Jump to content
    Bndmetl
  • Author
  • 3,271 Words
  • 6,388 Views
  • 31 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

November Falls - 9. Chapter 9 - Brady

Chapter 9

Brady

 

“That’s cool Dad! Congratulations!!” Novy said with a mouthful of Cornflakes.

“Don’t…”

“What’s cool,” Mum asked as she sauntered into the dining room, followed by my brother Cameron. Mum sat down at the opposite end of the table to my Dad. Cameron walked to the buffet and made himself a coffee at the pod machine.

“…speak with your mouth full.” Thanks for letting me finish.

“Dad got a job,” my son spoke with his mouth full again.

“Don’t…”

“Yes. I’m surprised Ember even gave you the opportunity,” she gave me that Mum glare, the one you get when you know you're in trouble for something but not quite sure you're ready to admit guilt for anything just in case it’s not what you think.

Cam raised an eyebrow at me as he took his mug away from the machine then sat down next to Novy.

“Hey, Uncle Cam,” Novy greeted his Uncle with a mouthful of cornflakes.

“D…”

“Dude, don’t speak with a mouthful of food! Were you raised in a barn?” Cam smirked at me.

“Huh?” Novy looked up at his Uncle.

“Thank you,” I said sweeping my arm in front of me. “Finally!

“Huh?” My son looked over at me.

“Don’t speak with your mouth full,” Cam and I said at the same time.

“Oh,” Novy said sheepishly, then shoved more food into his gob. “Sorry.”

Cam cuffed Novy on the back of the head.

Hang on, did Mum just say Ember!

“What do you mean Ember? I know Ember works there, but Justin offered me a job,” I said confused.

Mum snorted ever so ladylike, flicking her wrist in my direction, “…which he wouldn’t have been able to do without Ember’s okay.”

“Oh yeah, why’s that?” I asked knowing I wasn’t going to like the answer.

“Because it’s his business. Ember, owns ‘The Chop Shop.’”

Dad grunted for confirmation while he read the newspaper and my loving brother was silently laughing his arse off across the table. Big Help!

“Shouldn’t you be at home, polishing your crotch rocket or at work?” I said to Cam.

“Nah, polished it yesterday, and I don’t work again until tomorrow. Besides this is way more fun,” said my brother smirking and rocking on his chair.

Novy’s eyes were passing around the table from adult to adult trying to work out what was happening. I’m sure I looked like one of those boggle-eyed goldfish in a panic.

FUCK ME! Could things get any worse?

<>-<>-<>

The one good thing about small towns is that there isn’t much traffic. Even in peak hour, the roads get busy but not congested. Lucky for me. It’s not like my mind was really on the task at hand. Driving to my first day of work, my brain wouldn’t switch off. I have that deep gnawing in the pit of my stomach. As if I wasn’t nervous enough, now I have to go to work knowing that Ember himself had given me a job. I swear I don’t remember Justin ever saying anything about November owning the mechanic shop. I remember the conversation clear as day:

We had all finished eating. A server was clearing the empty dishes and glasses from the table. I was talking to the guy next to me - what was his name, he came with the big guy in the tow truck - P-something, Poco, Pippy, Pix, that was it Pix. He is a Pediatric Nurse, bright and bubbly, intelligent, a nice kid. Anyway, we were interrupted by Justin.

“Hey Brady, you got a minute,” asked Justin nodding towards an empty booth to the side.

We walked over and sat away from the celebrations for Novy and AJ. My face dropped as soon as Justin spoke. I was happy, almost lit up, talking with the young nurse until Justin called me over. I dreaded what he wanted - probably to tell my family and me to get the hell out.

“Hey no, Brady, relax,” Justin told me trying to calm me down. I must look like he wanted to steal my pet puppy or something. I really do have to learn a poker face, steel my reactions so to speak. I used to have one until I came out. Now my life is such a mess, and I’m so insecure, people can read me like a book.

“Look I just wanted to tell you that I’ve spoken to the boss about your application at work.” I felt the blood drain my face, my head started to go light, I reached out, grabbing Justin’s bicep in case I passed out again. When I realised what I’d done, my hand dropped from his arm like a hot potato.

“Sorry,” I muttered.

