Jump to content
    Altimexis
  • Author
  • 3,704 Words
  • 2,497 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Fall - Anniversary Entry

Naptown 13 - July Fireworks - 1. David and Jeremy

July Fireworks

A Naptown Tale by Altimexis and David of Hope

David and Jeremy

I started with a call to Paul Levine, the former president of the GSA. Paul explained that there wasn’t a real membership list or a pledge to a club, but rather just a gathering of people that enjoyed a common bond. When I rattled off the people that I was primarily concerned about and the reason for the interviews, he said he could add a few more to the list that may contribute to the article. I explained that for the most part I’d like to do individual or paired couples in private, rather than the group interview that we did the last time.

He agreed in that there were still a few of them that were in the closet, primarily because of their families, and that they probably would consider doing an interview, but wouldn’t be able to get consent forms, so their identities would have to remain completely anonymous.

I agreed and he said that he’d get back to me in 24 hours with a list. As it turned out, when Paul called me back, he had a somewhat convoluted list of people who, thanks to summer jobs and the like, would only be available at certain times and places. So I made up a schedule of who, when, and where, and then confirmed it with each of the couples I’d be talking to.

First on the list were David Reynolds and Jeremy Kimball - probably the most ‘out’ couple in the high school. I was meeting them at Jeremy’s house in Lake Shore’s, a very exclusive development that screamed of money. Their house was on a bend in the river that gave them complete privacy, yet they were within easy walking distance of all the shops in Broad Ripple. Their house backed up onto Dawson Lake, and if they had a boathouse, as I suspected they did, the boys could spend their summer filled with all sorts of activities.

My suspicions that they also had a swimming pool were confirmed when Jeremy answered the door wearing only a Speedo and a towel draped around his neck. His boyfriend was right behind him and similarly attired.

“I’m sorry to greet you like this, Mr. Warren,” Jeremy said as he shook my hand with an embarrassed smile, “but David and I completely lost track of the time and we’d planned to be showered and dressed long before you got here, but next thing we knew, the doorbell rang.”

“That’s OK, boys,” I said, putting them at ease. “It’s the summer and you’re supposed to be having a good time and not paying attention to the clock. And please call me Harold.”

“Would you like something to drink?” Jeremy asked. “I’ve got Coke, 7-Up, several kinds of Fanta, fresh brewed ice tea, or I can make you any kind of coffee or espresso drink you’d get at Starbucks with our espresso machine. If you haven’t noticed,” Jeremy said with a chuckle, “my parents are loaded and we lack for nothing, so your wish is my command.”

“Ice tea will be fine,” I said, “but don’t go to any bother.”

“It’s no bother at all,” Jeremy answered as he led the way to their enormous kitchen and poured three glasses of tea from the refrigerator over ice.

“Since you’re already in swimsuits, why don’t we conduct the interview out by the swimming pool?” I suggested.

“Works for me,” David answered as the three of us headed from the kitchen, through an enormous great room down a cascading set of stairs to a game room and through a set of glass doors out onto a terrace. The swimming pool was fully enclosed by a room with movable glass walls and a retractable glass roof, all of which were open for the summer.

“I can’t believe this,” I said aloud as I marveled at the wealth Jeremy’s parents had.

“It’s pretty cool,” Jeremy admitted. “At times, it’s embarrassing, but I’m glad we have the enclosed and heated pool. All those years of practice are what made it possible for me to win the state championship,” he admitted.

“Jeremy’s parents may be rich,” David chimed in, “but Jeremy’s not like that. He’s the sweetest, most unassuming guy you’ll ever meet.”

“That’s because my parent’s didn’t always have money. When I was little, my dad was struggling to get his business off the ground, and my mom was still paying off her medical school debt. We lived in a townhouse over on Harcourt Road, within walking distance of my elementary school. I’ve never forgotten those days, and never let my parents’ newfound wealth go to my head. Truth be told, I liked living there a lot better than I like living here.”

“Yeah, but I could never ride my bike over to see you if you lived over there . . . it’s just too far,” David reminded his boyfriend.

“I guess I’ll just have to settle for living in this mansion,” Jeremy sighed as the two of them briefly kissed. It was so cute watching the two of them interact!

We sat down together at a table in the shade, which I appreciated since I wasn’t wearing any sunscreen and they apparently were.

