Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 3,305 Words
  • 5,497 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Butler - 13. Chapter XIII

January 12th, 2011, Greenwich, CT

We survived the weekend without too much mishap; I mainly avoided Gregory whenever I could; if he noticed it, he didn’t let on. The overall tone was a bit sad, though. An era had come to an end, or so it seemed. Soon I’d have to leave, and that saddened me more than I expected. Mr. Montgomery had been very good to me. Not only financially, but also as a human being. He’d given me a chance when no one else would, and for that, I’d always be thankful.

But he had one last reach from the grave. One that no one had seen coming.

**********

“You do understand I’m not very happy with this?” Gregory said, with barely contained anger.

Oh yes. That I did.

We were in the study, where he’d pretty much dragged me while I’d been busy preparing dinner for the family. It would be the last dinner I would serve here; Seth and his family would be leaving the next day, as would William. And then I would be, also; my suitcases were packed back up, waiting for a few last minute items to be stored inside.

I’d already made some arrangements for my return to New York, where I planned on looking for a new job as soon as possible. The train ticket was already purchased and I’d stay in a hotel, at first; if the job hunt went well and I found a new employer, there was no sense in tying myself to a lease, when it was very much a possibility I’d be moving in. The butler market was exclusive and small; not many could afford it, especially someone with my skills; thanks to Mr. Montgomery, I had followed a lot of courses and these days, my resume was quite extensive.

But all that had been put on hold when Gregory had come into the kitchen, gruffly ordering me to leave things as they were and come with him. We’d returned from the funeral an hour before that, a solemn, closed (family only) affair, and the family had retreated to the study, to read the will. When I told him I’d be with him in a second, he’d grabbed my arm, which'd barely healed from the last time, saying it wasn’t a request.

“Yes,” I answered breathlessly, stunned at what I’d just been told. “Neither am I.”

I could definitely understand why he wasn’t happy, and could hardly believe what old Mr. Montgomery had done.

He had included me in his will.

I’d done my job, yes, and gladly so, but not nearly enough, in my opinion, to warrant this. And definitely not a bequest involving a large part of his estate.

“Good. So what did you do to get him to change his will?”

“Excuse me?”

He pursed his lips and there was an obvious fight going on between his brain and his mouth. His brain won but he spoke through clenched teeth.

“This is my parental home. It was always intended to become mine, as eldest son, upon my fathers’ death. His previous will stated that. He changed it, last year; your doing, I'm sure.”

I felt uncomfortable under his accusing stare but tried not to show it. He thought I had somehow forced or gotten his father to change his will to my benefit? I sighed, trying a smile to diffuse the situation.

“Sir, I’ve never…”

“Preying on an old man like that,” he cut in, “it’s beyond despicable.”
My mouth fell open.

“WHAT!?”

“What did you do; offer yourself? Hmm? Seduce the old man with physical pleasure in his old age?”

I didn’t reply; I couldn’t. I was too stunned. He had to be hurting himself pretty hard, jumping to conclusions like that.

“The thought of you even being mentioned in here,” he picked up a handful of papers, throwing them at me.

They landed left and right from me and when I looked down, I realized it was the actual will.

“…it makes me sick to think how you were able to play him. It’s hard to think someone would sacrifice six years of his life, for the minute chance of getting into the good graces of an old man, to get to his money.”

“Now wait just a minute,” I began, beginning to become angry myself, rising from the chair. “I received a second chance, and I took it. Jumped at it, to be honest. I did my work as best as I could and I certainly didn’t set out to ‘get into the good graces of an old man’, as you put it, for his money. There never was inappropriate behavior of any kind. Your father gave me a chance, fully knowing where I’ve been and what I’ve done before he took me in.”

Gregory didn’t speak but I could tell he really, really wanted to. Or do something else. He seemed very volatile at the moment; I wouldn’t have put it past him to throw a punch or two.
I bent down on my hunches and gathered the papers. Then I rose and looked him straight in the eye as he moodily stared back, putting the papers back on the desk.