“It’s all good buddy,” Justin chuckled, I looked around nervously. Cameron was watching us with a frown. When I looked at him he cocked his eyebrow at me in concern. It was nice to know my brother had my back even if he does want to get into Justin’s pants. “The boss said you can have a four-week trial. Don’t stuff it up, else I’m going to get it in the neck too.”

My gaze flicked back to Justin, ‘What did he say,’ I thought.

“I can start a four-week trial,” I said incredulously, “I got the job.”

Justin chuckled, “Yes, but there is one thing, a word of advice - do not mess with Ember in any way.”

Now I was a little annoyed and probably shouldn’t have said what I said next, but it just flew out. I know I definitely deserved the skepticism from everyone, but seriously that was twenty years ago.

“When is everyone going to see that I’m not the asshole I was twenty years ago.”

Justin tapped my forearm from underneath, “Look, Brady, just persevere. I’m starting to see it. Ember will come around eventually. At some point he’ll recognise you for who you are now. You and your friends did a real number on his self-esteem and confidence back in high school. Unfortunately, you’re just going to have to ride it out.”

“Thanks, Justin, for the opportunity, and going to bat for me. I assure you I’m not here to mess with November. I just want to move on from the mess I’ve made of my life,” I answered a little less excited than I felt.

“I GOT A JOB!” I mouthed to my brother.

Cam grinned giving me the thumbs up. Ember looked over, lifting an eyebrow, smirking away. He was sitting with my mother - god knows what was going on in that conversation.

I had finally made it to ‘The Chop Shop,’ parking next to November’s truck, sitting in my car and trying to steel my nerves. Thankfully, I still had ten minutes before they were expecting me. I took a couple of deep breaths and hopped out of the car ready to be put to work. Making my way through the office door, I felt the urge to about-face and run like hell, but my fight or flight response seems to be heavily leaning toward fight at the moment. I need to make things right with November. This seems like the perfect opportunity for that to happen, plus I needed to earn money so I could get Novy and me the hell out of my parent's house. I don’t know what was said between my Mum and November on Saturday, but she has been plain snarky to me ever since. Again, my own fault. So much for being civil to each other for the sake of the kids, I guess.

The reception area was empty when I entered through the front door. There was a bell on the counter, so I gave it a ding. Mags entered from a door behind reception.

“Ah, Brady,” she said coming forth and opening the gate which was to stop customers entering the work area. “Come on through - we are about to start the Monday meeting.”

Mags took me back to what I assume is the break room. It had a long table and chairs that would seat about ten people. It looked like it was where it should be, grease marks, ripped corners on some chairs - it had seen better days, but what you’d expect at a workshop - a fridge against one of the walls, and a bench with a sink, cupboards underneath, and a kettle off to the side, which also looked like a health hazard. Perfect!

The room was full of men: November, Justin, a young bloke not much older than my son, a man older than my Dad, and a Gigantor. Mags cleared her throat, and all the men shut up.

“Guys, this is Brady Douglass. He’s starting here today working with Justin.” The woman turned to me. “Brady, I assume you know Justin,” she pointed him out, then moved clockwise around the table after I nodded. “Next to him the old fella is Jim - he’s our go-for man; then there’s Troy - he’s the Boss’s mechanical apprentice; the big fella is Basher - he runs tyres and suspension, he’s also my son.” She put her hand over her heart. “And this is the Boss, Ember. Everything runs through him. We all call him Boss, you should do the same. If you need or want anything, he’s the man for you.” Okay, I’ll take him.

November scoffed, my stomach dropped. “Mags, there hasn’t been a decision made at this workshop that you didn’t have to give your okay since the day you walked through the door.” Everyone laughed.

“Yeah, well, none of you can be trusted to wipe your own arse properly, so there you have it!” Mags turned back to me. “Have a seat.” then indicated to me, so I took the first one available which happened to be next to Basher. Scary name, scary man. Gigantor grunted when I sat down. November and Justin shot him a look to say ‘behave.’ The man leant back diagonally in his seat crossing his arms and stretching his legs out just past mine, just to let me know I was on probation with him as he took up my personal space. Message received.

“Okay enough of the bullshit. We’ve got a busy week ahead guys,” Mags announced picking up her clipboard. “Ember, you and Troy are doubled on bookings until Wednesday, Jim I’ve put you on the schedule through to Thursday, Thursday is a half day. Let me know if you can’t. Justin, you’re lucky Brady is here. You are solidly booked for the entire week, with a waiting list if any availability comes up.” Justin sighed and dropped his head. Ember chuckled and cuffed him on the shoulder. Basher, you’re also pretty busy and a lift-kit, Tuesday, and Thursday.”

