Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Walls - 6. January 2015

Happy New Year! Welcome to 2015

CJ’s stride matched his father’s as they weaved through people beginning to exit the stadium. Momentarily disoriented, he looked at the asphalt expanse full of cars, trying to remember where they’d parked. Brett pointed to their right. Keeping an arm around Ritchie’s shoulders, the four moved in that direction.

César fumbled with his phone and the dings and chimes of it coming alive filled the silence between them. He pressed the screen again and held the phone close to one ear while covering the other with his hand. “Olga? It’s César. I’m sorry, I had my phone turned off, but the stadium got your message to me. We’re leaving now and headed to your house. We should be there within the hour. We’ll get through this together, okay?”

Brett glanced backwards at his husband, a grimace on his face, and tightened his hold on the bewildered lad next to him. The former marine drove them forward, zig-zagging between cars, his eyes scanning his surroundings. CJ could tell his father was in a zone, concentrating on what needed to be accomplished. Brett acted as if they were on a mission and he was ready to play his part. He picked up his pace after César finished the call.

Ritchie had been quiet from the moment he’d seen César hand first Brett and then CJ the folded piece of paper. CJ was trying to process what he’d read. He didn’t know how to react but saw fear etched on his brother’s face and thought the boy had to be terrified. He caught up with the two men in front of him and dislodged Brett’s arm from around his brother, replacing it with his own. He thought he felt the kid shudder but couldn’t be certain. Their quickened pace may have accounted for it.

They reached the dark colored rental and CJ pressed the fob to disarm the security system and unlock the doors. Before he could reach for the handle, he felt a hand on his shoulder and turned around to see his father standing behind him. César squatted in front of the brothers and held Ritchie with both hands on the boy’s arms. ”I’m sorry we had to rush out, buddy. And I’m sorry we haven’t told you what’s going on. I’ve been trying to deal with it one step at a time. I’m going to be honest with you. It’s the same way I treat CJ and you deserve no less. Your grandmother tried to call me and when she couldn’t get me, she called the stadium so they could get a message to me.”

Ritchie’s eyes were wide open. Fear oozed from him and he appeared on the edge of crying. “Is Aba okay? Is Abo?”

“Your grandparents are both fine, son. We’re going to their place right now and you’ll see them soon enough.” César glanced at Brett who was now holding CJ and received an almost imperceptible nod from both. “Your parents are missing, Ritchie. I have no details. That’s what was in the message.”

“Are… are they dead?” The boy was definitely trembling now.

“We don’t know that, bro.” CJ stepped into the space between his dad and brother, wrapping Ritchie in his arms. “Let’s wait until we get to Aba’s and I’m sure we’ll find out more. How come you didn’t ask her any questions, Dad?”

“Because she sounded upset already and I’d rather find out what she knows in person. Brett, why don’t you ride in the back with Ritchie? I need to make a couple more calls. CJ get us the hell out of this place.”

“Dad, are you sure you want me to drive? I’m not old enough for the rental company.” CJ wasn’t sure what he was feeling. His thoughts were a storm buffeting his insides and all he wanted to do was hug and keep holding his brother. But he trusted his fathers implicitly. If César wanted him behind the wheel, that’s what he would do. He just wanted to make certain his dad was aware of what he was asking of him.

“Doesn’t matter. Get us out of here and do it fast.” César motioned with his head for Brett to get in the back seat with Ritchie and climbed in the front. “It’ll be a problem if they find out. Which they won’t. I still want you to be careful. It’s New Year’s and there’ll be plenty of crazy drivers out there. But we need you to get us to Olga’s as quick as possible. I trust you, bud.”

CJ nodded while buckling his seat belt. “I’m gonna take the Turnpike, okay?”

“Whatever you think’s best. I need to text Nick and apologize for the way we disappeared. He was the one who suggested Brett and I turn off our phones so he must have too.”

“Mr. A? What’s… what’s gonna happen to me if Mom and Dad are dead? Where am I going to live if I don’t have a family?”

Before César could answer, Brett fielded the question. “How about if we don’t worry about those things yet, Ritchie. We don’t know what’s happened. Anyway, CJ’s your brother so we’re all family already. And family sticks with each other, just like we do in the military. I’m sure your dad’s mentioned that type of stuff before.”

“I… I think so.” The boy sounded unsure. Fear was distinct in his voice. “He says there’s a rule about not leaving a soldier behind.”

