Jump to content
    Brayon
  • Author
  • 876 Words
  • 1,271 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

My Shorts, and Flash Fictions - 11. The Bipolar Writer’s Muse

A practice piece with some real life elements.

“Well, it seems like now is a good time to write,” I said to myself as I sat down at the kitchen table, with my laptop, notebook, a cup of coffee and some mechanical pencils. I had done all the other tasks I had set for myself and had the house alone for a few hours. Only me and roomie’s dog, I liked it like that. Having grown up mired in depression, and diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I found solitude to be my refuge from others. No one can judge you if you’re alone.

As I waited for the six-year-old laptop to fire up, I sipped on my coffee, and looked over my notes and talked to myself, “So, who is talking to me today? Is it AJ and Tommy, or Aeris and Will? I so need to work on Devin and Brandon’s story. That one has a deadline to make it into the Fall Anthology, but they aren’t talking today… Heh, Evan is screaming at me to let him find Marcus.”

Time passed, as I logged into my laptop, started up the programs I needed, and finally had a blank Word Document that stared at me in the face… “FUCK!!! I hit that mental wall, again.”

I wasn’t sure if it was an overactive mind, or my disorder messing with me, or something else, but no one was talking. They did, while I getting ready, but now they didn’t utter a sound. “What the fuck. I had everything ready, and now I can’t work on anything. God, I am such a loser.”

“No, you’re not,” a voice said to me.

I paused my verbal assault on myself and looked around the room. “Who’s there?” I asked.

“Someone who is here to help you,” the voice responded, as a mysterious tall person materialized in next to me.

“I know I am not off my meds, and I’m bipolar, not some paranoid delusionist… so what in the world is you,” I asked the stranger. It was only now that I realized he was gorgeously tall, well built with hazel colored eyes, and jet black hair. He had some Native American in him, and the shocker was he was stark naked. I couldn’t help myself but look at his ample endowment.

I barely recovered from my shock when he spoke again. “You’re not hallucinating, and this is not related to your mental disorder. I’m your muse, and I am here to help you.” He pulled up a seat and sat next to me. “You can call me Spirit.”

“Alright, Spirit. I’ll play along for a while, but I’m feeling like I’m going crazy here.”

“Don’t be. Many writers interact with their muses in their own ways. You wouldn’t believe who talks openly, in front of non-writers with theirs. Let’s just say, they are repeatedly on the best sellers list.”

I chuckled some, as I remember reading about that somewhere, and then remembered my manners. “Would you like some coffee, or some of the roomie’s unsweet ice tea? Some underwear or a blanket?”

He laughs and shakes his head no. “I’m fine, but if you want me to cover myself, I can.”

“That might be for the best. To type, I’ll need both hands for the keyboard.” We both laugh at my crude joke, and in the blink of an eye, he has clothes on; a plain white t-shirt and black athletic shorts.

“Now, are you ready to write?”

“I am now, but I’m stuck with this mental block. It keeps happening.”

“I understand. The Great Spirits which created all things gave you additional hurdles to overcome. It wasn’t for spite, but so that you will know how significant it was for you to accomplish what you set. Look at what you already have done? You have several stories published, both online and in print. Wonderful writing friends and people that support you…” Spirit paused, and rubbed my shoulder. His smile lit my heart, and his voice sounded like a summer zephyr blowing across wind chimes. “Now, who is talking to you?”

I turn back to my notebook and look at what’s written there, “Devin and Brandon, are talking to me the most, as their story needs to be done soon. Though, I may condense it, as it’s getting to be too big for the anthology.”

“Why only for the anthology? You can easily publish it separately, and note it as inspired by the anthology theme.”

“I could do that.”

“Keep in mind, as you work, but I know you will do well.”

“Thanks,” I said blushing at his praise. I started typing losing all sense of time, as I wrote on my anthology piece. As I typed, I heard Spirit as he walked around the house, as he played with the dog, and got me another cup of coffee, when finally I heard the roomie’s car pull into the driveway.

“I have to go now, but I will be around when you need me.”

“Thanks, Spirit. I appreciated the help.”

With a smile, he dematerialized, as my roomie walked in through the front door. Though I was now without him there physically, I still felt him near me, as I wrote my story.

 

The End.

Copyright © 2017 BHopper2; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

awww. you had me laughing so much, my care giver thought i was crazy.  to me, you are very good at what you do, please try not doubt that. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Heartfelt... You do have friends who care. Keep writing and being you. Remember, Spirit will show when you least  expect. When the student is ready, the master will show. This is true for many things.

Edited by BlindAmbition
  • Like 2
Link to comment
11 hours ago, mogwhy said:

awww. you had me laughing so much, my care giver thought i was crazy.  to me, you are very good at what you do, please try not doubt that. 

LOL. I'm glad you enjoyed it Moggie, and thank you for the support you've given me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

Heartfelt... You do have friends who care. Keep writing and being you. Remember, Spirit will show when you least  expect. When the student is ready, the master will show. This is true for many things.

Thanks, jp. I do count you in as one of my GA friends. I liked the Master/Student quote you used. I'm so gonna steal it for a story.

Link to comment
11 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

Just like Spirit, we’re always around to support you when you need.. 

 

 

Thank you, Agent D. I really appreciate all the help and support you guys do.

Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Sam Wyer said:

I gotta get me one of those :) 

I would love to have a real one. LOL Thanks for reading Sam.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Kitt said:

A muse like that and i would never get anything finished!

LOL true. I think it would be very distracting.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..