“Before we begin, I’ll need to get signed releases from at least one of each of your parents before I can identify you by name or use any quotations in the article I’m writing, but you guys know the drill by now. Jeremy, are your folks home?”

They weren’t home, apparently they seldom were because of their professions, but Jeremy said they would sign and fax the consent form if I’d leave a copy, which I did. With the preliminaries out of the way, we got comfortable and I began my inquiries. They agreed that the use of a recorder was a good idea.

“First off, I realize from the list of names that Paul Levine gave me, that some of the interviews I’m going to be having will have to be on a confidential one-to-one basis, but with both of you, I doubt that’s going to be necessary. As Paul may have explained, this is a six-month anniversary article we wish to run, to see where the folks are that were involved in that first New Years interview.”

Jeremy chuckled, “It’s quite an anniversary for us too. Surprisingly, David and I have been together almost a year. You remember what day it was Babe?”

“Don’t have to think about that one . . . it was July 28.” David smiled and grabbed Jeremy’s hand.

I was fascinated by their affection and confident devotion. I said with a smile, “Tell me, what’s happened within your relationship since New Years.”

“For me . . .” Jeremy said seriously, “in a word . . . I’ve learned to trust David’s intuition, and to trust my own instincts. Every time I do, I realize any challenge David puts before me, like the last class election thing we were involved with, that it’s his trust in my abilities that makes me move forward in a direction that I would never have by myself. Then when David jumps into a fray of a controversy and wins his point, he becomes an even bigger hero to me. Sure we had that fight on our hands six months ago with the Reverend DeWitt’s homophobic ways, and thanks to you, Harold, and the Star, I think these types of challenges have made our relationship stronger. We’ve grown together as a couple as we’ve faced our challenges as a couple.”

“. . . and you David?” I asked.

“Well separating the bedroom and passion from our relationship, I agree with Jer . . . we do understand and trust each other with the new challenges we accept, however small. Put all those things together and I guess we’re devoted to one another, but I think we’re also devoted to something else. . . . Maybe you would call it a devotion to our fellow students . . . gay rights and all, if that makes any sense. I don’t think a person can survive in this world without that devotion . . . caring for each other might be a better word. We seem to gravitate to people that think like we do . . . that is, we have different sports abilities, but we still attend each other’s games and meets with as much interest as if it were our own. That kind of attitude enforces our devotion and love for one another.”

I noticed a glance from Jeremy to David - he had a smile that lit up his face. “So there we have a small diversity in our relationship, but we willingly accept them . . . just as we do in others. I think acceptance of diversity is the crux of any relationship or in another case, the students at school that are collectively known as the GSA. I think when you put all that together, Jeremy and I are closer and more in love than we were six months ago, although I didn’t think it was possible back then.”

I had to smile - instinctively, I knew this interview was going to be great. “This may be a bit of a tough one. . . . What advice would you give to gays that are still in the closet?”

“First, I’d have to say be confident that there are people out there, even here in the Midwest, that will be understanding and caring,” David began. “Some kids and even some adults seem to be afraid of the shame they may bring on their families. Maybe they don’t want to risk that family relationship and I think that’s a pity with the way things are going in the world today. For example, when Reverend DeWitt tried to hide the shame of Kurt’s homosexuality, it backfired on him. . . . The Reverend turned out to be the one who ran away in shame. I understand that it was Kurt’s mother who was supportive, which brings me to the point . . . that your family loves you and a gay person has to give them more credit, in that they will continue to love and understand that this was the way you were created. I know that for Jeremy and me, that’s the way it was. They didn’t quit loving us because we realized we were gay. . . . If anything, they love us more.

“My advice . . . think it through and consider the best way to tell people you’re gay. I bet those that aren’t accepting of the truth, will go the way of Reverend DeWitt and well . . . maybe they weren’t your friends anyway. The bottom line is that if you’re confident of who you are, and you’re doing the best you can with your life, people will treat you with respect, regardless of whether you’re gay or straight.”

“I couldn’t have put it better myself,” Jeremy added.

“Boys, if you had it to do all over again, what would you change, if anything, about when you declared to the world that you were gay?”

“Once I knew for sure,” Jeremy said, “I shouldn’t have hesitated to tell my parents. I think it would have given me more confidence. Best advice . . . when you know for sure in your heart, let it happen, let the cards fall where they may and deal with it. . . . At least you’ll feel better about yourself, even if you lose a few so called friends.”

