Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Parity - 3. Veikko

Veikko's obnoxious attitude and rudeness cause him to fall out of favour with his friends, but it has a different effect on someone else.

Mmm, recess is actually lonely when your friends are fucking traitors, Veikko thought angrily to himself. Exiled by the group because he refused to coexist with Topher Lynch, who Dom and Selena had adopted as their tragic new pet, apparently. No way am I apologising to him. Not only did he watch his friend beat the shit out of me, but Topher stole my friends! Why would Dom ditch me for that Catholic cunt? He seems to have a habit of leaving me these days. Veikko didn't know what do to with himself without his friends and his brother around.

Sitting alone in the empty art room and browsing the comments on his vlogs seemed like a great way to pass the time. Most of them were sweet and supportive. Usually, those were teenage girls or other gay boys. Sometimes men three times his age too, but a compliment is a compliment! Veikko drew his fair share of haters, but he didn't mind them. He just hid their comments and moved on. Chemistry was the next double period lesson. Veikko loved chemistry and the other sciences; he was taking all of them this year, as well as Psychology and the advanced Maths class. Reima was in Chemistry, Psychology and Biology, but he did not fancy physics and did not possess the same analytical brain as his brother. When Veikko arrived back at the homeroom, he almost knocked Reima over. He'd already come and collected his books.

"AHH, Earth to Rei!" He pushed his twin brother back. "You are so not going to class without me!"

"AHH, I think I was," Reima replied to him flatly. Ugh, why are you all such bitches? It's only Topher Lynch. Like, who cares? Did we all become homophobe lovers or something? Veikko slipped back into the room and Reima followed him. Thank you, Rei. Neither Selena nor Dom were in Chemistry, so he had his brother to himself. That fat mole won't steal him from me there.

"Are you mad at me?" Veikko asked bluntly as he strained to reach his books. Five two. I'm still only five two. Why haven't I grown yet? Reima looked him in the eyes. Hazel, with shades of gold, green and orange and flecks of black. They shared their mother's eyes - thankfully!

"Not really," Reima shrugged easily. Such an easy going person, aren't you? Everyone's friend. Everyone's buddy. Hmph. How simple that must be for you. "I'm just not surprised, that's all. You like to make a scene."

"I did not even make a scene!" Veikko clicked his tongue against the roof of his mouth. "That was nothing! If I wanted to, I would have!"

"Then I s'pose Topher got off lightly," Reima grinned. "I think that was a pretty awful thing to do, Veik. You pissed both Dom and Selena off pretty bad."

"You hate Lynch as much as I do!" Veikko reminded him, and Reima's eyes glossed over a bit, and he shifted uncomfortably.

"Yeah, maybe at one point," Reima agreed. He was itching to go to their lesson before they were late, and Veikko mercifully nodded sideways to show he was ready to make the journey. "That was a long time ago. I don't see why you have to always be fighting with someone. If you're gonna start shit, then you're gonna do it by yourself."

"Please don't be mad at me though, Rei," Veikko suspended his attitude briefly, and for a tiny moment, he was vulnerable and worried.

"Relax, dude," Reima reassured him, speaking quietly as they walked side by side. They walked at the same speed, in the same way, every time. "If I got mad every time you were rude to someone then we'd never be speaking. I always have your back. You know that. Just... yeah, you should probably say you're sorry."

"AHH, excuse you! I have nothing to apologise for, actually!" Veikko's defences immediately came back up and Reima rolled his eyes. "I never got an apology, did I? Why should he get one?"

"You might have if you didn't tell him to fuck off," Reima pointed out, but Veikko didn't have anything to say to that. They were going in circles!

The lesson was enjoyable. Veikko was a bright student, intelligent and motivated. Reima was not by any means slow or lazy, but he was adequate at best. Rather than take joy in his brother's failures though, Veikko found more satisfaction in making sure Reima never fell behind. The two of them had never sat apart during a lesson ever since kindergarten. Mrs Bergstein tried to split them up in their Eighth Year, but Vilma intervened at once, requesting that her sons be permitted to sit together.

"Reima needs Veikko's help sometimes," Veikko remembered overhearing her arguing on the phone. "And Veikko needs Reima's company."

He remembered that phone call a lot when he sat with Reima, who had been fortunate enough not to eavesdrop on that conversation.

"Please don't leave me at lunch," Veikko begged quietly, and Reima looked at him, totally confused.

"I'm gonna eat with my girlfriend in the place we've had lunch for four years," Reima replied, doodling on his brand new textbook with his pen. "You're the one who's leaving me."

"AHH, no, that's a lie," Veikko corrected him, spreading his palm in Reima's face. "YOUR girlfriend won't let me come back."

"AHH," Reima mimicked him in a sarcastic voice. "Only until you tell Topher you're sorry for being such a dickhead to him this morning."

"I can't do that!" Veikko grabbed Reima by the arm, just in case he was thinking about absconding during the lesson for some reason. Reima rolled his eyes. "Ugh, okay, I'm working up to it! I hate that word, alright? I hate saying it."

