Jump to content
    BDANR
  • Author
  • 1,340 Words
  • 2,188 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Descendants of the Ida Dynasty - 1. Chapter 1: Journey through the Soren Desert

I haven't written sci-fi in a LONG time. I started this project up after college and am just now figuring out the plot. Lots of experimenting and organizing my thoughts being done here, so please bear with me :P . Your affirmations, helpful critiques, and reactions will help me make this story as good as I'm picturing it. Please enjoy!

I awoke peacefully under the afternoon light. The sun had a red hue. My skin sweated profusely under these heavy cloths, protection from the harsh cold that washes over the Soren Desert during sundown. One of the rocks beside me looked easy manageable to climb up on. Easier said than done. My body felt limp all over after a long sleep, my wounds were nagging me all over. And it had just occurred to me: I was alive.

The shock hit me. Though it was hard to move, I removed my cloths and managed to lean against a large boulder near me. I took a good look at my body, decorated with bandages to secure my wounds. My lime green skin looked paler than usual. Barken must’ve had a lot of work on his hands: after all, he essentially brought me back from the dead.

Sensing a bow rippling through the air, my head shifted to the side. Had I not moved quickly enough, it would’ve struck the space between my eyes. Pinpointing the direction of the arrow, another came towards me. I threw myself to the ground, the arrow piercing the boulder. Pieces of rock shattered onto me. Luckily, though my body had been injured, my senses were not. The broken remnants of the arrow were a ruby red with a black marking etched onto them: the insignia of the Red Golems, the desert demons of the Soren Desert.

My arms and hands dug into the thick, red clay ground, trying to remove myself from the area. There was no feeling in my legs. It felt frustrating maneuvering my useless body. Looking in the direction that the arrows were coming from, I found the perpetrator running towards me at high speed. It was short, possibly male, with a brown robe and hood that moved just as swiftly with him. His arrows were behind him, his bow in his hand. He stopped a few feet from me, bringing a heap of dust that blew into my face. My eyes watered and my throat choked on the clay. Red, wrinkly skin with black eyes and yellow irises, my potential assassin stood before me, analyzing me as prey. My body tensed in anticipation, making my wounds ache and burn worse.

The golem spoke in its native tongue. “You’re not allowed here.”

I struggled to speak, “Believe me...I wish I were...somewhere else.”

Just as I finished, I could see the golem lifting it’s bow, aiming an arrow to my forehead.

“Trespassers receive a swift death.”

Staring at my attacker, horror became me as I realized I would die alone without Barken at my side. Were our struggles for nothing?!

A sphere of orange light then crashed into the golem. He recoiled and appeared stunned. A figure appeared above me, jumping from the boulder I was leaning against before and shot another ball of light that seared the golem’s hands. It dropped its weapon and grunted with pain, it’s brown blood oozing from its limbs. The figure landed between me and the golem, his toned, burnt umber skin standing before me with copper-colored ankle, head, and wrist bracelets that reflected off the sun. He wore a green loincloth and had tattoos of yellow lines that looked like wind on his back.

“Barken,” I said softly.

The golem looked up at Barken and a purple, spherical light emanated from its hands. It screeched and the light grew and came toward us. Barken raised his palms and grabbed at the sphere. It began to steadily push him back, his feet sinking slowly into the red sands. Barken slowly pushed against the malignant glow, controlling the size of the light. As he moved forward, the golem grew overwhelmed. Before long, Barken’s fingers pierced into the purple glow and the light grew dimmer. The light then scattered and dissolved before us, pushing the golem to the ground.

The golem’s eyes were shooting daggers at Barken as its hands lifted toward him, another purple glow coming from its palms.

“You will regret invading our domain with your stench-”

“Enough,” screamed Barken.

Barken’s hands collided with the golem’s purple glow. He pushed hard enough to sink his hands inside the sphere, grabbing at the golem’s hands. It’s eyes widened. The golem’s purple glow began turning orange and it grunted with pain. Barken’s energy overpowered him, turning the golem’s attack against itself. The orange glow grew, engulfing it. My eyes burned as the bright orange light changed to white. The golem’s body deteriorated, the blinding light taking over the vicinity. I couldn’t hold open my eyes anymore.

The whiteness slowly faded, scattering through the air. The remains of the golem were likely blowing in the wind. My eyes readjusted to its surroundings. My ears heard heavy breathing. Barken was crouching towards the sand some feet away from me. He stood up and looked to me.

He rushed over, kneeling in the sand. His hands caressed my face and he closed his eyes. An orange glow came from his palms. My racing heartbeat began to slow. The tenseness that took over me faded. His hands are like an elixir to my body.

He opened his eyes then, his face showing guilt. “I’m sorry, Diego.”

I shrugged and smiled. “I’m still here.”

 

Barken earlier on had ventured off to grab some water for his healing potion. My upper torso was on his lap, bandages removed as he massaged the concoction on my wounds. It felt like ice in this dry heat.

I said, “Blankets for warding off golems? No wonder one charged at me when I removed them.”

He nodded. “These creatures are like land sharks. I’ve been able to keep our shelter safe while you healed, but my warding spells seem to be wearing off.”

My eyes traveled down my body, studying my skin again under the bandages. Lines occupied the area where my injuries had been and my color was coming back to me.

I said, “No need to worry. I will protect us both.”

Barken looked skeptical. “How do you plan to protect us with your legs the way they are?”

I waved my hand at him. “These won’t be a problem! Come, help me up.”

“Diego…”

“Just for a bit. I won’t get hurt.”

He shook his head. He gently removed himself from under me and leaned my back against his chest. He grabbed me by my shoulders and we worked together to lift my body up. My legs were still numb. Once I was standing, he moved in front of me and held my hands in his chestnut colored palms. He squeezed them softly and led me towards him. One step...two step...three. My lower limbs were regaining feeling, but I knew I couldn’t walk on my own. I leaned in too far and my body fell onto Barken’s, whose body fell to the ground with mine. His back leaned against the clay sand, my chest on his.

“Guess I wasn’t as ready as I thought.”

He laughed. My hands caressed his cheeks and his golden eyes looked at me. I missed his smile, something I hadn’t seen him do much. And for good reason. I kissed his lips and pulled away from him, my hands massaging his sides. He closed his eyes, purring at my touch.

“You must need sleep. I’ll keep watch tonight.”

His eyes opened slowly. “Are you sure?”

“Of course. I’ve had a long rest. I know you’ll need it after all you've done.”

I could see the dark shades under his eyes. He closed them again and laid his head on the clay.

“I did what I had to do. I just wish it was for a different reason... I owe you my life, Diego.”

The cause of my injuries were sustained during an ambush, and Barken would be the one to get us out of there. We’ve been on the run now for nearly a week’s time. As we lay, I recall our journey until now and the events that led up to this...

Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2017 BDANR; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, Foster said:

Good luck with your story. I will watch for more chapters.

Thank you, Foster! I hope it goes well, and I hope you enjoy :)!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..