Jump to content
    Billy Martin
  • Author
  • 2,714 Words
  • 5,570 Views
  • 14 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Trials and Tribulations - 13. Chapter 13 Dreams

Is trouble brewing?

Chapter 13
Dreams

The silence in the room was kinda terrifying. I didn’t expect to be yelled at; I mean, I knew that they all loved me, but I wasn’t expecting the complete silence that filled the room. I didn’t sense anger or disappointment in the air from Dad, Aunt Alice, or Uncle Steve. However, after my announcement, their attention immediately shifted from Joey and me, to Roger, and I didn’t know why. Joey nervously squeezed my hand. I squeezed back leaned and into him, trying to reassure him that everything would be okay. Of course, I had no clue what was wrong.

“Uh guys?” I raised my voice bringing everyone’s attention back to me. “What’s up here? Roger didn’t do anything.”

“Son,” Dad shook his head, and smiled, “We’re all fine with you and Joey dating. In fact, we all thought it was just a matter of time. I told you last week I would love you no matter what. As for Roger, he was supposed to keep us updated.” Dad said looking back at Roger, who was trying to sink into the couch we were sitting on.

“Please don’t be mad at Roger.” I said, pleading with my eyes as I looked at my father and then at Roger’s parents. These people meant so much to me, and I just wanted them to understand why Roger hadn’t told them. “We made him promise not to say anything to anyone. He is the best friend anyone could ever have and he kept his promise. So if you want to be mad at someone, then let it be me.”

“And at me too,” Joey interjected. There was no way he’d let me take the blame for something like this by myself. “Please be mad at me, not Roger. We asked him not to tell, and he did it more for me than anyone.”

There was silence as Aunt Alice and Uncle Steve looked at each other and smiled. Dad looked over at them and nodded before he stood up. I wasn't sure what to make of their reaction, until I saw the smile on my father’s face, then I knew everything was okay.

“Come here boys,” Dad stood up, throwing his arms wide.

Joey and I both stood and went to him. He drew us both into the tight and loving embrace that only my father is capable of giving.

“I’m so proud of both of you.” Dad smiled as he kissed us both on the forehead. I could see the tears in his eyes as he looked at us.

Aunt Alice and Uncle Steve came over to us and hugged us too, soon followed by Roger in a six-way family hug. My family.

* * * * * * * * * *

JT pushed himself back into a sitting position on the floor and raised his right hand to his mouth, wiping the blood from his split lip as he looked up into his father’s eyes.

“Boy, I told you never to sass me again. You’ll do as you’re told or else.” Mr. McCray growled at his son, scowling menacingly.

“But Poppa, I’ll be kicked off the football team, if I’m not already.” JT pleaded, shivering in fear at what else his father might do to him.

“You listen to me boy, either you uphold the family name and take care of that faggot that dishonored you, or you don’t come home, and that’s final.” His father towered over JT, watching to ensure that his son would follow orders.

JT nodded and got up off the floor. He kept his head down as he passed his father. Leaving the living room, he headed for his bedroom. Tomorrow, he would do as his father ordered. He had no choice- at least, he didn’t think he did.

* * * * * * * * * *

“Thank you, Dad, it means a lot to me that you accept Joey and me. I’ve been scared for a little over a year, when I shouldn’t have been. I love you,” I whispered in Dad’s ear, as I hugged him tighter. I took a step back and looked into my father’s eyes. They were overflowing with his love for me and his smile was filled with pride.

I turned to Aunt Alice and Uncle Steve. “Please don’t be mad at Roger.” I watched Aunt Alice shake her head a moment. Then she stepped forward, took me into her arms, and hugged me tightly.

“Don’t worry sweetie, we aren’t mad at him.”

I hugged her a little tighter, relief flooding throughout my body. I kissed her cheek and told her, “Thank you.”

That only left one member of my family to talk to. I turned my head to look over at Uncle Steve. He smiled and winked at me.

“Come here.” Uncle Steve reached out his arms for me. I walked into his fatherly embrace.

“Thank you, Uncle Steve. You have no idea how good this feels.” He hugged me tighter, and all I could think was that my family had to be the best in the entire world.

I turned looking for my boyfriend, and found him being hugged by my dad, which brought huge smile to my face.

“Boys, it’s a school night, so we better break this up,” Aunt Alice said looking between Roger, Joey, and me.

I turned to Dad. “Is it okay if I walk Joey home?”

“Before you guys leave, can I ask what you plan on telling your friends about the two of you?”

I looked at Joey to make sure it was alright if I answered for the both of us. The gentle nod that he gave me told me I could.

“We’re not going to tell anyone yet. When we do, it’ll only be after we both agree to do so.”

All three adults smiled and nodded their approval.

