Jump to content
    Altimexis
  • Author
  • 2,586 Words
  • 1,843 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Naptown 21 - Summer Internship - 6. Summer School - Sammy

Summer Internship

A Naptown Tales Novel by Altimexis & David of Hope

Summer School - Sammy
by David of Hope

It hadn’t been long after we got back ta school after spring break, when I was at school havin’ lunch with my best friends - Brad, Cliff, an’ Paul. Naturally, we was talkin’ about our favorite subject - girls - what else. We were bein’ kinda quiet ’cause we didn’t want the others in the lunchroom to hear what we were sayin’ about ’em.

“That’s interesting fellas,” the voice a Ms. Perkins said as she stood at the end a the table. How did she sneak up on us? “I’m sorry to interrupt such great enthusiasm, but I want to see you, Sammy, and you, Paul, in my office as soon as you’re finished with your lunch.”

The four a us musta turned beet red knowin’ that a female had heard some a our comments about tits and boxes.

I was still embarrassed when we walked inta her office ten minutes later. It hadn’t affected Paul the same as me - he always took everythin’ in stride as if it was a normal thing ta be talkin’ about. In situations like this, Paul’s innocence dissolved any thought a embarrassment. As soon as she saw us, she beckoned us in ta sit on the chairs in front a her desk. There was somethin’ special about Ms. Perkins - as soon as we were seated, she pulled the chair from behind her desk an’ sat in front a us on our side a her desk. She never acted official-like.

With a big smile, she began, “Judging from the progress the two of you have made since you’ve come here, Sammy, I assume that the two of you study and do your homework together. Is that right?”

“Yeah,” Paul said, “Sammy and I almost always do our homework together. He’s smart and I learn better from him.”

“Is that right Sammy?” she asked.

“Well yeah, Ms. Perkins. Most times it’s easy for Paul ta pick up on some a the stuff, but when he doesn’t unnerstan’ somethin’, he asks me an’ I show ’im a different way a looking at the problem, then he unnerstan’s it.”

“That’s interesting. I thought when I introduced the two of you that you’d just be buddies, but something unexpected has happened. Paul, you’ve made some unusual and unexpected advances since you and Sammy have been together. Sammy, you’ve absorbed everything that’s been put to you . . . and . . . you’ve been a good teacher to Paul. That is a surprise. Now the final exams are coming up soon and all your teachers expect that both of you will do very well on them. Sammy, do you still want to attend any summer classes?”

“Oh yes ma’am, I do! I wanna be able ta get inta those advanced classes for high school that you told me about, an’ then I wanna go to college some day too. You said that I could.”

“That’s good Sammy, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. First things first. Summer classes. . . . Paul, the courses that Sammy would be taking this summer may be a little advanced for you, but I’d like you to try them. If you make the same progress this summer with these classes as you have during the last year, I’ll be amazed, but nonetheless it might be a great experience for you . . . especially if the two of you continue to study together. The main thing for you Paul, is if it doesn’t work out and you seem to be getting frustrated, don’t worry about it. Learn what you can and be proud that you got as far as you did. It may work out and who knows . . . the two of you just might finish regular eighth grade together.”

I was amazed. Paul might be that good academically? Paul was equally amazed. He looked at Ms. Perkins like she was an alien from outer space or somethin’. Then he grinned.

“Ya mean it?” he asked.

“I most certainly do,” Ms. Perkins said still smilin’. “One thing I must warn you about though; there are no school busses running in the summer, so you’ll have to make other arrangements to get here and back home. In addition, the schedule is a bit more relaxed than during the rest of the year. One thing you will enjoy is the fact that the classes are smaller and there aren’t as many students in the school in the summer months. The summer teachers won’t be the same teachers that have been teaching you throughout this year; most of the teachers that work here take the summer off, so it’s teachers from other parts of the district that want to do this type of work in the summer instead of taking an extended vacation. They’re very qualified. Classes will start the week after your regular school year ends, right through to August 7th. Classes will start at 9:30 and end at 2:30 in the afternoon. You’ll be taking four or five classes a day with only a half-hour for lunch. Some of the subjects you’ll be taking will be Mathematics, English, Reading, Science and Social Studies. I’ll have a full schedule set up for both of you if you’re agreeable to that.”

