Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,006 Words
  • 4,949 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lost Inside - 37. Chapter 37

The crowded Tigers bent in a wave of moving bodies, like saplings before a strong wind. Here and there, one hesitated, until a single Tiger still stood. Benny eyed him. Some of the Tigers he’d grown up with were gone, including his family, and there were a lot of strangers he didn’t recognize. He’d met many of Yuri’s clan when they merged with his, but he didn’t recognize the massive Tiger staring at the body sprawled at Benny’s feet.

“Are you challenging me?” Benny laid his ears back and bared his fangs. He didn’t want to fight, but damned if would stand by and let anyone else run the Clan pick right back up where Sheshtun left off, terrorizing the others.

The Tiger didn’t reply. He didn’t even look up.

Benny snarled and stepped in front of the corpse. “Are you challenging me?” he repeated.

“What? No!” The large Tiger would’ve fallen when he stumbled back if a smaller man hadn’t jumped up and steadied him. Benny was startled to see tears shimmering in the light when he tore his gaze from Sheshtun. His hands shook as he lifted them up, his claws retracted. “Just… he….” His breath hitched.

“He’s really dead?” the other man standing asked. His voice was soft as he hid partially hidden, his arms wrapped around himself.

Couldn’t they see the bastard wasn’t breathing? Hadn’t he stated it clearly enough? Dav snickered behind him. Benny glared over his shoulder at the Snake before he faced the assembled clan again. Both of the standing Tigers had taken advantage of his momentary distraction and knelt.

Damn it. He was going to have to give a speech. He hadn’t looked forward to fighting, but he’d expected to have to. Benny swept another look over the Tigers submitting to him. What was wrong with them? For all they knew, he would be worse than Sheshtun ever was. Yet they gave in. Were they that bound to the old ways?

“My name is Benny. I’m mated to Yuri, Sheshtun’s son. I’m from the clan Sheshtun merged with last year. Some of you may remember what he did to us for daring to accept our bond.”

“Will you hold that against us?” An older Tiger spoke up from the back, a cane clenched in his hands. They all watched him fearfully, the two cubs hidden within their families huddled in knots.

“Should I?” It was his right, as the new leader, to do as he wished. Hierarchy within the Tiger clan said his word was law. No one could gainsay him—unless they wished to lead. An ache, dull and throbbing, began behind Benny’s left eye. This was not the haughty Tiger Clan Benny thought he’d face. All the fight had been tortured out of them.

“The answer to my question is no,” Benny said. “Unless you harmed another purposefully, you don’t deserve punishment. The betas who helped Sheshtun will face the combined Council’s judgment. They will speak with each of you in the coming weeks, but any who suffered at their hands for the barbaric experiments Sheshtun created can claim retribution.

“There will be many changes. The Tiger Clans follow an archaic set of laws with no bearing on society today—one where Carthera live in peace with humans and each other. The barbaric rule of might makes right is over.”

“Then why should we follow you?” Ahh. Not everyone was as cowed as they appeared. Benny was surprised to see the Tiger who spoke up was the slim man who’d stood kept the massive Tiger from falling. His voice was still soft, but he met Benny’s gaze and didn’t look back down.

“Because I don’t want to be your Alpha.” That announcement sent a wave of whispers through the room. “My mate needs me, but so do you. So, for now, I’m in charge. I will see this clan moved away from this cesspit to a new home. The other clans in his territory work together and have thrived under his father’s, and now Velaku’s, rules. There is a house closer to my home suitable for the Clan’s needs.” There were far less than he’d expected to need to house, just over a dozen family groups and a few others huddled alone.

“What about our jobs? How will we feed ourselves?”

“There is a fund set up. Once the Clan’s properties and assets are assessed and liquidated, as appropriate, the fund will be repaid and shares given out to each family to help you until you get jobs and find a new place to live.”

“We can do that?”

The ache became a throbbing pain. They were like untutored younglings. The strictures had ruled their entire existence, locking them into a place far in the past. If he hadn’t had friends who helped him… Benny pinched the bridge of his nose. He really wasn’t the Tiger for this.

“Yes. You can. Look. I want everyone to go pack their things.” Benny pointed at the two Tigers in the front row and the older man who’d spoken up. “Except you.”

The three stayed on their knees after the room emptied. It had to hurt. “Oh, get a grip, I’m not that bad. Stand up.”

They stood, the older Tiger moving slowly and painfully.

“From your reactions, I’m guessing you two suffered at his hands directly.” Benny gestured for them to take a seat on the couches on the right side of the room, usually reserved only for the betas.

They sat together, thighs touching. Both men nodded reluctantly. “You’re mates?” He was surprised they’d been allowed to bond.

“He tested the shots on us first. It… broke… something inside Carlit.” Carlit, the big Tiger, flattened his ears.

“Peten,” he whined.

“It’s okay.” Peten rubbed Carlit’s hand where it was clamped on his thigh. “I know Benny, remember? He’s a good guy. He won’t hurt us.”

“I thought I remembered you…” Benny snapped his finger. “You’re a friend of Yuri’s!”

“I was.” Peten bowed his head.

Copyright © 2014 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 2
  • Sad 5
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I have only one complaint...the chapters are too short...yet I admit that I could never be satisfied...I love this story and I love this world you have created...and you always leave me wanting more...I am looking forward to Benny getting back to Yuri...cheers...Gary

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Great chapter!! Now lets get everybody home. Is Benny getting a headache because he's away from Yuri?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/03/2014 11:11 PM, Headstall said:
I have only one complaint...the chapters are too short...yet I admit that I could never be satisfied...I love this story and I love this world you have created...and you always leave me wanting more...I am looking forward to Benny getting back to Yuri...cheers...Gary
Thank you! That's a great compliment. The chapters are so short, though, because I write this each week with prompts from my off-GA Wednesday Briefers group. We all post flash fiction on our blogs and link to each other's sites/our central blog site each week. It's a lot of fun, and several GA members take part, as well as other authors not members here as well. Sadly, one of the rules is our flash has to be between 500 and 1000 words.
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/04/2014 11:53 AM, LadyDe said:
Great chapter!! Now lets get everybody home. Is Benny getting a headache because he's away from Yuri?
Hmm... is he? ;) Gotta wait for next week to find out! Thanks for reading and reviewing, LadyDe.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I am wondering if what broke in Carlit could have broken inside Yuri. he hasn't come to yet so we can know his reaction, especially to his mate. What 'broke' in this other tiger? Did he only let them bond so he could try out the shots? He clearly detested males mated to one another, so did he torture them for what/who they were? I hope Carlit and Peten can be helped. I wonder what Peten means by 'I was" --past tense? Does he just mean till Yuri left or did something happen between them? More answers hopefully next time?

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/04/2014 01:55 PM, Cannd said:
I am wondering if what broke in Carlit could have broken inside Yuri. he hasn't come to yet so we can know his reaction, especially to his mate. What 'broke' in this other tiger? Did he only let them bond so he could try out the shots? He clearly detested males mated to one another, so did he torture them for what/who they were? I hope Carlit and Peten can be helped. I wonder what Peten means by 'I was" --past tense? Does he just mean till Yuri left or did something happen between them? More answers hopefully next time?
Oh, you always ask the best questions. You pick up on everything I hope readers do, every time! Don't worry, you'll get more answers next time, I promise.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Benny's speech was brief and forceful. It succeeded in getting things done even if it gave him a headache.  Carlit and Peten seem to be victims much like Yuri.  I think that Yuri will somehow be a part of their cure.  I wonder why Benny wants to talk with the old Tiger.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..