We all left Dad, leaving by the back door and crossing over through the adjoining backyards. They went on in, leaving Joey and me on the back porch. As we faced each other, holding hands, there was a brilliant full moon lighting Joey’s angelic face causing my heart rate to increase and leaving me totally breathless. Joey leaned in, and I met him half way. As our lips touched, I felt our souls connect.

“I better go in,” Joey said as he broke the kiss.

“I love you, angel boy.” I smiled and nodded.

“I love you too. Good night, Andy.”

“Good night, babe.” He smiled and went in, leaving me feeling like a million bucks.

As I was walking back, the feeling Joey left me with had me smiling from ear to ear. The joy from knowing that Joey loved me back just increased, and I couldn’t hold it in any longer. I pumped my fist in the air and yelled at the top of my lungs, “YES!” My entire family now knew the truth and they supported us. Who could ask for anything better?

I didn’t sleep well that night at all. I had a nightmare and woke up from it drenched in cold sweat and screaming. I don’t remember screaming, but Dad heard me, and came running in to check on me. I dreamed that I was on High Rock and could see for miles and miles. On the horizon, I could see a gathering of dark clouds. As I turned and looked in any direction, all I could see were dark, ugly, greenish, clouds. Yet if I looked straight up, the sun was bright and warm overhead. As I looked around, the storm clouds seemed to be getting closer, and the wind was picking up. At first, I thought I saw rain falling from the clouds, but as the clouds neared, it looked more like fingers were reaching down from the clouds toward the ground. They danced from hilltop to hilltop, all the while closing in on me. The wind began to howl and get stronger and stronger. I could see the destruction that these fingers were causing, as they got closer. It was then that I realized that these fingers were tornadoes. I was surrounded by tornadoes, and they were tightening the circle of destruction around me. I looked down at the foot of the mountain where Pine Hills was and saw tornado after tornado pass through the town I’d lived my whole life. I saw homes being torn apart. When one past over the Cherry Hills Outpatient Clinic, I swear that I could see glowing rocks spiral up into the funnel cloud.

The destruction that I was seeing wasn’t the worst of it, for houses and towns could be rebuilt. I was filled with so much fear that it was like a poison, racing through my veins, causing my entire body to shake uncontrollably as I stood there paralyzed. I wasn’t afraid that I would be hurt; rather that those I love were BEING hurt. The tornadoes continued to tighten their circle around me like a noose slowly tightening around my neck. Gone was the sun overhead. The sky was filled with boiling clouds as far as I could see. As the black fingers of desctruction began their climb up the mountain towards me, there was a sudden blast of blinding white light from above. I fell to the ground and covered my eyes from the explosion of light.

I opened my eyes, and took my first looked around. The sun was shining again, and the sky was a beautiful blue; not a cloud to be seen. However, when I looked down towards Pine Hills, I could see the scars left by the tornadoes. The school was gone, the churches ripped apart, and my own neighborhood was torn asunder. There was nothing but rabble where my house and Roger’s should have stood.

Then there was a light again, not a bright as before, yet brighter than the sun light. Standing in the air, out in front of me, a figure seemed to be within the light. I then heard an angelic voice call to me.

Don't be afraid, for I stand with you and yours.”

That’s when I jerked awake. Dad said I was calling out NO over and over again until I seemed to calm down before I woke.

Before Dad left, he made sure that I was okay, and told me that he would talk to me more at breakfast. It was only six, but I knew that it was useless to try to get anymore sleep. I went ahead and started my morning routine. I knew I had to gather my thoughts for Dad, but I also knew I wouldn’t have to work to remember that dream. I will never be able to forget it.

I was rattled. I have had more than my fair share of bad dreams before; but most of them had dealt with me losing my mom, and my fear of becoming an orphan, so this feeling wasn’t totally unknown to me. Yet, I had never felt as alone as I did in this dream, not to mention completely helpless to protect everyone that I loved. Then at the end, I didn’t understand the voice or the bright light.

When I rounded the corner, Dad was sitting at the kitchen table, reading the newspaper.

“How are you feeling, Andy?”

“I don’t know. It was a weird dream.”

“You have plenty of time, so sit down, and tell me about it,” Dad said, as he pushed out the chair next to him at the table. I sat down and began to tell him about my nightmare.

After hearing the whole thing, Dad had me repeat the end of the dream to him a second time.

I watched my father’s reaction as I did so. He was staring off into space listening to me. When I finished, he looked at me, smiled, and nodded.

“I know your dream was disturbing, but if it holds any deeper meaning, then the ending can only be interpreted as a good omen. Focus on that, and I’m sure you’ll feel much better about it, okay?” Dad said as he leaned forward and patted me on the shoulder. “Go ahead and have breakfast, then I will take you boys to school.”

