Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 747 Words
  • 9,499 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Confounded: Part II - 24. Chapter 24

CHAPTER 24 --==Kit’s POV==--

I took a couple of deep breaths before I softly knocked on the guestroom door. When I did, it opened a little further; it hadn’t fallen into the lock. It made him look up, scowling from where he was, sitting on his bed with his knees drawn up, his arms around them. He was rocking himself back and forth.

“Go away, Kit. I meant it; leave me alone.”
Instead, I closed the door and leaned against it, watching him.

“You really expect me to go after admitting I was right, that you’re into me, and planting one on me like that?” I asked, softly.

“Too bad that I could care less what you think.”

“Liar,” I said, calmly. “You care.”
He didn’t answer.

Pushing myself away from the door, I went over to the desk and sat down, turning the wheelchair so I was facing him. Then I bent forward, resting my elbows on my knees and stared at him.

“What!?” he snapped, after about a minute of silence. “What do you want from me…”

“You said I was right, about all of it...”

“I lied.”

“No. You didn’t.”
He hadn’t. I knew it, he knew it, and I wasn’t going anywhere until I he said it. In his anger, he’d spoken the truth. About Miguel. He was afraid I would replace him, in his heart. He had to say it. Out loud. I needed it. I needed to be sure.
“What was I right about?”

“Will you stop,” he then asked, softly, staring past me at a spot on the wall behind me. “Please?”

“No.”

“Why not?” He suddenly yelled.
He could yell all he wanted. If he couldn’t get past Miguel…

“Because I’m…”
I halted there, choosing my words carefully, calmly.
“..in love with you.”

“Your problem.”

“What was I right about, Tom?” I answered, ignoring it, even though that one hurt.

“Fuck. You.”

“Yes. Fuck you too, Tom. What was I right about?”

“Dammit…will. You. Stop!? Jesus!”

“No. Tell me.”
His eyes shifted then, from the wall to me. Straight at me. And all I saw was pain in there. Eyes black as night, pools of pain. So much pain that it actually hurt to look at it. Straight into my own heart.

“Please…” he whispered, his voice breaking, “stop. Please…please…”
I swallowed a lump the size of California. Damn, this was tough. Maybe I chewed off more that I’d bargained for, here. Maybe Tay and dad were right, and a professional had to take this over.

“I can’t do that,” I heard myself answering.

“I hate you.”

“That’s ok…”
He just might, although I hoped to God he didn’t.

“I really hate you...”
He said it with such venom, it just…hurt.

“Why, Tom?” I asked instead, my own voice equaling his into the softest whisper, barely audible. “Why do you hate me?”

“You’re not supposed to be there…”
Huh? I frowned but he didn’t even notice. Then I got it, just as he said it.
“You’re making me forget him.”

“I wish I was sorry about that,” I whispered. “But I’m not.”
I actually meant it. I wasn’t sorry.

“You…you think you’re better than him?“

“No. Of course not.”

“You don’t?”
I shook my head.

“No one can compete with the dead. They make no mistakes.”(1)
And for the first time since I entered the room, it seemed like he was seeing me.

He smiled, ruefully.

“Perceptive…”

“Maybe,” I answered, equally rueful. “It’s still true. I can’t compete with him. So I’m not gonna. I’m me. And if that makes you forget him, than he wasn’t much to begin with.”
For a minute there, his eyes flashed, and I thought I just might’ve lost everything here. Then he seemed to mull it over.

“Smart.”

“Thank you.”

“I still hate you.”

“Do you…do you really?”
He didn’t answer that.
“Tom?”

I got my answer when, instead of saying that he did, he lowered his head to his knees and shook his head. Then his shoulders started to shake. Once, first…then several times, as he silently cried.

As fast as I could, I got over there and as soon as I sat down and dragged him into a fierce hug, he let go of his knees and choked the life out of me as he wrapped his arms around my neck. And for the second time in as many days, I ended up with a soaked shirt.

(1) : Quote from the 'Arnold' character in Torch Song Trilogy.
andr0gene 2005-present
  • Like 20
  • Love 18
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

When are the rest coming???? I was jumping with joy when i saw this update!!!

 

Kit is soooooo smart! :D *sigh* I really really like him! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

YAY!!!!!! and I didn't have to wait 20yrs...you ROCK!!!!! I've missed this story...

 

As I was reading this chapter I kept thinking how so much like his father Kit was. I could see Tay and his dad having such conversations where Tay was trying to pull back and Mitch wasn't having it. Not giving up so easily on something he knew he wanted. Tom *hugs* to him...He doesn't want to forget Miguel and he's afraid to love because of that. I totally get where he's coming from. If Kit is anythng like his dad I'm not to worried about them, Tom will come around I hope.... :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Finaly Tom is letting it all out.

He's finaly letting himself mourn the loss of his first love, and showing his fear of losing the memories they shared.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

" No one can compete with the dead. They make no mistakes.”

Bad Author, bad bad author, this is the second time you've taken an uncredited line from Harvey Fierstein and Torch Song Trilogy. There was one in your Colorado story as well. I'm not knocking you, they are good lines but give due credit

 

Otherwise the story and the dialogue are on track and sharp and poignant as usual.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Correct you are. One of the best movies to ' steal'  from. ;) Perhaps read on and see a reference. Not so much in name, but he confirms it is not his own.  :D 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Hey Andr0gene, any plans to pick where you left off? I really love this story (ok, so maybe I love Confounded I a tiny weeny bit  more but lets get real T has to be one if not the best character in all GA) but I was truly enjoying it...

Pretty please?! 🙏🏻🙏🏻

  • Like 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Cachondeo said:

Hey Andr0gene, any plans to pick where you left off? I really love this story (ok, so maybe I love Confounded I a tiny weeny bit  more but lets get real T has to be one if not the best character in all GA) but I was truly enjoying it...

Pretty please?! 🙏🏻🙏🏻

 

Yes, I will be continuing but not in the mood to write, currently. And I need to be, or it'll become stilted and unflowing.  :(

  • Like 2
Link to comment
31 minutes ago, Andr0gene said:

 

Yes, I will be continuing but not in the mood to write, currently. And I need to be, or it'll become stilted and unflowing.  :(

Oki doki, you go and replenish yourself with all those much needed inspirational fluids and in the meantime I’ll try to talk to the muses on your behalf ☺️

 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
3 hours ago, Andr0gene said:

 

Yes, I will be continuing but not in the mood to write, currently. And I need to be, or it'll become stilted and unflowing.  :(

 

I know exactly what you mean. I may have to quote you in my own unfinished stories. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..