Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Rides - 21. Master Golfer

p style="text-align:center;">Prompt 419
List of Words
a plastic bag - a small child - a hamburger - an orange - a green jacket

I’m a Sun Devil. For those of you who are not sports fan, the Sun Devils are the athletic teams who represent Arizona State University. But I’m not just a jock who decided to go to school in Tempe, adopting the team moniker when I began playing there. I left the hospital in my mother’s arms, wrapped in a maroon and gold baby blanket, the day after I was born. You could say ASU is at the core of my being.

My name’s Rogan Keaton. I’m a senior at ASU, a marketing major, and a member of the golf team. Mom died in a car accident when I was two, dad and I have been alone for the past twenty years―he never remarried. Actually, dad rarely dated at all, his best friend was a constant companion though. The two of them would include me in their weekend outings from the age I can remember. Both of them are professors at the University, I practically grew up on campus, their long summer vacations we spent traveling together.

Maybe saying I grew up on the school’s Kirsten Golf Course would be more accurate. Avid golfers both of them, I was riding in their cart as soon as I was able to sit up. When I began walking, I’d roam around the links, with a small plastic bag in my hands, looking for lost balls. I watched them play, learned about which club to use for different shots, and eventually served as their caddy.

Dad loves to tell the story of me wearing diapers, dragging an old nine iron behind me, while running around our back yard. He claims I showed great joy in chasing a little white ball around, screaming I was going to be a goffer. Ha! A goffer I became sure enough. Putting came first, then I learned how to ride a bicycle, and throw a football. I was too young to work, but the course pro would have me go for this or go for that, all the time. I think I became his pet project when he started giving me pointers and then lessons, without charging dad a cent. I always carried my plastic bag, just in case I came across any stray balls.

All that time on the green paid off. My overall game was pretty darn good; my putting was out of this world. If I showed up at the course, and the putting green was busy, men and women would step aside to watch me practice. I’d pull out my plastic bag, drop a couple of balls, and putt away. At some point, people started asking for advice, which I happily provided. Dad didn’t have to worry much about me, if I wasn’t next to him, I could be found at the golf course.

At ten, golfers around Phoenix knew my name. I was playing with, and beating, almost every adult who stepped onto Kirsten. Someone mentioned me to a reporter, and the local newspaper ran a blurb about me in their sports section. At eleven, SI Kids interviewed me and ran three pages about my game. You know how much those magazines love to write about the next prodigy. Being raised by a single parent gave them a nice human interest angle. At twelve I competed in my first U.S. Junior Amateur Championship, and was on the cover. At thirteen I won it, and now it was Sports Illustrated itself writing about the youngest winner ever of the tournament.

At fourteen, the all mighty dollar came calling. Nike, adidas, Reebok, Under Armour, and a few other wanted to sign me up as one of the athletes in their stable. It meant money up the wazoo. Golf was still thought of as a sport for rich, white guys; the chance to have a teen endorse their product, was seen as heaven sent. I could bring a whole new generation into the game. A generation paying good money to dress like me, buy the same clubs I carried around, and use my balls. Dad could quit working, we would be able to afford newer and better, anything and everything. The old man said thanks, but no, thanks. Family and friends thought he’d lost his mind. How could he turn away the goose?

He explained it to me during lunch at our favorite burger joint ,while sipping a Sunkist. He told me playing golf would be a great way to make a living, but it could abruptly end any day. It could be in my fifties, or it could just as easily be in my twenties; I needed a fallback position just in case. He recounted conversations with my mom about attending my college graduation. About how much it would have meant to her, for me to have that diploma. He offered me a deal.

He promised his complete support, if I’d remain an amateur until I graduated from ASU―there was never a question as to what college I’d attend. I’d play for my high school team, and then for the university, which meant maintaining a good grade point average. Even though most of the time golf is an individual sport, being part of a team would bring me benefits and pleasures I couldn’t even begin to imagine. I accepted, we shook hands on the deal, and we both kept our end of the bargain. Smart fucker my dad; he got me to study using my love of golf as an incentive.

High School was when I hit my biggest growth spurt. Taller and stronger, my tee shots became gargantuan. I had my first eagle, my first hole-in-one, and my first piece of ass. The first two landed me on the front page of the Arizona Republic’s sports section; the third one got me grounded for a month. I’ve never been able to lie to my father, if he asked, I told. I hadn’t used the condoms he’d bought me―my bad.

That wasn’t the last time I dipped the wick, girls seemed to like my looks. I was taller than average, didn’t have a ripped body, but I was still a star athlete. My smile was captivating, imperfect teeth and all, while my scruffy face showed I was all man. When hair started to sprout on my chest, shirts with buttons left undone, became de rigueur. So fucking sue me, I’m vain.

Jocks didn’t know how to deal with me. I was one of them, yet I wasn’t. Golf wasn’t a real sport, but hell, I was so good even they had to pay attention. Not only was I not ripped, I was somewhat soft around the middle. I heard the word cuddly used now and then. It was widely known the females considered me to be smoking, so the men had to make room for me in the BMOC club. Two or three very macho, testosterone laden ones, even propositioned me. High school was a blast.

Scholarship athletes at any major university, are mostly considered demigods by students, faculty and administrators. There are plenty of rules in place, by the NCAA and the individual schools, to regulate the process; to try and balance out academics versus athletics. But some of the best football and baseball players, could barely spell the university’s name when they were accepted, and were not much better upon graduation. Those are the two big sports, the only ones which really matter to Board of Trustees. The ones which make alumni open up their pockets, and fill the institution’s coffers.