“That’s right. The military asks us to do a lot of things, some of them hard. Like keeping secrets if we get captured. In return they promise to always have our backs. To not abandon us. It’s the same with family, dude. We got your six. Hey, you’ve been to Bimini with your parents, right? Tell me a little about the place. I’ve never been there.”

Brett’s tone was as gentle as CJ had ever heard. A smile feathered his lips and he added a new layer of respect, appreciation, and love to his feelings about the marine. Brett was talking to Ritchie in ways he could relate and trying to route his thoughts away from the horrific prospect of being an orphan.

“Papi… and a happy New Year to you and Mami too. From all of us. Yeah, we just left the stadium and are on our way to Olga’s. Look, about brunch tomorrow…” While César spoke to his father, explaining what was going on and how they might be up too late to meet them early on the first as they had planned, CJ tuned out the conversation and paid attention to his brother talking to Brett.

“I’ve been there a couple of times, Captain. Mom and Dad go a few times a year and meet other people they know who also take their boats over. Bimini’s the closest island in The Bahamas to Miami. Alice Town’s the place where they and their friends always dock. It has a bunch of hotels, restaurants, and bars.”

“So you’ve been hitting the bars when you go there?” Brett nudged the boy with his elbow and CJ saw his brother smile in the rearview mirror for the first time since they’d left the stadium.

“Nooo, I’m not old enough to drink. I don’t know if they all go to them when I’m not around. But when I’ve been there, the grown-ups just hang around the marina and go from boat to boat visiting.”

“That sounds boooring.” Brett put a hand in front of his mouth and exaggerated a yawn. “Is that all they do?”

“You’re funny, Captain. We go swimming, fishing, and exploring around the island. The best’s going shrimping at night. We hang a light down near the water, the shrimp swim up close to it and we use these long nets to catch them. I like it because the next day we get to eat them.”

“So, do you wear life vests when you go out on the boat?”

“CJ and I always had to when we went out. Mom and Dad wore them at night.”

“How come?”

“Dad always said if they fell overboard in the dark…”

CJ tuned out the conversation and concentrated on the road ahead. He sped through the toll plaza without having to stop thanks to the SunPass electronically collecting payments. If he remembered correctly, there was one more plaza right before the Bird Road exit. Their plans had been for Ritchie to spend the night with them at the hotel but right now it didn’t seem like it would go that way. He was hoping for the best: Lourdes and Rich had gotten lost returning to the harbor but eventually found their way back. At the same time, he braced for the possibility they were gone. He didn’t even want to think about it and its implications. Most of all he dreaded the effect it would have on his brother.

Every light appeared to be on at his grandparents’ house when they arrived. Abo was sleeping. The frail grandfather suffered from enough ailments he spent most of his days in front of the TV and went to bed right after dinner. Olga was awake, making soup, with a small percolator sitting on the stove.

Sometime near dawn, Ritchie succumbed to sleep, exhausted from the long day and emotional evening. They still hadn’t heard further news but, fortified by several shots of strong Cuban coffee, CJ was determined to stay awake until they did. Around the same time he was carrying his sleeping brother to the bedroom Brett left the house and headed to the hotel. He was tasked with bringing back clothes for CJ and César so they could shower and change.

A couple of hours after sunrise, the house phone rang and they all seemed to freeze. CJ answered and after listening for a moment identified himself as Lourdes and Rich’s son. He felt no qualms about misleading to the Bahamian official on the other end of the line; his grandmother was in no shape to speak English with someone whose accent would make it hard for her to understand. He asked for paper and pen and jotted down a name and number before hanging up.

Somber and speaking in a soft tone, he stared at his dads and his grandmother. “They’re dead. Their bodies were found floating in the channel between North and South Bimini Islands. He wants me to call back in the afternoon for further information.” CJ stared at the ground until he felt Brett drape an arm over his shoulders.

“Dude, you need to stay strong. Your brother’s going to need you when he wakes up.”

¿Por que, dios mio? ¿Por que?” Olga sagged in her chair and CJ rushed to her side and wrapped her in his arms. He rocked her as if she were a child and consoled her while she cried, her hands covering her face. She seemed older than when they’d left for the game the previous day.