“This is yours. I want no part or claim to any of it and I’ll sign anything that says so. I’ll be out of here as soon as I can arrange it, as per your earlier orders, Sir.”

I waited for him to say something; when he didn’t, I turned and took my leave quietly. I’d already opened the door when he suddenly spoke.

“You can’t.”

“Watch me,” I said, turning to leave.

“You’re not going anywhere.”

“Will you stop telling me what I can and can't do! Jesus!”
I just lost it.
“Are you deaf? I said I don’t want any part of it!”

“Dammit, Christopher! If you leave before the year is over, your claim goes to the retirement center. Did you even read the damn…”

He halted, realizing I hadn’t read any of it, then sighed impatiently and rose, stalking toward me. He closed the door, nodding at the chair.

“Sit.”
I had little choice; he was blocking the door anyway, so I returned to the chair and sat down again.

He took his seat behind the desk and held up the will.

“In short; if you leave, your claim to the house, and the money he left you, goes to the retirement center mentioned in the will. You’re left with nothing, and I have to give up my stake as well and vice versa; if Ileave, my claim to the house goes to the same retirement center, and your stake has to be given up as well. In any case; we both lose. Like I said before; this is my parental home. I won’t lose it. Ever. Not toyou, because of you, or to anyone else. I’ll die first, before I let that happen.”

His tone brooked no argument.

“You have no other option but to stay. The will specifies it, and there’s no other way but to do as it states.”

“Get real; I can do whatever I want. No one tells me what I can and can’t do, Gregory,” I replied softly, getting up. “Not even a will. You can’t make me stay.”
I didn’t even realize, at that moment, I’d used his name. It was a first, in six years.

“Sit. Down,” he replied, also rising from his chair. “You’re staying right here. And a year from now, you’ll be free to go wherever you wish, with the money he’s also left you on these terms, and I retain the house. Understand this; … ”

“Oh, I understand perfectly,” I said, anger once again flaring up, but I sat down as ordered. “You think you can force me to stay, because it’s what you need.”
He growled.

“You’ll do whatever I tell you to do, understood? My father clearly stated that he made arrangements to check if we are holding ourselves to the rules. So you’ll do as the will specifies.”
The gall of the man was unbelievable; like I had no choice! He didn’t, but I sure as what did!

“I could care less,” I countered, seething, tired of being told what to do. This was the limit. “I don’t want his money. I’m foregoing what he’s leaving me. There. Done.”
He narrowed his eyes at me.

“Fine. You wish to go back onto the streets, then? Because I swear; don’t do your part and I’ll make sure you end up right back where you started with nothing other than the clothes on your back.”
He held up both his hands, as if he were weighing something.
“One year here,” he lifted his left hand, holding the will. Then his right, which was empty. “Street.”

I stared at him. Seriously? He would do that?

“Choose.”

I couldn’t even speak. Heat from anger fought with the cold of his threat that was building up in the pit of my stomach.

“You wouldn’t…”

“Try me,” he said, mimicking my tone from earlier. “You leave and every door that opens to you will be closed quickly after. I’ll set someone on you, night and day if I have to, to find out what you’re up to and block any job opportunity you go after.”

I didn’t, even for one second, entertain the thought of him not carrying it out. Because he’d do it. And relish every moment of it.

“Choose,” he repeated.

Apparently he saw my capitulation on my face; he took an envelope from the desk and held it out. When I reached for it, he held it back, just out of reach.

“There is one more stipulation…and this one is from me, personally.”
Lifting my chin, I didn’t reply but raised an eyebrow. I had to bite my tongue not to tell him what he could do with any stipulation.
“No whoring while you reside under my roof.”

Bastard! I saw red then and didn't think. I shot off my chair and lashed out across the desk, backhanding him hard. He shook his head, once and then slowly returned his gaze, his eyes blazing. A tiny bit of blood showing on his bottom lip.