I nodded, got up, got my breakfast, and ate in silence, all the while thinking over the horrific dream and Dad’s interpretation. Thinking about the voice did make me feel better, but I couldn’t forget the destruction.

I couldn’t help but worry that something bad was coming our way and I didn’t know if it could be stopped. A story I had been reading online, Clan Short – Memories, came to mind. The boys in the story had a saying; sometimes we need to go through bad things for good things to happen. Maybe this was one of those situations. I just wish there were some way to keep bad things from happening and still have good things happen.

As I was finishing breakfast, Dad had me call over and tell Roger and Joey to get ready, since we’d be leaving in five minutes. I wondered if I should tell them about my dream on the ride to school, but decided against it.

Dad dropped us off in front of school. I swallowed the fear that had not subsided and walked into the building with Joey and Roger.

Roger walked on without us when Joey stopped me at the door after we walked in.

“What’s wrong Andy?” he asked, turning me to face him.

“I don’t know.” I sighed. “I just have a feeling something bad is gonna happen.”

Joey looked me in the eye. “As long as we stand together, we have nothing to fear.”

“What did you just say?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I said, as long as…” I interrupted him.

“I know what you said.” I said a little harsh. “I’m sorry, Joey. I didn’t mean to bite your head off, but this is just too weird and it kinda has me freaked out. It reminded me what a voice told me in my dream last night.” I grabbed him by the arm, started walking us towards my locker, and I proceeded to tell him about the heavenly voice from my nightmare. When I finished, Joey gave me a weird look.

I didn’t get a chance to explain further before I was shoved from behind into the lockers and put a two inch dent in one, with my head. As I shook the pain out of my head, I realized I was sitting on the floor with my back against the lockers, and blood was pouring down my face from a gash in my forehead. I looked up and saw JT had pinned Joey up against a locker, choking my boyfriend with his forearm. If the blood wasn’t causing me to see red, the sight before me was now. Flanking JT were Jonas and Kevin, two of his lackeys from the football team.

None of them was paying any attention to me. I quickly jumped up before any of our attackers noticed, and I hit JT with all my might on the side of his head, knocking him to the floor. I was more than happy to return the favor for the blow I had been given. As I turned to face Jonas, from out of nowhere, Roger tackled him and started raining blows down on his face and body. That meant two out of the three bullies were now down which just left Kevin. I turned to take on Kevin; but all I saw was his back as he ran down the hall, as fast as he could. I turned my attention back to JT. He had now tried to beat Joey up twice and he had attacked me. I started for JT, who was still on the floor dazed. The blood from the cut on my head was starting to run into my eyes, stinging and serving to make me even angrier.

I was just about to make him pay for attacking us, when I heard a commanding voice that I had no choice but to obey.

“STOP!”

a href="http://www.thetrevorproject.org/">I'd like to thank everyone that voted for Trials and Tribulations for Best Story by a New Author. Thank you so very much!

Don't forget, if you liked it, click it. I would love to hear what you think about the story. Leave a few words in a review, because what you think matters to me.

The Trevor Project

This story is Copyright © 2011-2014 Billy Martin, All rights reserved. Distribution for commercial gain, including, but not limited to, posting on sites or newsgroups, distribution as parts or in book form (either as a whole or part of a compilation) with or without a fee, or distribution on CD, DVD, or any other electronic media with or without a fee, is expressly prohibited without the author's written consent. You may download one (1) copy of this story for personal use; any and all commercial use excepting educational institutions requires the author's written consent. Any and all linking by external sites requires the author's permission. The author may be contacted at: billybratii@gmail.com
  • Like 28
  • Love 1
  • Wow 2
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ha! Kevin and Jonas! Funny there Billy! :)

 

JT's dad is such a dirtbag, you know JT will be getting shit from his father if he fails to hurt Andy and Joey. Even suspension and expulsion won't stop JT or his father. Oohhh, maybe Andy's family could get a restraining order on them...just sayin'.

 

And speaking of Andy's family (and extended family), wow, they are terrific! I knew they would take Andy's coming out well. As if they didn't already know...lol

 

Great chapter Billy! Looking forward to the next one! I hope Andy put JT in the hospital at least! =)

Link to comment
On 04/04/2012 08:18 AM, Lisa said:
Ha! Kevin and Jonas! Funny there Billy! :)

 

JT's dad is such a dirtbag, you know JT will be getting shit from his father if he fails to hurt Andy and Joey. Even suspension and expulsion won't stop JT or his father. Oohhh, maybe Andy's family could get a restraining order on them...just sayin'.

