Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 302 Words
  • 1,359 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dribbles - 31. A Broken Wish

This was originally written for a 300 word flash fiction contest with the theme of: Wish

“I’ll get the vectori.”

Battle raged around the tent. Explosions and screams couldn’t mask the barely controlled chaos inside. I was overwhelmed by the sight and sounds of men and aliens bleeding red and white. Men groaned and screamed, and the doctors and nurses snapped information and traded tools as they struggled to patch up humans and Ta’An so they could live another day.

Taloo was quiet. Taloo, my blood-bonded partner, had taken a shot meant for me. Our link was all that kept him going as I fed him my blood. I prayed, desperately, for a miracle. The doctor moved on to another patient, and the nurse had already left to fetch the priests.

Vectori sang the Ta’An last vigil.

I couldn’t lose him. At first, the idea of sharing the bond with one of our allies, the Ta’Ans, freaked me out. But living without kind, light-hearted Taloo was unthinkable.

“Please,” I begged. “Don’t die.”

“Wish I… could stay.”

I shook my head, denial on my lips and rage in my heart. It couldn’t be true. We’d fought for so long to free his people. The tide had turned; the enemy was retreating. Their ships were blasting off from every major ‘port. We couldn’t have come so far to fall now.

Because without him, I wouldn’t last long. “Take more blood. Please. You can’t die, Taloo. If you go, I go.”

“Wanted more… too. Love you.” Scarlet bubbled at the edge of his lipless mouth. “Hope… love again… for both of us.”

The vectori sang, their ethereal forms surrounding Taloo’s unattended surgery table. The poignant swell of their final benediction was underscored by my sobs as Taloo’s hand went limp in mine.

“I love you!” I whispered brokenly, hoping he heard me, praying the words followed his spirit forever.

Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

:,( Wow.  This was a master class in how to write flash fiction.  You conveyed so much in so few words... I'm in awe!  And I have to make the obligatory "I want more" comment. ;)  :worship:  (now I want to go revise my newsletter flash piece... lol)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

:,( Wow.  This was a master class in how to write flash fiction.  You conveyed so much in so few words... I'm in awe!  And I have to make the obligatory "I want more" comment. ;)  :worship:  (now I want to go revise my newsletter flash piece... lol)

Thank you! The Queer Scifi group on FB's yearly event is such a challenge, not only because of the short limit of 300 words but the fact that it has to be 1) speculative fiction and 2) involve an LGBT character in some way. Of course, I don't HAVE to write a romance, but it's so much more fun to do that--even when it's a bittersweet ending like this one. I went with a different story (that didn't win) but I totally spaced posting this one.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Efmaer said:

I think you might have won with this one.

 

Short, yet powerful and complete.

Oh, that's so nice! Thank you! I didn't mind not winning, but I'm glad you liked the story. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..