"You mean sorry?" Reima chewed on the back of his pen. Veikko never borrowed any writing tools from his brother for this reason. "You say sorry to me all the time."

"It's different with you," Veikko looked down at his textbook. "Okay, maybe I was out of line with him, but I don't want to admit it!"

"You're admitting it right now," Reima brushed his brother's hand off his arm and sighed. "You don't make any sense to me."

"It's different with you!" Veikko repeated, a little annoyed. Is he even listening? Keep up, Rei. "I can't go back on what I said. That makes me look even worse than I already do."

"Veik, just do it already," Reima was taking Topher's side, and that was hurting Veikko's feelings. You're supposed to have my back. You promised you did. You swore you always would. "You've known Dom since primary school, Selena since kindergarten and we chilled together in Mum's belly for eight months, so it's not like we don't know you. You're not gonna look like a loser if you man up and tell Toph you're sorry for what you said, but you're gonna piss everyone off even more if you don't. It's up to you, alright?"

"UGH, I knew I should have gone to Finland!" Veikko grumbled.

"Nah, you'd miss me," Reima teased him. Veikko grinned. When he was thirteen and recovering from the brutal attack at the hand of their father, all he wanted was to go and live in Finland with his extended family. Away from the death, the violence and the nightmares. Somewhere beautiful. When he finally convinced his mother that it was the only way he could ever feel happy or safe again and his aunt and uncle were ready to give him a new life, Veikko realised in the nick of time that he couldn't do it. Reima would not be going with him, and he couldn't bear the thought of being so far away from his brother. Reima made that promise to take care of him if he stayed, so he did. I missed you so much and I didn't even leave. How do you always make everything so much better, Rei? I should tell you I love you more, but... I just can't. I'm sorry.

While Ms Meade shot them a few glares, she let the boys work and learn together. Peatsland was a private school that prided itself on its flexibility when it came to providing the best education it could to its students. For starters, it didn't enforce a school uniform rule, so students were free to wear what they liked - within reason. Vilma thought this was important for her two boys, wanting them to express themselves as individuals. The privilege afforded to the twins, requested by their mother, was that Veikko had the freedom to help his brother keep up. If Reima didn't understand some of the lecture or demonstration, Veikko would spend as much time as necessary making sure he didn't get left behind.

When the double period of chemistry concluded, Reima left quickly, likely wanting to spend as much time with stupid Selena as he could. Damn it, Rei! Veikko reluctantly picked everything up and followed his brother.

"What do I say?" Veikko quickly caught up and whispered. Selena and Dom weren't around, but he didn't want to take the risk of word getting back to them by anyone eavesdropping. They all loved to gossip about him. He didn't want to give them anything.

"Oh, I have a good start," Reima was sarcastic in his reply. "Hey, Topher, sorry I told you to fuck off, I'm this weird combination of insecure and narcissistic and I drive my brother insane sometimes."

"Ahh, well the start of that start was good, maybe I'll stick to that," Veikko tried his best not to bite his brother's head off for that reply.

"Fuckin' hell, just say you're sorry! It's an apology, not negotiating a ransom or something, get a hold of yourself," Reima groaned. "You really are starting to drive me insane!"

"AHH don't be so rude to me," Veikko raised his voice. "If I can spend ten minutes teaching you how to calculate molar mass, you can spare a few seconds to help me out with this... crap."
"Thanks for your help, Veik," Reima snapped at him. "But I'm pretty done with this. It's our first day, man! Why am I spending it listening to you being an arsehole then whining about it? I get that enough at home. Just make it easy on yourself for once, can you? And me, for that matter. I'm not getting into shit with Selena and Dom just because you have pride issues."

The conversation ended there. Reima very rarely ever raised his voice or spoke harshly, but when he did, Veikko knew he'd crossed a line. He always felt horrible about it. Rei is the sweetest person in the whole world. He deserves a better brother than me. Veikko stared from a distance at his friends in the homeroom as the students flooded back to put their textbooks away and fish out their lunch or their money. That included Topher. Look at him, Veikko had thought bitterly while the boy was chatting and laughing with Dominic. Dom is mine. My friend, my lover. All of a sudden, the intense feelings of hatred and paranoia came flooding back. Excuse you, Christopher, just who do you think you are? Nearly six feet tall with blue eyes, pretty white hair and a fit, lean body. Tsk. He supposed he couldn't blame Dom for having his tongue hanging out of his mouth, but how dare he? All I've ever done is love him! How could he do this to me?

"Dom," Veikko snapped his fingers several times to get his friend's attention. He was a beautiful guy. He always had been! Huge. Tall and brown with muscles and even a little layer of puppy fat he hadn't lost yet. The brown eyes, the dark, wavy brown hair on his head. The organ he packed in his pants that was big even in proportion to the rest of his massive body. I'm not going to lose him to Topher. No way. I've been chasing him for four years. If Dom thinks he can ignore me, he can think again!

"What's up, Koko?" Dom sounded tired. Not as though he needed a nap, but a different kind of tired. "Did you have fun in chemistry?"

