Jump to content
    Andr0gene
  • Author
  • 1,104 Words
  • 9,682 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The House Always Wins - 13. Chapter 13

CHAPTER 13

I guess I'd been pretty tired, because I never heard or noticed it when Michael turned in for the night. When I woke up the next day, he was already gone.

Later that morning, I asked Olivia if she wanted to come with me to go buy the game console. She accepted the invitation, and we spent the next two hours on the town, visiting several stores. It was fun to introduce her into the world of videogames, and she looked at it all wide-eyed and amazed. I bought the console, two controllers and several games, almost drooling when the sales clerk showed me the latest surround sound system for the X-Box. But I didn't think Michael would be too happy if I blew out the windows of the place. Still, it was a nice piece of equipment, and I definitely would buy it when I was on my own; screw the neighbors, right?

I opted for cordless headphones for now, which clearly chagrined the clerk. Bye, bye commission, was probably his line of thought. But when I handed over the credit card, he became very helpful, suddenly remembering some other gadgets I just had to have. I so wasn't interested. Tempted, sure, but this was fine for now. No need to go out on a spree.

Well...maybe not this time...

**********

We came home a little after 1pm, already having lunched at a MacDonald's; Olivia had never visited one before, she admitted. She was giddy like a schoolgirl when we got back, partly because I'd demanded the toy that kids normally get with a Happy Meal, and she babbled my ears off about it, somewhat hurt that I'd had to ask for it; like older people had no right to the toy. Okay, it was a matter of principle, because she didn't really care for the toy itself.

When the door of the elevator opened and I walked out with my arms full, I didn't see that Michael was home; it wasn't a big surprise then that I almost dropped everything when his voice harshly began to tear into us as soon as we stepped out, stopping us dead in our tracks.

"Finally! I make an effort to take time out for lunch, time out of an already hectic daily schedule; the least you two can do is be here," he moodily barked, "especially you, Mother. I thought you were here visiting me, but if you'd rather go out gallivanting around Las Vegas toy stores..."

"Oh, do shut up," she cut him off, causing a baffled expression to appear on his face. "Besides, we've already had lunch. Look, I brought you a present."

She threw the toy figurine to him, which he deftly caught.

"Now be a good boy, and help Jason instead of just standing there, screaming at us; he's not a pack mule, you inconsiderate ape."

"No, I've got it," I said, not wanting to aggravate him any further. But he took a few boxes, lightening the load.

"You could have called. I left you five messages," he said softly, grumpily.

"Sorry, I forgot my cell," I replied, blushing.

I put the boxes on the sofa and, from the corner of my eye, saw Olivia watching. So, as soon as Michael had put his on the sofa next to them, I put a hand on his shoulder and kissed his cheek. He managed to crank out a forgiving smile and pulled me close for a few seconds.

"Alright, you're forgiven. What is all this?" He gestured to the boxes.

"Ah. X-box, games, headphones and some other...stuff," I said, grinning.

The ‘other stuff' consisted of a memory expansion for my laptop, a few books, and a Calvin Klein bag filled with silk ties in many colors.

He picked up the bag and gave me a questioning look.

"We were passing the CK store, and I mentioned something about your ties," I explained. "That they're kinda...boring. Plain."

"Gee, thanks," he said, back in grumpy mode.

What...no good? I sent Olivia an insecure frown; maybe this hadn't been such a good idea? At the time it seemed to be; she told me to do it.

"I can take them back..." I said softly.

I reached for the bag but he held it out of reach and slipped an arm around my middle, planting a warm kiss full on my lips.

"No, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. Thank you."

He kissed me again, letting it linger a little longer. Then, when he looked up again, he let go. "She's gone."

I looked behind us and saw that Olivia had disappeared; probably gone to her room. I took a step back, away from his imposing form, and sighed, relieved that that act was over.

He held up the bag and a corner of his mouth lifted up. "Nice touch."

"Yeah, until you almost blew it," I replied, taking off my jacket. "We need some sort of signal."

"We just have to get used to it, that's all."

"Get used to what?" Olivia's voice spoke up, returning from her room.

I bit my lower lip guiltily but Michael caught this one.

"Wearing these," he said quickly.

"Oh, that. Well, you may want to listen to Jason on this one; he's got good taste."

I genuinely blushed this time.

"Not that you don't, of course," she said, putting an assuring hand on his arm.

"Right," he mumbled. "Well, if you two have already had lunch, I'll go back down and see if the chef has some spare morsels for me."

The way he said that was downright cute, and I grinned, adding affection by slipping an arm underneath his jacket and around his waist, grazing his cheek.

"Won't happen again," I promised.

"Yes, and we both know that if there's one thing you can't promise, it's being on time," he smiled, slightly narrowing his eyes, questioningly.

Very good guess; I'm a disaster with it.

"Pffft... You said it was charming," I retorted, barely nodding that his guess was correct.

He smiled again and covered my lips with his, softly slapping my ass. Hey!

"I'll see you both at dinner," he grinned. "And if you're late, there'll be hell to pay."

"Michael Bartholomew Black!" His mother spoke chidingly. "Don't you speak to me that way."

"I didn't mean you, Mother," he snickered, nodding towards me and winked. "I meant him."

Olivia actually blushed, and I joined her. The look in his eyes had been somewhat...heated, and that last kiss? He'd tried going for a real one; sneaky bastard.

Minor corrections.
andr0gene 2004-Present
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 8/23/2013 at 2:53 AM, Daithi said:

It's not taking them long to relax around each other. Great story very funny so far.

Not long??!?  I'd have shoved my tongue down his throat AGES ago LMAO

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..