Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 1,457 Words
  • 10,253 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Colorado Game - 12. Chapter 12

CHAPTER *12*

Ross didn't return to Aspen for the remainder of our stay. He didn't call and even Janice didn't know what had caused Ross to leave so suddenly, courtesy of Joey who had casually asked about it on a date. So she and Joey drew me into a few more outings on the slopes when I really felt like not going, and forced me to try and have a good time. Thanks to them, the last few days didn't suck.

Joey's assessment, that I had fallen hard for Ross, was correct. Still, I was more than a little pissed at him for leaving like that. It was only thanks to Joey that he got the benefit of the doubt. But Janice also proved to be very supportive; that and that she wasn't surprised about Ross and me because she had noticed Ross's behavior. She told me that Ross had asked questions about me; if she knew that I was single, where I lived, that sort of thing. What surprised me the most is that he had asked those questions right after we had met for the first time, in the parking lot.

"As soon as he asked me that, I watched you two," she said, admitting that she had told him my preference for the male population. "He's very private. I didn't know he was gay until two years ago. And only because his ex came to the office."

"Kyle?" I asked. She nodded.

"Ross was a wreck after that; Kyle really pulled a number on him. Wait until you meet Ross's mother; she will drink his blood if she ever sees that guy again." She smiled as she seemed to recall something. "Actually, she almost did. It must've been what... half a year ago? During some release party, Kyle showed up. Sofia went ballistic. You should've seen it; that woman is like a tiger. No one touches Ross or any of his brothers or sister."

"I don't think I wanna meet her," I smiled.

"It'll happen eventually; once she knows Ross is involved, oh baby...there's nowhere to hide." She grinned evilly.

"Well, right now I don't know if we are or not, you know. He just left. Didn't wake me, leave a note or whatever. For all I know, he ran as soon as he got what he wanted." Janice shook her head.

"No, he's not like that at all. It must've been something bad, for him to leave like that," she insisted. "And we can make all sorts of excuses, good or bad, but you'll just have to wait and see. Knowing Ross, he'll come to you sooner rather than later." She patted my arm. "He always does. Sometimes, at the office, he yells my head off but he always comes back to explain or apologize, even when he doesn't have to. That's how he is. His brother is the exact same."

I nodded and for a little while, what she had said took my mind off of it. But that last night, when I was alone in bed, thoughts once again started to enter my mind and the next morning I was a sleep-deprived wreck, on the verge of hating him and hating myself. All through the night I'd been tossing and turning, running through dozens of ‘what if' scenarios in my head. What if we hadn't had sex this soon, what if I hadn't given in to the feelings he'd been causing, what if... yeah, what if?

**********

I was glad when the bus finally arrived to take us back to Denver, and I was even gladder when it pulled up into the parking lot at FG. I couldn't wait to get out, get my stuff and the hell away from here, and away from the memory of Ross. It'd been pretty clear to me that I had fallen like a rock for him, the last night together only sealing my unfortunate romantic fate. But who was I kidding? In the end, I was an average young man who wasn't rich. Sure, I got by royally compared to the average person but I certainly wasn't moving in the circles that Ross was used to. I was just a guy who tried to live his life, have a little fun and maybe, just maybe, find someone to have that fun with? Was that too much to ask?

So by the time I came home, I was pretty down and had thought myself into yet another state, which didn't help matters all that much. But then it got worse; no messages on my answering machine. Well, some were there, like from my mom and a couple of friends, but not from Ross. Secretly I'd hoped that maybe he had called to explain, but even that hope quickly diminished when the last beep came and went.

That weekend was one that I couldn't wait to end, and I was almost glad when the alarm went off on Monday morning. Not so much because I finally might get some answers today, if Ross would be in, but just to get this long, tedious weekend over with.

**********

I arrived uncharacteristically (for me) early at FG, coming into an empty office and I'd already been working for at least half an hour when the first people came in, half of them still hung over from the weekend; another thing that I hadn't done, unlike other weekends, where I could be found spending half a day in bed to recuperate from a wild night on the town. This weekend I hadn't touched a drop of alcohol.

When Joey and Eric arrived, the office lit up a bit, and I half listened to their stories about their weekend activities. It turned out that Joey had spent a minimal amount of time with Eric, instead opting to spend half his weekend with Janice. Eric, of course, wasn't all that amused and it didn't take them long to turn back to calling each other names, slapping each other, snide comments and so forth. In a quieter moment, when Eric had gone to the men's room, Joey asked if I had heard anything. The sigh I gave was more than enough of an answer and he shook his head.

"I'm sorry, man. I hope you find out some more today. And speaking of today, have we got an action packed one ahead of us." I raised an eyebrow and he explained. "Well, on the way here, elevator talk spoke of the intro-deadline moving forward to, wait for it; today!"

"What!" I said, "They can't! I'm not ready. Half the theme hasn't even been finished, let alone a final mix. They can't do that."

"Oh yes they can. Apparently, our dear vice-president Andrew Forester has struck a deal with a production company, who want to see that trailer this week. I think that's why he wasn't with us last week. Probably busy earning millions again. Anyway, one of the legal department secretaries was blabbing in the elevator because she'd been called in to work during the weekend, preparing contracts and stuff."

"Shit, I'm fucked," I said, rubbing my face. "This is just great."

"Relax, we have a few options. We can always use temp music, can't we?"

"Sure, but that's not going to give the ambiance they're looking for. If the deal revolves around this intro, I need to get my ass into the studio, pronto."

"Okay, what have you got so far?"

"I have all the instruments on separate tracks, but that's all done by synthesizer. You'll get an idea of the ambiance but that's about it; I did them myself. I had to hold off on booking the musicians to have it all come together in the studio, because they thought I should wait until the programming was done."

"Well, they thought wrong. Can't you mix those synthesizer tracks together?"

"Sure I can but it won't come near to what I had in mind. I want the orchestral sound, not a Kylie Minoque hump-video sound. It'll sound as empty as that "nanana" crap song."

"Right. So who can you call, on such a short notice?" I rattled off a few names of people from which I knew had nothing on their plate "Great; how about a recording studio?"

"I can try DMA, but it's very last minute..." I said, unsure.

"Contact them and if they can put us up, call whoever you can in. I'll clear it with Will, who can go upstairs and talk his ass off with the legal department." I nodded and got to work.

There was only one positive about this; for the next few hours, I didn't have time to even think about Ross.

Minor corrections.
andr0gene 2004-Present; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Gosh , an introspective , pensive weekend followed by a Manic Monday , these Foresters are trying poor Mark. 

Edited by deville
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..