Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 997 Words
  • 4,148 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Denied - 47. Chapter 47

We reassembled into something that appeared to be guards hurrying Elliard away for treatment for any recording that might capture our escape and any staff we might run into since we didn’t have time to find his secret exit. Captain kept one hand on Elliard’s shoulder, but I could see his fingers digging in, not gently resting on his cousin in reassurance. No, he didn’t want to let go because he wanted to ensure the bastard stayed close so he couldn’t get away.

I understood, though I’d already exacted my form of revenge on him. His frantic eye rolls and the rapid thrumming of his heartbeat in his throat were subtle signs of the agony Deke said he suffered, but it was enough to satisfy the dark need inside me for the way he’d threatened to harm Captain.

There was one tense moment when two workers came out of a door and nearly slammed into our rushing group, but they flattened along the corridor and simply watched us rush by, their eyes wide and mouths dropped open.

“They could alert someone. Don’t you know a faster way out of here?” Deke snapped.

“Almost there now.” The guard in front swung right at the fork in the corridor and then a left, and then a large set of double doors whooshed open and we were once again outside. This time I was upright, moving, able to see and feel and hear the world moving around me as more than a frozen block of flesh.

Not that there was anything to see or hear. We were in a quiet courtyard surrounded by buildings and the ground was covered as far as the eye could see with artificial landing grids. Each one held a craft. “Here.” The guard held out a locator and ignition wand. “Take this. It’s mine. It’ll get you to the hospital. Don’t get to the main Command one, or you’ll get made.”

“I didn’t plan on it, son.” Captain clapped him on the shoulder. “Take care of yourself and don’t get caught for what you did today.”

The shifty guard moved in a hunch, drawing his shoulders forward and down, slouching to one side and effecting a hard limp as he took a few steps to clasp forearms with Deke. “Me? Take on other guards after my injuries? Not likely.”

“Ahh… a fox in the hen house, I see.” Deke grinned. “As long as it gets you some pity dates as well. War hero and all that.” They laughed.

“There were no heroes in that war,” Captain said, his voice bleak. I put a hand on his shoulder. He was rigid under my touch. “We need to go.”

Deke somberly led the way, muscling the grav lift into the car when it didn’t want to glide into place smoothly. “Sorry,” he said under his breath to Captain when he passed him.

“I know.” Captain nodded once.

 

We headed away from the Intelligence building. “Are we really taking him to a hospital?” I asked.

Deke was at the controls of the craft. “No. Leastwise, not one that’s on any official radar. But they’ll be able to keep him alive when the paralytic wears off. I’d take him to the ship, but I can’t guarantee Aparoe will have what is needed.”

“How do you know so much about it? Do you have a medical background?” I knew so little about the men and women and other species who made up Captain’s crew.

“No. But I know my weapons.” Deke stood straight and tall. “Know what kind of wounds and damage they can make. You shouldn’t use a weapon if you aren’t sure.”

I brushed away the faint need to apologize at his words; they weren’t accusatory, just matter-of-fact. It was a lesson I’d take to heart.

 

Hours passed while we were forced to wait for Elliard to be treated. I did apologize, often, for that. We needed to get back to the ship and relieve Kekillill before someone realized the ruses with the other ships and that we’d been to Intelligence and to pick up Elliard’s accomplice, Frijul, as well.

“Deke, you got this?” Captain asked after a full clock turn.

“Not going anywhere.” He was seated in the corridor outside Elliard’s treatment bay, the man’s grav unit in plain sight.

“We’ll be back.” Captain captured my hand and towed me along with him. I dug in my heels when we approached the exit.

“Where are we going?” Leaving the makeshift hospital in the older building flanked by two automated factories was dangerous. I couldn’t let him take the risk.

“You need clothing. The rest of us have our uniforms or off-duty clothes. You have some things cobbled together or robes.” My chest constricted at the idea of wearing the robes Lakshou had given me. “Yes, that. So I want to stop at the tailored dispensary I saw down this road.”

Before I could argue, before I even knew what else there was to argue about, I was in a semi-private cubicle at the shop, stripped of every thread of clothing, with lights scanning every inch of my body while I was put through poses on the vid screen.

The last pose just faded when Captain opened the door. He was grinning widely.

“Glad you’re amused,” I said drily. “Since you dind’t have to do it. Some of the poses!” Obscene. That’s the only word that came to mind.

“Oh, I have before. I remember them. And I’ve been sitting outside the door, thinking about the last time I had a suit made here. But you made it into an art form.” Captain had his clothes draped over his arm.

“Captain, I need to get—”

“Everett.”

“What?” I snapped. I stopped trying to shield myself and crossed my arms over my chest.

“You said you’d call me by my name.” Everett stepped in so close I could feel his warmth. “Everett. Say it.”

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 48
  • Love 32
  • Haha 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It’s great that Kohen is finally getting better with the crew members which shows by his apologies for the use of a weapon that he was unfamiliar with. I’m glad that Everett took Kohen to where he could get some clothing to wear other than the few meger pieces he had now. Ellard is going to be in worse shape than he is now if he tries anything to attempt to get away Kohen will make sure of it.  Especially since he tried to kill Everett who was kind enough to make sure that Kohen was cared for properly.  Great chapter.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Well, good to see they got a little fun/flirty time in during their busy raid schedule. ;) A man can't live on fighting powers of evil alone!

  • Like 4
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..