Jump to content
    BDANR
  • Author
  • 2,134 Words
  • 1,483 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

There is No Forever - 9. Chapter 9 Part 1

The three friends wouldn’t meet as a trio for a couple of weeks. Jesse offered to take the two out to a restaurant, thanks all in part to Nikolai’s generosity. Jesse would invite Stefan and Devan to Tyler’s, a high end restaurant with small servings and high prices. When Devan arrived and checked out the menu, he was thankful that Nikolai was paying, wondering why anyone would even think of paying seventy dollars for some steak.

“Damn ya’ll, we haven’t met up in a minute,” Jesse said. “I was beginning to think you two just fell off the Earth and didn’t tell me.”

“It’s been a bit rough time on my end,” Devan admitted.

“So that’s your reason.” Jesse turned to Stefan. “I actually ran into Mr. Stefan over here at the beach last week. We’ve been having some nice boy time.”

“Oh? Has Jesse invited you to his mani-pedi appointments yet?

Stefan giggled. “I went to one. I never knew manicurists were so detailed.”

“Yes honey! You hang around me and you will expect nothing but the best!” Jesse batted his eyelashes. Stefan looked at Devan rolling his eyes.

“I’m glad you two have been hanging out,” Devan said, looking back at the menu. “I’ve been needing to lay low since the last time we all get together.”

Jesse’s face made a pout. “I think I understand why. I wanted to tell you Devan that I apologize for my behavior the last time we hung out. I definitely like to party hard and all, but it’s no excuse! Since then, I’ve definitely been trying to drink and go out in moderation. No more bottles of vodka, just half of one will do.” Devan caught himself laughing. Stefan shook his head. “I’m joking of course, but you know I love ya’ll and I want us out hang out again like we used to. Whaddya say?”

Devan nodded. “ It’s cool, don’t worry about it. We’ve been missing out on time to hang with each other.” Stefan hoped that Jesse’s change of habits might be bring all three of them together, not just for his sake, but for Devan especially, who hadn’t told Jesse about his brother’s passing.

Jesse smiled at Devan. “Aww! Group hug!” Jesse brought his arms out and the three hugged each other in their booth.

“Hello gentlemen. Can I get your order?” The three separated and noticed the waiter at their table. A handsome Mexican man in a black buttoned up shirt and black slacks. Jesse immediately knew who he was.

“Omg Filiberto! What are you doing here? I didn’t know you worked here.

Filiberto laughed. “You never asked. I’ve been working here for awhile now.”

Jesse was genuinely surprised, figuring he’d remember a face like Filiberto’s. “You’re kidding! Nikolai and I have come here a few times before. I wonder why we haven’t seen you?”

Filiberto shrugged. “Guess I wasn’t bussing your area at the time.”

Jesse shrugged with him, then he opened his mouth in surprise. “Where are my manners! Devan and Stefan, this is Filiberto. Filiberto, these are the two friends I was hanging out with when we were at Sam’s.” We, Stefan thought. Where was Filiberto when Devan, Jesse, and himself were hanging out?

“Nice to meet you, Filiberto,” Devan greeted him with a handshake.

“Nice to meet you,” Stefan said, slowly doing the same.

“Good to meet you both. What can I get started for you?” The three gave their food orders. “Any drinks?”

Jesse looked at Stefan and Devan. “I think we’re guuuud. No drinks here.”

Filiberto lifted his eyebrows. “Never thought I’d hear that from you. Turning a new leaf?”

Jesse laughed. “You need to stop.” Devan smirked at the whole situation, wondering who this dude was that Jesse seemed to know so well. Stefan however, felt the interaction between the two was a little strange.

“Alright gentlemen, your food should be out in a bit. Got any questions or concerns, just let me know.”

“Sounds good,” Devan said.

“I’ll be sure to leave a good tip,” Jesse winked. Filiberto laughed and shook his head while walking off. Stefan could see Jesse eyeing Filiberto as he walked away.

“Hmm, he’s a nice looking guy,” Devan said. “How do you two know each other?”

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Jesse grabbed a drink of his water. “He’s just someone I met on the scene.”

“I definitely wouldn’t mind getting to know him,” Devan said in a flirtatious tone.

“Ain’t he a looker? What do you think, Stefan?” Stefan barely paid much attention. He looked at the two, his face noticeably blank.

“I don’t...think anything about him,” Stefan said.

