Jump to content
    Bardeara
  • Author
  • 2,816 Words
  • 1,351 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2007 - Spring - Fairy Tales Entry

Once Upon A Time... Remember? - 1. Once Upon A Time... Remember?

I’d like to thank my friend Vivian, for editing this story for me and to my friend and beta reader Bev.
The two of you have been a constant support for me and I’m so honored to have you in my life.

“Once upon a time, there was a young woman who lived with her two step-sisters and her step-mother. Her stepfamily was of the wicked sorts, and took full advantage of their fortune of inheriting a housekeeper, at least that’s what they treated her as. Her name was Cinderella, and although she always wore ragged clothing made from patched up hand me down clothing from her sisters, she had a heart like no other. She dreamt that things would change one day for her and she would meet someone, who would take her away from all this, and they would live happily ever after,” I paused, looking over to see if my love was still listening before continuing.

“See one day, a messenger came to invite all the single women to a ball to meet a charming prince who was seeking a bride. Cinderella became excited by the news as she had secretly made herself a dress which she was hopping to be able to use one day. When the day came to go to the ball, her wicked stepfamily decided that she could only go to the ball after she finished a long list of chores, one that they certainly added more to than normal. They also pointed out that she did not have a dress of her own, but when Cinderella explained that she did, her stepfamily deliberately ruined it by ripping it apart.”

“That horrible, why would someone do such a thing?” I heard my love speak from the other room.

“Well apparently, the stepfamily decided that one of Cinderella’s stepsisters would be the perfect match for this prince and I’m guessing the dress Cinderella made proved that there was going to be some competition,” I kindly pointed out.

“So what happened?” my love was trying to say while drinking at the same time.

It made me chuckle as I continued, “Cinderella was heartbroken by the scene so much, that it became clear she wasn’t going to get her chance to go to the ball. The stepfamily left Cinderella alone and she then broke into tears. This is when something magical happened and her fairy godmother came and used her magic to create a dress like no other. The fairy godmother created glass slippers for Cinderella to wear, and then a carriage to take Cinderella to the ball, but with a warning that the spell would end at the stroke of midnight.”

I smiled as I noticed my love appeared around the corner for a moment, clearly taking an interest in my story that I was telling him, before he ducked back into the room to continue on his tasks.

“Cinderella got to the ball late, but she didn’t care, for she got to go and that made all the differences. She ending up making an entrance that was fit for a queen and everyone was taken aback, including her stepfamily. The prince took extra interest in Cinderella and the night quickly became their own. That was, until the stroke of midnightwas upon them, and Cinderella bolted from the palace before the beautiful dress turned back into rags. The prince tried to stop her, but to no avail; in fact he didn’t even learn her name. The only thing the prince had to go on was the simple fact that she left behind one of the glass slippers. The prince became determined to learn who she was as she had captivated his heart, and so he sent out a search and had every woman try on the glass shoe until he had found her. Alas, he came up short, and with one last home, his hope had faded of finding her. Cinderella’s stepmother tried to keep her hidden from sight while the prince visited, but it wasn’t long before she was discovered and forced into showing her face. By doing so, she was finally free to prove that she was the one who wore glass slipper to the ball. Cinderella’s stepfamily was furious, but the damage was done, and the prince swept Cinderella away to live as his bride and to live happily ever after.”

“I love happy endings,” my love spoke as he entered the room. Hearing me speak delighted him, I could tell that he was restless by today’s events and before he could speak to comment on the end of the story I cut him off.

“Well most people would stop there, but that’s where the story actually begins. See, Cinderella and the prince had a wonderful life together; they married, and before long had a son and named him Darryl. As he grew up it he became very troublesome, in fact, no matter how much one disciplined him, he still continued to disobey everyone that he came across. As time went by, and Darryl grew, things changed. Although his parents love him dearly despite his faults, it became clear that they no longer felt the same towards each other. It wasn’t long until the wonderful prince, found some lady who needed rescuing from several dwarfs, at least, I think she needed help. He abandoned Cinderella and Darryl high and dry for his new love,” my love stopped and looked at me with his head tilted to the side and he seemed like he was about to speak, but before he said a word I raised my hand to silence him and continued.

