Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 877 Words
  • 2,420 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dribbles - 5. Taming the Lion

Prompt: You wake up in a darkened circus tent, wearing a bright blue and yellow clown costume and a fluffy red wig. There is a dwarf standing over you with bucket of water. "You okay?" he asks. Write this scene.

“Wake up, damn it! You okay?”

“Huh? Oh, crap. Did I fall off again?”

“Yes, you did. I swear, you can’t even make it as a clown. I don’t know why I let you stick around.”

Seamus sat up. “You let me stay because no one else can handle the big cats like I can.” He wiped the water out of his eyes and grimaced at the paint smearing his hands.

Barnabas snorted. “Yeah well, go earn your keep before I decide to kick you out of the circus anyway. Lars can’t get the lions back into their cages.”

Seamus could hear the snarling and huffing in the background. He pulled off the ridiculous red wig as he hurried to the trailer he shared with the other clowns. He rushed to change into some rough work clothes, he hated his stupid blue and yellow costume. He ran a cloth over his face to remove the white and blue paint. Lars was nearly snarling as loud as the lions when he finally got to the main circus tent.

“Stop that!” Seamus shouted as he saw Lars raise his show whip where he stood over the male lion.

“Shut up runt. I’ll do what I please, these are my lions. This one is too damn old to be good in the show anyway. He won’t even go into his cage. You deal with it.” Lars stalked off toward the tiger cages.

Seamus rushed over to where Leonidas lay on his side. He dropped to his knees in the dirt ring and picked up the lion's massive head. He saw the glassy look in the Leonidas' eyes and knew it was too late. He lowered his head and rested his small forehead on the rough fur of Leonidas’ mane, hot tears falling into the musky fur. His hand stroked down the lion’s gaunt ribs, avoiding the whip marks. He continued to stroke him softly while the lion took a few more labored breaths until even those stopped. Seamus closed his eyes and shook.

His eyes glowed yellow when he looked up and moved away from his dead friend. His lip was raised over his teeth and he was snarling. He moved to the main cage doors and unlocked them. Once they were open he stalked toward Lars, letting out an impossibly loud roar that rumbled through the circus.

With a flash of light Seamus disappeared and in his place stood a large lion, much bigger than Leonidas had been. His fangs were exposed as he continued to snarl and stalk Lars. The large man was backing away from him, shaking in fear. He bumped into the tiger cage only to scream and scramble away, blood running down his back from several long gashes in his back.

Seamus huffed at Lasila, the female tiger and then turned his predator gaze to Lars who was gibbering in fear. With a savage snarl he pounced on the vulnerable man, raking his claws in his stomach and biting his throat. Closing his massive jaws he crushed the man’s throat and shook his limp body viciously. Letting go he stood over the man and opened his blood stained jaws. His great rumbling roar was answered by the other big cats that gathered around him.

They touched his body and ran their heads along his sides and under his chin. Some licked at the blood staining his muzzle as he stood proudly and let them come to him. Hearing noises at the entrance to the tent he glanced over and saw Barnabas and several of the other men with guns in their hands. He stepped away from the mangled body and with another flash of light a naked Seamus stood in the middle of the cats.

Instead of attacking him the cats sat down next to him and they all stared at the tent opening. Seamus scrubbed one hand over the blood staining his chin and glared at the circus owner.

“If you try to shoot us you won’t like what happens.”

Barnabas just shook his head. He lowered his gun and stared at the small man surrounded by cats that could kill him in a second, just as he had killed Lars. “What are you?” he asked in amazement.

Seamus shrugged. “I don’t know. I’ve just always been this, a cat and a man. I was abandoned as baby.”

“Are you going to try and kill us too?” Barnabas was eyeing him with a speculative look on his face.

“Not if you don’t harm the cats. Lars tortured Leonidas as he lay dying,” Seamus said with a snarl, “He was a sadistic bastard and should never have been let near my friends.”

“Well then… I have an idea. If you won’t kill us, you can be in charge of the cats and their performances from now on.” Barnabas was licking his lips.

Seamus eyed him warily, “What’s in it for you?”

“You could do your transformation in the show. Think of how much money people will pay!” His eyes lit up with greed.

“And if I do that then you’ll let me be in charge of the cats? I don’t have to be a clown anymore?”

Barnabas smirked. “It’s not like you made a good clown anyway.”

Big cats and blood! Did you expect that??
Copyright © 2017 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Now that was an unusual tale Cia. I loved it. No one knows what someone is worth, or even what an animal is worth to someone. He may have made a terrible clown but he was an incredible protector of his friends the cats.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 08/17/2011 09:01 AM, comicfan said:
Now that was an unusual tale Cia. I loved it. No one knows what someone is worth, or even what an animal is worth to someone. He may have made a terrible clown but he was an incredible protector of his friends the cats.
Thank you! I did want to make it unexpected and a little different. I don't know why but I hate clowns so when I read the prompt the first thing that my head went to was something dark. In the end though... it wasn't about horror or hate, it was about protecting, as you said. Well, and Barnabas' greed, lol. I think all ringmasters are given a bad rap in stories, I couldn't go too far off the mark.
Link to comment

Great little tale Cia, as always! I especially loved how even when you had Seamus in human form, the cats were drawn to him, as though they could sense the other part of him (not that they had to, they saw it and it's probably not the first time), but still.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..