“Sure Mama,” he said.

“I’ve saved the best for last,” Mags’ smile was evil, scary family, “Ember, the red Torana will be here tomorrow – blew his clutch.”

Ember threw his head back, “Mother F… that kid I swear,” he let out in frustration. Troy, the apprentice, sighed and shook his head.

“Someone needs to show that F-wit how to look after a sweet ride like that,” Troy said sadly.

“And Basher…” Mags started, and Basher waved his hand at her.

“Yeah, yeah, new back tyres, and a spare. I’ve always got a set for the Torana in stock,” Basher said shaking his head.

“Great,” she said looking around the table, “well what are you waiting for, a bloody invitation? Get to work you bunch of lazy lay-abouts. Move your arse!”

<>-<>-<>

The week has gone fairly smoothly. I mostly worked outside Justin’s workshop. I installed car stereo’s, back up camera’s, and CB radios. Justin worked on a bunch of solar panel jobs for caravans. He was easy to work with - he only hung around over my shoulder for half of my first day. Once he could see I was able to do without his help he left me to it. Every now and then he would yell out for me to pass him something up a ladder. By close of business Thursday, we had managed to whittle Justin’s waiting list down to next to nothing. Each day Mag’s was able to ring a few on the list and get them to book their cars in. They seemed impressed by my work and dedication to getting things done.

It was great working in the fresh with the vehicle’s parked outside the workshop. Every now and then I was able to catch a glimpse of November while he was moving a car or talking with a customer. The man still gets to me - everything about him, the way he moves, talks, laughs, everything the man does is smooth and graceful. The way November looks in his work overalls invites various naughty mechanic fantasies. Unfortunately, I only get to play them out in my head at night in bed alone or the shower. We have had very little interaction since I started, mainly in the office if I am dropping paperwork off to Mag’s. His workshop is attached to the office, so I have to walk through to get to it. Now that it’s Friday, with a whole week of work and glimpses of November under my belt, I’m ready for a break from him.

“Hey Brady,” Justin said from behind the bonnet of a Commodore as I entered our workshop, “would you mind taking my paperwork up to Mags, I have my hands full here.”

“Yeah, sure. Did you need a hand?” I asked.

“Uh…” Justin popped his head around the bonnet, “Nah, I’m almost done. If I don’t get this paperwork up to her by three, she’ll have my balls hanging from my earlobes.”

I let out a laugh, “The woman runs a tight ship alright.”

“That she does,” Justin said with a smile and a roll of the eyes.

I grabbed the clipboards that held paperwork and wandered to the office. I entered through the back door of November’s workshop to get to the office. His work bay was clear and he was sweeping the floor. Looking around his work area made me wonder what his home looked like. There is nothing out of place - it’s always clean and clear of any clutter, well for a mechanic’s work area anyway. Everything seems to have a place and everything in its place.

“Brady!” My name was roared angrily.

My head snapped toward the opening of the workshop. Paul was storming at me. Fuck me!

“What do you want, Paul? I’m working.” I turned toward him.

“I heard you were working here. What the fuck are you doing?” Paul huffed, then reached out for my arm.

I pulled back surprised, “What the hell is your problem?” I spat angrily.

Paul leaned in, his mouth practically foaming, “You can’t possibly want to work here with these fairies. The whole town will know and think you’re a fag too. They know we’re friends - they’ll think I’m one, how can you do this?”

I studied Paul for a second - he had been drinking I could smell the booze on him. “If you mean gay, then that’s fine by me, I am.” I studied the arrogant prick for a quick moment. “You’re drunk, and you’re irrational. Go home and sleep it off,” I waved my hand dismissively, moving toward the office. Paul grabbed my arm angrily and twisted me around. I nearly fell to the ground. November stepped between me and Paul in a second flat.

“LEAVE! NOW!” November firmly stated.

“Ha! You fucking him?” Paul asked with a psychotic laugh. He stepped to the right so he could see me, “This your boyfriend now, letting him plow you up the ass?”

SMACK!

Paul stumbled backward after November punched him in the face, then stalked after him. Dropping the clipboards, moving quickly I put myself between Paul and November, my arms stretched between them.