Jesse frowned, then waved it off. “Oh right, you got a man. Fair enough, Stefan. I won’t push you.” Stefan felt this was much appreciated. Besides, doesn’t his loyalty lie with Chris as Jesse’s should with Nikolai? “Now Devan sweetie, I know you text me on time. What’s been going on with you?”

Devan looked at the table, twiddling with his fingers. He looked at Stefan for additional support before saying, “Leroy passed away, Jesse.”

Jesse’s jaw dropped dramatically and his eyes were open wide. “WHAT?! When was this?”

“Maybe less than a month ago? I don’t know. I barely keep track these days.” Jesse appeared empathetic. He reached over and put a hand over Devan’s hand.

“Damn sweetie. No wonder you’ve been M.I.A. You good?”

“I’ve been better. Thanks though.”

Jesse shook his head. “I only knew him to be a shithead, but he was still blood. I’m sorry, hun.” Jesse’s hand gripped Devan’s. Devan felt unsure of the gesture. It was taking time for him to be receptive to intimacy after holding in his turmoil for so long. He needed to let go, allow others to shoulder the pain. He squeezed Jesse’s hand back. They nodded to one another and separated hands. Filiberto appeared on the scene with their food.

“And here’s your food,” Filiberto said, serving the three of them their platters.

“Thank you,” Jesse said with puppy dog eyes. “Hey listen, when do you get of tonight?”

“I’d say about an hour and a half. What’s up?” Jesse grinned at Devan and Stefan. Stefan became weary.

“Why don’t we all go out tonight? It’s happy hour at Juniper!”

“Tonight?” Stefan asked incredulously.

“I’d be down,” Filiberto said, “if none of you mind?”

Devan shrugged. “I guess it’s cool. I just didn’t know we’d be going out.” Stefan shook his head.

“Well, Stefan,” Jesse said.

Stefan sighed, trying to cover his frustration. “Sure, why not.”

“Cool. I can meet you three outside a quarter after nine.”

“Okay,” Jesse said excitingly. “See you!”

Filiberto walked off and Stefan’s eyes turned to Jesse. “What are you doing?”

Jesse’s face was blank as his eyes darted between Devan and Stefan. “Umm, suggesting we all go out tonight?”

“Jesse, you just talked about wanting to tone down on the partying, and now we’re going out without even planning to?”

“Stefan’s got a point, Jesse,” Devan admitted. Jesse felt cornered by the two of them. He hadn’t experienced Stefan being upset before and he wondered why Devan was so quick to take sides.

“I know I said that, but it’s just one night. Chill out! We’ll just make sure not to go out tomorrow. How’s that?” Jesse resumed eating, not waiting for an answer. Devan and Stefan looked one another’s way. Devan shrugged again, being all too familiar with Jesse’s inconsistency. Stefan was less forgiving. Stefan wanted to believe that he could depend on Jesse, that he was progressively becoming more responsible. He became slightly disappointed. He stared at his full plate of food and tried to swallow the few bites he had.

 

“So you’re not from around here, Filiberto,” Devan shouted over the loud music in Juniper. The four sat in a booth together. Jesse snapped to the music while Devan was getting to know Filiberto. Stefan looked off to the distance, wishing he were home.

“Naw, I moved here maybe a year ago,” Filiberto said.

“You’re an out of towner, just like Stefan here.” Stefan turned when he heard his name called.

“How long you been around here, man?”

“Almost four months now.” Stefan answered.

“What?!” Filiberto yelled, putting his hand to his ear.

“He said four months.” Devan said. Stefan grew disinterested in the scene very fast.

“Hey,” Jesse said, “I wanna dance.”

“Good for you.” Filiberto joked.

Jesse poked out his lips. “Anybody wanna join me?”

Filiberto nodded. “Alright, let’s go then.” Filiberto and Jesse lifted themselves us from the seat.

“What about you two?”

“Sure,” Devan said, getting up. “You coming Stefan?” Stefan was motionless for a bit. Without saying anything, he dragged himself up, looking restless.

“Okay then, let’s hit the floor,” Jesse said, walking and dancing at the same time.

The four entered the dance room. It had translucent, white tiles on the floor that flashed red, green, and blue at random intervals. The club was moderately packed, giving them room to move around. Jesse moved like the space was his, moving and popping his arms and legs with the bass of the music. Devan mastered a two-step formula that changed with each song. He moved confidently, despite having a modest repertoire of dance moves. Filiberto moved with his hips and legs, his eyes faced down as he listened to the rhythm of the music. Jesse and him danced close, eyeing each other with looks they hid from the others. Stefan moved a bit clumsier. He preferred the bar scene over clubs so he wouldn’t have to worry about dancing in front of others. Stefan watched his arms and legs, moving stiffly and self-consciously.

