Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Prompt Rides - 24. First Monday

p align="center">Prompt 448

First Line
"What did he just say?"

“What did he just say?”

“He said you’re an idiot, and it’ll be a cold day in hell before you get into heaven.”

“God said I’m an idiot? But I’m a Supreme Court Justice.”

“Correction, Antonin, you were a Supreme Court Justice. You’re dead now. Remember?”

“Oh, yeah, right. But why doesn’t he speak English?”

“Because he doesn’t want to. He’s unhappy you wasted the intelligence he granted you at conception. He’s not willing to speak to you directly.”

“But we’ve spoken directly my entire life! I’ve prayed to him since I was a kid.”

“Bah! You really think anyone was listening to you? Praying is a waste of energy. You humans assume because you talk to yourselves, asking for this or that, someone is listening. I’m sorry to tell you that’s just not so. Once you were born, you were on your own.”

“I always did what was best for my country and its people. Doesn’t that count for anything?”

“All the people? Or just some of them? What you did was make decisions based on what you felt was right for you. Your self-righteousness often clouded your judgement.”

“Can you give me an example?”

“Fine, let’s start at the beginning. Abortion rights. Your interference caused countless women and children to suffer.”

“Didn’t I always advocate for the rights of unborn children?”

“You ignored the effect of your rulings on the lives of those carrying a potential life inside them. You tried to force woman to give birth to a child, who may not have been wanted. You disregarded the consequences of forcing someone to become a mother when she didn’t want to.”

“She should have thought about it before having sex. All those women opening their legs for any man.”

“Oh, so it’s okay to have sex to breed but not for simple enjoyment? You’re such a prude, Antonin. But I don’t want to discuss your sexual habits. I’m scared of what I might hear.”

“I was protecting the unborn.”

“How can you protect what’s not a real life? And don’t start arguing about when a heart starts to beat. If it can’t survive on its own, it’s not alive. So you wanted to protect a potential life, but after the child came into the world, you were willing to forget about him?”

“What do you mean?”

“You voted against a health care law meant to protect those who became ill. It was far from perfect, but it was an attempt to help those who most needed it. Those who didn’t have the resources to seek care and pay for it.”

“Government shouldn’t force people into programs. It’s not the job of legislators to make such decisions.”

“So, it’s not their job to protect the citizens of their country? You had no problem supporting legislation which impinged on the right of the people, when it was supposedly keeping them safe from terrorists.”

“That’s different!”

“You call laws to protect people different because of what danger their supposed to guard against. Splitting hairs, aren’t you? You weren’t so picky when you decided money spent on political campaigns by corporations was the same as speech and could not be regulated.”

“Corporations have the right to express their opinions. They’re people too, you know?”

“Are you quoting political candidates now?”

“Ooops. I misspoke. That guy’s just a stupid Mormon.”

“So, because it’s not the religion you follow, it’s stupid. Let me make a note of that.”

“You can’t seriously count them as a religion. I mean, they’re polygamists. God meant it to be one man and one woman.”

“You presume when you state what was meant to be and what wasn’t. Thanks for bringing up our next point, anyway. You opposed same sex marriage. Who gave you the right to dictate who people can love?”

“I don’t care what those disgusting people do. The Constitution doesn’t say anywhere, it’s okay for men to marry men!”

“Does it say marriage is just between a man and a woman?”

“Well, no, but that’s different. It’s traditional.”

“People change with time, and so do their traditions. Sometimes those changes come from the people, sometimes it must come from their leaders. You have labored to stop the ones you didn’t personally like. While accepting those which followed your personal philosophy. You were supposed to be impartial. The world will keep on moving, no matter how many brakes you try to apply.”

“Look, maybe―”

 

 

“MR. JUSTICE! Wake up, Mr. Justice! You fell asleep in your chair, sir. You need to get ready. The new term’s about to begin.”

span style="font-family:Verdana,Geneva,sans-serif;">A simplistic approach to complex issues. But after all it's only a dream. Right? :unsure:
© Copyright 2015 Carlos Hazday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

:o:unsure2::no::pinch: Phew.....!! Just a dream.
G's right hand angel (:unsure:) wins the bureaucrat of the year award. :lol:
has a point, tho.
Very well done Carlos. Crisp, clean and directly to the point sans superfluous words.
:):thumbup:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2015 03:01 AM, Reader1810 said:

:o:unsure2::no::pinch: Phew.....!! Just a dream.

G's right hand angel (:unsure:) wins the bureaucrat of the year award. :lol:

has a point, tho.

Very well done Carlos. Crisp, clean and directly to the point sans superfluous words.

:):thumbup:

Thanks 1810!

 

I'm testing out different ways of telling a story now that I'm done with CJ.

 

This is another one which, like Silver Anniversary, sat around for a while. The first Monday in October seemed like the right time to let it see the light of day.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2015 03:05 AM, Parker Owens said:

Only a dream...but one bright morning in heaven...reality?

Thanks, Parker.

 

Scalia is a thorn in my side. Such an intellect, yet so rigid in his thinking, he disappoints me. So I figured he deserves to have a nightmare or two.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2015 03:32 AM, avidreadr said:

Loved it.

Thanks AR. It's good to see you pop up on my notification list. Don't be a stranger!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2015 10:53 AM, Defiance19 said:

Aha-ha! That was brilliant.. Only a dream.. Very good Carlos!

Thanks, Def! Trying out different themes and styles.Things I wouldn't normally do with CJ!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Interesting. Perhaps this is a dream allof the SCOTUS members should have - pointing out all their inconsistencies!

 

Nicely done sir!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/10/2015 07:09 AM, Kitt said:

Interesting. Perhaps this is a dream allof the SCOTUS members should have - pointing out all their inconsistencies!

 

Nicely done sir!

Thanks, sis!

 

Just think, I have three days os far in court with little to do but listen to a judge, a prosecutor, and potential jurors talk. Something's bound to happen.

 

Have to go back Tuesday and Wednesday and the jury wiull be seated by then. I'm still hoping I get in, specially if it means spending time with Doug and Robert!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..