Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,003 Words
  • 4,584 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Denied - 42. Chapter 42

I watched everything. I wanted to ask questions, but once Captain issued his orders, the crew moved very quickly. We approached the central planet, and I couldn’t help but wonder at what was coming. Would we succeed?

Deke and Captain were exchanging furious looks, but Captain kept avoiding my gaze while Deke would look at me. Captain finally stood and went over to where Deke was sending orders to the security crew through one of the consoles. They spoke low enough I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but Captain grew more rigid with every stab of Deke’s hand in the air.

“Kohen!” Captain barked my name, and I jumped. I strode over to him, stopping a few feet from him and Deke.

“Yes?” Was he going to order me back to his quarters? I didn’t want to go. I squared my shoulders and took a deep breath, locking my jaw and preparing to argue with him.

“See?” Deke said.

Captain’s shoulders slumped. “It would be safer if—”

“No one on the ship is safe. And if the goal of your cousin and this other guy has been to get me this whole time, me hiding in your quarters wouldn’t do anything but ensure they tear apart the ship until they find me there—though, since Lakshou was a traitor and feeding them information, he probably told them exactly where my quarters were and they’d go directly to that ring anyway.”

Deke snorted, and Captain grimaced. “Arm him.” He turned and walked away.

“What?” I stared at Deke who didn’t look happy, but he did look relieved.

“You made the same points I did. Captain Querry allowed you here, and you’re never going to be safe. You’re too valuable as a hostage, or a patient, or an experiment, or an assassin.” He said it so blithely, like it didn’t even matter what they’d done to me in the years they’d twisted my brain and body. He didn’t shy from it or break eye contact, and that alone was what let me do the same. “So whatever the hell else they want from you, they’re not going to just give up. Not even if we take out these guys. And Captain saying this would only take a few days?”

His gaze flicked over my shoulder. “You should be ready for this to take more than a few days. This could spark another war. Brox has been pushing for too long. This isn’t just a business or a few politicians giving a company contracts for stations and planetary developments. This is bigger. This is power and control. Mind control.”

Like he had to remind me. I knew exactly what had terrified me and forced me to make him trap me in Captain’s quarters until I was sure I wouldn’t be a danger to everyone else. Because if they could do that—turn anyone into an assassin without warning—then no one would be safe. Isolationism would rule the universe.

Easy pickings after that.

“If this is bigger than we know, if we can’t cut the head off the snake, then the decision will have to be made. Run, let the universe take care of itself until it reaches wherever we try to hide away, or stay and fight even if some of us don’t make it.” Deke turned and led me to a corner of the room. He pressed a finger to a sensor on the wall, and it slid open to reveal a cache of weapons. “Though I think you’ve already made that decision.”

I stared at the array of deadly options in front of me. This was more than just thinking I probably wasn’t a threat; this was being sure I was on their side. This was giving me a way to protect myself and Captain too. To make sure I never ended up in that cell again.

My eyes burned, and I blinked rapidly. I cleared my throat. “Yeah.”

“So anything here something you’ve been trained on?”

I pointed to a few, and Deke started handing them over along with the proper shields and attachments to secret them about my body. Accustomed to undercover work, I hid them all away. There was something reassuring about being armed. Most of the time, on the missions I’d been sent on, I’d had no weapons but the ones I’d managed to find in my environment.

“We’re closing in, and our escorts should be joining us at any moment.” Captain stood. “All hands to your assigned stations and quarters. Freska, how close do you need to be to get with the ships for the raid on Intelligence? Do you need to transfer ships?”

“Not as close as they’d like to think,” she said gleefully. “I’m patched in, and they won’t know what hit them. And I don’t need to leave my girl at all.”

Deke returned to his console and I went back to stand beside Captain where I belonged. He stared intently at his screen, watching the increasing traffic on our approach. I didn’t understand all the information on the vid, but I could see the movement and paths plotted. There were at least six on a course straight for us.

“Captain….”

“Everett,” he corrected me.

In front of his crew? Impossible. I opened my mouth, and nothing came out. He brushed his fingers lightly against the back of my hand. “Everett….” It came out wobbly and hoarse. I swallowed. “Six ships?”

“It’s okay. I’ve had pings from each of them on a private channel, one that those traitors could never have learned about. They’re all captained by people we can trust. Only four were assigned to us; two more are tagging along cloaked to everyone but us.”

I nodded. “Okay.” I brushed my hand on the weapon at my waist, only a slight bulge revealing it. Captain caught me.

“You know I didn’t count on this, to be honest, but it makes me feel better that you’re armed. It feels right.”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 57
  • Love 31
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sounds like everyone is in place.  Quick strike and the justice for Kohen and everyone else that has been tortured and used in these horrific experiments.  Can’t wait for next week and the battle. Thanks. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

"This isn’t just a business or a few politicians giving a company contracts for stations and planetary developments. This is bigger. This is power and control. Mind control."  Taking out a single politician and intelligence mole won't wipe out the Brox Consortium or win a war. It will serve only to alert the Consortium and put it on its guard. The better part of valor would be to place the known Brox operatives under surveillance and trace their contacts--to identity more of the Consortium to enable a massive,  crippling strike when enough of the Consortium has been exposed. Striking now may be satisfying but loses our heroes their hard-won and only lead.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
18 hours ago, travlbug said:

"This isn’t just a business or a few politicians giving a company contracts for stations and planetary developments. This is bigger. This is power and control. Mind control."  Taking out a single politician and intelligence mole won't wipe out the Brox Consortium or win a war. It will serve only to alert the Consortium and put it on its guard. The better part of valor would be to place the known Brox operatives under surveillance and trace their contacts--to identity more of the Consortium to enable a massive,  crippling strike when enough of the Consortium has been exposed. Striking now may be satisfying but loses our heroes their hard-won and only lead.

 

I have to disagree with you here. They have a limited time window to do this attack on two highly placed operatives. They won't be able to get this close again. Once they figure out their plan to take the Captain's ship has failed, their first step would be to declare the Captain and crew terrorists and issue termination on sight orders. As highly placed as they are, they can easily do it. One of the functions of intelligence is telling believable lies. Other than attack now, the only option is to run.

 

They will be able to seize all the intel they want after the battle. Querry doesn't have unlimited resources at this point. He only has a handful of other captains he can trust. Once these two are exposed, then they will have the total power of the government with them.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

WOW, Battle, Am anxios for next chapter, Its the first time I start reading a Story thats not yet finish because of the wait, but its worthit

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..