CJ thought there was no reason to ask any god why this had happened but he didn’t think it was the time to discuss religion with his grandmother. “It’s okay, Aba. We’ll get through this, okay? The dads and I will stay here as long as we need to.” He shot his father a stern look, knowing they were supposed to fly out that evening, and César acknowledged it with a small nod.

“Jarhead, why don’t you text Rod and let him know we won’t be returning tonight. Ask him to tell JP and Tom so they don’t worry when the house’s empty over the weekend. And tell them to call us later. No need to share what’s going on until we know more.”

At some point during the night César had started a list on the pad Olga had provided him and he now put a mark next to one of the items at the top. “CJ, why don’t you go shower and change? Try not to wake your brother up, okay?”

“Sure, Dad. You stay with Aba, don’t leave her alone. Oh, who’s going to tell Ritchie when he does wake up?”

“I’ll do it if you want me to but it may be better if you do it yourself. You won’t be alone. Brett and I will be there with you. You know we’ve got your back.”

• • •

CJ, his grandparents, and his dads were sitting in silence when Ritchie woke up and stumbled into the living room rubbing his eyes. César was on the phone texting and CJ on his tablet, attempting to rebook flights for Monday night. He’d fought back when told he had to return to Washington and be in school on Tuesday, but his fathers had not backed down. He and César would be flying home and Brett would stay behind.

When he saw his brother enter the room, he dropped the device and rushed to hug the boy. They’d agreed CJ would tell him about his parents and he did so as soon as he’d steered Ritchie towards the couch. He wasn’t sure how long he held his brother while the kid cried but at some point he’d shed some tears also. For Ritchie. He knew he was shutting out his own emotions concerning the death of his mother and step-father, but his priority was to comfort his orphaned brother. He’d learned his lesson about bottling up his feelings and realized he might be doing it again, but he’d deal with them at another time.

Sometime later, after the tears had dried and the two brothers had eaten breakfast, César suggested Ritchie get dressed. An item he’d mentioned and added to his list before catnapping late in the evening was getting a phone for the boy. Since CJ was seventeen, he couldn’t sign a contract for it, so Brett took the brothers to the mall. Although the cellular company stores were closed for the holiday, the shopping center wasn’t and there they found a kiosk with a hung-over attendant to handle the purchase.

New Year’s wasn’t the ideal day to reach people, but César did his best. He carried on a running commentary letting the people around him know who he was contacting. The hotel to extend their stay. His parents to bring them up to date. His employer to let the office know he would not be in on Monday.

Over the weekend, they moved some of Ritchie’s clothing and personal items to his grandparent’s place; their assumption the Department of Children and Families would agree to Olga and Juan becoming his guardians was proved correct on Monday.

CJ gave up his room at the Biltmore and moved in with his brother over the weekend. He drove Ritchie to school on Monday, stopped by the office to let the administration know what had happened, and to leave his contact information in case of emergency. The office staff remembered him from his time as a student before he’d moved on to Christopher Columbus High School, and promised to make his brother’s teachers aware of the situation and to keep an eye on Ritchie.

While César spent most of the day on the phone arranging for the bodies to be returned to Florida and for their eventual burial, Brett drove to the U.S. Southern Command offices in the city of Doral to report the death of Lieutenant Colonel Richard Peterson. His former position at the Pentagon would help open doors for him. He’d dealt with individuals in the personnel department before. Brett would be able to cut through red tape and start the process of applying for benefits Ritchie would be entitled to.

• • •

“Okay, what’s going on with you?” César sipped from the pre-departure cocktail and stared at CJ.

“Wadda you mean? Nothing’s going on. Unless you count the fact my mother and step-father just died and you yanked me away from Miami and my brother.”

“So something is going on.” César wasn’t glib in his response but a half-smile did crease his lips.

“Fine! I’m pissed, okay? At you and Papa. I can’t believe you forced Ritchie to go to school today and I can’t believe you’re forcing me to go back to Washington tonight. I should be with my brother.” The anguish came through loud and clear.

“I see. Since you’re being petulant about it, would you like me to reply as I would a seven-year-old boy or a seventeen-year-old man?”

“Not in the mood, Dad.”

“Well, we’re going to solve this little problem by the time we land so the sooner you act your age the better. I have nothing else to do for the next two hours.”

“It’s just not fair, okay? Ritchie cried all the way to school this morning and as soon as I picked him up he started again. I should be around to help him.”