“I take it that you don’t have any brothers or sisters,” I asked Jeremy.

“Actually I do have a brother and sister,” he replied. “They’re ten and twelve years older than me and live in other parts of the country. They were here at Christmas. We’ve never been that close like I am to Mom and Dad, but they were OK with the idea of me being gay. I have no idea what they had to say to Mom and Dad, but I’m sure they were straightened out pretty quick if they had anything negative to say about it.”

“David . . . any brothers or sisters?” I asked.

“Yes, I have an twelve-year-old brother, Brad. Sometimes I could just throttle him. . . .” David started laughing and then Jeremy joined in. “Sorry for laughing, but it was because of him that I, actually both of us, came out to my parents a year ago. . . . Our first night at my home when we were having supper. Looking back, I think my parents already suspected, but Brad being the precocious kid that he is, came right out and asked us if we were boyfriends. We were totally embarrassed, but that was it. We were outed by my little brother. My parents were real cool about it. I agree with Jeremy though, I’d known I was gay for a few years and I should have told them when I was sure, instead of waiting for Brad to do it.”

I had to laugh imagining the circumstance. Once I calmed down, I had to get on with the questions. “This is another one of those tough questions.... Jeremy, what kind of a person would you like to have as a life mate if David wasn’t in your life?”

“Oh God Harold!” he said, “Don’t even go there! How could I possibly be a better person than I am right now if it wasn’t for David. If I hadn’t met him and gained the experiences I have, I’d be a mediocre slob, probably bouncing from one relationship to another. For me . . . right now . . . it will always be only David. Sorry, but end of subject.”

“WOW!” David exclaimed. “Baby, you’re the greatest! Harold, I’d sooner live the life of a lonely hermit than try to have a relationship with anyone else. I don’t know what I’d do if Jeremy wasn’t in my life . . . or if something was to happen to him. Next question please.”

I smiled. “Guys, don’t get mad at me. I knew that would be a tough question, and honestly, it’s not one I could answer myself if it were put to my wife and me, but your answer portrays a unity and maturity seldom expected in a young couple. Let’s face it, high school relationships seldom last and I kind of have to start from that perspective. I have a strong feeling yours will, but keeping your relationship intact through the college years can be tough. Fellas, what are your future plans as a couple aside from the development of your chosen vocation?”

David smiled that winning smile again. “Well, I’m not sure. I’d like for both of us to attend the same university so we can live together. I know that geography makes a big difference in a relationship. I know the closer you are to the love of your life, the deeper your relationship will be. . . .”

“Marriage would be nice,” Jeremy said in a pensive voice looking at the floor.

“Marriage!” David exclaimed quietly. “Me?” He reached over and tilted Jeremy’s chin up and towards him. I knew I was witnessing a very intimate moment, so I kept very still and very quiet, but I couldn’t stop the grin on my face.

“Of course, you . . . there’s no one else I’d ever ask.” Jeremy smiled. “Sometimes you say the stupidest things.”

Before the moment got out of hand, I had to gain control again. I cleared my throat. “Gentlemen, I’m happy I witnessed this moment and I’m happy that you’re so honest with each other, but for practical purposes, gay marriage is more or less restricted to Massachusetts and parts of Canada at the present time, and hopefully soon, California.”

“That’s OK,” David said, “the answer is yes!” as he launched himself into his boyfriend’s arms and the two embraced and kissed each other passionately. Clearing my throat, they remembered that I was there and they separated, but still held each others’ gaze as they held hands and smiled at each other. “Next question,” David said still staring into Jeremy’s eyes.

“A bit of a serious question . . .” I began. “When should children be educated about predators?”

The smiles left their faces and they turned and both looked seriously directly into my eyes. It seemed I’d hit a nerve.

“Oh Harold,” David said dejectedly. “What a shit loaded question. Fucking predators! Talk about needin’ a psychiatrist. . . . These kinds of people are the lowest scum. Any adult or even a teenager who would think of having sex with a pre-teen boy or girl. . . . The whole thought of disrupting a child’s ability to be a kid is abhorrent. . . . The whole thing is disgusting. I know my young brother is starting puberty, but if anything like that happened to him, I’d want to kill the bastard.”

