Jump to content
    Cailen
  • Author
  • 4,444 Words
  • 3,094 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

The Elven Chronicles of Draco Malfoy - 4. Chapter 4: Prelude to War

Draco awoke to a soft rapping sound on the door as a servant cam inside to wake him up.

“Good morning Lord Draco, Sandy has come to make sure you have awakened for your day in the city,” the elf girl bowed low to the ground.

“Thanks,” Draco replied.

“Lord Draco… there are also these clothes that I have brought with a note from your mother.”

“Thank you Sandy, leave it on the table for me,” Draco asked as he got up and stretched try to shake the awful dream he was having.

Draco was back in Hogwarts he was laying on the bathroom floor after Harry had cast ‘septumsampra’ on him. It was the haunted look behind those emerald eyes, something about that look, pity and anger and something else…

Draco stretched and walked over to his table and picked up the note which was elegantly written and read.

Dearest Draco, My tailors were most accommodating when I asked for this outfit in my style. It will give you protection as well as a disguise. In the fabric are woven spells to keep you safe, I won’t say which ones but hopefully you will never have to find out.

These are artisan clothes meaning that you are someone’s apprentice; we have concocted a cover story that you are Mr. Wood’s new apprentice. He has agreed to cover for you and you can learn about the town as you are doing “errands” for him.

I hope that this all works for your taste and remember that although you might not feel the same way, I have always loved you my child.”

Your mother Lena

Draco then opened the package to reveal a handsome blue shirt with golden leaf edging and elaborate and ornate buttons. The trousers were sort of dark khaki brown but had the same leaf work and the ensemble had a new pair of shoes and a matching blue vest. Draco put his wand in his vest and then remembered to put on his signet. He tied his now very long blond hair in the back of his head with a simple blue ribbon and fixed the collar of his shirt. Draco looked himself over in the mirror and had to say, that even as an elf he was still very attractive.

Draco was a little startled as he merely opened his door before he nearly ran into Orion and Twfen

“Where’s Solstice?” Draco asked.

“He’ll be meeting us in town, we’re taking a mirror to the dungeons and then we’re taking a secret passage to the stable and taking out a few of the horses and then we can ride into town.” Twfen said

“That seems rather complicated,” Draco said.

“You were the one who wanted a disguise,” Orion quipped.

OoOoO
With the horses ready Orion, Twfen and Draco set off into town, allowing Draco his first glances of his new elven world. Adendele castle is almost totally self-sufficient and even the training grounds are held inside it. As he exited the castle he really got a sense of just how big it was. They passed under a few turrets and finally Draco got his view. Adendele castle was on top of a hillside and the city worked its way down the hill and was completely surrounded by walls and towers like the castle included the town. The castle rose up into the sky and that’s when Draco noticed something.

“What in Merlin’s name is that?” Draco said pointing into the sky

“You mean the Adendele tree?” Twfen asked

Through the center of the castle rose a Tree of epic size. It towered above the castle and covered most of the city in shade it was bigger than anything Draco had ever seen and it was beautiful. The castle almost seemed to be a part of it as different towers were built around it. The tree in some places was actually going through the castle.

“The Sanctuary is located in the top of the tree.” Orion said

“It’s huge.”

“It gives all of this world life… if anything were to happen to it, this world would surely perish.” Twfen said

“It’s beautiful.”

“Frankly it’s an eye sore, but the magical power behind it is undeniable,” Orion said.

They rode down the hillside into the town, many elves were coming and going in-between shops and many children were playing on the roadside. Few people noticed him as he traveled down the roads towards the center of town.

The center of Adendele Castle Town has a massive fountain that is the source of most of the people’s drinking water as it is the freshest and comes from the Adendele Tree itself. It is also the place of the town’s biggest market and also has the best views of the tree.

They arrived in the center of town and left their horses tied to a post outside a store and walked around the fountain meeting people

Draco sat at the fountain’s edge and looked into the water, Orion and Twfen sat a good distance away but kept a good eye on him.

“Good Morning” a voice suddenly spoke in his ear and he turned to look a very handsome blue eyed elf in the face. The elf was dressed causally but his clothes were way too tight, it left nothing to the imagination, something Draco sadly felt he would never get over.

“Good morning,” he simply replied.

“What brings you to the fountain today? I haven’t seen you around before.”

“I’m from Skysoar I begin my apprenticeship today” Draco said

“Who are you studying under?”