"It was a hoot and a half," Veikko brushed him off. Topher's eyes watched from behind him. He was difficult to read, and that pissed Veikko off. He wanted emotions. He wanted to know what he was dealing with. This silent stalker deal was so frustrating! "Why are you avoiding me?"

"I'm not," Dom retorted, folding his thick arms. "It's just been a few hours, buddy! Showing Toph around the school during recess hardly counts as avoiding you and it's not my fault you chose chemistry instead of history." Hah. History with Mr Leach? As if Dom needed another reason to inject himself with enough heroin to kill a family of elephants. To leave me forever, like he tried to do! Why would Dom ever do that to him? To try to kill himself? What would I ever do without him?

"You hurt my feelings!" Veikko blurted out, loud enough for Topher to hear him. Reima and Selena as well. Dom sighed. He knew he wasn't just talking about what happened earlier that day. Veikko could see it in his eyes.

"And you really hurt mine," he replied before turning his back and exiting the room, Topher following him. Did I? When did I hurt his feelings? Is this why he's punishing me? Reima and Selena looked at him before they took their leave as well.

He began the journey down to the ground floor so he could be with his friends, but the anxiety ate away at him after he made it down three flights of stairs. I can't do this. I can't believe it. I just... no. I can't. I won't! He made the journey back upstairs. Maybe I can hide in the homeroom and not be a total loser.

"AHH excuse you?" Veikko asked loudly when he saw that blue-haired freak from the other Eleventh Year homeroom sitting on top of the lockers. "What do you think you're doing in here?"

"Probs the same as you," he replied in a throaty voice. His long, feathery blue hair often covered most of his face. He had piercings in both sides of his lower lip, two studs in his left nostril and small stretchers in both ears. The very low cut t-shirt he was wearing exposed some of the awesome dragon-based tattoos that circled his entire torso.

"MM I think not, or you wouldn't be perched up there like some weirdo," Veikko folded his arms and stared up at the cross-legged Japanese fellow. He was covered in ink and piercings and he was only sixteen years old. How did he get so much ink before he was legally allowed? He was a thug. A criminal. That's how. "See the thing is that this isn't your homeroom, it's mine, so what are you doing here Maverick? Were you hoping to run into me again? I've missed you since our last encounter."

"You talk a lot of shit for someone walking around without his bodyguard," Maverick snickered and tossed his hair to the side, exposing some of his left teardrop-shaped eye. He had sharp features, Veikko noticed. "What, you two have a lover's quarrel or something? I never see you by yourself. You look even shorter."

"What... the fuck... are you doing here?" Veikko asked again, his voice dripping with dislike. "Writing faggot in my locker again? Or looking for things to steal? Wait, it's the yoghurt in my bag, I bet!"

"Literally just hanging out," Maverick leaned forward. "McLeod's in my homeroom, so I came up here to mind my own business. You're not even a blip on the radar, gayboy. What about you, huh? Why are you up here by yourself without your friends?"

"Ooh, that's my secret," Veikko grinned, sitting down on the chair. Maverick was surprisingly civil to him - as far as that particular aberration could. "Perhaps I'm here to steal from people's lockers and you just beat me to it. Not that I imagine anyone here has anything worth stealing in the first place!"

"You talk too much, Carlisle," Maverick snorted. "Wish I had a cake to shove your face in." Ooh, the plot thickens. Veikko clicked his tongue. He knows about the cake!

"It's better than moisturiser from a bottle, cupcake," he giggled. "You should try it one day. It tastes a lot better, too."

"No shit, you looked like you were the chick in a bukkake," Maverick laughed, and Veikko, in spite of his ill will towards Matsuda, laughed as well. In fairness, it did look a bit like that.

"A bukkake? No, dear, it's not my birthday," Veikko winked, and Maverick rolled what Veikko could see of his one eye. "So, you like to watch my videos, hmm? I didn't peg you for a fan when you hate my fucking guts."

"I don't hate you any more than any of the other fuckers in this dump," Maverick shrugged and flexed his arms, grunting in joy as they cracked at the shoulders and elbows. "Like I said. Not a blip on the radar."

"Then you wouldn't be watching my videos, would you?" Veikko smirked, knowing he had the boy beaten. Maverick sniffed and clapped his hands together.

"Alright, fuck you, I like your channel, alright?" Maverick admitted and Veikko saw him smile underneath his long fringe. It was teased, fluffy and reached the boy's chin, while the hair on the sides and back of his head tumbled to his shoulders. Why would you do that to yourself?

"Ahhm, by the way, cupcake... that emo fad died a long time ago," Veikko used his finger to point at the skinny jeans, the black gothic t-shirt and the hair coupled with the piercings. "For a good reason too, it's ugly as shit."

"You're feisty!" Maverick grinned down at him. "It's coz you want me, I bet."

"No, I don't think so," Veikko sat down on one of the desks. "You're the one who couldn't keep his hands off me, don't you remember? I sure do! My nose is still a little crooked, thanks to you!"