“And you have and will continue to do so. It’s the main reason I insisted on getting him a phone right away. So he could talk to you at any time. Look, CJ, this isn’t the first time I’ve had to deal with a young man losing his parents. You might remember you were in the same situation almost two years ago?”

“Not the same, Dad.” Although CJ was still aggravated, he wasn’t biting off words anymore. He paid attention to the conversation and his replies weren’t as snippy as they’d been most of the day.

“Close enough. And I’m trying to use the same approach a good friend of yours recommended then.”

“Who?”

“Dragon. He suggested shopping therapy and keeping you busy. The phone was part of it and I think you should buy him a present this week and send it to him so he gets it before we see him again. Maybe a Walls hoodie? I bet he’d like that.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s a good idea.”

“As for forcing him to go to school today, it was done for the same reason I want you back in school tomorrow. If you sit on your ass all day, worrying and feeling sorry for yourself, nothing good will come of it. There’s a lot to do and I need you to be ready when the time’s right. Olga’s going to need help. Brett will take care of as many things as he can this week, but this is going to take time. You’re gonna have to step up to bat soon enough.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Oh, things like emptying out the house and deciding what to do with all the stuff inside. Figuring out whether we sell and stash the money away for Ritchie or rent it out. What to do about services and funerals. Maybe accompanying your brother to see a grief counselor if we decide he needs one. CJ, you had me and Brett when you lost your parents. We’ll be there for Ritchie also, but you’re his brother. He’s going to need you and you must have your head screwed on right when he does.”

• • •

“CJ Abelló to the principal’s office, please. CJ Abelló to the principal’s office.”

Unlike every other time when his name had been called over the school’s sound system, CJ’s classmates failed to make jokes. Instead they were quiet and watched their fellow student get up from his seat and leave the room. They were all aware of the events of the previous weekend thanks to the school gossip network.

Bradley and Patrick found out about it when their fathers did. They’d both texted CJ and then spread the news to their close friends. Harley, Thiago, and Chipper had all called him over the weekend and several other friends had texted him or posted messages on his Facebook page. He still had to respond to those. He’d meant to do it the previous night after returning home but instead had spent time on Skype with Owen.

“Go right in, CJ. She’s waiting for you,” the school receptionist said as soon as he walked in. “We’re all very sorry about your loss.”

“Thank you.” CJ knew his strained relationship with his mother and step-father was not known by everyone so he decided to accept the condolences with grace. Stopping at the entrance to the principal’s office, he knocked on the doorframe. “Good morning, Mrs. Edwards.”

“Good morning, young man. Please close the door and have a seat. Welcome back. As you can well imagine, the news of your mother’s death has spread like wildfire through the grapevine.”

“Yeah, I figured that would happen when the Kennedys found out. We called their fathers to let them know we were staying in Miami a few more days. They blew up my phone afterwards.”

“I can just imagine. You have a good group of friends, CJ. Don’t ever forget that. I’m sure they and your family are providing you with a great deal of support right now. I’m aware of your estrangement from your mother but this is a distressing situation which can affect you in ways we can’t always anticipate.”

“I’m okay, Mrs. Edwards. No matter how much I may have resented my mother, her death wasn’t something I looked forward to. But I’m okay. My biggest concern’s my little brother and how he deals with both his parents being gone.”

“Captain Davenport called my husband and asked for assistance cutting through red tape at Southern Command. I understand he’s following up on what benefits your brother’s entitled to from the military.”

“Papa’s still in Miami working on that and a few other things. Please thank the Colonel for me. Any help he gives on behalf of my brother is very much appreciated.”

“I’ll do that. I’d also like to offer you access to a counselor in case you feel the need to speak with someone. I’ve seen you battle back from some serious challenges and I’m certain you’ll do so once again. But if you need a little help, all you have to do is ask.”

“There’s one thing. Once they return the bodies to the US and funeral arrangements are made, I’ll be flying to Miami again. I may need to miss a couple of days off school.”

“Let me know when and I’ll make sure all your teachers are aware I approved your absence.”

• • •

A smile grew on CJ’s face when he heard someone coming down the stairs. During the week after returning to Washington and school, he’d taken possession of the large room in the basement and was almost done with moving and rearranging his things.

“You down here, mate?” Owen had flown in from Sydney earlier in the day and texted letting CJ know he was back in town. As soon as CJ arrived home from school he’d texted back asking the Aussie to meet him in the basement.

