Jump to content
    Caz Pedroso
  • Author
  • 1,753 Words
  • 1,352 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Special Occasion Stories - 4. Adam and Ben - New Year Special

New Year’s Eve

Adam was trying very hard not to yawn, Mrs. Gregoren was a lovely lady but she could talk forever, about nothing.

“Adam!” came Ben’s panicked voice in his mind.

“Excuse me please ma’am, I need to be somewhere,” he said as calmly as he could and moved away from the vocal woman.

He just caught the “Well really,” as he got out of ear shot.

“What’s wrong my mate?” he asked as he made his way toward the exit. Ben had stayed home with Thomas and Jamie’s children as babysitter. He was too far along in his current pregnancy to be comfortable at the New Year party. Adam had promised he would be home before midnight to welcome in the new year with his mate and the children.

“Umm, I think I may be in labor,” Ben said. Then Adam felt a wave of pain flow over their link and he sped up as soon as he exited the council building. He used his vampire speed and left the Cr in favor of running home.

When he arrived he found Ben curled up on the floor with a scared five-year-old Elizabeth hovering over him.

“Beth, can you contact your da or uncle Casey? I don’t think he took his phone and I don’t think Ben is in control enough to use magic.”

“Yes, uncle Adam,” Beth agreed and Adam watched her lips move silently. There was a moments paused and Casey and Jamie appeared right beside Beth.

“really Ben,” Casey moaned. “Couldn’t you wait until after new year? I had a cute bartender almost agreeing to be my new year kiss.”

Adam rolled his eyes to himself, he really didn’t think Jackson would have liked seeing Casey kiss someone who wasn’t him but that was their business. The sooner Jackson pulled his head out of the sand the better all round.

“Soorrry,” Ben groaned and Adam dropped instantly to his side and gently started to massage Ben’s lower back. “I tried to ignore the pains earlier, thinking they were just false alarms. I mean, I am three weeks early.” A muttered spell from Casey had Ben taking a deep breath as the pain receded.

“Right,” Casey clapped his hands to get everyone’s attention. “I’ll take Ben and Adam to the clinic. Jamie you bring the kids and get them settled at our place. Then come find me. I’ll try and delay anything until you arrive, otherwise Doris is on duty tonight so either way I’ll have the help I need for the birth.”

Everyone rushed to gather up the things they needed. The kids were covered in thick coats, hats, and scarves. Adam rushed to the bedroom to find Ben’s bag.

Adam was ready first and Casey placed a hand on his and Ben’s shoulder. The world went white and when it reshaped they were in one of the examination rooms of the clinic. Ben was curled up on a bed and Casey and Adam were standing beside him.

Casey moved quickly round the room, pulling out trays of instruments, blankets, bowls, wash cloths, and more Adam didn’t recognize. He hadn’t really been very coherent during Thomas’ birth he had been too worried about Ben. This time was shaping up to be just as bad, it was too early for the baby to be born. Hat if something went wrong? What if the baby wasn’t well? What if…

“Adam,” Casey snapped, pulling his attention away from his spiraling thoughts. “Pay attention or stay out of the way. What’ll it be?”

“What do you want me to do?” Adam immediately asked. He didn’t want to just be shoved to the side again.

“I need you to—” they were interrupted by a long groan from Ben.

Casey moved to Ben’s side and held his hands over Ben’s swollen stomach while muttering quickly.

An image appeared and fizzled in and out of focus until it settled and Adam could see their baby. It seemed to be moving and stretching, each time it moved Ben groaned and tried to curl up.

“This baby is being born now, whether we’re ready or not.” Casey stated as he waved the image away and moved to the door. yanking in open he caught hold of a passing nurse. “Find senior healer Doris and get her here right now.” He instructed. The nurse nodded and rushed away.

Casey moved back to Ben and placed a hand on his forehead while muttering fast. Ben went slack just as the door opened again and an elderly women entered.

“You called Casey?” she asked taking in the room at a glance.

“Yes, we have a cesarean birth on our hands that has to happen quickly.”

Doris nodded and checking the tools that were out she moved to the opposite side of the bed to Casey.

Then Casey asked, “Everyone ready?”

 

“I’m not ready!” came Ben’s plaintive voice in Adam’s mind. “It hurts Adam; it hurts so much.”

Adam frowned at Ben’s words. “I thought you numbed the pain Casey?” he asked in a worried tone.

Casey looked up. “I have don’t worry. Ben can’t feel a thing.”