“Master Wood”

“The artist?”

“Yes, he said he was going to meet me here, but he is late and I do not know where he lives.”

“You’re apprenticing under Master Wood, the greatest artist in all of Adendele?” the elf asked amazed

“Yes” Draco’s face becoming a little hot.

“I can’t believe it; he hasn’t taken an apprentice in years.” The elf said

“Well” Draco said “I guess I should be going…” he stood “see you around…”

“Oh ok then” the elf said

Draco had barely taken two steps when he sensed someone behind him and in the blink of an eye he realized someone had their hand in his pocket. He didn’t feel it but his Hal-Erwnex senses made him reflex and within a second he had turned around managed to brandish his wand and had it to the throat of the elf that was talking to him.

The elf darted away

Time instantly began to slow again as Draco got this hazy feeling in the front of his mind like he was dreaming. He saw himself reach forward and grab the hand of the elf.

“THEIF!” Draco yelled at the elf, as he grabbed him with his other hand to keep him from running. But the elf bolted out of his grasp but had only made it a few feet when Draco yelled

“Pretrificus Totalus” Draco barely had to mutter

Draco watched in fascination as he watched the spell slowly emit from his wand and travel slowly through the air. He walked in front of it, and then walked beside it as it slowly struck the elf in the back and then time resumed normally.

Almost a hundred elves watched as the fleeing elf suddenly froze upright and fell stiff as a board right onto his face. A few elves clapped and many others just stared in shock, they had never really been exposed to wizarding magic before. A few guards including Orion and Twfen rushed over and they turned the elf over onto his face and emptied his pockets to reveal many stolen items.

“Who are you?” one of the guards asked Draco

“My name is James Thorn” Draco lied quickly “I’ve come from Skysoar only this morning to begin my apprenticeship and while I was waiting for my master, this thief tried to rob me.”

“How did you stop him?”

“Thankfully I have some skill in magic and was able to stop him.”

“Is your master, a master in the mage arts?”

“No, I’m his master,” a voice spoke up.

There was some murmuring as the crowd parted to let Mr. Wood get to Draco.

“Oh… of course master wood, we’ll leave you to it then,” one of the guards said and took the other guards left back through the people who then began to disperse.

“I’m so sorry Jimmy, I tried to get here sooner, but I completely lost track of time.” Mr. Wood addressed Draco

“That’s ok.”

“Um Mr. Thorn” Orion said “could you please release the prisoner of the spell you have used?”

“Certainly,” Draco just waved his hand and the elf unfroze.

“Marvelous, now come Jimmy you have a lot of work ahead of you.” Mr. Wood said.

“I’ll take this man up to the castle,” Orion offered the guard.

The crowd finally totally dissipated since the show was over and went back to whatever it was they were doing. Mr. Wood led Draco down a deserted alley and then were followed by Twfen, Orion and the prisoner

“Good work Draco,” the prisoner said.

“Who are you?” Draco said surprised

“The elf shook his head around, as he did so it was as if his skin became unglued and it started to change.

“Solstice?”

“Very good work,” Solstice said.

Twfen supplied Solstice with his normal black robe and Solstice put it on happily.

“If you can catch me, we have nothing to worry about with you.” Solstice stepped back into the shadow of a building and then Draco realized he was gone.”

“How did he do that?”

“He has full elven and wizarding powers like you, in time; you will be able to do that too. He no longer needs a wand.” Twfen supplied

“Amazing” Mr. Wood said

“Well Draco” Orion said “it’s time for me to explain... Lord Zasuan asked us to test you to see if you could do alright on your own, he felt that you should be able to be independent in the city. He asked us to test you… you’ve passed! Here’s a money pouch with some money so you can buy a few things for yourself, if you need more just ask one of us. Here is a dagger and your horse is where you parked it, have fun.”

Orion and Twfen started walking away

“One last thing,” Orion said “this is the Phoenix Pendant.” he gave a beautiful gold necklace to Draco

“Wear it and it will allow you entrance to the castle.”

Draco hastened to put it on and watched as his guard walked off into the distance

“ahh, leaving people in a deserted alley with no real idea of where they are, that’s the elven way,” Mr. Wood said sarcastically “come with me, I have something to show you, and go grab that horse of yours.”

OoOoO
“Juliet, Sarah, Oliver come down here there is someone I want you to meet.” Mr. Wood shouted as he entered his modest home located on a fairly busy shopping street. The sign in front said in fine script “Woods Fine Art.”