Owen was unable to say much more as he was wrapped up in a hug and his mouth was mauled by an insistent tongue seeking admission. Prying himself away from the enthusiastic reception, all the man could do was sigh. “Bloody hell, I should stay away more often if this is the way I’m greeted when I return.”

“Hey! It’s been almost a month and I’ve missed you.”

“Feeling’s mutual, mate. I couldn’t wait to get back. What are you doing down here? I figured you’d be upstairs in your room or in the kitchen. It’s a bit early in the day to be playing pool.”

“I wanted to surprise you so I didn’t say anything when we skyped. This is my room. The dads let me move down here as a Christmas present. You can be as loud as you want now. No one can hear us. But the rule about having you stay over still applies. So since tonight’s a school night, you can’t today. But we have time now…”

Sometime later, the two men laid in bed recovering, while CJ used the towel he’d placed under Owen to catch any drips to dry the sweat from their bodies. “Damn, I needed that.”

“You and me both. Were you saving it? I feel full.”

“Nah, but I don’t beat off that often anymore. It’s much more fun when you’re involved. And speaking of being involved, I know you just flew back but I hope you don’t mind leaving town again for a few days.”

“Why, what do you have in mind?”

“We’re flying down to Miami early Friday morning. There’s a viewing that night for my mother and her husband. I’d like you to be there.”

“Sure, I’ll come with you. I better go online and book a ticket. Do you have the flight number?”

“All taken care of. The dads had your information from before and they already bought four tickets. Now tell me about Liz. How’s she doing?”

“Okay, I reckon. She loved the flowers you sent. I have a thank you card for you from her. I didn’t tell her about your mum.”

• • •

CJ adjusted the knot on the muted-blue necktie, brushed off imaginary lint, and took a step back to admire his brother. The kid was handsome. “You look good, bro. The suit fits great and I like the white shirt with that tie.”

“Thanks, CJ. And thanks for buying the clothes for me.”

“Hey, I didn’t buy them. You can thank Abuelo Abelló for that. He wouldn’t let me pay him back.” CJ had enlisted Sebastián Abelló to help ensure Ritchie had the proper attire for the funeral. He’d first asked Yousef Mandana―manager for the Men’s Shop at Neiman Marcus in Washington―for a contact name in Miami. He’d then called his grandfather, told him what he had in mind, and gave him the name of the manager at the Miami store’s Men Shop.

“I already did. When he took me shopping and yesterday when he took me to pick it up. I’ll do it again tonight. How come the guy at the store knew your name?”

“He did? That’s a surprise.”

“Yeah, he said something like you were a valued customer of Neiman’s or something like that. When your grandfather said I was your brother, the guy got like all excited. He said he loved having different generations of the same family shopping there. I think he thought you’re way older.”

CJ threw his head back and roared. His laughter drew the attention of Owen who stuck his head out the bathroom door. “Bro, that’s the story of my life. People look at me and think I’m in college. I sure as shit hope I don’t look like an old man when I hit thirty.”

The funeral home overflowed with mourners. CJ observed the throng approach the front of the room where two brass urns rested atop a linen covered table. He stood behind his grandfather’s wheelchair with Aba and Ritchie flanking him, accepting condolences from people he barely knew and from total strangers. Friends of his grandparents, military personnel who served with Rich, business associates from Lourdes’ bank, and acquaintances they’d both socialized with.

Brett and César, as well as Sebastián and Rosario mingled with the crowd, greeting some they knew and introducing themselves to others. But at least one of them was always near the boys and their grandparents. Owen seemed to blend in and stuck by one of the adults most of the time. CJ did notice a couple of young women engage his boyfriend in conversation and had to smile. The charming Aussie, with his good looks and his hypnotizing accent, was polite to all, but his gaze always found CJ. And whenever their eyes met, Owen’s glowed.

CJ leaned towards his brother when Ritchie tugged on his sleeve. “You really like him, don’t you?” Ritchie whispered in his ear.

“Huh?” CJ was caught by surprise and was uncertain what Ritchie meant.

“Owen. You like him. And he likes you a lot too. You guys keep looking at each other and when you do, you both smile.” Ritchie hugged his brother and buried his head in his chest, his giggling soft enough nobody seemed to notice. “I like him too. He’ll make a nice brother-in-law. Those women talking to him have no idea they don’t have a chance with him.”

