Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 1,114 Words
  • 8,536 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Colorado Game - 35. Chapter 35

CHAPTER *35*

I didn't tell Ross about the conversation I'd had with Kyle and we spent that evening at the loft, watching the new Return of the King Extended Edition DVD. I ended up watching the second half of that alone; Ross was softly snoring beside me on the couch. When the movie was over, I snuggled up to him and quickly fell asleep.

Saturday and Sunday we went over to Castle Pines Village, to spend the rest of the weekend with Sofia, Andrew, his wife and kids and Ross's older sister, Marcia, who was celebrating a belated birthday.

So I came back at Warner Gaming after a pretty filled weekend, enough to entertain Jodie well into the week with stories about Marcia's antics, Ross's sleeping session during a movie (which resulted in a "do's and don'ts" rant for the better part of Monday) or Sofia's battle of wills with her daughter. At the end of the workday I also told Jodie about the conversation Kyle and I'd had, asking her opinion on me feeling bad about judging him.

"Sounds to me that you already know what to do; you just don't wanna say it out loud," she answered after giving it some thought. "Obviously he's not at all as you thought he was. In your mind you treated him like shit and you feel guilty, because you found out that he's actually a good guy. You can't hold the past against him. Your boyfriend, his ex, can, but you? You can't. You have no right to do that."

"And who made you Oprah?" I replied, chagrinned, but she was right. Well, to a point anyway.

I hadn't given Kyle the benefit of the doubt. I had enjoyed our conversation and when he dismissed the idea of us being friends, after he had admitted at wanting that, based on my treatment of him, I genuinely felt ashamed because I just am not that kind of a person. I used to make up my mind about people by myself. Somehow, Ross, but to a greater extend Sofia, had made me biased towards Kyle. That made me angry. Not at Sofia, not at Ross but at myself. I pushed my chair back and stood.

"I'll be right back," I said.

"Where are you going?" Jodie asked, yelling it after me.

"Get myself a new friend," I yelled back.

**********

I softly knocked on the door, which stood wide open, and waited until Kyle looked up from his work.

"Mr. Norcross, what can I do for you?" he asked, making a ‘come in' gesture.

"Accept an apology?" I replied, closing the door behind me.
He frowned, raising an eyebrow.

"Unless you did something bad and I don't know about it yet, I have no idea..." he spoke, shaking his head.

"Last Friday... you said that you'd like it if we would become friends. But I didn't give you the benefit of the doubt, relying on someone else's opinion instead of my own. That's wrong and not who I am. So I'd like to apologize and... you know... maybe... we could try to become friends. Have dinner or go for a couple of drinks, or coffee, something like that?"
Kyle leaned back in his chair, a surprised look on his face. Then he smiled, nodding.

"Okay... apology accepted. I'd like that." I smiled back and looked at my watch. 5:05pm.

"How about now? Wanna grab a coffee?"
He checked his own watch.

"Ehr... sure. You're not getting into any trouble about this, I hope?"
He rose from his chair, turning off his monitor.

"Trouble?" I asked, frowning.
I waited until Kyle had put on his jacket and then we walked towards my office, where I picked up my bag and coat. Jodie and Mason had already left.

"Yeah... I mean, Ross probably won't like it if we hang out together."

"I can handle Ross," I assured him, grinning.

"I seriously doubt that."

**********

I came home a little after seven, finding Ross already there. Normally, he'd come home around eight or nine, and that was on a relatively quiet day, so finding him at the loft was a welcome surprise.

"Hey. You're pretty late," he said, smiling as I kissed him.

"And you're early! Why didn't you call me?" I said, wrapping my arms around his waist.
We went on to smooch a little more.

"Well, I wanted to surprise you; take you out to dinner at the club, rent a movie, have some wine..."

"Sounds good to me! Well, if you promise not to fall asleep this time," I winked, earning a soft slap on my behind for that one.

"Silence, peasant; as the Alfa male, I am entitled to..." I rolled my eyes, laughing.
When he was in this state, a normal conversation was basically not in the cards. He had a goofy streak that I quite liked.

"Oh puhlease... you keep deluding yourself while I'll go up and change, okay?"

"Deluding myself? Why sir, it's nothing but the truth. Do I not slave all day to bring you riches? Am I not then entitled to study the inside of my eyelids on occasion? Well, that's just..."

That went on and on and I listen with just half an ear as I refreshed myself and changed into a more formal outfit, knowing that the venue of choice was the exclusive dining room at the club Ross frequented.

The first time he'd taken me there, I'd worn just about the oldest pair of jeans I owned and an old rag of a t-shirt; even sneakers. I'd felt so embarrassed when the Maitre D' discretely took me aside, offering me a jacket to cover up the worst. The very next day I'd gone out and bought a suit, spending half a month's wages on an Armani, when Ross told me that he enjoyed dining there on a regular bases.

"Why were you so late, anyway? Busy day?" he asked on our way out, waiting for the elevator to arrive.

He hooked his pink on mine. We only walked like that when we were alone because I don't like displaying affection out on the street, so as soon as we'd arrive outside, we'd let go of each other.

"No, not really... I ehr, went out to get a coffee with a friend."

"Ah. Already making friends, eh? That's great!"
The elevator arrived and he pulled up the door. I followed him inside, watching him press the button and pull down the door.

"Ross... I might as well tell you... it was Kyle. I went out to get a coffee with Kyle."

The smile on his face faded.

andr0gene 2004-Present; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

While it is appropriate to maintain a professional friendly relationship with business associates, I can't imagine it is ever a good idea to begin a personal friendship with your mate's ex-lover....Everything could/can/probably will be misconstrued by outside observers needlessly complicating an already too complicated situation. And Sofia is not a person to be trifled with, no matter how secure one is within oneself.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Okay, I down loaded the latest chapters to make sure I would have them to read on a short trip. I was delayed and decided to read. I read through chapter 35. I remember thinking, 'at least this reading doesn't end with the statement, "his smile fafed". How wrong can one be. I am not a patient man. I have been known to consume good novels in an afternoon. I eagerly await the next installments. I hope you make it soon.

 

Thanks for the great writing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/30/2011 03:38 AM, Daddydavek said:
While it is appropriate to maintain a professional friendly relationship with business associates, I can't imagine it is ever a good idea to begin a personal friendship with your mate's ex-lover....Everything could/can/probably will be misconstrued by outside observers needlessly complicating an already too complicated situation. And Sofia is not a person to be trifled with, no matter how secure one is within oneself.
No, she's not, lol! ;)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 03/30/2011 03:45 AM, sojourn said:
Okay, I down loaded the latest chapters to make sure I would have them to read on a short trip. I was delayed and decided to read. I read through chapter 35. I remember thinking, 'at least this reading doesn't end with the statement, "his smile fafed". How wrong can one be. I am not a patient man. I have been known to consume good novels in an afternoon. I eagerly await the next installments. I hope you make it soon.

 

Thanks for the great writing.

I hope to finish it soon, perhaps tomorrow. Not promising anything, just an intention. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Mark is back in the doghouse again. Making friends with the very much despised ex-lover despite being aware of the fact he is very much despised is tantamount to betrayal. Even if the truth of the breakup belonged in a somewhat grayer area than Mark was led to believe, Ross' beliefs were no less true to him about the subject. Ross' feelings should have taken precedent over any ideas that Mark had about making up his own mind as to more than a working relationship.

Link to comment

Mark is just not thinking , it’s one thing to apologize and have a cordial working relationship , it’s quite another to totally disregard your lovers history and go out for coffee with his ex without canvassing it with him first. In Ross’s shoes I would be livid! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..