Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 1,036 Words
  • 942 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Andy's Shorts to GA Prompts - 22. One word prompts (1-10)


Grab a word and write a drabble type story to go with it.
I've used the literal meaning of a drabble, which a story of one hundred words.

01.Numb

I was standing at the stop waiting for my bus. I’d been waiting for twenty minutes in the snow and the ice cold wind, but that bleakness was nothing compared to what I had run from. I was numb from the winter sure, but that was nothing compared to the numbness in my soul.

I had gone round to my boyfriend’s house to surprise him since I had the day off work. I walked into our bedroom and found him in bed with Jace, my ex-boyfriend. My heart broke in two and my life felt as though it was over.

 

02. Listen

I sat at the console and watched the lights flash; the tech on duty read his book. We were both bored stupid. I’d love to meet the person who decided this assignment was important. We’ve been sat at these terminals for years and nothing exciting has ever happened.

I glanced at the calendar and noted today was my friend’s birthday, where has the time gone? Only feels like spring was yesterday.

The tech tapped me on the shoulder; he seemed very excited. “Dr Ehman, listen.”

“Wow!” was all I could say.

August 15th 1977 will be remembered forever I thought.

 

03. Deep

The two of us have been in this bathyscaphe for 34 hours now. We hit an underwater rock of some kind and we’re stuck on the seabed. I’ve sent out an SOS but I don’t think the radio works. Our oxygen supply has just run out; the tanks must have been damaged on impact, there was 72 hours supply when we left the ship.

We are 3400 metres down, and this deep below the surface the ocean is freezing. We can only sit here and wait and pray for rescue.

I have never been so scared in all my life.

 

04. Inside

It’s been twelve years. I still remember the words of the judge as he told me I would die in prison; that I was unfit to be a member of society.

I spend twenty three hours a day staring at these four walls. There’s a guard with me when I shower; there’s a guard with me when I eat; there’s a guard with me when my family visit; there’s even a damned guard with me when I pee.

There have been times when I wish we had the death sentence; at least I wouldn’t have to deal with this misery.

 

05. Habit

I saw her from the street corner. I don’t know why I picked her tonight, just something about her. I need money, and I need it now. If I have to snatch a few purses, then so be it. I don’t expect you to understand, I don’t expect you to care about my reasons for doing what I do, and I’m sure as shit not looking for any sympathy or pity from you.

I saw my opportunity. I ran towards my victim and knocked her to the ground. Only then did I realise she was wearing a habit and wimple.

 

06. Easier

My name is James. I was caught in a compromising position with my friend Sam last night by his folks. They are insanely homophobic, and so deeply religious it’s not even funny. We are both so in love with each other and have been for nearly four years, since we saw each other on our first day at school. We told his parents that we were wrestling and I think they believed us. I hated myself for lying, but they’ll never accept us.

I guess the saying is true, that it is easier to lie than to tell the truth.

 

07. Breaking

They finally gave in to my whinging and whining. After months of listening to it, my parents finally allowed me to build a tree house. I’d worked on it day and night for months. I’d put up curtains, laid down a carpet and even set up a small portable TV.

I was in my tree house with my friends Jake and Toby, giggling over a Playboy like the adolescents we are. I heard a loud snap. I realised it was one of the larger branches in the tree breaking.

The next thing I knew, I was hurtling towards the ground.

 

08. Run

It was a dark cold night in December. Tommy and I crept quietly towards the door. The ground was still covered from the recent snowfall and we were both wrapped up in our coats, hats, gloves and scarves. Our hearts were beating double time in our chests and our breath fogged in front of us.

We were so scared as we closed the distance. The lights in the front room were on, as were the hall lights. We’d done this twice before and we’d almost got caught the last time. I rang on the doorbell and mouthed to Tommy, “Run.”

 

09. Bottom

I’ve just been told my role in our school play. I was hoping for the male lead, but that has been given to Michael Shunnessey. Granted I just wanted the chance to kiss Lizzie McCallen, but damn it I know the lines better than Michael ever will.

Our English teacher allowed us to choose what play we were going to put on this year. Allowing thirty-two thirteen year olds to decide something like that themselves was asking for trouble; we finally agreed A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Instead of Oberon, the King of the Fairies, I get the role of Bottom.

 

10. Hit

I sat in silence. I saw her turn the corner. Seven o’clock on the dot; just like every morning. I was told her name is Joanna. I have no idea what she has done to deserve this, and to be honest, I didn’t ask; I never ask.

In my profession, it’s simple: I get a name and a fee; knowing the details will only make my life and my job complicated.

I watched as she purchased her morning coffee. I walked silently by, slipped the foxglove into her coffee, and settled in to watch the outcome.

Hit number thirty successful.

 

Link to prompt


Grab a word and write a drabble type story to go with it.
I've used the literal meaning of a drabble, which a story of one hundred words.
Copyright © 2012 Andy78; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..