“When’d you get so smart?” CJ drew his brother in closer and returned the hug. “But he’s not your brother-in-law. We ain’t married.”

“Yet…”

• • •

The church service the following morning seemed interminable to CJ. He sat in the front pew, hemmed in between Ritchie and Owen, with his dads and both sets of grandparents occupying the rest of the hard, wood bench. In automatic-mass mode, he stood, kneeled, and sat at the proper moments. He refused to stand in line for communion although both grandmothers, his brother, and Owen did. He listened to the palliatives spouted by the priest about the deceased couple and felt like screaming they weren’t as saintly as they were being made out to be. But he kept quiet and tried to maintain a decorous façade.

Outside, once the final blessing had been given, he stood holding one of the urns while his brother held the other one. He accepted repeated condolences once again and was happy when they were at last able to leave the grounds.

The actual interment was private, attended only by the two brothers, Owen, the fathers, and both sets of grandparents. Once the urns were placed in the appropriate niche and the small door closed, CJ felt a sense of relief. He felt neither grief nor glee. The two people he’d just put away for all time had failed him as parents. They had shattered his trust and it had taken his fathers and their unconditional love to rebuild him. He swore he would look after Ritchie for as long as he lived and never allow his brother to feel rejected or abandoned.

• • •

“How you feeling, Jarhead? Are you as tired as I am?” César kicked off his shoes, discarded his suit jacket and tie, and fell back on the bed not bothering to remove his shirt or pants.

“About the same as you, exhausted. It’s not anything physical but my brain’s fried.” They’d had dinner with César’s parents and returned to the hotel, ready to call it a night. “Did you read the text from CJ?”

“The one telling us he and Owen were on the way back? Yeah. Funny how a little over a year ago we were a couple of DINKS. Then we got CJ, and we now have another son to look after.”

“Ozzie?” Brett looked and sounded skeptical. “I don’t think that guy needs us to look after him. And if you’ve paid attention to how he and CJ look at each other and act when they’re together, our son will be the one taking care of him. Our boy seems pretty smitten.”

“True, but I wasn’t talking about Owen. I meant Ritchie. Olga’s strong and independent but Juan’s so frail, it has to be a burden. Throw in a tween and a dog and she may get overwhelmed. I’ll ask my dad to keep an eye on them, but we may have to jump in now and then.”

“I have no problems with that, babe. I like the kid. He’s a tad more subdued than CJ, but he has spunk.”

Thank you Mann Ramblings, Kitt, and Reader 1810 for your hard work.
C. A. Hazday
  • Like 79
  • Love 14
  • Haha 1
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Welcome to the discussion thread for CJ’s series. All things CJ are fair game, I simply ask you be respectful of others. I will actively participate in the discussion. Ask questions, speculate about what’s coming, or bitch about what happened. We’re now open for business!    
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



How sad! Somehow I suspect Ritchie will be in DC sooner rather than later.

 

Also another issue for CJ with his unresolved issues with his mom and step father which are forever forestalled.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Admittedly, I was only thinking of Ritchie getting to be with CJ in DC. I didn't think of the potential blowback, and now I'm kind of sad for the kids. This will be hard for them. CJ has to not lose himself while taking care of his brother. He lost too, as much as he won't want to admit it. The dads had the right idea keeping things as close to normal as possible.
The great thing is that both boys have and will continue to have a great support system. The dads know what to look for if CJ starts to slip. I'm sure having Owen close will help too.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Another good read - thank you Carlos!
You hate to see a death in the family of 2 parents at once, even if they are not great ones. Ritchie and CJ are fortunate to have a great support group I know they will come out of it stronger.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Poor Richie. A tragedy for him but I know the family will all come together for him. You've made these people feel so real to me, I keep thinking I need to send a sympathy card.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

Brett and Cesar are not the only ones tired at the end of that chapter, a very sad chapter. So sad for poor Richie and for CJ too. There is no possibility of fixing his relationship with his mother now, no mending of bridges. I guess we don't know what is in the will yet so Lourdes may surprise us but I fear not. It will definitely be a topic for discussion with Dragon.

 

The only good news out of that chapter was that Liz "seems OK". It's not that I don't trust you Carlos but there is still more to that story. It would be a nice mirror for Owen and CJ, Owen supported CJ through the death of his brother's parents, CJ could support Owen with whatever will be happening to his favourite sister, Liz. Of course now I have said that out loud it won't happen but it was a nice idea.

