out with a sigh. He smiled deeply at the Eldest and gestured to the garden around them. He nodded his head, continued to smile and said slowly and clearly “Good.”

The Eldest turned to Ot-val'o'o and asked 'Should we be learning his language or should we make them learn ours?'

Ot-val'o'o knew that this question was coming. He had been paying attention to the speech patterns and had already made up his mind. 'Eldest, I believe that our language might be too complex for them to learn, we have many more sounds than they apparently do. I am prepared to learn their language so that we may learn more about each other.'

Robbie tried to casually ignore the new discussion between the two natives but he finally gave up the pretence and watched them carefully. The natives noticed this and smiled at him. 'Eldest, I think that I could learn enough of their language to act as a translator between our two peoples.'

With relief the Eldest said 'Ot-val'o'o, my darling son. I am so relieved that you have volunteered for this undertaking. I am sure that you will be fully occupied with this so I would suggest that you try and pass off your other Training responsibilities. Any assistance that you may need will be provided immediately. Do you plan on having the stranger, Robbie is it? Do you plan on following him back to his craft or would you rather have him stay with you?'

The Trainer pondered the question for a few minutes before carefully replying. 'I think that it would be better if I attempted this learning away from as many distractions as possible. I am afraid that I would be far too distracted in his craft.'

'Very well my son, I will make sure that you are excused from ALL village duties. I will also make sure that you have extra furnishings to accommodate this man. Food will also be prepared for the two of you and will be delivered at the time of your choosing.'

Ot-val'o'o smiled in relief at the Eldest's assurances. “Eldest, I am truly grateful.'

A cackle escaped form the Eldest's mouth. 'My son, I think that you will prefer to be mucking out the sanitary facilities before too long.'

Robbie was trying to make sense of the fluid sounds coming out of the mouths of the natives. He hoped that the microphone was picking up the melodious speaking he was listening to. There was no way in hell that Robbie would be able to make sense of anything coming out of their mouths.

The Eldest turned to Robbie and began gesturing. Robbie was always horrible at charades but this time he paid attention with his entire being. Within a few repetitions Robbie realized that he was being asked to remain in the village, perhaps with the man that took him to the bathing area. Another repetition made it clear that the request to remain was more along the lines of an order.

Oh shit! Why me? Now what the hell am I supposed to do? Robbie thought to himself. To allow the people back on Argos to be a part of the meeting he started speaking out loud. “You would like me to stay here in this village with this man?” he said as he copied the gestures that the old woman made. For a change there was a complete silence in his ear. The silence didn't last long however. A blast of noise almost made Robbie pull the ear-plug out and throw it away.

Finally a voice broke through the others. “Lieutenant, you are to consider yourself stationed on that planet and you are to work to work your hardest at being a liaison between our two peoples is that clear?” Robbie was not sure who the voice belonged to but he was actually looking forward to doing something other than polishing his sidearm.

“I hear you loud and clear. I will remain here and try to report back each evening when they all bed down for the night.” Robbie hesitated for a second before he started the charades that he hoped would tell the two natives that he would be happy to stay with them.

'Ot-val'o'o, please take this man back to your home and begin learning what their garbles mean,' the Eldest said with a smile.

Robbie sensed that the meeting was over before they could start gesturing anything. As a Marine, Robbie was well aware of a dismissal when he heard one. He smiled when they turned toward him as he stood up. 'Do you think that he can understand what we're saying Eldest?' Ot-val'o'o asked.

'I don't think so my son, I think he just was able to sense from our tone that we were finished here. Go, take him home with you and get to learning. I expect a report daily, just before evening meal.'

Things will start to get interesting in the next chapter. Robbie will start trying to teach English to the Hester-b natives while he finds that their culture is both startlingly similar and hauntingly different. Things are going to start getting even more muddled up and poor Robbie will have to fight to keep things clear in his mind....
Copyright © 2011 Allerron; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..