“It wasn’t all bad, they got to remain in the castle, and Prince Charming took his new love to live in another one to once again, live happily ever after. From what I’ve heard, they were happy for a while, until one day he found a rundown castle and entered it only to find a lady fast asleep. Apparently, he messed up that marriage when he woke the sleeping lady with a simple kiss. I’m not really certain what happened beyond that, but it doesn’t really matter. The point is, that Prince Charming seemed to only mess up every relationship he got himself into, and that if there is a thing called happily ever after, then it’s only short lived. Anyway, Cinderella now was raising Darryl, without his father, and as a result, Darryl became even more of a hellion. One day while the two of them were out celebrating Darryl’s seventh birthday, Cinderella broke her heal on her shoe just as they passed a shop where they fixed and restored shoes. They made a quick stop in and Cinderella asked the shopkeeper to help her out. He was more then willing of course, but they would need to wait until it was ready. The shopkeeper suggested they have something to eat and drink as his home was actually connected to the shop. Cinderella agreed and prayed Darryl wouldn’t be much of a bother.”

I looked over and noticed my love was no longer in sight. Apparently I got caught up in my own story and didn’t notice him leave the room. I wasn’t worried though, I knew he was still listening to every word I was saying.

“Cinderella was shocked to see that Darryl behaved himself not for the shopkeeper, but because of the shopkeeper’s son. Though Cinderella was certain it was a fluke, she decided to see if, in fact, Vincent, the shopkeeper’s son, could tame her son. Vincent passed and actually succeeded, where so many others, including herself, had failed. She learned very quickly that it was no fluke and so she did the only thing she could think of, she asked the shopkeeper to allow Vincent to become Darryl’s personal aid. The shopkeeper reluctantly agreed, mostly because he knew his son would most likely have to move into the castle, so he agreed to a trial, but the terms were that Vincent was allowed to come home whenever he pleased.”

“How often did he return home to his father?” my love asked while peering around the corner, without a top on.

“Oh, in the beginning, Vincent was constantly homesick and was always heading home but, as time grew on, Vincent seemed to prefer to remain with Darryl. Cinderella felt badly for that, and made a special room just for the shopkeeper so he could stay whenever he wished. As the seasons flew by, and Vincent and Darryl grew up, so too did their bond.”

I noticed my loves interest peek as he reentered the room in his nightwear. He didn’t say much, but I could actually see a longing in his eyes, a look that I’d become all too familiar with.

“Their affair seemed a simple one, more of a way to express their affection towards each other then anything else. They kept it secret, mostly out of fear of what might be bestowed upon them if others learned the truth. This was simply for the fact that it was forbidden for two people of the same sex to love each other in that way. To expresses it would cause such a disastrous response with repercussions that neither sat well with.”

By this point, I had moved closer to my love as he was now sprawled on the bed in such a way that not only did he silently ask for closeness, but also a need for support.

“Did they ever get caught?” my love asked, and although I didn’t say a word my look towards him spoke a thousand folds.

“When you live a life like Darryl lived, in a castle, and as a prince, secrets spread among the servants very quickly, especially if the gossip was a juicy tale such as this. Once word had gotten back to them that everyone except Vincent’s father and Darryl’s mother knew, it was clear that their love for each other was in jeopardy. They tried to bury the truth by pretending it never happened, but their undeviating love for each other proved to be a stronger foe than fear of retribution. During that period, Darryl remembered a time when he was very young where he asked his father why there were no stories about two boys finding love? After a few moments, probably from trying to digest what was asked, he responded with a slight tone of aggravation. He informed Darryl that it was because that sort of thing never happened, and that a man only found true happiness when he married the woman he’s meant to be with.”

My love frowned by that statement, and justifiably so. Once again, I silenced him from saying a word by placing my finger gently upon his lips, sending a sensation clearly through both our bodies. It was enough to hush him as I continued the tale.

“It was clear to Darryl that, what his father told him so many years ago was false, as he had indeed found pure happiness with Vincent, even if it was forbidden through-out the land. It wasn’t long after Darryl’s revelation that fear was overpowered by their love for each other, and soon afterwards when they could no longer deny what was true; they gave in completely to their emotions. It was shortly after this day, that both Vincent’s father, and Darryl’s mother, discovered the truth about their boys. Neither took the news very well, and Vincent took it the hardest when his own father declared he never had a son, before walking out on him for good.”