 

And on the topic of Owen and CJ, it was good to see Richie getting in on the act - Go Team Owen ;)

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Really nice chapter Carlos, well written, sad but filled with hope.
Can we expect Richie to move to DC ??? who knows, but some how I am sure you have a twist awaiting us lol.
Thanks.
Jeff

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A very well composed chapter. Not at all what I was expecting. I think our youngman still has some unresolved issues concerning his mother, burying her with such cold stoicism. I also think that Ritchie is going to end up in DC within the year. Losing Lourdes will be very hard on her parents and they might not be able to care for Ritchie.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 02/10/2017 09:13 PM, tesao said:

Yeah, couldn't wait to read this chapter - even though it's a bit before 2 AM on Friday in California. Although I expected this outcome, seeing it was a sucker punch to the gut. I feel terrible for Ritchie, in spite of his parents' douchebaggery. (Is that a word?). He's lucky to have such a loving brother and extended family. Hopefully, this will narrow or even erase the geographical distance between CJ and Ritchie.

I admit that the lawyer in me wondered who the parents actually named as guardians in their wills, and if there are contingent guardians or other family of Lourdes' husband who would interfere with Ritchie's and CJ's reunion. Time for bed before more "what ifs" pop into my head. Excellent chapter, Carlitos.

Muito obrigado for the wonderful comments.

 

We'll hear a bit more about Ritchie's father's family in the next chapter. For now, my understanding's everything else being kosher, the closest living adult relative would be the first choice of guardian.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/10/2017 09:20 PM, Daddydavek said:

How sad! Somehow I suspect Ritchie will be in DC sooner rather than later.

 

Also another issue for CJ with his unresolved issues with his mom and step father which are forever forestalled.

Even though the deceased weren't the nicest people in the world, Ritchie's life's been turned upside down and that will bring pain.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/10/2017 10:08 PM, Defiance19 said:

Admittedly, I was only thinking of Ritchie getting to be with CJ in DC. I didn't think of the potential blowback, and now I'm kind of sad for the kids. This will be hard for them. CJ has to not lose himself while taking care of his brother. He lost too, as much as he won't want to admit it. The dads had the right idea keeping things as close to normal as possible.

The great thing is that both boys have and will continue to have a great support system. The dads know what to look for if CJ starts to slip. I'm sure having Owen close will help too.

Don't you wish we could all have the kind of support network Ritchie has. He'll return in the next chapter and we'll see what transpires then.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/10/2017 10:28 PM, jwh6868 said:

Another good read - thank you Carlos!

You hate to see a death in the family of 2 parents at once, even if they are not great ones. Ritchie and CJ are fortunate to have a great support group I know they will come out of it stronger.

There's no reason to believe Ritchie's parents mistreated him at all so his loss is going to hurt him a heck of a lot more than it will CJ.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/10/2017 10:56 PM, avidreadr said:

Poor Richie. A tragedy for him but I know the family will all come together for him. You've made these people feel so real to me, I keep thinking I need to send a sympathy card.

Thank you! I strive to make the characters believable and although it's been mostly an upbeat story, we all face loss at some point. Let's hope Ritchie's resilient enough to bounce back stronger than ever.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 12:43 AM, Bucket1 said:

Brett and Cesar are not the only ones tired at the end of that chapter, a very sad chapter. So sad for poor Richie and for CJ too. There is no possibility of fixing his relationship with his mother now, no mending of bridges. I guess we don't know what is in the will yet so Lourdes may surprise us but I fear not. It will definitely be a topic for discussion with Dragon.

 

The only good news out of that chapter was that Liz "seems OK". It's not that I don't trust you Carlos but there is still more to that story. It would be a nice mirror for Owen and CJ, Owen supported CJ through the death of his brother's parents, CJ could support Owen with whatever will be happening to his favourite sister, Liz. Of course now I have said that out loud it won't happen but it was a nice idea.

 

And on the topic of Owen and CJ, it was good to see Richie getting in on the act - Go Team Owen ;)

Hey! CJ offered to fly to Australia to be with Owen when he heard about Liz! I'd say they'rYou have no idea how much Ritchie's on Team Owen! In the next chapter he actually :X

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 12:59 AM, Jeff1 said:

Really nice chapter Carlos, well written, sad but filled with hope.