Paul’s eyes were on fire, “You’ll regret this, fucking fag,” he yelled while he held his jaw.

“Don’t fucking call him that,” I said through gritted teeth.

“Oh, that’s right you’re a fairy too,” Paul spat.

“Fucking go, NOW!” I moved toward Paul, as he backed away.

Paul spun on his heel going to his car screaming over his shoulder, “This ain’t over.”

After I watched him get in his car and speed away, I took my phone out of my pocket and rang the cops to let them know Paul was driving under the influence. Turning around, November was glaring at me.

“What the fuck was that about?” November shouted at me. “Don’t bring your fucking shit to my business. I’ve devoted my life to this business. I won’t let you fucking destroy it. Maybe you working here isn’t a good idea.”

November then turned and walked away from me, I hurried after him, getting in his face.

“November, firstly I don’t know why he was here,” I said panicked, “I haven’t spoken to him since the day after the reunion. Which by the way, I kicked him out. Paul is an asshole. Besides the reunion, I hadn’t spoken to him in twenty years. Not since I left school for university.”

“Don’t fucking play me asshole…” Ember stepped around me to storm off.

“I wouldn’t do that, when are you going to accept…”

Ember spun around, pinning me to the workbench. His hand fisting my shirt against my chest powerfully holding me in place. I searched his face, his pupils were blown, signalling something, it was lust or maybe anger. I don’t know. Something stopped him, he hesitated while his eyes were drinking me in. Ember’s hand moved from my chest, wrapping around the back of my neck, he slid his thumb along my jawline. My heart was racing. I could feel my neck starting to flush, somehow, I just knew he wasn’t going to hurt me. In one swift movement, he lifted me onto the workbench, his lips crashed into mine. My legs lifted up and wrapped around his waist. As if by some external control. I pulled him towards me. I felt Ember’s groan vibrate through me, as I pushed my hardness into his.

“Fuck!” Ember whispered.

His hands came up my body and ending with a tight grip of my hair – it almost hurt - it was incredible. He held my head in place, biting my bottom lip, I relaxed a small amount, his tongue speared into my mouth, starting the deepest, most passionate, earth-shattering kiss I’ve ever had. We pulled apart breathless, panting like we had just run a marathon, staring at each other. I reached out wrapping my hands around the back of his neck pulling him back to me, plunging into his mouth. Our teeth clashed. If anything, it made it even hotter. Our tongues colliding, wrestling - it was almost like a dance. I could feel his heart pounding against my chest. I’m not going to last long if this continued. I heard a door slam, we finally broke apart. Ember backed away, not even looking to see who came through the door and disappeared out the back.

I looked up to see Basher with a stunned look on his face. He frowned. Neither of us could look each other in the eye. I subconsciously brought my fingers up to my mouth. I could still feel Ember’s lips on mine. His smell lingered - it was intoxicating. Basher was looking between me and the door that Ember had just gone through.

Hope y'all like this installment of Brady and Ember in November Falls (Or November can be a bone head sometimes, haha) Have a great week everyone, thanks for your support and comments both Joh and I appreciate it. Till next week -peace out... John
JT Babbage & Cameron Austin
  • Like 49
  • Love 41
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



5 hours ago, BlindAmbition said:

It was so hot my jelly donut started leaking.

Your jelly donut squirted across the table, it wasn’t just leaking!  ;–)

Link to comment
On 5/26/2018 at 11:40 AM, Bft said:

Oh my god that is so not fair to leave us hanging in suspense like this.

Oh boy is going to be a long week until next Friday. 😍

You seem surprised by the cruelty of the suspense😊  they've got this down to a science! Meanies! They're both meanies!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Whew that was worth the wait! I can’t wait for things to escalate between them - the tension continues to ratchet up!

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 25 de maio de 2018 at 11:34 AM, BlindAmbition said:

The sparks have flown. That last scene was hot. Not only do we believe in cliffy torture, but now we’re stopping with scenes that give blue balls until Friday. 😉

 

i hope the author is keep all readers cliffhanging to teach us that it is friday untill 12:00PM, right?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

 

Thank you for all your comments and support in this chapter, I hadn't realised until now that we hadn't responded to your comments. Please accept apologies for that, there is no excuse. We do appreciate you giving your feedback and comments on each chapter, so please continue to do so and we will respond.

 

Joh :hug:

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..