Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 697 Words
  • 3,062 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Here Kitty, Kitty - 17. Chapter 8.1

Simon and Kitryn crouched behind some bushes near to the entrance of the bears' den.

“What do we do now?” Simon whispered. “It’s not like they have a doorbell we can go up and ring to get their attention.”

“Oh, they probably know we’re here already,” Kitryn replied as he shifted trying to get comfortable. “Bears have a very good sense of smell and they would set guards.”

True to Kitryn’s words a voice echoed out of the darkness. “We know there is someone there. Show yourselves and state your business.”

Kitryn held up his hands and moved out. Simon copied him staying a step behind.

“We mean you no harm. We come seeking sanctuary for us and our family. There are six of us in all. Three adults and three kits.”

“You say family, but you are not the same. You are a cat and he is a vamp.”

“We are still a family. We’ve been together now for a while and we have helped each other survive. We will happily tell you our story, but I would rather get the kits inside out of the cold.”

There was some muttered speech that was over before Simon could think to try and eavesdrop.

“Get your family and we will escort you to our elder. He will decide if you can stay after he has heard what you have to say.”

Kitryn nodded to Simon and he let out a low whistle.

Meg and the kits moved forward from where they were hiding. After they’d gathered around Simon and Kitryn a male came forward holding a hand out to indicate they should proceed him.

They were led to a large room with two couches and several armchairs. There was a fire to their left and the warmth of the room felt wonderful after days outside.

The kits crowded around the fireplace and soon fell asleep as only the very young can, all in a pile.

A shifter entered supported by the same young male that had led hem to the room. He was stooped with age and had long white hair bound at his nape with a leather strip. The young one led him to a chair and bowed before heading back out the room, shutting the door behind him.

“So, I’m told you are claiming sanctuary. We haven’t had anyone looking for protection in years. I am Elder Patrick. Why don’t you fill me in on your story before I make a final decision.”

Kitryn waved a hand at Simon and so Simon started by telling his story of how he was turned and how he’d been living since.

Then Kitryn took up the tale-telling how there had been an attack on his home and he’d escaped with the kits and run into Simon.

Lastly, Meg told how she’d been run out of her home and had made a new one near the humans until the hunters had come snooping around.

Elder Patrick looked at them when they’d finished, weighing their words.

“I will grant you temporary sanctuary while I consult with my advisors. You may stay tonight and through tomorrow until your vamp can travel. If it is decided to deny your request you will be given supplies to see you through at least a week. Until then I will get Josh to come and show you to a room where you can rest more comfortably.”

***

Later when they’d resettled the kits and Meg had decided to enjoy having a comfortable bed while she could, Simon and Kitryn sat together in front of another fire, squashed together on a small couch.

“At least we have shelter for a while,” Simon sighed philosophically.

Kitryn grunted. “I think we’re in with a good chance. If nothing else it would look bad on the council if they threw out three young kits, back into a dangerous situation.”

Simon grinned. “Well, having young ones around is good for some things then.”

This made them both chuckle and then they went back to quietly contemplating the fire. At least they were warm, dry, and comfortable for a night and a day. Who knew what tomorrow would bring?

No prompt this week it was a free week. 
Thank you to everyone who reads, reacts, and comments on my stories it means a lot. :hug: 
And, of course, thank you to Tim M for his unending patience :hug: 
Copyright © 2017 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 42
  • Love 15
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Let’s hope the bears are nice and give them sanctuary, they hopefully stand a good chance because of the kits. Loved how the kits fell asleep in front of the warm fire.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

It is not always good to generalize, but in a lot of shifter stories bears tend to be protective of others. Maybe our travellers will catch a break, at least for awhile. Some time being safe would allow them to make a plan. Thanks for continuing this story. I really enjoy it!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
On 4/25/2018 at 1:01 AM, Headstall said:

The fire sounded so good... I'm glad the kitts got to feel its warmth. :)  Now, the bears have to be nice, and let them stay, right?  Great job, Caz... cheers... Gary....

 

The bears will have to make the decision that is in their best interests and safety of their den. If taking in the family will put them or their families in danger they have no choice but to say no. 

 

On 4/25/2018 at 2:16 AM, chris191070 said:

Let’s hope the bears are nice and give them sanctuary, they hopefully stand a good chance because of the kits. Loved how the kits fell asleep in front of the warm fire.

 

I do think the kits will make the bear lean towards helping them./ But, that help may not include sanctuary due to the same things I mentioned to Gary above 

 

On 4/25/2018 at 4:51 AM, JeffreyL said:

It is not always good to generalize, but in a lot of shifter stories bears tend to be protective of others. Maybe our travellers will catch a break, at least for awhile. Some time being safe would allow them to make a plan. Thanks for continuing this story. I really enjoy it!

 

I don't know about Bears in particular. But, in most shifter stories children are to protected by any adults around, whatever their species. We'll have to wait and see

 

Thank you, everyone, for reading and commenting, it means a lot and I am sorry it took so long for me to answer you all.

 

:hug: :hug: :hug: 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..