Jump to content
    C James
  • Author
  • 1,805 Words
  • 2,249 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2007 - Winter - Worth Fighting For Entry

Requiem - 1. Requiem

Caressing the old and battered watch, studying this treasured memento of your first campaign, you hear again its faithful ticking, keeping cadence, as it always had, with your heart.

You have attained the lofty pinnacle of power, but at what bitter cost? The price, oh, the price... A lifetime of lies, the true self subsumed, locked away, banished to the darkest recesses. Outwardly you portray, as you must, the confident air of success, of dignity and wisdom, a presence crafted with care to fit your seniority and image, woven as carefully as any suit from Seville Row, though far easier to tarnish or bring to utter ruin.

How often do you admit, even to yourself, your true nature, or your true desires? Even now, at the twilight of your life, after fifty long years in the public eye, can you admit to your inner, secret self what you are? Or has over three-quarters of a century living a lie deprived you of even that last vestige of honesty?

With great difficulty, mindful evermore of your physician’s dire warnings, you enter that august chamber, the very air heavy with the weight of history. Taking your seat, a seat you have held for nigh on thirty years, you run your gnarled hand over the ancient oak, pondering, as you had so often in recent days, upon your legacy.

Over twenty years in the House and thirty more in the Senate; but what is your mark upon history? Were you honest, which of course you cannot be even to yourself, you would recognize a career noteworthy for its mediocrity, tempered only by political expediency. Oh, you swept to your first victory on a tide of high-minded idealism; of that, even your critics would attest. However, like an insidious cancer, the never-ending quest for re-election soon brought you to compromise your principles; a vote here, a position taken there, all too soon becoming one of the self-serving ilk you had so oft pledged to fight.

The years, the long and weary years, wore on; taking their toll. After so many decades worshiping at the altar of political expediency, your long-forgotten idealism cast off into the dark and dusty cloakroom of your mind, do you even know what you stand for?

Furtive liaisons, followed always by the now-familiar emotions of shame and fear, had become your way until the frailties of age had at last ended that phase of your life, allowing you the comfort of your own begotten lies. Can you realize, even now, what it is you really are?

The greatest price was paid by those around you; a failed marriage, then another, followed by yet another. Your children; bitter, alienated, never understanding, for how could they? You dared not explain.

A life without love and thus bereft of an inner, higher meaning that might, just might, have allowed you to retain your ideals, to strive for the greater good as you so often pledged, yet so rarely did, or even cared.

You knew this vote was coming. At first, it was hardly worthy of your attention; political expediency demanded that you vote against it, your decision thus a foregone conclusion. However, as your doctors made exquisitely clear, you no longer need concern yourself with re-election; your last campaign is done and over. That in itself ought to have granted you the freedom to resume your old ideals, but habits die hard, and lies die harder still.

The vote... it nagged at you, tugging on something, of what you did not know. That something, though, is your conscience. So long buried, so long subsumed, still it lives in the furthest reaches of your mind.

Through the long committee process, you had watched, hoping that the legislation would never attain the floor; thus avoiding the need for your vote. This, however, was not to be; the bill had cleared the committees by the slightest of margins, reaching the floor through parliamentary legerdemain, your colleagues lining up in support or opposition. Long experience allowed you to judge that it would be close, so very close, yet still you wondered at the disquiet in your mind.

Your hope that a colleague would attach an unpalatable rider or earmark was soon dashed; the bill would come to the floor, unhindered and unencumbered. Still, your vote should be easy enough; the god of expediency is quite clear in its demands.

The old chamber echoed with the sharp rapport of a gavel, breaking the wordy exhortations pro and con as your colleagues, as they were wont to do, voiced opinions and positions meant for cameras, not the chamber, for sound-bytes rather than the vote itself. You certainly did not intend to speak; why should you, with so little to be gained, no political motive for you to take a public stand. Your days, drawing to a close as you well know, have been dedicated to the pursuit of your legacy; a library bearing your name here, a federal building there. In this vote, for you at least, there stands no profit, no gain; far better that it should pass or fail with nary a word from you. With no axe to grind, no horse in this race, it is not your fight, or so you outwardly let yourself believe.

The clatter of the Speaker’s Gavel jars your attention; the final call as the vote itself looms. To your shock, and in no small part your horror, your body betrays you, aching joints protesting as you clamber to your feet. You had no intent to rise, not that you could admit, even to yourself. With a sweep of your frail arm, you acknowledge your possession of the floor, as a slight but nonetheless persistent tightness clutches at your chest.

Loosening your tie, taking a sip of water, you cast your eyes about the chamber as you begin to speak. Your gift for oratory, once renowned, had fled with your ideals so many decades past. To your mild amusement and nagging concern, you judge your opening remarks eloquent, the old fire returning, one last and final time.

You speak; your position, as intended, unclear, “My learned colleagues,” you so softly roar, “I ask that you consider the facts, for facts can have no shades of gray. They are, or ought to be, our sentinels and guides. Consider, if you will, that throughout much of history the terms ‘queer’ and ‘pervert’ have been indelibly attached to those who follow the lifestyle which we here address this very day. For our children’s sake, for our honor, we of the Senate must make the correct decision. In the fullness of time, society changes, then changes again. Some day, perhaps, a spirit of greater tolerance may prevail, but that day is not this day. Our decision must be based on the here and now, on society as it exists today. Too many oppose any change, any alteration of their precious institution...”