“You get that one for free. The next you’ll regret,” he promised, touching his cheek and licking the corner of his mouth. “Go to your room. Now.”

Oh, I was. To get my stuff and the hell out of here!

**********

I stormed into the hallway from the study, almost knocking over William, who’d obviously been trying to listen at the door, and taking the staircase, two steps at a time. Once back in my room, I hauled the suitcases onto the bed and began throwing personal items in. I didn’t care if it was neatly folded; I just needed to get out of here or I’d commit murder.

I was about to be done when a soft knock came on my door. I ignored it. Another knock. Then the door opened, and William stuck his head in.

“I come in peace,” he said, waving a white handkerchief.

“Not funny, Will,” I growled, continuing to pack. His eyes fell on the suitcases.

“Ooooh, he’s not gonna like this.”

“I don’t care what he wants,” I blew up. “He can go a…”

“Whoa, whirlwind; came in peace, remember?”
The use of his pet name for me somehow calmed me a little and I deflated some.

Closing the door behind him, he stuffed the handkerchief back in his pocket, then went over to the bed, pushing a suitcase to make some room and sat down.

“Did you really just bitchslap my bro, or was I wishful-hearing things?”

“Damn straight I did.”

“What did he say to make that happen?”

“He said I…”
Just then, the door flew open, banging against the wall, making both Will and me snap straight and as it bounced back, Gregory came in. In one sweep, he surveyed the room, noting the suitcases and the almost emptied closet.

“Will, get out.”
Stiffening, I sought support at the doorsill of the closet as William rose.

“Now Greg, don’t you think you should calm down a l….”

“Out!

“…ittle?”
It took just one glare from his elder brother.
“Oooohkay, outta here.”

It took him all of three seconds to get out, sending me an apologetic look. Deserter.

As the door closed behind him, Gregory turned his attention on me. Same glare. No effect. Instead, I just raised my chin, mentally daring him to come near me. Narrowing his eyes, he took one step towards me. Then stopped. And turned his attention to the suitcases, nodding at them.

“Predictable.”

“I’m doing what I should’ve done a week ago; I’m going home.”

“Your home is here, for the next year to come.”

“I told you I don’t want any part of this.”

“And I told you you’re not going anywhere. You’ll do it and that’s the end of this dramatic play of yours.”

“Or what?”

“Or my promise becomes true. You’ll not even have these,” he picked up a sock from the suitcase, “to take with you. One phone call, and your life is over. You may think you’ll bounce back, but every time you do, I’ll make sure your chances disappear. You’ll have nothing, ever again.”

His best weapon; his power. But threats were just that; threats. And I’d had enough of them.

“You know what?” I answered, taking the last out of the closet and bringing it over, dumping it in the suitcase, “give it your best shot.”
He didn’t say a word. Not until I reached for the lid to close it.

“No. Without.”
I looked up; his face was completely passive, nothing showed. The bleed on his lip had stopped.

“What?”

“I just told you; you won’t have anything but the clothes on your back. Well, these are it. Go.”
He actually meant it?
“Leave.”

And for the first time, I realized I was trapped. Outside it had begun to snow. Unwittingly, I shuddered; I remembered winter in New York, being cold. So cold. If I never felt that cold again, it would be too soon.
I swallowed, then met his gaze.
Oh yes, he meant it alright. Steely resolve shone in his eyes.

He saw I realized it and stepped closer, right up to me. Seconds later, an arm of his snaked around my waist and pulled me against him, tight.

“I didn’t think so,” he said, softly. “Get this into your head; you will never win over me but you’re right about one thing; you should have run when you had the chance.”
His eyes burned into mine and his crotch pushed into me.
“You’re playing with fire. Next time you challenge me, you’ll get burned. Understand?”
His erection twitched.

“Yes sir,” I whispered. The threat was very clear.
His eyes then fell on the envelope I’d thrown on the bed as I’d gotten in. He picked it up.