A woman a young man and small girl came down the stairs Draco noticed immediately

“They’re all human.”

“Quiet you,” he directed at Draco then “Juliet, Sarah, Oliver I get to have the distinct honor of introducing you to my guest here.”

“Who is he daddy?” the little girl asked

“This man is Lord Draco, son of Lord Zasuan Phoenix ruler of all of Adendele.”

The girls curtsied and Oliver bowed respectfully.

“Nice to meet you, I’m sorry Mr. Wood but I am just surprised that your family is all human.”

“Child, elves are born looking human and take elvish form at their majority, and most can transform back to their human forms but it takes a great deal of effort.”

“Is that common, a human and elf bond?

“No… but seeing how my mate was human that is how it shall be.

“I don’t understand?”

“No, but you must understand Elves mate by soul mate, we are destined to love only love one other person our whole lives. I went to the wizarding world and met Juliet and I knew the second I saw her she was my mate, months later we married and now they live here with me.

“What happens if one of you is hurt?”

“Our bonding has given Juliet the power of immortality but it sadly if something happens to me we both die.”

“What do you children do for school; do the elven kids pick on them, I am guessing at you are a wizard?” Draco asked Juliet who nodded.

“Oliver went to Hogwarts and Graduated and little Sarah will be starting in a month. The elven children are raised knowing about the soul mate and bonding, they have had minimal problems.”

At the mention of Hogwarts Draco them bothered to look at the man in front of him and realized it was Oliver Wood the old captain for the Gryffindor team.

“I thought the gates were sealed, how did Oliver attend Hogwarts?” Draco asked

“I made a special deal with Albus Dumbledore and Lord Zasuan, Dumbledore activates a port key every semester allowing Oliver to return.”

“I think you might have a problem.” Draco said gravely “Professor Serverus Snape murdered Albus Dumbledore for Lord Voldemort at the end of last semester.”

“That’s not possible,” Oliver said his face blanched.

“Oliver Wood, the captain of the Gryffindor Team?”

Oliver stared at Draco

“I can only assume you know about how I was kidnapped, but what you don’t know was that until a few days ago I thought I was Draco Malfoy.”

“Malfoy…” Oliver whispered… “There is no way… you were an evil little shit.”

“No more, I defied the dark lord and was tortured nearly into insanity over the summer… when Orion rescued me.”

The wood family went deathly silent.

“I don’t even know if Hogwarts is re-opening… an envoy must be sent to determine the state of things over there.” Draco said

“We must do something,” Oliver said.

“My father is dead set against joining this war, but if Voldemort comes here… and I have no doubt he will… we will be biding our time until his arrival.” Draco said

“So Draco,” Oliver asked “why are you here?”

“I meant in our modest little home,” he corrected.

“Well I didn’t want the attention, it took me a while to conclude that this was real and that I wasn’t dreaming, I have been handed everything I could have ever wanted, but after everything I went through, I realized the attention I so craved was from feeling unloved, and I don’t feel that anymore… not now… I just want the people here to like me.” Draco said “so I decided that if I went incognito, I could learn…”

“I never thought I would have heard that from you Draco,” Oliver said “but it is a very wise thought, you surprised me.”

“Thanks,” Draco said offering a smile which swelled his heart when he saw it was returned.

“Well Draco I am sure you have a few more stops today yes?”

“Yeah,” Draco said.

“Well take this then, this is the finished copy of your family portrait, I had Oliver shrink it. I am sure you can fix it on your return?” Mr. Wood said

“Yes sir.”

“This is a present to you, but you might want to give it to your mother… you can shrink it yourself” he handed Draco I portrait of himself wearing his blue apprentice outfit. It was elegant.

“Thank you sir.”

“You are most welcome your highness, feel free to come by anytime.”

“I will remember your offer; I will ask my father about sending an envoy to Hogwarts to see if we can get any answer at all.”

“Thank you Lord Draco” Oliver bowed respectfully as he walked out the door.

Draco only made it a few stores down when he came towards a nice little shop that was selling what seemed to be ice cream. He couldn’t resist and bought himself a small bowl as he then ate contently as he watched the north city gate in the distance. A wagon was coming in and the massive doors opened to allow it entrance.