After Maverick shoved Veikko face first into the wall near the end of Ninth Year, he received the kiss of life for his trouble. Dom easily took the Japanese boy to the floor and restrained his wrists in an iron grip while Veikko was then free to kiss his nemesis on the lips passionately and ruthlessly. While he still received homophobic comments, that was the last time anyone at Peatsland had ever put their hands on Veikko. He didn't mind the insults, but he would never let anyone get away with physically assaulting him.

"I don't get how you never got suspended or expelled for pulling that shit," Maverick shook his head. "That was sexual assault. They always give the poor gay kids extra privileges, hey?"

"Well, when they realised you busted my gorgeous face, I think they probably did feel sorry for me," Veikko's reply wasn't as facetious as normal. He was bitter and angry this time.

"Sexual assault? Awwww, you poor baby! You started that shit. I finished it. You needed a lesson on keeping your hands to yourself!"

"Chill, man," Maverick clapped his hands again. Why does he do that? "I ain't mad about it. Looking back, that shit was funny."

"Why are you being almost nice to me, anyway?" Veikko asked, his attitude briefly on hold to deal with his confusion at the situation. "Are you laying some trap for me?"

"Nah, Carlisle, I'm sorry about that shit," Maverick's eye was directly on him. His voice was deep and guttural. "Come and sit up here with me. The view's fucking amazing."

"Sorry cupcake, I don't share my throne," Veikko kissed the air between them and raised his palm in Maverick's direction. "I'm just going to wait out the rest of lunch here. Don't feel like we have to talk, okay?"

"Suits me fine," Maverick shrugged and whipped his phone out from his pocket. Good. There's been too much going on today; I'd like to know where I stand with at least one person, thank you very much, Matsuda.

For the remaining minutes of the recess period, both boys just played around on their phones. Veikko had a look on Dom's facebook page, but there hadn't been any updates on it since October of last year. A note about how much he missed his home country. Naww, Dommy. He'd gone to New Zealand with his father last year to attend his sister's wedding and come back with a sick new tā moko on his upper left arm. They'd fucked so many times that night. I miss who you were, Dom. Why don't you stop this emo shit and snap out of it?

"Why the sad face?" Maverick asked after a while. Veikko scowled and looked up and the smug wanker. "You wish you took me up on my offer, hey?"

"Don't flatter yourself, cupcake!" Veikko didn't even look up at him. "I'm having a really shit day."

"That sounds like your problem, not mine," Maverick remarked. "Come and sit with me!"

"And have you throw me down so I can break my face again? I think not," Veikko shot him down. "This beauty right here probably can't take another hit. But don't let that stop you! If you're planning to rough me up, now's a great opportunity, you know. My friends hate my fucking guts, and they'll probably even join in."

"Why? What did you do wrong? Act like yourself?" Maverick teased him, tossing his long, ice-blue hair side to side and teasing it with his fingers.

"WOW, that's rude," Veikko spun around to look at him. "And a bit rich from someone who spends his time creeping around in the homerooms without any friends."

"You're here, aren't you?" Maverick grinned, and Veikko was taken a little by surprise. Why was he even here entertaining this guy? Maverick Matsuda was a well-known sociopath. Theft, assault, vandalism. The type of fellow who had already been arrested a few times and that would probably be his whole life story. I don't have to prove anything to him.

"We're not friends, though!" Veikko used his hands for emphasis. He tended to speak and gesture a lot with his hands. "You attacked me. I hate your guts, Matsuda."

"So why are you still here?" Maverick was provoking him now. That shit-eating grin on his face. Hmph. When Veikko couldn't think of something to reply, Maverick knew he'd won again. "Now I have you in check. You better make your move before it's checkmate."

"So pray tell, what is checkmate?" Veikko drew his eyes away. He wouldn't give Maverick the satisfaction of thinking he was interested in their conversation.

"You admit you like hanging out with me!" Maverick snickered.

"In your dreams, emo child!" Veikko snorted. "I'm putting up with you because nobody else will put up with me today. You're just the best of a bad situation."

"Whatever you need to tell yourself," Maverick had been slowly chewing on his fried dim sims since the very beginning and finally finished them. "You and I both know you do, though."

"And what about you?" Veikko asked, eyes fixed on his vlog comments. "You won't shut the fuck up. I think you're the one who likes hanging out, not me. Why is that?"

"I'm interested in you," Maverick stated bluntly, and Veikko did look up. Incredulously. Did he say what I think he did?

"Erm, cupcake, when you say interested, what do you mean?" He asked with a coquettish smirk on his pouty pink lips. Maverick shrugged.

"What do you think I mean?"

"Ew, never mind," Veikko giggled. "You did win my interest for just a moment, but you lost it when you decided to be coy. Sorry! I don't play games, thank you and goodbye."

