Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 712 Words
  • 1,731 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andy's Shorts to GA Prompts - 3. Prompt #95

The idea of a Mirror Universe isn't a new one. There you find a world so similar but yet so different. Now it is your turn to turn a universe on its ear. Pick a story you have written that is short and something you enjoy. Now alter one major event that happened that would completely alter the story. Now retell it

My secondary school has decided to have an end of year dance for the year nine kids and we are supposed to ask someone to accompany us to the dance as our date.

I’ve had my eye on Kim for the past few months. That long blond hair; those deep blue eyes; that really cute butt; the loveliest laugh I have ever heard. I am so the smitten kitten. My notebook even has little hearts with “I love Kim” written inside them.

I’ve already had Sally, Tina and Maxine dropping big hints that they want me to ask them. Now don’t get me wrong, they are the three most popular girls in my year, not to mention the prettiest. But they’re not Kim. When I look at him, my heart goes pitty-pat, my breathing slows and I get this warm giddy feeling.

I know Kim is gay; I’ve seen him taking overly long looks at the other boys in the shower and I’ve seen him with a couple of the boys in my class – one of them is also a friend of mine, and he’s told me what happens on their sleepovers.

As you’ve probably guessed, I’m gay. I suppose deep down I’ve always known, but earlier this year I finally admitted it to myself. A few weeks ago, I admitted it to my parents.

I’m out of time; the dance is on Friday and if I don’t ask one of them at lunch today to go with me I’m going to end up going on my own and looking a right Billy-No-Mates. The only question is do I conform to the accepted social norm and ask one of the girls, or do I dare ask Kim? I know I’ll enjoy the dance with any of the girls, but if I could go with Kim I know I’d really really enjoy myself.

After a debate of about two seconds I decided to grow a pair and ask Kim. I spied him sitting at a table on his own eating his lunch so I walked over – my heart rate increasing with each step; my breathing getting faster; my body flooding with adrenaline.

“Kim, can I ask you something?”

“Sure Matty, have a seat.”

Now we’re not particularly close as friends go. We have three classes a week together and we’ve always been friendly; just we’d not really call each other friends, more like classmates.

“Matty, are you OK?”

“Kim,” I started. My brain yelling at me ‘why are doing this’; my heart screaming even louder ‘why are you hesitating’. “Kim,” I started again, taking a very deep breath. “Will you go with me to the dance on Friday, as my date?” There I said it. I was so nervous; my heart was beating faster than a hummingbird’s; I felt nauseous.

A smile crossed his face, his eyes betraying his joyous emotions at me asking him. “I’d love to Matty.” He jumped out of his seat, and swept me up in his arms, giving me a quick kiss on the lips. I glanced around the lunch hall checking out the reaction to Kim outing the both of us. I was relieved to see lots of smiling faces, a few appreciative nods and riding the emotional wave, I wrapped Kim up in my embrace and returned his kiss, only much more passionately and enthusiastically. The entire lunch hall erupted with applause and cheering students. I had never felt so happy in my whole life; and I still had the dance to look forward to.

When I got home, my mum was in the kitchen. “Mum, I’ve got a date for the school dance.”

“That’s great honey. Who is it? Sally, Tina or Maxine?”

“Mum, don’t. I’m gay remember. It’s a boy in my year called Kim.”

“Sorry, honey. I was only teasing. But will there be any problems because of it? You know not everyone will be accepting.”

“There shouldn’t be any problems. We kissed each other in front of practically the whole school in the dining hall. If anything was going to be said, then surely it was then.” I skipped upstairs to my bedroom, opened my diary and began writing:

Dear diary,

I am so happy.

Link to prompt

The idea of a Mirror Universe isn't a new one. There you find a world so similar but yet so different. Now it is your turn to turn a universe on its ear. Pick a story you have written that is short and something you enjoy. Now alter one major event that happened that would completely alter the story. Now retell it
For this prompt I used my story Scool Dance which you can read http://www.gayauthors.org/story/andy021278/schooldance
Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

So instead of hiding who they are in your mirror world the character comes out and asks the boy they love. Interesting use of an idea. Now care to link it to the prompt so everyone can read it? lol.

Link to comment
On 02/19/2012 01:59 PM, comicfan said:
So instead of hiding who they are in your mirror world the character comes out and asks the boy they love. Interesting use of an idea. Now care to link it to the prompt so everyone can read it? lol.
Thanks for the feedback. I thought I had included a link to the prompt - oh well early onset dementia. Have added a link.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..