“Read it. And do as instructed. Or pay the consequences. And that’s my last warning. No more of this.”

Then he left without another word.

**********

I opened the large envelope and carefully read the whole will, re-reading several parts that were full of legal language, and hard to understand at first. There was a lot to be divided, and most of it was done equally among the sons although the most valuable, by far (the apartment on 834th) went to Gregory.
The passages concerning me, although not easy to understand, brought me no way out.

Old Mr. Montgomery had left half the estate in Greenwich to me. No moving out, quietly or otherwise. No selling one’s half to the other. No leaving for months; a week at the most, for work or family affairs; a lawyer had to be notified beforehand. All other options were closed to us but one: live out the year. If there was one bright spot in it, it was that I was released from my duties as a butler, if I chose to do so, although I would still receive my wages. The choice was up to me. Once the year was up, I’d also receive a lump sum of $600,000 dollars, one hundred thousand for every year I had worked for Mr. Montgomery, but only if we fulfilled the terms. Non-compliance would mean nothing for both and on top of that, I’d have to pay back the cost of all the courses he’d sent me on. The sum of the total of that made me blanch. It’d take me years to pay that off!

I couldn’t quite wrap my head around Mr. Montgomery’s reasons. Why would he do this? Hadn’t I done a good job? As far as I could recall, yes. I’d done an excellent job.

So why would he do this to me? He would have known Gregory would not accept it. So why? That, I couldn’t understand.

**********

Both William and Seth, and even Kathleen and the children, were quiet that evening, during dinner. About half an hour after all the excitement, I’d gone down to continue cooking the evening meal. William’s eyes shot from Gregory to me as I served the family, and then he frowned when I retreated to the kitchen. There was no way I’d sit with them; no doubt they all knew all about me by now, filled in by Gregory about my past and God knew what else they thought.

It didn’t take long for William to show up and apparently under protest from his eldest brother.

“Put a sock in it, Greg,” he called back over his shoulder, then sending me a questioning look.

“Why are you sitting here, Chris?” he asked. “Join us.”

“I just think it’s better if I stay out of the family’s way from now on.”

“Rubbish; come, sit with us. You don’t have to sit here, all alone.”
Oh yes I did. Definitely.

William sighed and pulled a chair over.

“Alright; did he threaten you?”
I chewed stoically, not acknowledging whether he was right or wrong.

“He was furious, after he opened the will. I don’t think I’ve ever so him so mad, in my life. And that’s saying something, because I pulled some stunts…” He put his hand on my wrist when I still didn’t react, stopping me from lifting the fork to my mouth. “Okay. I can take a hint, I’ll leave you alone. But promise me this…” He paused, waiting until I looked him in the eye. “Promise me you won’t let Greg get you down. He’s a bullheaded mule and a bully. He’s a control freak, we all know it. Don’t let him boss you around. Stand up to him, like you did. He’ll respect that more than you effacing yourself. He might even back off, if you do it frequently enough and don’t forget he needs you as much as you need him, to fulfill the terms. You’re not an employee anymore, unless you decide you still are. Are you?”

I shrugged. I was good at my work, I knew that. I loved doing it to, but be a butler to Greg? Never.
Going up against him? I’d never win; he’d made that pretty clear. And I believed it. There was no way I could best him, physically, financially; there was no chance in hell. I’d have to do exactly as he wanted, and on top of that, be very, very careful not to provoke him.
No, standing up to him would not be a good idea. Avoiding would be the credo of this year now.

“Well, whatever you choose to do… you’re your own man, now. And if there’s anything I can do for you, let me know, okay? Promise me that?”

He didn’t let go until I promised. Then he left, leaving me alone with a half empty plate and a whirlwind of thoughts.

“I’m so screwed,” I whispered to the pots and pans around me.

First blood...