“Awesome!” Paul laughed. “Sammy I hope I can do it.”

“Don’t worry about it man, we’ll make it through together. If Paul an’ I pass all these subjects, will we be able to go on together inta regular eighth grade?” I asked.

“Definitely, Sammy,” Ms. Perkins replied still smiling. “The main thing is that you both have a desire to learn.”

By the time we left Ms. Perkins’ office, Paul an’ I were hyped. Regular eighth grade - no more Special Ed - Wow!

I didn’t say anything to Trevor an’ Kurt on the way home ’cause I knew that they’d be goin’ ta Washington as part a the Page Program this summer an’ they were all hyped up about that.

Instead, I waited until suppertime. After I explained the whole thing to Mom, Dad, an’ Trevor, they were happy as all get out, especially about Paul, but so was I. Dad said he’d see what they could do about getting Sammy an’ me ta school - something as simple as that wasn’t gonna stop us from takin’ our classes this summer.

By the time our regular school year ended, Paul an’ I did do great on our final tests. I got straight ‘A’s an’ so did Paul except for a couple a ‘B’s. Who’d a thought!

That night at supper, I was so proud when I announced my grades. Once Mom, Dad, and Trevor each gave me a hug after supper, Trevor let out with his good news. Kurt was goin’ ta get a Congressional Gold Medal and a Young American Medal for Bravery. There was goin’ ta be a big ceremony in Washington and they wanted us ta be there too.

Once Trevor left for Washington to start his page assignment, the house seemed empty. Although he wasn’t always there all the time, I still missed him.

As it turned out, our folks worked it out that Mom would take Paul an’ me ta school, an’ Paul’s Mom would bring us home.

It was the Tuesday of our first week a summer classes. Our last period of the day was with Mr. Hinner, our literature teacher. At the end of the class, he asked me to stay behind. Naturally, Paul stayed behind too.

After all the other kids had left the room, Mr. Hinner tol’ us ta sit at the desks at the front a the room. He asked me, “Sam,” he always called me ‘Sam’, “I understand from your Social Studies teacher that you spent your spring break in Washington DC.”

“Yeah, we did, sir,” I answered. “Paul, an’ my bro, Trevor, an his frien’ Kurt, our frien’ Brad, his bro, David, an’ Jer’my an’ his bro, Cliff.”

“Sam, what was the most impressive thing you experienced in Washington?” he asked.

“First off, I guess it was the plane ride. I’d never been on a plane before. Then we got ta ride in this humungous stretched Hummer limo. It was awesome. Calvin was our guide. He was great. Once we saw a few of the sights, I was really impressed with the Lincoln Memorial. That statue inside was enormous. How did somebody carve that thing? More than anythin’ though, I think it was the art, sir. It kinda started with some a da sculptures. It was kinda like I could feel what the guy was thinkin’, what he was feelin’ when he was put’n some a da things tagether. It was like lookin’ inta the beautiful thoughts the artist was feelin’ when they created the stuff. Then da paintings, they really got ta me. Like I said, I felt what they felt, the things they were tryin’ ta say when they painted. Losin’ Paul one afternoon really scared us an’ we got lost in a pretty bad part a town. That’s when I realized that bein’ a frien’ ta Paul was more important than anthin’ else. Best frien’ I got.”

“I can see that.” Mr. Hinner said. “I’m not going to keep you here any longer today, I don’t want you to miss your ride, but maybe we could talk again tomorrow.”

When we left the school, Hilda Manning was waiting for us and tol’ us that she was goin’ ta the mall to do some shoppin’. While she went on with her shoppin’, Paul an’ I sat at the food court an’ reviewed the stuff they’d taught us that day. I really wanted Paul to learn this stuff - I knew it’d make a big difference ta the way he thought of himself - not as a dummy with Down’s Syndrome, but a teenager with a future - the same as me. For some reason, I was really proud a him as his intelligence started ta show itself.

The next afternoon, Mr. Hinner asked Paul an’ me ta stay back again. He turned one of the desks around an’ sat in front of us.

“Sam,” he began, “Have you ever heard a recording of your own voice?”

“Uhh . . . no sir,” I thought for a moment, “Can’t say I have.”

“Well Sam, I hope you don’t object, but yesterday, I wanted a sample of your conversational vocabulary,” he said, “so I recorded what you had said in our short conversation. Would you care to listen to it?”

