Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Rides - 18. Random Memories

p align="center">Prompt 410

Word List
bunny - green grass - tulips - grandmother - box of chocolates

My name’s Ken. As I get closer to my fiftieth birthday, my memory has started to play tricks with me. Ask me what I had for lunch yesterday; go ahead ask. I won’t be able to answer you, I can’t recall. But sometimes, random memories of events long ago, are crystal clear in my mind.

It, must have been 1970, I was twelve, my brother was nine, and we finally had pets. I’m not really clear on how it happened, how the two of them came to live with us, but my brother and I were ecstatic. They weren’t the puppies we’d been asking for, but at least they were fluffy, and we could chase them around the patio.

My mother had been raised with an unhealthy dread of dogs, and we’d never been allowed to have one. To be honest, she’d stupidly instilled some of her fear in us, and for a long time, we never felt the need to have one. Why is it parents so often regurgitate what they learned as children without question? Even back then though, the two of us were somewhat rebellious, influenced by our interactions with our friends, and their pooches, we overcame our reservations. We started to pester our parents, we wanted them to get us a pup.

We did have an aquarium, it had mollified us for a little while, but we soon tired of it. I mean, how exiting is it to watch a few goldfish swim back and forth in a twenty gallon glass box? The zebra fish were a bit more exciting, especially when one of them started growing a bulge. We expected to see babies, but didn’t know how to protect the eggs. Eventually we figured out what to do, and ended up with a bunch of little larvae. Ho hum…

I remember leaving the table, hungry, unable to eat the stew mother served for dinner. At first, I thought it was chicken. It tasted different, so I asked. There was no real answer, but somehow I figured it out. I couldn’t eat another bite. I realized then, my pet bunny hadn’t really run away.

Three years later the family had moved to a new town and I was about to start tenth grade in a new school. All the new people around me were somewhat overwhelming. For the first time in my educational life, I was surrounded by blacks, Jews, Asians, girls―can you say culture shock? I’d spent the past few years at an all-boys, all-white, private school, run by an order of Catholic brothers. Each class year at the new place had more students that all twelve grades combined at the old one.

Classes ran from nine in the morning until four in the afternoon, there were split schedules because of the overcrowding. My second period was Algebra, and the teacher was a nice young woman, a recent graduate from one of the state’s universities. It was her first teaching job. By the end of the week I was thinking she should go back for a couple more years of education herself; I’d ended up explaining things to her a couple of times already.

My last period was Physical Education, the instructor also happened to be my guidance counselor, and the coach of the football team. I’d be walking home after that class, so I shove my jeans, my briefs and my shirt into my rucksack, before putting on a jockstrap, shorts, and a white t-shirt. Coach wanted us outside, on the field, ready to do a little running as soon as he came to join us.

It was a beautiful day, deep blue skies with a few wispy clouds, warm sunshine, and bright, green grass underfoot. But what was that strange smell, something new, something sweet, and spicy at the same time. I looked around, and on the edge of the field saw two big black guys sharing a cigarette. They noticed me looking, they both smiled, one of them held out the cigarette to me and asked if I smoked grass. Considering my background I was a bit intimidated, but after those two boys got me high, they ended up being my first two friends in the school.

Another three years had gone by and I was in college. I was far from home, no longer a big man on campus. The high school class president was now just another freshman, nobody special. There were plenty of other class presidents, outstanding athletes and honor roll students. I was back at a private institution, run by a religious order, with mostly white kids again. Lots of old money and famous names around the halls: Fisher from Michigan, Cabot Lodge from Massachusetts, Reagan from California. One of the coolest guys in my dorm was named Terran; his dad was a famous science fiction author whose books I’d read, hence the name. Can you say culture shock all over again?

It was a rough winter, that year. More snow fell in January than in the entire previous winter. I’d brought my car to school after Christmas break; it ended up buried in the white fluffy stuff for a couple of weeks. The snow soon turned to ice, and wasn’t quite so fluffy for very long. I spent too much time sitting and eating, too fucking cold outside to do much. All the eating of good, ole, meal plan cafeteria food, chockfull of carbohydrates, brought me face to face with the freshman fifteen, twice over.