“Yes I can. And I can hear everything too.” Ben shouted silently. “Stop him.”

Adam grabbed Casey’s hand making sure to get the man’s full attention. “He can hear and feel everything. He is telling me that. Now, something is wrong. You’re not cutting into him until I know he isn’t feeling any pain and that the baby is okay.”

Casey froze and he stared a moment, all the while Ben was still screaming in Adam’s head.

“Let me go,” Casey demanded his posture changing. Adam let go and Casey immediately starting muttering again. Lights seemed to flash over Ben, colors swirling and changing so fast Adam started to feel dizzy.

“What’s wrong?” Jamie demanded as he burst into the room. His gaze swept the room then he immediately went to the opposite side of the bed to Casey and joined his twins chanting.

Time seemed to stretch and Adam tried to send calming thoughts to Ben, while still watching and assessing what the twins were doing. Doris seemed just as worried and was hovering at the door.

Casey started muttering some bits that Adam could just make out, words such as; Twins, joined, and tangled, reached him. His worry escalated and his only consolation was that Ben’s pain filled cries had lessened and his mate seemed to be resting peacefully at the moment.

Then Jamie joined in; not twins, cord tangled, oxygen deprivation. Adam was getting ready to yell if someone didn’t tell him something soon.

 

“Adam, what is going on?” Ben sounded scared. And he had every reason to be Adam thought.

“Everything is fine love,” Adam lied. “The little one is just being stubborn and doesn’t want to leave its warm home.”

Ben seemed to relax again and Adam returned his attention to the twins.

“Right I think we have it,” Casey said stepping back and leaving Jamie muttering still over Ben. “Doris, we are going to need an incubator, more blankets, and another senior nurse so please get Flora for me and hurry.” The nurse ran out the room.

Adams patience finally broke. “What the hell is going on? Someone had better tell me something or I am going to start banging heads.”

Casey looked up in shock as though he had forgotten that Adam was even there.

“I’m so sorry Adam. I wasn’t ignoring you I promise. But, Ben needed all my attention.” Adam nodded and Casey continued. “The umbilical cord is wrapped round the baby’s neck. The baby is breathing but is starting to have trouble. We need to get the baby out and into an incubator as it is still small and will need monitoring. The extra blankets are to ensure the baby doesn’t get too cold as it’s lungs and other system will need a bit of help to start with.”

Doris came rushing back in pushing a cart and with another woman following her.

Casey instantly started barking orders. “Right, Flora set up the unit and get ready to wrap the bay as soon as it’s out. Doris I need you to stand directly by Jamie. I will open Ben up and unwrap the cord, while Jamie holds the baby still and then passes it to you. Wrap it—”

“Casey, we need to do this now. The bay’s vitals are fluctuating.” Jamie broke in.

Casey waved everyone to their posts and joined Jamie.

 

Adam watched as Casey used the same technique as when Thomas was born. Ben’s stomach was opened and Jamie reached in to hold the baby. Doris reached in and with a few words she removed a long rope like thing, Adam looked away hoping his stomach didn’t empty itself. Then he heard a wonderful sound. Jamie was lifting a small wriggling pink bundle, and it was emitting a low mewling squalling.

Flora rushed over and Doris took the blanket to get the baby wrapped. “Congratulations you have a lovely baby girl,” she said as she rushed over to the incubator.

Casey and Jamie started chanting together and the incision healed before his eyes. After a few silent moments Ben started to stir.

“Is the baby ok?” were his first words.

“Yes, she’s fine,” Casey reassured him before moving over to the incubator, where the little girl was really exercising her lungs now.

After a few checks he lifted her and brought her over to her new parents.

Adam had pulled a cover over Ben and was sitting on the edge of the bed. Casey set the little one in Ben’s arms and Adam enfolded them both in a loose hug.

“She’s perfect,” Ben murmured.

“Yes, you both are,” Adam whispered and laid a soft kiss on each of their cheeks.

“Let’s not do this again anytime soon,” Ben pleaded, causing a ripple of giggles to go round the room.

“I think we have our family for now,” Adam agreed.

They sat there until Casey insisted the baby needed to go back in the incubator at least for a few days for observation.

Adam pulled Ben into his arms and kissed him.

“I love you my mate, thank you for giving me a wonderful family,” he sent.

“I love you too,” Ben answered and cuddled into Adam’s body before falling into a healing sleep.

From outside came a cheer and shout,

"Happy New Year Everyone”

Copyright © 2017 Caz Pedroso; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..