Weighing your words with great care, you prepare your coming lines; a standard, prudent call to defer any change, to defeat the bill, for what other position could you publicly take?

Louder, though with a harsh echo of frailty, your wizened face beginning to flush, you pause for effect; the pressure in your chest burning now, spurring you to haste as your inner battle comes to the fore, “For the sake of the many, not of the few, we must remember history, and learn its harsh lessons well. For the sake of the many, we must remember...” a pause, unplanned, breaks your words, the vice gripping your chest serving stark notice that your time is finite in more ways than one. Thinking of the past, those parts of it that so many chose to forget or ignore, along with your own past and the forlorn thoughts of what might have been but now could never be, the war within comes forever to an end. Your decision, a shock even to yourself, is now clear as a penultimate calm steels your nerve, “We must remember Justice, above all else; Justice for all, not of the many, but for all. Too often, our role devolves to that of being mere guardians of the status-quo, the greater good sent sacrifice to the high and lofty altar of political expediency.”

A murmur spreads throughout the room, expressions of confusion, of surprise, filling the stately chamber as your colleagues realize that you do not intend to take the anticipated route. A minority of those gazes turn towards concern as you loosen your collar further, your visage pallid as the agony in your chest becomes too great to discount, though ignore it you do, for ignore it you must; the fight, one you never prior dared embrace, is joined. “‘For the children’; that high and lofty creed, is one oft spoken within these hallowed halls. Yes, for the children, be they our sons, be they our daughters, but for all our children, for are they not all worthy of Justice? Marriage may seem like a small thing, but marriage denied is the very measure of inequity; the last bastion of the last acceptable prejudice. For surely we all agree, prejudice based upon color is wrong; so too it follows, and we must acknowledge here this day, that prejudice based upon whom we love is wrong.”

Fighting to remain on your feet, your embattled soul at last finding ease, an ease belied by your failing voice; “We must not succumb to religious bigotry, for that selfsame bigotry has found use, throughout the dark corridors of human history, to support slavery, to support racism, along with a host of other shames long since forsworn. No, we must act, for the children; those living, and too, those yet to be. Countless lives have been lived in fear, lives wasted in hiding, or in lies, forced to conceal their love and in so many cases never knowing love, which may be the greatest loss of all. Think of the children, then, of the sons and daughters who will face denial, self-loathing, hate and worse, think of so many lives wasted, wasted in denial and deceit, lives like theirs... The pain and loneliness that they have felt...

“No, not they. In truth, for that pain and loneliness...” the crushing agony, so great that you can barely speak, ends, and with that end comes courage, for you know what it is that is ending. With your ultimate breath you impart, “...the word I must use is we –” as your watch ticks on alone.

The deed done, purpose served, free at last of the weight you have borne these many long years, a faint, unnoticed smile graces your face, lost amidst the erupting bedlam caused by your collapse, as that final darkness, descends.

Please visit this story's discussion thread

© 2007 C James
  • Like 10
  • Love 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2007 - Winter - Worth Fighting For Entry

Story Discussion Topic

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Wow! What a powerful writing. Your delivery of this is right on the money. Totally unexpected, but great!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Gripping. A superb summation of the dark realities of politics. Ten years later, it brings to mind recent events in the senate. This was eloquent, powerful, and still timely. Thanks you. Cheers... Gary....

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Wow. Loved it ! Short but strong and probably very true for politicians who can get reelected again and again.

In my country this reelection works not completely the same... as we have many parties and no districts.

But I guess the moral issue and the ethics probably are the same.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I agree. This piece is powerful in its delivery and it still resonates today.  

Excellent, very well done! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Well written and crafted to provide an impactful punch. The message is still valid today and will be for a long time. The effect on me as I read it was that the hairs on my body stood on end, this alone is testament to it's relevance to us all. This piece should have more recognition.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

A very powerful and well written piece that is so relevant today as a conservative SC throws out human rights.  Congress now needs to take a stand on women's rights, but next up are the rights of all other minorities.  I hope the Senate and House members have the great courage of this character to speak the truth in spite of the usual tendencies of sound bites for votes.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Ten years after you wrote this, we still need more voices in the House and Senate to reach deep into their souls and do what is right, not what they believe they need to do in order to be re-elected.  Although same-sex marriage has been legal for several years, recent decisions by the Supreme Court have put its future in limbo.  We need those brave voices to speak up to offer and pass legislation that will codify same-sex marriage for years to come and improve the lives of future generations.  Kudos for a thoughtful, powerful, and well-written story.  

Edited by Bill W
  • Love 1
Link to comment

hands down my favorite POV as a reader of short stories is second person so I'm delighted to find this story for that reason alone. And then you really pulled no punches on showing how a lifetime of cowardice (encouraged, of course, by societal prejudice) has destroyed the senator even though he's outwardly successful. It's touching that in his final moments he uses his position of power for good, although tragic for him and everyone else that he didn't do so sooner. Still, as they say, better late than never. And that politician language is spot on. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..