By the time my nineteenth birthday rolled around, spring had sprung, the snow had melted and tulips were in bloom all over campus. I was a fat pig by then. A buddy and I took our girlfriends out for the day, rented paddle boats, and bought a kite. I was embarrassed to wear shorts and a tank top in public, swore I’d get back in shape over the summer. Strict diet, lots of exercise, and thoughts of getting laid in the fall, did the trick.

My grandmother, my mother’s mother, lived with us most of my childhood. I called her Yeya, when I first started to speak, the name stuck and my siblings followed suit. She was caring, funny and scared of her own shadow. Frogs petrified her, so my brothers and I would bring one home whenever we could, delighting in the resulting screams. She’d take her false teeth out, and make faces which had us laughing like little hyenas. Whenever there was a party, she’d be the first one shaking her butt to the beat of the music, outrageously flirting which whatever man she’d decided to drag out on the dance floor.

I moved out from my parents’ house, after I graduated from college. Grandma did the same a few years later. As her mind weakened, she spent time at an activity center for the elderly, then at daycare, in a facility for those with senility. Eventually, her Alzheimer’s disease made it difficult to care for her, she went to live in a nursing home. I went to see her once in a while, not often enough, I now realize. It was hard to see the woman with the saucy tongue, barely able to talk.

One day mom called, grandma was in the hospital. Could I spend a little time with her? Mom needed to take care of some things and didn’t want the old lady alone. I was happy to help, grabbed whatever book I was immersed in at the time and headed to the clinic. I planned on reading to the old lady, even if she couldn’t comprehend what I was saying, maybe the sound of my voice would be comforting.

I had no idea Yeya had stopped eating, or that mom had made a decision, she’d regret for the rest of her life. Most of us know it as "tube feeding." Doctors call it percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG). It’s force feeding. It’s done without the patient’s consent, extends their life when they’re probably ready to die. I saw my grandmother again one more time. I couldn’t bring myself to visit afterwards. That wasn’t the lady who helped raise me in that bed. It was some sort of animal, curled up in a fetal position, with a tube keeping her alive. I knew I wasn’t strong enough to go back, so I wiped the tears, and said goodbye

In the movie Forrest Gump, the lead character―played by Tom Hanks―uttered a phrase which became part of American culture―"Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Memories are just a mental rerun of life.

span style="font-family:Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;">Mostly it's my imagination run amok, but there's a kernel of truth in each section.
© Copyright 2015 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Once again you provide us with something completely different to what we have seen in the other prompts. Well done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/22/2015 12:10 AM, Bucket1 said:
Once again you provide us with something completely different to what we have seen in the other prompts. Well done.
Thanks Buck!

 

I may have to start repeating myself sooner or later! This one was tough to format.

 

The images that popped into my head when, I read each of the words were, so damn disparate, I had no idea how to tie them together at first. The fact it went through half a dozen titles, before the final one came about, should give you an idea of what went on!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

While I enjoyed reading the entire story and can relate to the theory of random thoughts what struck a chord with me is the line ' That wasn’t the lady who helped raise me in that bed.'
It brought back a very vivid memory from when I was 16. My grandma was in hospital after having a stroke. After suffering a series of strokes she passed away 2 years later never having left the hospital. I have a clear recollection of thinking that I was not seeing my grandmother lying there as I had only ever known the lady who was a doer and would take the time and effort to do things like making a huge pot of homemade perogies because she knew how much her grandkids liked them.
As I sit here, responding to the prompt I'm experiencing my own random thoughts about the good times with my grandma, so thanks for triggering my journey down memory lane.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/04/2015 05:01 AM, Reader1810 said:

While I enjoyed reading the entire story and can relate to the theory of random thoughts what struck a chord with me is the line ' That wasn’t the lady who helped raise me in that bed.'

It brought back a very vivid memory from when I was 16. My grandma was in hospital after having a stroke. After suffering a series of strokes she passed away 2 years later never having left the hospital. I have a clear recollection of thinking that I was not seeing my grandmother lying there as I had only ever known the lady who was a doer and would take the time and effort to do things like making a huge pot of homemade perogies because she knew how much her grandkids liked them.

As I sit here, responding to the prompt I'm experiencing my own random thoughts about the good times with my grandma, so thanks for triggering my journey down memory lane.

I have a friend who's currently living through a similar experience with his grandmother. I advised him to do exactly what you did, focus on the good memories.

 

Thank you for the kind comments. I'm glad I was able to stir up some good thoughts.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..