Naturally, I didn’t object, but as I listened to it, I realized what a hayseed I sounded like. Actually, I prolly had a scowl on my face by the time the short recording finished. I was almost ashamed.

“God, Mr. Hinner, I sound like an idiot!” I exclaimed.

“No you don’t!” Paul almost shouted. “You’re too smart.”

Mr. Hinner smiled. “Paul, you and I think alike. Sam, you’re not an idiot. Actually, you’re both quite intelligent. Sam, what I want you to do is read something I wrote from what you said yesterday. Read it slowly and pronounce every word carefully.”

I looked at the piece of paper he handed me. Everything I’d said had been typed, but the grammar and the words were sometimes a little different. I did as he said and pronounced every word. He did correct me once when I’d dropped a ‘g’ when I’d said ‘somethin’.’ When I finished reading the paragraph, I set the paper down and looked at Mr. Hinner. He was smiling.

“Listen carefully,” he said as he turned on the recorder again. This was a recording of everything I’d just read complete with the interjection Mr. Hinner had made. Right away, I could hear the difference. It didn’t sound stupid - it sounded like the way I would want someone to tell me a story. It made me smile.

“Sam, I take it that you heard the difference and understand what I’m trying to do.”

“Yes, I do, Mr. Hinner.” I said slowly, concentrating on every word. “It sounds so much better . . . it sounds right.”

“It sure does!” Paul said. He was smiling when I looked at him; so was his Mom as she stood at the door. We hadn’t heard her come in.

“Sammy, you’re a fast learner . . .” Mrs. Manning said, “all you have to do now is concentrate and practice. Soon it will come easier.”

“Hi Mom,” Paul said smiling as he jerked his head around.

“Mrs. Manning, I’m Adam Hinner,” he introduced himself as he stood up. “I’m glad you agree with me. Sam,” he continued, turning to look at me, “I have a feeling that you’re going to go far someday and you might be in a position where proper elocution is required. It will make a big difference to your audience if you can pronounce your words properly. Paul, you’re no slouch yourself . . . if you continue to follow Sam’s example, you’ll be right behind him.”

“Thank you Mr. Hinner,” I said, “You’re a good teacher and I’ll do my best.”

That was the truth as far as I was concerned. He took a boring subject like Literature and made it interesting and now he’d given me a bonus - I was learning to speak properly.

That night at dinner, I spoke slowly as I explained to Mom and Dad what had happened in Mr. Hinner’s class.

Dad smiled as he looked at me. “Sammy, I always thought of your accent as being part of your charm as a little kid, but you’re no longer just a little kid. You’re growing up into a young man and I like the change. Proper elocution goes with the maturity that’s a part of you. Son, I like the change and no matter what you do, I’ll always be proud of you.”

“Sammy,” Mom began, “You’re a changed person from the boy we met in Dr. Jenkin’s office. You have matured and you’ve made us very happy, in that you’ve worked hard and taken advantage of the opportunities that have come your way. As proud of you as we are, you should be very proud of yourself too.”

I had to get out my chair and give both of them a tearful hug because I knew that without them, I wouldn’t have had any of these opportunities. They sure knew how to make my waterworks start dribbling.

That night, as I was getting my stuff cleaned away for school tomorrow, my cell phone rang. It was our state’s senior senator. He asked if I was going to Kurt’s award ceremony and banquet on the weekend in Washington. Naturally I was - Mom and Dad had confirmed that weeks ago. Paul was coming too. The senator asked, as part of an introduction to Kurt’s speech, if I could give a description of what happened at the camp and about the things that had happened in Kurt’s life since then. Well, I’d done that before, in the high school gymnasium with Kurt, when we told the story of what happened at the summer camp.

“Sure,” I said, “I’d be glad to.” I wasn’t about to become ashamed of what had happened that summer. With the way things had turned out, the doctor had told me never to be ashamed and, slow but sure, the shame was going away.

After I closed my cell phone, I wondered how I was going to get through it. I was really going to have to practice every word I spoke so my dumb accent didn’t come through.



Discuss the Story



⇐ Previous Chapter



Naptown Index



Next Chapter ⇒


2009 Altimexis and David of Hope. All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..