“Stefan honey,” Jesse said while laughing, “what the hell do you think you’re doing?” Stefan stopped in his tracks and felt his face burning.

“Lay off Jesse,” Devan said, waving him off, “not everyone can be Usher.” Devan walked over to Stefan. Stefan looked disheartened. “Here, try this.” Stefan watched Devan dance to the music. “Just have your feet move to the beat. And your hands, you can keep them at your side, or have them bent, close to your body. Whatever feels natural.” Stefan attempted to mimic the movements. He felt awkward. Devan smiled

“You’re getting better,” he continued. “Don’t look at your feet or think about what to do with your hands. Just move.” Stefan kept looking at Devan for guidance. Before long, Stefan felt somewhat better. A few slip-ups here and there, and dancing didn’t seem so impossible.

“Damn, look at you,” Filiberto said as he danced with Jesse, looking at Stefan. “You got the moves now.”

“Alright then, Stefan,” Jesse said, encouragingly. “Get it boy!” Stefan smiled and immersed himself with the music, moving more smoother each time. The four danced together under the strobe lights and it was like everything that was happening in their worlds seemed to fall to the wayside. Dancing was an escape.

Jesse walked up to the back of Stefan. “Imma teach you how to move those hips.” Jesse’s hands grabbed Stefan’s sides, moving them to the beat. Filiberto came up to the front of Stefan.

“There you go, man. You’re dancing like a pro.” Stefan, knowing Filiberto was being too nice, felt elated all the same.

“I’m gonna grab a drink,” Filiberto said. “You three good?

“I was thinking a cranberry and vodka,” Jesse said. He went through his pockets and handed two five dollar bills his way. Filiberto looked at the money, and only took one.

“I’ll pay the other one myself.” Jesse rolled his eyes. “You two?”

“I’m fine, thank you,” Stefan said.

“I’m good too,” Devan replied. And FIliberto walked off to the bar, getting through the crowd.

Jesse sucked in his lips. “He always does that,” he complained. “Money is money. He acts like Nikolai’s money is dirty or something. I can’t understand him.” Devan felt that answer was obvious. Filiberto, probably like himself, wasn’t comfortable being given money that wasn’t rightfully his. “Oh well, can’t force someone to take free money.”

“How does Filiberto know that money isn’t yours, Jesse,” Stefan inquired.

“Oh, well EVERYBODY knows Nikolai pays everything for me. Even Filiberto. It’s no secret.” So Filiberto was aware that Jesse was in a relationship, Stefan thought. “Speaking of secrets, I got a juicy one for you both.” Devan and Stefan looked at one another. They didn’t know whether to be intrigued or worried.

“What is it?” Devan asked. Jesse poked out his lips again and gradually moved closer to the two. That mischievous look was on his face again. Stefan and Devan had their ears pointed in Jesse’s direction.

“Well?” Stefan said.

Jesse looked around before moving close to the two. “You know I’m fucking Filiberto, right?.”

Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2017 BDANR; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I just don't know what to say. Good writing when it produces emotion. Trying to find anything redeeming in Jesse, with nothing.

 Jesse is selfish, self-involved, and no friend. The nail in coffin was when he happily exclaimed his cheating.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
17 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

I just don't know what to say. Good writing when it produces emotion. Trying to find anything redeeming in Jesse, with nothing.

 Jesse is selfish, self-involved, and no friend. The nail in coffin was when he happily exclaimed his cheating.

Thank you for complimenting my writing :)!!! Jesse is very hard to empathize with. I think this is the first time I've created a main character that readers will have a hard time caring much about :o!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I was so happy to see Jesse show a bit of selflessness in the last chapter, but then like a punch to the gut, the boy goes back to his selfish ways. lol

 

I am loving the pace of this story. 

 

 

Link to comment
On 9/10/2017 at 11:34 PM, R J Drew said:

I was so happy to see Jesse show a bit of selflessness in the last chapter, but then like a punch to the gut, the boy goes back to his selfish ways. lol

 

I am loving the pace of this story. 

 

 

Sorry!! Yeah, Jesse's got a long way to go xD! Thanks for enjoying my pace :)!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..