Maverick was quiet, and Veikko was thrilled that he'd managed to win this round. It was a very even contest between them, he realised. He'd been outplayed in their little power struggle a few times but gotten in some licks of his own. Good. I don't submit to anyone, Matsuda. Better luck next time!
Eventually, the bell tolled and lunch recess was over. Maverick hopped off the top of the lockers. Veikko looked up, but he didn't see what was happening until Maverick's lips had already locked with his own. Veikko squealed in surprise and fury, and he tried to push Maverick away, but the bigger, stronger boy kept him there for four of the longest seconds of Veikko's life.

"What the actual fuck?" Veikko yelled, wiping his mouth with his forearm. "What is wrong with you, you freak?"

"Just some payback," Maverick might have winked, or he might have blinked. Behind his fluffy mop of icy-blue locks, only one eye was visible. "I hope it was as good for you as it was for me in Ninth Year. Yeah, you're an interesting guy, Veik. You don't take shit. That's hot. I'll see you around, then."

"You... I..." Veikko spluttered, not knowing what to say to him. That was the last thing he expected, especially as Maverick made an art form out of torturing him two years prior.

"Hah, looks like you're back in check!" Maverick celebrated and disappeared out the door. Ahh... ahem... what? What even is today? At least he'd have a lot to cover when he recorded tonight.

Psychology was the final class of the day. Reima was going to be there and Veikko was worried. How angry is he going to be that I can't even tell someone I'm sorry for being so mean to them? He made sure to get his books and head down to Room 311 for his class and gasped in surprise. What is he doing here? Seriously?

"You just can't leave me alone, can you?" Maverick had his red converse shoes propped up on the side of his desk. He was grinning. Veikko shot him the most menacing glare he could and opened up his palm in Maverick's face. "So much attitude, you're really something!" Maverick added. Veikko ignored him and sat on the far side of the room. I'm so not in the mood for this!

Reima, Dom and Topher came in as a three. They didn't look mad, Veikko saw. In fact, aside from an initial glance, they pretended he didn't even exist. Ironically, it was Topher who appeared sympathetic. Topher Lynch looked at him with pity and mouthed something with his lips: I'm sorry. Are you sorry? You damn well should be. Veikko glowered and looked away. I hate you.

Mrs Daivari was the Psychology teacher, as well as the school counsellor. He adored her and smiled on sight. Veikko and Reima spent a lot of time with her in years past, both alone and together. Losing their young sister Jonna to leukaemia followed so soon by their father brutally beating Veikko within an inch of his life took a significant toll on both boys. Mrs Daivari helped them pick up the pieces. He enjoyed the class for the most part. Mrs Daivari was an excellent teacher and a warm person. Reima and Dom wouldn't look at him, though, but Maverick sure did. Every time he looked in that direction, the emo kid was smirking. The end of the school day bell rang and everyone eagerly leapt up to grab their bags and get the fuck out. It was still a hot summer day, and people likely had plans. Maybe Dom would like to come over? Like he used to?

"Dom?" Veikko asked meekly, and to his relief, Dominic turned to look at him. Aw, he's such a cutie. "I'm missing you already."

"I find that hard to believe, Koko," Dom was quiet so that Reima and Topher would not overhear them. "You didn't miss me for a whole month, but now you can't handle a few hours?"

"I was pissed at you!" Veikko snapped back, his voice barely a whisper. "I couldn't see you because I would have punched you for trying to do that to me! I was scared and upset and hurt."

"So what? You thought you'd get back at me by leaving me alone in that place?" Dom's big brown eyes began to water. "Well, congratu-fucking-lations. I thought I was okay with everything, but I'm not."

"Do you wanna come over and talk and stuff?" Veikko was hopeful that he could talk his way out of this, but Dom shook his head.

"No, I gotta go to work so I can help pay off my giant fucking medical bill for the loony bin," Dom let out a distressed laugh. "Isn't life awesome? I'm so happy I survived."

"I'm happy you survived," Veikko wiped his eyes and sniffled.

"I wish you acted like it. When you were the one in hospital hooked up to the machines, I came to see you. Every single day!" Dom reached out and patted Veikko's arm before taking his leave. Topher walked with him, but Reima stayed behind.

"Oh, is it me you're waiting for?" Veikko asked him, feeling shaken after the short talk he had with the man he loved. He hates me now. I let him down.

"I always do," Reima grumbled. He was sulking. "Even if you're an embarrassing arsehole and I don't like you right now."

"Because you have my back?" Veikko reached for Reima's hand. After a sigh, his brother reluctantly squeezed his hand before they started walking together. Left foot. Right foot.

"Yeah. Forever," Reima reassured him.

"Thanks, Rei. ... I love you." He whispered. The other boy seemed surprised to hear that. Pleased, but it was out of character.

"I love you too, Veik. Just stop being an arsehole."

Thanks to everyone who reads anything I post, including Parity! You guys rock!
The next chapter will be Maverick's.
Copyright © 2018 AusGlitterati; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Love 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Veikko is an ass, but also a very complicated person. I am anxious to learn more details about his backstory. I don't like him much, but he may be in the lead for most interesting character. No, wait. They are all pretty interesting. Thanks.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

Veikko is an ass, but also a very complicated person. I am anxious to learn more details about his backstory. I don't like him much, but he may be in the lead for most interesting character. No, wait. They are all pretty interesting. Thanks.