“I think it’s more than that,” Jeremy said equally dejected. “I heard that with most of these predators, they themselves have been sexually abused and their minds somehow got twisted into thinking it was normal. It happens and it’s despicable and every time I think of it, I’d like to do something about it. Maybe one day, I’ll be able to. I can say thanks to the media of today though. . . . You guys are educating the public about these things. Who would have thought that a female teacher would be a predator? Incest. . . . I agree that the whole thing’s disgusting. To me, the responsibility belongs to the parents and older brothers and sisters to educate and protect young pre-teen members of the family, but what about when it happens within the family?”

“I agree. . . .” David added, “One night Mom and Dad brought it up after dinner . . . ya know without any sexual descriptions, and the next night we were watching the news and there was a report about a little girl being abducted and raped. Brad’s eyes were opened and even after our talk with Mom and Dad, he had more questions with me. I had to get a little descriptive about what could happen physically. . . like to a boy, and I wondered if he thought I was exaggerating. I felt kinda bad after that, cause even in telling him, it stole some of his innocence, but I really thought it was necessary. The next night he thanked me, he said he’d checked the story with his teacher. Ya know Harold, it was nice. . . . When he finished tellin’ me, he said, ‘I love you bro.’ It was kinda like he’d gained a new innocence. From that example, I can only say, tell the kids as soon as they’re ready to understand. They’ll know you told them because of your love of them.”

Wow!” I exclaimed. I couldn’t keep my deadpan professional attitude concealed any longer. I certainly didn’t expect that kind of maturity to come from two fifteen year olds and I told them so. “Boys so many times the press and media gets a bad rap for being too sensational with the news, but your no-nonsense answers to that question were right on the money. Your maturity is a breath of fresh air. I’m sure if this were a test, you’d be getting a hundred percent. For my last question . . . what values would you wish to add to the lives of others?”

Both their smiles returned. David began, “Happiness, comfort, and love for our fellow man . . . and I don’t mean that in a sexual sense . . . I mean it as a challenge to all people to elevate their awareness of what the other fella’s gone through to be in the position he’s at, at that moment.”

Jeremy looked at David with a smiling frown. “I’d like to accept the challenge of bringing up a child, teach them about love, kindness, happiness, but more important . . . to be there for them all the time to answer their every need. Experience their innocence, but most important give them my love and trust. There’s probably a whole lot more, but that’s what I want for the future. David, I think that’s what I want for us.”

The room was so full of emotion at that point, while I waited for David’s response. It took a moment before he grabbed Jeremy’s hand again and said, “Wow! Ever since I was a little kid, I wanted to be a dad and raise a family. One of the depressing things about realizing I was gay was the thought I’d never get the chance to. Now in one day you propose marriage to me, and tell me you want kids? You don’t know how happy you’ve made me.”

I knew I was now invading a moment that had to remain private so I turned off the recorder, stood and said, “Boys, this has been one of the most moving and emotional interviews I’ve ever had the honor of conducting.”

“That’s OK, Harold,” David said. “You’ve obviously had a lot to do with furthering our relationship . . . not that these things wouldn’t have happened for us anyway, but your interview has helped things along, and I want to thank you, so the pleasure is ours, as they say.”

“Guys,” I said as I had a sudden thought. “The Star always has a big celebration for the Fourth. Our main headquarters is right across from University Park and, as you probably know, the whole downtown area is blocked off from traffic all day on the Fourth. Why don’t you and the other members of the GSA that I’m interviewing come down with your families for the celebration? You can park in our garage and I’ll get you tickets to all the special events. We have our own catered barbecue that’s restricted from the public, a stage in the park highlighting local talent, and you’ll have the best ‘seats’ in the house for the fireworks. I’ll have to clear it with the boss, but after all the material you’ve given me, I’m sure he won’t object.

“Thanks, Harold,” David said. “We’ll seriously think about that.”

They accompanied me to the door as we said our goodbyes. I wondered if all the interviews were going to be as eye-opening as this one had been.

“It’s been a real privilege,” I said. “Thank you very much. This article is going to be a good one. By the way, if I don’t see you on the Fourth, have a great anniversary.”



Discuss the Story



⇐ Previous Chapter



Naptown Index



Next Chapter ⇒


Copyright © 2011 Altimexis, David of Hope; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Fall - Anniversary Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..