Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 306 Words
  • 912 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dribbles - 30. One More Solstice

This short was written as an alternate story to the 300 word piece I wrote for the 2017 QSF group's flash fiction contest. The theme for the contest is "Renewal" so that's inspiration for this work. There is something incredibly challenging about trying to create a complete world and plot, with multiple characters, in just 300 words, but it's a ton of fun!

“Today, Anatol.”

“Is this an order?” Anatol stared outside. Both suns shone bright, and the keen brilliance reflected off every crystalline surface. His skin itched.

“Yes.” His boss was implacable. “Or I’m revoking your study.”

She didn’t know what she was asking… what he’d discovered.

 

“No matter what, don’t touch the inspector.” It would be hard. On days this bright, the energy from the light was nearly impossible to resist sharing. “For me, please,” Anatol begged him. The crystal being turned toward Anatol, and the light refracted off his angular face, bathing the room in rainbows.

“What are you doing?” Vic snapped. “The creature must stay in the circle alone for license testing.”

“My study is already licensed. This is just a renewal.”

“Move, or I’ll fail the monster because of your interference.” Vic was a sneering sycophant of the isolationists who wanted to remain inside the eco-domes forever. He wanted a reason to declare Anatol’s study of the native creature a threat to the colony’s existence.

If they only knew.

Anatol held his breath as Vic dragged out the testing, but he finally completed the tests as the third sun rose. “It’s approved,” Vic said sourly. He etched a serial number into the creature’s shoulder.

 

They raced outside, escaping to their secret cave just as the suns peaked and filled the chamber with pure light. Anatol reached out. Smooth crystal fingers touched his, and his skin began to harden. When he opened them, Anatol saw the world anew through eyes of living stone. His new home was awash with brilliant color.

Anatol turned to his love. “I’m so sorry.” He stroked the etched brand.

“I would suffer worse to stay with you,” Quizan promised. “But it won’t be long now. One more solstice, and your conversion will be complete.”

What did you think? Could you give up your body, your human existence, for another like Anatol has decided to do?
Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

These sneak peeks into other worlds and lives are thought provoking and leaves me wanting more. You do the shorts so well!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
6 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

These sneak peeks into other worlds and lives are thought provoking and leaves me wanting more. You do the shorts so well!

Thanks, Puppilull! It's hard because I get this whole idea but I can share so little of it, lol. People hate my 1k chapter updates each week--I sort of have a love/hate relationship with these, but my dribbles are great places to put down the gist of a plot bunny for future stories. :) I definitely like writing novels better, but this sort of challenge is fun at times.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I agree with Puppilull.  I was drawn right in and have so many questions swirling around my brain.  You definitely do shorts well!  To answer your question in the chapter comments, I have no idea.  It would take a hell of a lot of faith/love/trust in the other being in order to give up my physical form.  Although I suppose it depends on what the new form is...  I hope this is one plot bunny that keeps multiplying.  *plays romantic bunny music* ;)  lol 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Conversion to what exactly? What sort of creature will he become? What is the significance of the light from the three suns? Where did Anatol and his fellows come from? Questions upon questions ... more?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
4 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I agree with Puppilull.  I was drawn right in and have so many questions swirling around my brain.  You definitely do shorts well!  To answer your question in the chapter comments, I have no idea.  It would take a hell of a lot of faith/love/trust in the other being in order to give up my physical form.  Although I suppose it depends on what the new form is...  I hope this is one plot bunny that keeps multiplying.  *plays romantic bunny music* ;)  lol 

Thank you! LOL. How romantic is bunny boinking music? All I keep hearing is techno. :P 

 

2 hours ago, dughlas said:

Conversion to what exactly? What sort of creature will he become? What is the significance of the light from the three suns? Where did Anatol and his fellows come from? Questions upon questions ... more?

So many questions... maybe? He's becoming a crystalline alien form that's at least 'man-like' but I didn't reveal much more than that in this one. That's the beauty of the flash fiction... so much to explore. This is on my list. I might wait a bit though, there's that crystalline alien 'thing' movie in theaters, and I hate getting accused of swiping ideas.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..