Phew that's a relief! Complicated ass is what I was aiming for! And I'm really glad you find everyone interesting thus far! ^_^ Thank you for the r, r and r! 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Without doubt, Veikko is the most complex character introduced to date.  While his brother is easygoing, showing what Veikko might have been, his experiences have diverged vastly from those of his brother, altering his character. At the age of 13, he is brutally beaten by his father, presumably for coming out gay, and is forced to spend time in a hospital to recuperate. In school, partially because he is small (only 5' 2") but also because he is gay, he is mercilessly bullied:  Matsuda makes torturing him "an art form," and Veikko's nose is permanently crooked from the time when Matsuda smashes his face against a wall. He has been beaten to the point where Dom has helped him bestow the "kiss of life" at least 4 times. Yet, despite these trials, the "real" Veikko still manages occasionally to shine through:  He is outwardly gregarious and even hosts a vlog. Dom (in his own chapter) thinks of Veikko as "witty, funny, and adorable." Vico actually loves the sciences, and we are told that he has an analytic brain - - he is "a bright student, intelligent and motivated." While Veikko has many wonderful traits, his bad experiences color his thought processes, making him prickly - - quick to perceive a slight. He has built a wall between himself and the world. Reima actually says, "I don't see why you have to always be fighting with someone," but as far as Veikko is concerned, someone has always been fighting with him; and his attitude - - at least in his own eyes - - is justified.

 

Much of the action in this chapter is powered by Veikko"s unreasonable hatred of Topher and his refusal to apologize (for telling him to "fuck off" after Dom invites him to sit with their group. While Zack, one of Topher's friends, did indeed beat Veikko, Topher [in his own chapter] agrees that Zach deserves the "kiss of life" that Veikko imposes on him. Unfortunately, Veikko hates Topher by association, and this hatred prevents him from learning that Topher is actually sympathetic to him). He feels boxed in by his own actions, as if his status will somehow be diminished if he were to apologize, and he is incapable of changing those actions despite clearly seeing that he is alienating his own friends. His past dictates how he deals with the future; and with that wall of "protection" he's built around his psyche, he is unable to accept his brother's advice to do what's right and get it over with. When Veikko complains that he never got an apology from Topher, Reima points out, "You might have if you didn't tell him to fuck off."

 

Veikko's actions are also partially motivated by love (or its lack):  While we never learn what happens to his father (whether he absconds or is jailed), he is violently repudiated by his sperm donor, and his teen years are bereft of a father's love. There is no love lost between Veikko and most of his peers, many of whom have actually tried to harm him.  While he loves Dom, Dom does not return that love, despite their physical displays of affection. (In juxtaposition, Reima and Selena do not appear outwardly affectionate but are in love.)  Another reason he finds it so hard to apologize to Topher is that he sees him as a rival - - someone who is trying to steal Dom away from him - - and he has little enough love as it is. At least, he always has his brother's love, as Reima grudgingly agrees.

 

 In another juxtaposition or two, Veikko's world is turned upside down when Maverick Matsuda comes out and comes on to him.  First, Matsuda acknowledges that he watches Veikko's vlog, showing that he has actually been paying him attention. While Veikko thinks that Matsuda hates him (a reasonable assumption, considering that Matsuda is one of his prime torturers), Maverick admits to being interested in him. While Veikko cannot apologize to Topher, Matsuda apologizes to Veikko. Where Veikko once gave Maverick the kiss of life, Maverick now returns the favor, imposing a kiss on Veikko. I love the tableau at the end of the chapter, where Reima and Dom won't even look at Veikko, "but Maverick sure did."

 

 At the end of a horrible day, Veikko tries to patch things up with Dom, only to wind up in a discussion as to why he failed to visit Dom in the hospital. Earlier, he says internally, "Why would Dom ever do that to him? Tried to kill himself? What would I ever do without him?" However, what he actually says to Dom is that "I was pissed at you! ...I couldn't see you because I would have punched you for trying to do that to me!" By making the situation about himself, Veikko shows his selfishness. (Earlier, Reima puts himself into Veikko's place, sarcastically saying "I'm this weird combination of insecure and narcissistic...," and this is a perfect example, even though addressing a different situation.) In contrast, Dom reminds Veikko that he was there for him every day that Veikko was in the hospital. He walks out on Veikko, leaving Veikko thinking that the man he loves hates him instead:  Dom really doesn't understand that love and need are the real reasons that Veikko did not visit him. Dom tells Veikko that he has a funny way of showing his love, but it's the only way that Veikko knows how.

 

 At the end of the chapter, Reima says, "I love you too, Veik. Just stop being an arsehole": Good advice, yes, but when being an arsehole has been a survival trait, it's easier said then done.

