Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 534 Words
  • 1,813 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andy's Shorts to GA Prompts - 12. Prompt #77

The news has announced that the age old legend about dragons is no legend. The skeleton of a massive dragon has been found in the hills not far from your home. The thing is you knew it was no legend. In fact you are guarding the last egg of this race. What do you do now?

So they have found the remains of Yddraigfawr in the Chilterns. The Ddraig-Cyfrinachau have kept the existence of dragons a secret for nearly three millennia and now some damned fortune hunter lucks into what the newspapers are calling “the greatest myth bust of all time”.

The media are celebrating the discovery, whilst I am in mourning over the desecration of our most holy of sites. Even to our society Yddraigfawr was for millennia believed to be a myth until her final resting place was discovered in the Year of our Lord 1642. She was, and even in spite of proof of her existence, remains to this day revered as a deity by all those who believe.

My name is Thomas and I was six when I was finally told the truth about the existence of dragons and the role my family has played in the protection of, and devotion to, these great creatures. I am the twenty-seventh in my family to serve in the role of Ceidwadwy, and in my care is the greatest treasure in the world; the last remaining dragon egg. My family have been in the Ddraig-Cyfrinachau since long before the Roman invasion of Britain, and as such I am sadly aware of our laws. The last dragon died about a hundred years ago and although I’m not sure of how long these majestic creatures remain in their larval form prior to hatching, I believe it’s around two hundred years.

I packed the egg and trudged off most reluctantly to our sanctuary near the village of Llanbedr in Monmouthshire at the base of Mynydd Pen-y-Fal, The Sugar Loaf. In my father’s day this was a two day journey, in his father’s day this was a five day journey and three hundred years ago this was nearly a three week journey; today for me, this is a mere eighteen hours from my house in West London. Eighteen hours until my meeting with destiny.

I arrived near midnight, and was greeted by the duty docent, “We have been expecting you.”

“It is a tragedy I am here under the current circumstances.”

“The Inner Council of the Ddraig-Cyfrinachau are in session. I have been ordered to show you straight through to the chambers. Please follow me.”

I followed the elderly docent. As we entered the inner chamber, we paused to pay our respects to the sculpture of Yddraigfawr sculpted from a piece of her tailbone. In the presence of this icon which is at the core of our society, I felt an even deeper sense of trepidation at what must come to pass.

I entered the council chambers and bowed respectfully. “I am here as protocol demands.”

“You have the egg?”

“I do.”

“We have finished destroying our records and the original Ddraig Llyfr, our most sacred of texts. There is now no evidence remaining of the existence of our order or our faith. You are here because in the current circumstances protocol demands you to commit the final act.”

“I beg the forgiveness of Yddraigfawr and all those who have given their lives in the protection of the dragon.” With that, I smashed the egg on the floor and wept.

Link to prompt

The news has announced that the age old legend about dragons is no legend. The skeleton of a massive dragon has been found in the hills not far from your home. The thing is you knew it was no legend. In fact you are guarding the last egg of this race. What do you do now?
Pronunciation guide (The following proper names are all derived from Welsh):
Yddraigfawr is pronounced “Uh-thryg-vow-er”
Ceidwadwy is pronounced “Keye-doo-ad-oo-e”
Ddraig-Cyfrinachau is pronounced “Thryg Kuh-vrin-ach-eye”
Ddraig Llyfr is pronounced “Thryg luh-vir”
Mynydd Pen-y-Fal is pronounced “Munith Penny-Val” – this mountain really exists (as does the village of Llanbedr)
Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Aww. That is truly sad. I wasn't expecting that. I figured the meeting was to see how best to protect the egg not to see is smashed. Interesting use of the prompt though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/26/2012 01:48 AM, comicfan said:
Aww. That is truly sad. I wasn't expecting that. I figured the meeting was to see how best to protect the egg not to see is smashed. Interesting use of the prompt though.
It did end up darker than I'd originally planned and I have no idea how (lol). Nice to know I can still throw curveballs though.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..