Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 966 Words
  • 7,192 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Butler - 1. Chapter I

After I let the Cognac do its work, it somehow calming my insides a little, I picked up the phone and dialed the first number, contacting the middle son, William Montgomery.

A woman picked up, sounding sleepy and, as far as I knew, he didn’t have a maid so this would be one of his ‘sweetheart of the week” - ladies he enjoyed so much, much to the chagrin of his father, who’d kept him on somewhat of a tight leash these days.

“Yes hello. May I speak to the man lying next to you, please. This is Christopher McAllister calling, at the direction of Mr. Montgomery’s father.”

It took some time; I heard muffled speech and then a short acknowledgment.

“William?”

“What do you want, Chris. Do you know how early it is?”
And suddenly the reality of it all hit me. He was truly gone and I spaced out, then started when I heard my name screamed through the speaker.
“Chris!? You there? Chris, c’mon, man, now you’re scaring me. Chris?”
Swallowing down another lump, I gave him the news.

It went fully silent on the other end of the line. Then I heard a deep sigh and a soft curse, which I took for something positive; he and his father didn’t always see eye to eye, but I was pretty sure he did love his old man.

“Are you okay?”

Slightly taken aback, I answered that I was fine. He usually wasn’t all that sensitive to other people’s feelings.

“Ehr….yes, thank you.”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can. Did you call Seth and Greg yet?”

“No, you were the first on my list.”

“Oh, Greg’s gonna love that,” he said dryly.

Undoubtedly, but I didn’t make this list. I dreaded the call to the eldest son.

“Probably.”

“You know damn well he won’t like it. So don’t tell him. Lie if he asks, okay?”

“If that’s what you want me to do…”
He sniggered.

“Want me to call them?”

“No, thank you, that won’t be necessary. Is there anything you need me to arrange for you? Transportation?”

“No, I’ll manage,” he replied, “I’ll try to be there by dinner time. You don’t have to pick me up from the airport, I’ll take a cab. Thank you for letting me know. Hang in there, okay?”

He hung up and I scribbled a little star beside his name. Next up was Seth, who took the news very hard.

Being his father's favorite and, at thirty six, the youngest, he was the most emotional of the three. Way back when, he’d been closely guided by his father to follow into the footsteps of his elder brother, to present a hardliner (Gregory) and a more docile (Seth) representation at the head of Montgomery International, an import/export giant on the east coast.

But Seth had taken a different route, instead becoming an artist and a quite successful one at that. We’d been to a showing of his not three weeks earlier.

During my time with Mr. Montgomery, I’d learned it had taken Seth many years to finally own up to his father that his old man’s dreams weren’t his. It was then that Senior’s interest in the company fully ceased, and he left the reins in the hands of the one last on my list: the eldest son, Gregory Montgomery Jr.

His assuming the reins at Montgomery International had taken place years before I came into his father's employ and I only met him after his father had told him he’d finally found ‘a keeper’. That was roughly a year after I had started work. All that time, I'd never met the eldest son, though I knew he visited on occasion, but Gregory had almost tripped over his own legs to come check things out, once we spoke on the phone.

Of the three, he was a hard, impenetrable man, aged forty one; as rumors went, he was ruthless in business. From personal experience, I knew him to be cruel, crude and cold. Horrible man. In company, he’d be civil, standoffish and aloof. But alone, towards me? The man scared me half to death. He was always watching me, looking for error and always seemed angry with me. He usually spoke in a threatening tone, unpleasant, always giving me the idea I was on the verge of being devoured by some rabid animal. To others he was charming, even warm. He had a dual personality it seemed.

I couldn’t think of anything I’d ever done to him, to warrant that. Well, perhaps one little mishap, but that hardly was enough reason to treat me the way he did. Maybe he just had it in for me, though once, when we had first met years ago, he hadn’t been. In fact, he’d been pleasant then, inquisitive and charming; interested in what I had to say. The other personality. Even then I'd felt, almost immediately, that I had to be careful around him. He was not one to trifle with and had the uncanny ability to read me. Somehow, I knew he was dangerous. A sinister vibe came off him, making me feel nervous. I knew right away, even standing with my back turned to him, when he entered a room. That heavy blanketing feeling you get on a scorching hot summer day, that heavy drumming in your ears.

To this day, I still remembered how those dark eyes burned into mine, watching my every move, even the tiniest gestures. Watching my mouth and my jittery hands. Nothing escaped his notice; he'd see a thread and start pulling and I had a few threads to pull.

Which brings me to the story of how I actually got here – a short trip down memory lane.

Edited: 03/29/2018
Copyright © 2018 Andr0gene; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 50
  • Love 9
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ooo, a nasty villain, and I bet he has been envious of Christopher because of his closeness to Dad and the other siblings. No more speculation. I'll just read more. Thanks.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I’m curious as to why the phone numbers were kept in the safe. They could've been almost anywhere else. Makes me wonder why Christopher was given the combination.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Just now, Geemeedee said:

I’m curious as to why the phone numbers were kept in the safe. They could've been almost anywhere else. Makes me wonder why Christopher was given the combination.

 

Hmm, not meant a plot device. The instructions were in there, so I guess convenience. I really don't remember, that chapter remained as it was for years. Oops? :/ 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Hmm....  have to wonder if Gregory Montgomery Jr. will turn out to be a monster or something else, there seemed to be a hint of something in this chapter.  Looking back can be painful even if you are in a good place when you do so; after this loss, hope that Christopher is ready for that...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
1 minute ago, centexhairysub said:

Hmm....  have to wonder if Gregory Montgomery Jr. will turn out to be a monster or something else, there seemed to be a hint of something in this chapter.  Looking back can be painful even if you are in a good place when you do so; after this loss, hope that Christopher is ready for that...

 

Perceptive. I won't ruin your experience reading, but gawd, do I wish to. ;) 

Link to comment

'He left the reigns in the hands of the one last on my list.': Troll alert -- reins, those things used to direct a horse, do not contain a g.

As far as the story is concerned -- how could I NOT be interested as an eighty-five-year-old man myself!

Wil H.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..