I had decided to disband the story at that point, as the story just seemed too cruel to tell, but surprisingly, my love placed his head over my chest, which calmed me instead. It was as if he was willing me to continue on, and despite my silent objection, that was just what I did.

“Cinderella was better over discovering the truth than Vincent’s father, but denial sometimes itself can do more harm then abandonment. At least without Vincent’s father around, Vincent was able to deny his father even knew and even convinced himself that his father lived too far away to visit. Darryl, on the other hand, had to face his mother on a daily basis. She didn’t openly speak of her disapproval towards her son, but sometimes words need not be spoken when her actions spoke louder. Their relationship changed quite suddenly at that point, to a level where they seemed more like distant strangers passing in the night, than a mother and son’s relationship should be.”

“So what did they do?” my love asked as if like a young child asking their parent who was telling them their bedtime story.

“Well, with time, the silence became deafening for Darryl, and with that, he made a declaration. He actually was taken back when his own mother appeared to take the news that he was leaving for good much harder then he thought she would have. Darryl never did leave the castle walls though, because the day before Vincent and he were to depart, fate altered everything. Until this day, many felt that Vincent and Darryl were under some sort of wicked spell, but after this, it was clearer than ever that the only spell they were under was love. On this day, however, things would become very different as it was deemed that a wicked spell was placed upon them, the kind that would cause Darryl to lose Vincent, perhaps forever.”

I smiled at the way my love clutched onto me at that point; clearly picturing in his mind what life would be like without me. At least that's what I imagined when it came to him.

I continued the tale without objection, “On that day, Vincent and Darryl decided to take a ride though the country side. It was one of those beautiful days where everything just seemed perfect. The day was warm, the sun was shining, and the sky was clear. It was just after middaywhen they finished up the romantic picnic that they had eaten on the hillside and they decided to make their way back. This is when fate struck them their blow. Vincent was thrown off his horse after a snake spooked the animal and ran off. Darryl jumped off his mount and rush to his love’s side. Vincent was unconscious, most likely from the blow he took to his head when he landed.”

My love silently lanced his hand within my own as I continued, “Darryl used his mount to carry Vincent back to the castle, and the time it took to get home seemed to drag on forever. He carried him inside and placed him in bed. He sent word for a healer to come at once, and dared not leave his lovers side. Days passed and still Vincent had not awoken. Cinderella watched his son take care of Vincent and saw for the first time, the true meaning of love. She wasn’t the only one who noticed either as word spread though out the castle. Darryl’s love for Vincent was undeniable, and truth that happiness between two men was in fact possible. The only problem that remained now was that Vincent would not wake and Darryl’s despair of losing the one he truly loved was becoming more clear. He leaned over and whispered to his love, ‘I love you, I know I never told you that enough, but I do. Please, I beg you, come back to me,’ and with that Darryl gently placed a kiss upon his love’s lips.”

I kissed my love’s head, mostly out of the sheer emotion that I felt from just telling the bedtime tale, and I could feel him smiling from it as I spoke. “Vincent did waken up from the kiss, but Darryl’s joy was short lived as he learned quickly of a new curse that had befallen upon them. Vincent had lost his memory and that devastated Darryl, but this perhaps could have become the best blessing they could have hoped for. It has been thought, that someone cursed Vincent, in an attempt keep the balance and prevented Vincent and Darryl from truly being together. Although Darryl searched many times to reverse this blocking curse, he always came up short. Still, Vincent’s emotions for Darryl remained, despite the loss of memory they shared, and it was because of that, those around the two came to the understanding that love is truly best understood when you just accept it as emotion, regardless of where it leads you.”

“That’s a lovely tale,” my love stated, commenting with a frown before finishing, “I just wish I could remember it.”

I gently rolled on top of my love while tenderly kissing his sweet lips. “You will Vincent. As soon as we find a way to break this curse you will,” and like magic at that exact moment the candle lighting the room went out, allowing the darkness to envelop us leaving us to enjoy our love of each other.

© 2007 Bardeara

Please visit the Story Discussion Thread

Feedback is always appreciated at bardeara@hotmail.com
Copyright © 2010 Bardeara; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2007 - Spring - Fairy Tales Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..