“HALT” a guard said to an approaching Wagon

The large wagon slowed at it approached the guard. Two elves were driving

“Names and cargo,” the guard asked.

“We are Barrow and Mellow from the Northern City of Slythersend bringing ore.”

“Very well enter” the guard said as he motioned for the gate to open

The Wagon moved forward until it was under the gate when it suddenly parked and six dark elves and ten men in black robes and masks jumped out.

“AVADA KEDRAVA!” one of the men in black screamed his wand brandishing a green light knocking the guard dead.

Draco instantly ducked for cover

Soon green lights were bursting everywhere, Screams and terror soon followed

“CLEAR THE WAGON,” one of the Dark elves called… the attackers ran for cover and suddenly.

BOOM

An explosion rocked the north city wall collapsing it to the ground and shattering every single window nearby. Debris flew by Draco’s head, and the warm blast of hot air passed over his head.

Instantly alarms rang and hundreds of soldiers marched to the scene all the dark elves had vanished but the men in black remained killing off elves and finally casting a Spell into the sky

“MORSMORDE!”

Draco turned white as a ghost as the dark lord’s mark flew into the air.

Draco turned and saw that the explosion had hit Mr. Wood’s shop and the death eaters were slowly making their way towards his street. What few guards were there could do nothing against the death eaters.

“Stupefy,” Draco yelled knocking out a death eater, his heart was racing. Suddenly a death eater grabbed him in the back, without even using his wand a green blast shot from his hands sending the death eater flying into a wall.

Draco ran towards Wood’s shop and gasped as he saw that it was almost destroyed by the blast. Without a second thought he burst open the door.

Every bit of glass in the house had shattered and Draco felt something inside him rumble in anger. The explosion had been close enough that the nearby bookcase had fallen over and there seemed to be cracks in the wall. Mr. Wood lay on the floor bleeding. Juliet was next to him knocked out by flying debris.

“MR. Wood!” Draco exclaimed rushing to his side, he was bleeding freely from his chest. Thinking fast Draco found a rag and tied it tightly around his midriff and ran upstairs

“Sarah!” Draco called “Oliver!” Draco found Oliver in the bathroom knocked out and some possible broken ribs. He conjured a stretcher and floated him down the hall

“SARAH!” Draco screamed louder, he ran into her room and looked around. The place took the brunt of the hit. Everything was destroyed and half the outer wall was missing. He ran in and opened the closet.

Relief

“What are you doing in there, c’mon we need to get out, and this place is coming down. Grabbing her under the arm and Oliver in tow he ran down the stairs and out the front door, on the street there was pandemonium. He set Oliver down and rushed back in for Mr. Wood and Juliet.

He managed to get out of the house before the second story collapsed onto the first then the roof fell in. double checking to make sure they would be ok he ran for the source of the blast. It was coming from down the street; smoke was rising into the air.

Draco left the woods to head back down the street when a guard stopped him

“Stand back Apprentice we are under attack,” he said.

“I am Lord Draco Phoenix,” Draco said revealing the pendant then unbuttoning his shirt to reveal is signet plate.

The guard could not help but look surprised before nodding.

They had barely run down the street before a man dressed all in black jumped out in front of them holding a wand and yelling.

“CRUCIO!” Draco pushed the guard out of the way the curse suddenly seemed to stop in front of him, when he realized time had slowed again. He stepped to the side and yelled.

“Bombarda!” a light shot out of his wand, lighting up the surprised look on the Death Eater’s face just before blasting the street and the Death Eater to pieces.

“STAY DOWN,” Draco called to the guard.

Draco stood and another wizard came at him.

“Looks like this elfy welfy wants to play,” a female voice mocked.

“You can’t beat me,” Draco said to her.

“I will enjoy cutting you open,” she said just before shouting “STEUPFY!”

Draco cast a shield and sent his own stunner catching her off guard and knocking her out. He ran ahead and snapped her wand and put her in a body bind before running ahead.

Three more Death Eaters were ahead talking to one another, but one of them noticed Draco approaching.

When they noticed him two of them ran back for the wall and this one remained to take care of Draco.

“Well well, seem like this one has some fight in him, the others were like killing cattle, no wonder the Dark Lord didn’t worry about you.”

“Well I got a surprise for Voldemort, and you too Avery.”

“How do you know who I am?”

“I’ll give you three guesses… but you’ll only ever need one.” Draco mocked

“Draco…” Lucius whispered.