Can we expect Richie to move to DC ??? who knows, but some how I am sure you have a twist awaiting us lol.

Thanks.

Jeff

Ritchie will be settling in at his grandparents but you never know what Mann will make me write! Twists? Turns? Surprises? Maybe a couple coming soon.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 03:16 AM, dughlas said:

A very well composed chapter. Not at all what I was expecting. I think our youngman still has some unresolved issues concerning his mother, burying her with such cold stoicism. I also think that Ritchie is going to end up in DC within the year. Losing Lourdes will be very hard on her parents and they might not be able to care for Ritchie.

Thanks, dugh!

 

I did step outside my comfort zone with this one. I try to keep it light most of the time but there was no avoiding the sadness in this chapter.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

What a serious and difficult chapter. You have made us think carefully about mortality and what we leave behind. Ritchie is going to need his older brother very often. Perhaps the event will make CJ more reflective for a while. What happens when everyone stops going on autopilot will be telling. Looking forward to more. Always

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Walls took quite an interesting turn with the death of CJ/s mother and stepfather. The developments to come should be interesting. Ritchie will need close communication from CJ to get through this experience. I have friends who lost one or both of their parents at a young age. Just being friendly and kind to them was helpful to them, since I had no personal experience with this. My parents lived to be 86 and 93.
I will definitely look forward to more of this story.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

A sad chapter. Not so much because of Lourdes' and Rich's deaths, but because of the effect on their family, especially Richie. You were understated in your writing about the death and funeral, and to me, it was just right. Good conversation between Carlos and CJ about being ready to support his brother. It always amuses me when CJ's maturity slips. Also nice reunion between CJ and Owen. And you always add little touches, like buying Richie's suit, that add so much to the story and make your characters So real. Another fine job, Carlos. Thanks. Jeff

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I am sure I predicted the death of their parents. I honestly think Ritchie should eventually move in with CJ and his dad's. I enjoyed the chapter and I think CJ's actions with his dad when he complained about going home was perfectly normal. One reviewer said he was being immature. Christ he is only 17. Give him a break.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 05:20 AM, Parker Owens said:

What a serious and difficult chapter. You have made us think carefully about mortality and what we leave behind. Ritchie is going to need his older brother very often. Perhaps the event will make CJ more reflective for a while. What happens when everyone stops going on autopilot will be telling. Looking forward to more. Always

Thanks, Parker!

 

This was an interesting chapter to write. Itried to keep CJ's reactions in character. The loss of his mother didn't affect him as much as his brother's pain and he'll be doing his best to make it easier on his brother.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 06:59 AM, WildcatLes said:

Walls took quite an interesting turn with the death of CJ/s mother and stepfather. The developments to come should be interesting. Ritchie will need close communication from CJ to get through this experience. I have friends who lost one or both of their parents at a young age. Just being friendly and kind to them was helpful to them, since I had no personal experience with this. My parents lived to be 86 and 93.

I will definitely look forward to more of this story.

Plenty more coming, Les. Lourdes managed to turn CJ's life upside down when she allowed her husband to throw him out and in death she'll be the cause of big changes once again. Let's hope things turn out as well for Richie as they did for his brother.

  • Like 3
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 07:23 AM, JeffreyL said:

A sad chapter. Not so much because of Lourdes' and Rich's deaths, but because of the effect on their family, especially Richie. You were understated in your writing about the death and funeral, and to me, it was just right. Good conversation between Carlos and CJ about being ready to support his brother. It always amuses me when CJ's maturity slips. Also nice reunion between CJ and Owen. And you always add little touches, like buying Richie's suit, that add so much to the story and make your characters So real. Another fine job, Carlos. Thanks. Jeff

CJ's at that ackward age where he knows what's right but isn't always able to act accordingly. Something like going through puberty and your voice changes. His maturity cracks now and then and we see the child beneath the man.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 12:53 PM, bbonnett3 said:

I am sure I predicted the death of their parents. I honestly think Ritchie should eventually move in with CJ and his dad's. I enjoyed the chapter and I think CJ's actions with his dad when he complained about going home was perfectly normal. One reviewer said he was being immature. Christ he is only 17. Give him a break.

I have a feeling the trips between Miami and Washington will come at a more frequent rate from now on. With help from his dads, CJ will find the proper balance.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..