Golf? What’s that? It’s not even considered a sport by many. Even in southern schools, where year-round play is possible, golf is almost an afterthought. At Arizona State University, the same held true until the beginning of my sophomore year. That August I won my first U.S. Amateur Championship. Golf started to creep into campus conversations, girls were ready to lose their panties whenever I looked their way, and guys hung around me as if I was their best friend. They were probably just waiting in the wings for any females I discarded.

A year later, after my second win, golf was being openly discussed by everyone on campus. The camera crews which followed me around for a while, attended most of the matches I played in, and interviewed some of my fellow students, may have had something to do with it.

By my senior year, people knew of my lucky plastic bag, in which I carried my balls. The silly jokes about my little idiosyncrasy, were repeated ad infinitum in the locker room, and during late night bull sessions in the dorms. According to Dad, they were part of the repertoire of many, in the cocktail party circuit. Pops also claimed to be bruised from all the congratulatory back slaps he received. He was proud of me. I heard about his bragging from his best friend and other faculty members.

I tied Tiger by winning the Championship three times in a row. Each of those years I received an automatic invitation to play in the Masters. I made the cut my first two years, but faltered near the end. The reality of where I was, what I was doing, and who I was doing it with, ruined my concentration. Each time I left Augusta disappointed, while dad appeared overjoyed with my play. We stuck around the southeast, went to play different courses in Florida, each time ending up at one, where clothing was absent. Playing golf nekkid, somehow improved my spirits. By the time we were back in Arizona, I was ready to start banging away again, trying to get better.

But this was my year, even the azaleas seemed to say so. Coming from the Desert Southwest, the profusion of blooms, was at first a shock. Not anymore, this was my year, the tournament’s signature flowers were my silent cheering crowd. The bright pink blooms I’ve come to love kept me smiling for seventy-two holes. I’d be graduating in a few weeks, joining the pro tour afterwards, and I planned on making a splash in the pool of players. Woods and Spieth were both younger than I was when they won, but I was cool with that. I’d get my own record soon enough. Just wait until a few years from now, after I’ve won six more, and surpass Nicklaus.

But all of it is secondary to the here and now. I was smiling for the cameras, hugging my proud father, with a plastic bag still in my pocket. What began when I was a small child, then planned out over a hamburger and an orange soda, had brought me to Augusta. Today, I earned the right to wear a green jacket.

© Copyright 2015 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I liked the values instilled by the father concerning the sponsorship contract Rogan was offered. Something similar happened in my family when I was much younger and only understood part of the reason the offer was declined.

Reading your story made me see how much Rogan's dad is a loving and caring a parent child because he put this child's needs before his own. Any financial benefit the dad may have gotten from the deal wasn't as important as important as his son's happiness and wellbeing be it in the present or in the future.

Nicely done.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 05/24/2015 01:55 AM, Reader1810 said:
I liked the values instilled by the father concerning the sponsorship contract Rogan was offered. Something similar happened in my family when I was much younger and only understood part of the reason the offer was declined.

Reading your story made me see how much Rogan's dad is a loving and caring a parent child because he put this child's needs before his own. Any financial benefit the dad may have gotten from the deal wasn't as important as important as his son's happiness and wellbeing be it in the present or in the future.

Nicely done.

Thank you!

 

It all started with the green jacket! LOL Seriously, I saw the prompt and when I read those two words I thought of the Masters. I knew I had to write about someone winning the tournament.

 

I play games with myself when replying to prompts this time I wanted the last words to be green jacket and I decided I'd use them in the last section, in the same order they were provided.

 

I try very hard to make the story fit around the prompt, not the other way around. Once I had the basic idea it was a matter of working the other words into a story and each one carved its space in my mind.

 

Not all teens are anguished souls with uncaring parents. I wanted a young man who'd grown within a supportive family unit and had turned out okay.

 

Thanks again, for the review and the praise.

 

Carlos

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

You need a green jacket yourself. That was a masterful use of prompts to weave a beautiful and meaningful story. So many parents would have gone for the money and it took an already well grounded boy to understand why that path wasn't taken. You gave us a nice glimpse into it all.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 05/24/2015 04:29 AM, drpaladin said:
You need a green jacket yourself. That was a masterful use of prompts to weave a beautiful and meaningful story. So many parents would have gone for the money and it took an already well grounded boy to understand why that path wasn't taken. You gave us a nice glimpse into it all.
Well, thank you! You and 1810 have both brought a little sunshine into a dreary day. (Figuratively speaking on both counts LOL)

 

Not every family is a dysfunctional mess, parents sometimes get it right. Being a popular jock, getting grounded for a month probably ensured the kid would never forget condoms again. I don't think dad wants to become a grandad just yet!

 

No screaming and no kicking, just firm and fair punishment. Of course, there had to be a good foundation laid out for that to happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nicely done! And admittedly, kept trying to figure out where you were going with the story line--all the way up to the end--and you told a fine tale all long. Not the typical storyline here...and you did well with it!
Good job!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 06/24/2015 01:09 AM, Robert Rex said:

Nicely done! And admittedly, kept trying to figure out where you were going with the story line--all the way up to the end--and you told a fine tale all long. Not the typical storyline here...and you did well with it!

Good job!

Like I told someone else, the green jacket made me think of Augusta so... I think I was also trying to comment on those parents who push their kids into a sport, or other activity, to compensate for something missing in their own lives.

 

Too many kids don't get to be kids anymore!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..