Edited: 03/29/2018
(Removed unnecessary dialogue creating confusion, changed some wording and Chris's original name, when i first invented the story had crept into this one!)
Copyright © 2018 Andr0gene; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 11
  • Wow 8
  • Sad 6
  • Angry 7
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The more I get to know Gregory, the more I dislike him. Gah! What an annoying bully. Mr. Montgomery is something else entirety, lol. Crafty old man.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Just now, Dazzling13 said:

The more I get to know Gregory, the more I dislike him. Gah! What an annoying bully. Mr. Montgomery is something else entirety, lol. Crafty old man.

 

Makes you wonder why, no? ;) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
27 minutes ago, Andr0gene said:

 

Makes you wonder why, no? ;) 

For sure. What made Greg change, is my biggest question now. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Waiting for the plot to unfold. A few hints here and there of what's to come. Can't wait to see how we get there. Cheers 😁

  • Like 1
Link to comment

He can't afford to put the butler to far of side or he walks. Much of what Gregory is doing is poorly carried out bluffing in the guise of bullying. Badly done at that.And he badly wants the house but at what price? It seems he would sell his soul for it!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is a well written character study. I stop reading here though. No offense to the author. As someone who lives a D/s lifestyle, finding issue. This is starting to border on slavery by threats and intimidation. D/s is a partnership with willing partners. A Dom doesn’t beat a sub.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

What. The. F^*k?!?!

That whole situation shows miserable Gregory is-first he accused Chris of whoring himself to his dad & then "forbids" him to leave (which Christopher wouldn't want to do if he was a gold digger).  Yeah, I get the terms of the will but G is in no position to order C around like that, especially since he won't be a butler the year that he's there.

AND Christopher is taking this from him!!

You've got people good and bothered with this story, 😄😳.

I see additional chapter posted today....CHAAAAARGE!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

This is a well written character study. I stop reading here though. No offense to the author. As someone who lives a D/s lifestyle, finding issue. This is starting to border on slavery by threats and intimidation. D/s is a partnership with willing partners. A Dom doesn’t beat a sub.

 

No offense taken, BA. I thank you for reading this far. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Why doesn't Chris puts all in the open with the other brothers? What Greg did was borderline crime. Violence, intimidation, sexual aggression... Poison would be an appropriate cocktail to serve Greg, if it was not dangerous for Chris.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Just now, Sweetlion said:

Why doesn't Chris puts all in the open with the other brothers? What Greg did was borderline crime. Violence, intimidation, sexual aggression... Poison would be an appropriate cocktail to serve Greg, if it was not dangerous for Chris.

 

 

TBH, I'd have put arsenic in his food by now, lol!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 3/19/2018 at 8:43 PM, BlindAmbition said:

This is a well written character study. I stop reading here though. No offense to the author. As someone who lives a D/s lifestyle, finding issue. This is starting to border on slavery by threats and intimidation. D/s is a partnership with willing partners. A Dom doesn’t beat a sub.

 

Well, perhaps that's the lesson Greg needs to learn ? And by this point we don't know why he's behaving like this. The explanation had better be good.

Spoiler

If you read all the way to chapter XIX you'll find out. :yes: 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

 

Well, perhaps that's the lesson Greg needs to learn ? And by this point we don't know why he's behaving like this. The explanation had better be good.

  Reveal hidden contents

If you read all the way to chapter XIX you'll find out. :yes: 

 

Thanks Tim. I have read through. Anders  let me know things were changing. 

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hmmm so was old Mr. Montgomery playing a matchmaker for Greg and Chris in his will? Why else was he so specific that they have to live together for one year without leaving? Also, the other two brothers are useless, it seems that they have no say in anything even though they 'try' to help Chris. Greg always ends up calling the shots.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 6/28/2018 at 8:14 PM, ObicanDecko said:

Hmmm so was old Mr. Montgomery playing a matchmaker for Greg and Chris in his will? Why else was he so specific that they have to live together for one year without leaving? Also, the other two brothers are useless, it seems that they have no say in anything even though they 'try' to help Chris. Greg always ends up calling the shots.

Bingo.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..