Jump to content
    Brayon
  • Author
  • 567 Words
  • 1,381 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Shorts, and Flash Fictions - 1. Prompt #576 – First Line "How much longer do I have, doctor?"

A short based on Writing Prompt 576.

“How much longer do I have, doctor?” Marcus asked as he looked over to Doctor Morgan as he walked in.

“Not much longer, just got a prostate exam to do for your physical, and then you can go back to your day,” the Doctor replied with a soothing tone.

“Do we have to? You know I don’t like getting those.”

“Unfortunately, yes; with both your Brother and Father developing Prostate Cancer, you’re at a much higher risk than normal. Your blood work, came back fine, and the MRI shows you’re cancer free, but we’ve got to do a physical test to see if your prostate is enlarged.”

“Alright, let’s get it over with,” Marcus says with a sigh. He hated going to the Doctor, he hated getting poked and prodded, and his blood drawn, and everything else that went along with Physicals and Doctor’s visits. He’d been putting this off for days, knowing that it was inevitable, but after his Husband’s demand that he go and get checked, he relented and scheduled the appointment.

Doctor Morgan was the Family Doctor that Marcus had seen all his life. He trusted him, and though he was only Twenty-two-years-old, he knew these exams were important. Marcus bent over, letting the Doctor do his test, and was finished in no time flat.

“There you go. You can pull up your underwear, and get comfortable.”

“How is it Doc,” Marcus asked again, this time a bit nervous.

“All within normal parameters for a man your age,” Doctor Morgan replied. “I can say you’ve passed this physical with flying colors. Though I did notice something with your blood work.”

“What is it Doc?”

“Well, this is the first time I noticed this. Your Dad and Brother are both ‘A’ positive blood type, while your Mother is ‘AB’ positive. Your blood type, Marcus, is ‘O’ positive. An improbable occurrence, in a Family’s like this. The Children of such parents can only be one of three blood types; A, AB, or B. Never type O.”

“What are you telling me Doc? That my parents are not my parents?” Marcus asked stunned.

“There is no easy way to say this, but yes, it is not possible that they are your biological parents,” he says with a hint of compassion, mixed with a bit of sadness. “I’ll let you get dressed, and I’ll send your Husband, Phillip, in for you.”

“Thanks,” was all Marcus could reply. After Doctor Morgan stepped out, Marcus mechanically got dressed and was sitting numbly on the exam gurney, when his Husband walked in. He hadn’t noticed when he started crying, but as Philip walked over to him, Marcus began to bawling and grasped onto his love.

“What’s wrong babe?” Phillip asked, scared. “Was there a problem with the tests?”

“No… Yes… Maybe… I don’t know,” Marcus replied between sobs. “It’s not cancer… but… Doctor Morgan discovered that my parents couldn’t be mine.” He lost himself in a fit of crying, as he leaned in on Philip’s chest.

Philip comforted his husband, wrapping him in his strong arms, and kissing the top of his head softly, “It will be alright Hun. We’ll get out of here, and call your Parents. Even if they are not your biological parents, they still love you. Remember that.”

They left the office shortly after, for a drive home in silence.

 

 

The End, maybe...

Quick short, I hope you liked it. I might reuse the Characters in future prompts.
Copyright © 2017 BHopper2; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

45 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

Very good... one editing error! 

Your blood work came back find. 

I think fine, not find. 

 

Thanks! Seems 2 of us missed that. :*) Glad you liked the story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Yikes, just goes to show, it's never a good idea to hide to your kid that he's adopted. At least it's not a question of his mom having cheated, if she's the AB blood type.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

Yikes, just goes to show, it's never a good idea to hide to your kid that he's adopted. At least it's not a question of his mom having cheated, if she's the AB blood type.

Exactly. I wrote the story, but I'm glad Phillip is there to pick up the pieces. If I was in Marcus' shoes I'd be a bawling baby for the better part of the day before reality sets in, and I realize what was happening around me.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 minute ago, LilDaddy98 said:

Excellent piece. Not at all where I thought it would go, but pleasantly surprised. :thumbup:

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..