Suddenly a knife went whizzing by Draco’s head and struck Lucius in the throat, he tried to remove it but he was dead before he hit the ground. Draco spun around to find himself eye to eye with Orion who scooped Draco into his arms. Draco embraced the man and cried on his shoulder. His emotional state shot from dealing with the death eaters again so soon after his torment.

OoOoO
Orion brought Draco to the infirmary inside the castle, he was placed in a private room but after he was healed he became restless.

“Can I go in and see them?” Draco asked on of the doctors in the hospital

“Yes but only for a short while, the other survivors are in there, many of their families were not so lucky, the king has been locked in his study since the incident, he refuses to come out, these people need hope, please try to give them some.” The doctor said

“I will.”

Draco opened the doors and was shocked to see nearly one hundred elves all on stretchers in a gigantic room with healers running frantically in-between them. Draco was wearing his apprentice robes still, but his royal signet plate and necklace were worn openly, and he wore a gold band through his hair. He walked down the ward only a short distance before he found Mr. Wood and family. Mr. Wood was lying on a stretcher but sitting up and attempting to read a piece of parchment, but Oliver was laying flat on his back with his mother and little sister huddling over him.

“Mr. Wood”

Mr. Wood didn’t even look up

“Mr. Wood?” Draco asked again

“Berry” Mr. Wood replied

“Berry?”

“The name is Berry; you don’t call me Mr. Wood anymore.”

“Oh… um…”

“You saved my whole family. Not just me or my children, you saved all of us from the attack, we are indebted to you.” Berry said

“I’ve only been here a short time, but I have come to think of you as a friend.” Draco said “Friends help each other”

“You’re one of the bravest elves I know” Berry said

“Thank you” Draco turned his attention to Oliver “what’s wrong with him?”

Oliver was taking painful breaths and his eyes were teary and he looked sweaty and tired.

“They can’t mend his bones, they stopped the bleeding but they can’t fix the broken ribs. They will have to heal naturally.”

“Bullocks,” Draco said striding two steps over to Oliver tearing off the blanket covering him and very gently put both of his palms on his side. Instantly a white light erupted around his palms illumining most of the Ward. Healers flocked to see the prince and what the light was. As soon as it had started it was over. Draco stepped back and watched at Oliver sat up gingerly and rubbed his ribs.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome” Draco said trying to avoid the adoration in Oliver’s eyes

“My Lord?” one of the healers addressed Draco

“Yes?” Draco turned to address them

“I don’t know what you did, but there are many elves that need help that we just cannot provide, would you mind assisting?”

“Not at all, lead the way” Draco gave the Woods one last glance before darting down the length of the ward to help the next patient.

And so it went, patient after patient being treated by Draco, for hours he toiled helping his people in desperation

“Breath… for Merlin’s sake Breath!”

Draco had a small girl in his arms, she had stopped breathing and Draco had rushed to her side despite the hysterics from her parents. Checking her airway he discovered it was blocked. He banished the block from her airway but she still wasn’t breathing. He grabbed her nose and chin and began C.P.R.

For five minutes he fought and finally just as he was beginning to lose hope. The girl gave a cough and a sputter and opened her eyes.

“Are you an angel?” she asked in a tired small voice

“No, but you are… rest.” Draco said to the girl giving her

“Draco?” a voice said to him

“Mother?” Draco spun around to see his mother

“Mr. Wood told me you were here, you need to get some rest” Talenna said

“I can’t there are so many more. I’ve got to help them”

Draco’s once beautiful apprentice robes were now covered in blood. His hair was tangled and there were dark patches under his eyes. He had drained himself physically and magically, he was barely standing up straight.

“Honey, you need to rest.”

“Just one… just one more…” Draco said trying to get back to work but his legs would no longer carry him and he collapsed to the floor.

“DRACO!” Talenna screamed and rushed to his side

“I’m fine… help them… not me… help them…” were the last words out of his mouth before darkness overtook him.

© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; cailenauthor 2011
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Right about Draco is prolly thinking it sucks to be right and his father is kicking himself that he was wrong. Wonder what the king is going to do now?

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Draco is so amazing as an elf.  I'm glad Lord Malfoy got his just end.  I wonder if the witch Draco defeated and left bound up is Bellatrix.  I was surprised that Draco has yet another interesting power, healing.  Oliver Wood looking adoringly at Draco?  That could be a very interest relationship to explore.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..