Edited by travlbug
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Travlbug! :glomp:

I was so keen for your feedback/summary of this one! :P I pretty much dropped everything to read it! It feels like you understand the characters better than I do sometimes 🤔

 

55 minutes ago, travlbug said:

While his brother is easygoing, showing what Veikko might have been, his experiences have diverged vastly from those of his brother, altering his character.

Yeah! That was a concept I was interested in exploring ^_^ Inspired by a pair of characters who are identical in everyway from a video game - the same character from parallel universes in which the only difference is that one is a man and one is a woman, and their different experiences as a result of their gender shape them as the same, but entirely different.

 

1 hour ago, travlbug said:

" While Veikko has many wonderful traits, his bad experiences color his thought processes, making him prickly - - quick to perceive a slight. He has built a wall between himself and the world. Reima actually says, "I don't see why you have to always be fighting with someone," but as far as Veikko is concerned, someone has always been fighting with him; and his attitude - - at least in his own eyes - - is justified.

Oh good I'm really glad that translated! I was worried that I crowded out his positive traits with his negative ones and not appropriately giving method to his madness - It took me a while before I was happy with this one. It still reeks of dissatisfaction - I should have sent it to you first, I think!

 

1 hour ago, travlbug said:

Veikko hates Topher by association, and this hatred prevents him from learning that Topher is actually sympathetic to him

Yeah :( it's a little sad to think what Veikko's hard shell protects him from joy as much as pain.

 

1 hour ago, travlbug said:

Another reason he finds it so hard to apologize to Topher is that he sees him as a rival - - someone who is trying to steal Dom away from him - - and he has little enough love as it is.

I tend to feel sorry for him :( all he's wanted for so long is Dom to love him back. Still, that doesn't excuse his toxic behaviour.

 

2 hours ago, travlbug said:

While Veikko thinks that Matsuda hates him (a reasonable assumption, considering that Matsuda is one of his prime torturers), Maverick admits to being interested in him. While Veikko cannot apologize to Topher, Matsuda apologizes to Veikko. Where Veikko once gave Maverick the kiss of life, Maverick now returns the favor, imposing a kiss on Veikko.

You knew I had to have a handful of juxtaposition in my chapter! :P I'm glad you liked them!

 

Thank you very much for another terrific redux! ❤️ I hope you enjoyed my story a fraction as much as I enjoyed your review! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 7/21/2018 at 7:03 AM, travlbug said:

Without doubt, Veikko is the most complex character introduced to date.  While his brother is easygoing, showing what Veikko might have been, his experiences have diverged vastly from those of his brother, altering his character. At the age of 13, he is brutally beaten by his father, presumably for coming out gay, and is forced to spend time in a hospital to recuperate. In school, partially because he is small (only 5' 2") but also because he is gay, he is mercilessly bullied:  Matsuda makes torturing him "an art form," and Veikko's nose is permanently crooked from the time when Matsuda smashes his face against a wall. He has been beaten to the point where Dom has helped him bestow the "kiss of life" at least 4 times. Yet, despite these trials, the "real" Veikko still manages occasionally to shine through:  He is outwardly gregarious and even hosts a vlog. Dom (in his own chapter) thinks of Veikko as "witty, funny, and adorable." Vico actually loves the sciences, and we are told that he has an analytic brain - - he is "a bright student, intelligent and motivated." While Veikko has many wonderful traits, his bad experiences color his thought processes, making him prickly - - quick to perceive a slight. He has built a wall between himself and the world. Reima actually says, "I don't see why you have to always be fighting with someone," but as far as Veikko is concerned, someone has always been fighting with him; and his attitude - - at least in his own eyes - - is justified.

 

Much of the action in this chapter is powered by Veikko"s unreasonable hatred of Topher and his refusal to apologize (for telling him to "fuck off" after Dom invites him to sit with their group. While Zack, one of Topher's friends, did indeed beat Veikko, Topher [in his own chapter] agrees that Zach deserves the "kiss of life" that Veikko imposes on him. Unfortunately, Veikko hates Topher by association, and this hatred prevents him from learning that Topher is actually sympathetic to him). He feels boxed in by his own actions, as if his status will somehow be diminished if he were to apologize, and he is incapable of changing those actions despite clearly seeing that he is alienating his own friends. His past dictates how he deals with the future; and with that wall of "protection" he's built around his psyche, he is unable to accept his brother's advice to do what's right and get it over with. When Veikko complains that he never got an apology from Topher, Reima points out, "You might have if you didn't tell him to fuck off."

 

Veikko's actions are also partially motivated by love (or its lack):  While we never learn what happens to his father (whether he absconds or is jailed), he is violently repudiated by his sperm donor, and his teen years are bereft of a father's love. There is no love lost between Veikko and most of his peers, many of whom have actually tried to harm him.  While he loves Dom, Dom does not return that love, despite their physical displays of affection. (In juxtaposition, Reima and Selena do not appear outwardly affectionate but are in love.)  Another reason he finds it so hard to apologize to Topher is that he sees him as a rival - - someone who is trying to steal Dom away from him - - and he has little enough love as it is. At least, he always has his brother's love, as Reima grudgingly agrees.