 

And speaking of Andy's family (and extended family), wow, they are terrific! I knew they would take Andy's coming out well. As if they didn't already know...lol

 

Great chapter Billy! Looking forward to the next one! I hope Andy put JT in the hospital at least! =)

Thank you Lisa.

 

Chapter 14 may leave you surprised. :)

Link to comment

Hunh... is it me or was that a really short chapter? I'm just sayin'..... I am thinking JT doesn't turn out to be a bad guy, just an abused kid acting out.

 

Nice chapter, even if was small, smalls not always bad..... whistle.gif

Link to comment

Im far too emotional right now to respond... Save to say that i read all twelve chapters nonstop in one sitting. Give me a few hours to calm down.

.... Eish .....overwhelming...

Link to comment

Kevin and Jonas eh ? are you a jonas brother fan by any chance *laughs* Billy this was a good chapter. i am intrigued by Andy's dream since it really freaked him out. I'm glad the family was so supportive, though i am definitely not surprised. they seem like really good people and they love Andy Roger and Joey. I'm starting to feel for J.T a little bit. it seems like his father is the reason he acts the way he does . different environment may change his attitude perhaps? guess only time will tell. Oh dear the guys are going to get in trouble for fighting in school again! poor Joey always getting picked on, glad Andy and Roger were there to take down the bullies. was it the principal who stopped them? great chapter !

Link to comment

Another great chapter. I like how you wove the dream into the background about Andy's mother form the last chapter. I guess he has inherited a little something from her. He's a little too young to be a granny though :)

Link to comment
On 05/17/2013 03:06 AM, Rndmrunner said:
Another great chapter. I like how you wove the dream into the background about Andy's mother form the last chapter. I guess he has inherited a little something from her. He's a little too young to be a granny though :)
Thanks! Only time will tell concerning Andy :)
Link to comment

The reaction of the family was at first a total switch off. I couldn't believe there was silence. And then everyone looking at Roger??? You sure know how to side step the obvious and surprise us. And then it all turned out so well, as we knew it would. I think you loved teasing your readers with that!

At least JT attacked when there was help around and the three musketeers surely stood together to send the bullies fleeing! Good on them. Seems an immediate fulfillment of the dream, though I suspect there's lots more to come with the fall out from this incident.

Good as ever. Thanks so much for writing!

Link to comment
On 09/03/2014 05:06 AM, Jaro_423 said:
The reaction of the family was at first a total switch off. I couldn't believe there was silence. And then everyone looking at Roger??? You sure know how to side step the obvious and surprise us. And then it all turned out so well, as we knew it would. I think you loved teasing your readers with that!

At least JT attacked when there was help around and the three musketeers surely stood together to send the bullies fleeing! Good on them. Seems an immediate fulfillment of the dream, though I suspect there's lots more to come with the fall out from this incident.

Good as ever. Thanks so much for writing!

Jaro, than you for your review. I do read them all and try to learn from them. Your input has indeed been helpful. Thank you!
Link to comment
On 08/22/2013 04:56 PM, Daithi said:
Oops. Don't think that is going to go down well for JT
I don't know how I missed your reviews, but I did. I'm sorry. Thank you so very much for it.
Link to comment
On 04/26/2012 05:51 PM, Jammi said:
Kevin and Jonas eh ? are you a jonas brother fan by any chance *laughs* Billy this was a good chapter. i am intrigued by Andy's dream since it really freaked him out. I'm glad the family was so supportive, though i am definitely not surprised. they seem like really good people and they love Andy Roger and Joey. I'm starting to feel for J.T a little bit. it seems like his father is the reason he acts the way he does . different environment may change his attitude perhaps? guess only time will tell. Oh dear the guys are going to get in trouble for fighting in school again! poor Joey always getting picked on, glad Andy and Roger were there to take down the bullies. was it the principal who stopped them? great chapter !
LOL As matter of fact, I was at one time. But to be honest, I didn't even think about their names until you mentioned it.

 

Thanks for the review and I'm sorry for not being timely in my response.

Link to comment
On 04/07/2012 09:09 PM, LJH said:
Im far too emotional right now to respond... Save to say that i read all twelve chapters nonstop in one sitting. Give me a few hours to calm down.

.... Eish .....overwhelming...

WOW

 

How did I miss your review? I'm so sorry!

 

I hope you have calmed down by now :)

Link to comment
On 04/04/2012 11:26 AM, PrivateTim said:
Hunh... is it me or was that a really short chapter? I'm just sayin'..... I am thinking JT doesn't turn out to be a bad guy, just an abused kid acting out.

 

Nice chapter, even if was small, smalls not always bad..... whistle.gif

Thank you Tim!

 

I'm sorry I missed this review. ALL reviews are special to me. And Yes, short chapter, but I hope you liked it nonetheless.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..