 

 In another juxtaposition or two, Veikko's world is turned upside down when Maverick Matsuda comes out and comes on to him.  First, Matsuda acknowledges that he watches Veikko's vlog, showing that he has actually been paying him attention. While Veikko thinks that Matsuda hates him (a reasonable assumption, considering that Matsuda is one of his prime torturers), Maverick admits to being interested in him. While Veikko cannot apologize to Topher, Matsuda apologizes to Veikko. Where Veikko once gave Maverick the kiss of life, Maverick now returns the favor, imposing a kiss on Veikko. I love the tableau at the end of the chapter, where Reima and Dom won't even look at Veikko, "but Maverick sure did."

 

 At the end of a horrible day, Veikko tries to patch things up with Dom, only to wind up in a discussion as to why he failed to visit Dom in the hospital. Earlier, he says internally, "Why would Dom ever do that to him? Tried to kill himself? What would I ever do without him?" However, what he actually says to Dom is that "I was pissed at you! ...I couldn't see you because I would have punched you for trying to do that to me!" By making the situation about himself, Veikko shows his selfishness. (Earlier, Reima puts himself into Veikko's place, sarcastically saying "I'm this weird combination of insecure and narcissistic...," and this is a perfect example, even though addressing a different situation.) In contrast, Dom reminds Veikko that he was there for him every day that Veikko was in the hospital. He walks out on Veikko, leaving Veikko thinking that the man he loves hates him instead:  Dom really doesn't understand that love and need are the real reasons that Veikko did not visit him. Dom tells Veikko that he has a funny way of showing his love, but it's the only way that Veikko knows how.

 

 At the end of the chapter, Reima says, "I love you too, Veik. Just stop being an arsehole": Good advice, yes, but when being an arsehole has been a survival trait, it's easier said then done.

Wow. You nailed it.

  • Love 2
Link to comment

How can Veikko justify not visiting Dom in the hospital to himself so easily? Does he feel any guilt about it or is that buried ten feet deep. And not just Veikko but all of Dom's so-called 'friends'. One whole month when they didn't even have school and nobody bothered to stop in? Dom, maybe you need new friends.

 

Maverick has an ace up his sleeve. You just don't do an about-face like that for no reason.

  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, BerryRedBear said:

How can Veikko justify not visiting Dom in the hospital to himself so easily? Does he feel any guilt about it or is that buried ten feet deep. And not just Veikko but all of Dom's so-called 'friends'. One whole month when they didn't even have school and nobody bothered to stop in? Dom, maybe you need new friends.

Veikko has a lot of trouble with his feelings - particularly where Dom is concerned. That being said, that was a horrible thing to do to him.
 

15 minutes ago, BerryRedBear said:

Maverick has an ace up his sleeve. You just don't do an about-face like that for no reason.

Wow, don't take all the fun out of it! ;) ❤️ 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was probably my favorite chapter so far. As much as I dislike some (or most) of Veikko's character traits, the story would not have been as fun without characters like him and Maverick. The back and forth between them was the highlight for me! Mav clearly likes Veikko in some way, maybe because he thinks they are similar (they don't take shit from anyone, they're both oddballs).

 

Unless Veikko changes his behavior, I can see Dom distancing himself from him and Mav taking his place next to Veikko.

 

Veikko has clearly had very rough childhood, which explains his behavior. He's gay, tiny and can't physically defend himself, so being catty and bitchy is all he has for defense. And of course, he has Dom to protect him.

 

Which makes me realize how one-sided their relationship is. Dom gives him protection, agrees to fool around with him even though he doesn't love him, just because he knows Veikko has a crush on him. But what does Veikko give Dom in return? Not even a visit in the hospital.

  • Love 2
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, ObicanDecko said:

This was probably my favorite chapter so far. As much as I dislike some (or most) of Veikko's character traits, the story would not have been as fun without characters like him and Maverick. The back and forth between them was the highlight for me! Mav clearly likes Veikko in some way, maybe because he thinks they are similar (they don't take shit from anyone, they're both oddballs).

 

Unless Veikko changes his behavior, I can see Dom distancing himself from him and Mav taking his place next to Veikko.

 

Veikko has clearly had very rough childhood, which explains his behavior. He's gay, tiny and can't physically defend himself, so being catty and bitchy is all he has for defense. And of course, he has Dom to protect him.

 

Which makes me realize how one-sided their relationship is. Dom gives him protection, agrees to fool around with him even though he doesn't love him, just because he knows Veikko has a crush on him. But what does Veikko give Dom in return? Not even a visit in the hospital.

😍I'm glad! This chapter took me a long time and I was terrified that it would be poorly received! Because as much as I adore Veikko (like all my characters) he's a real dick. 

I suppose the writing might be a bit on the wall for now. :P

A couple of people mention in passing that Veikko's only viable method of defense is offense. He's tired of being a victim and he has to throw the first stone.

Yeah :( Dom deserves better. ^_^

Huge thanks for another delightful comment, friend ❤️ 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..