Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 1,010 Words
  • 5,416 Views
  • 7 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Lost Inside - 6. Chapter 6

I was a little behind posting here, so you guys a trio of updates. Another one (twice as long) comes tomorrow!

“It would never work. Your father’s plan to modernize the Tigers, I mean.”

Velaku cocked his head to one side. “Why not?”

“Birth defects and rising infant mortality rates aren’t enough to convince them, even when they had concrete research results from Tiger scientists and doctors. They cannot see past the way things were done to anything else, much less anything better.

“Sully the bloodlines or deign to ask for help without precedent? Tigers do not accept anything new or different. Hell”—Benny pointed at the Falcon’s house—“you have a perfect example of their reaction right there. What about Calix’s mother? She dared to mate outside the clans and was shunned for it; her family lived in fear of the clans just because she loved to dare someone not acceptable.” Benny’s mouth twisted on the bitter words.

“You’re not like that. Neither is your brother,” Velaku said. “If we start with the younger generations who’ve had a more modern upbringing—”

“Wouldn’t matter. The elders maintain rigid control of the power structure.”

Velaku smiled. “The young will age. My father had the patience to understand not everything happens right away. I’d like to think I’m enough like him to realize that too. We may only sow the seeds now, but a mind we change now could be instrumental to change the Tiger clan in the future. Or other clans still clinging to the old ways.”

Benny blinked. He hadn’t thought of it that way. It was a bitter pill to swallow, knowing they couldn’t go back. Their clan would shun them on sight even if Yuri wasn’t deathly afraid of Tigers. Though, since Dav invited him to stay as a bouncer at the club, Benny felt more of a clan bond with him than he had with anyone outside his close family.

“It might work,” Benny admitted reluctantly. “Or it might not.”

“We’ll never know if we don’t try.” Velaku shrugged. “Come on. Let’s check those markings and see what you can figure out.”

The tree Velaku led him to wasn’t much farther. Velaku stood back and let him do his thing. Wide slashes scored the thin white bark of the tree. Benny fit a hand over the marks without touching them, flexing his claws out.

“Definitely a male.”

“Which is why we thought it was you.”

No way he’d risk leaving any marks behind. Benny bent close to the bark and inhaled. The scent was faint, and he didn’t recognize it though it was from a cat.

A tension he’d refused to acknowledge eased. It wasn’t the Alpha, rabid to finish the job of destroying his son—and Benny along with him.

But then who was it? Why was he watching Yuri? Benny moved around the tree until he had the right angle. Sure enough, a narrow sight lane went all the way to the house. Worse, a new scent farther down the tree lingered. Benny squatted down and then his ears went flat to his head. He snarled.

“What is it?”

“The fucker jacked off. I can still smell his spunk.” Benny’s voice was distorted with rage. His claws dug into his palms. The urge to obliterate the intruder’s markings with his own scent was overwhelming.

Yuri was his!

“Shit.” Velaku rubbed his forehead. “I’m not getting you away from here today, am I?”

Leave? Benny bared his fangs. No. Not even close. “I’m not going anywhere.” His unspoken ‘until I find this threat and remove it’ hung between them. He wouldn’t apologize for that. No mate would.

Clearly the intruder was wary, staying much farther back than Benny did when he watched Yuri.

The distance from Yuri was too much for him. The cat could be anywhere, maybe watching from another angle. Benny stood, careful not to touch the tree. If the cat came back a lingering scent would warn him off. They would have better luck trapping the bastard if he thought his little hidey-hole was undiscovered.

***

“What have you learned?” Benny insisted Ellis come up to his spot on the hill after he finished talking with Yuri. He wanted to ask if Yuri had mentioned his name or spoke of a mate at all, but the possibility of his mate’s damaged brain wiping all memory of him away as if they’d never met, never fell in love and mated… Well, Benny might lose whatever tenuous hold on sanity he could claim to still have.

“You sure you want to talk about this here?” Ellis glanced up. He must have known about the guards.

“C’mon. I’ll drive you home. Benny stalked toward his truck parked on the far side of the hill.

“Talk,” Benny demanded.

“I was surprised when I first talked to Yuri.” Ellis put on his seat belt. “You said he was like a child, but he’s not really.”

Benny paused with the key in the ignition. “What do you mean?”

“Yuri isn’t childlike, exactly. The head injury affected his… well, think of it as his sense of self. He can complete complex puzzles and tests, but his ability to retain memories or process information is damaged. He has impulse control issues because he doesn’t grasp the complex social cues most adults learn over the course of their lives. It’s like… autism, I guess. He’s smart, but the way he looks at the world is very different than other adults because he doesn’t remember learning them.”

That sounded a lot like a child to Benny. “You said his memory was affected?”

“I believe so, yes, but remember, I’m just a nurse.”

He shouldn’t ask, but he had to know. “Does he… does Yuri remember me?”

“No.”

Pain lanced Benny’s soul. He roared and lashed out.

“Fuck!” Ellis grabbed Benny’s arm before he could punch the dashboard again. “Damn it, Benny, you’re going to need stitches!”

A hard plastic shard from the ruined dash was jammed between two of his knuckles. Benny ignored the blood running down his fingers. It was nothing compared to the knowledge his mate had forgotten him.

Thanks for all the reads, likes, and reviews, everyone! I really appreciate my followers taking the time to read the musings of my mind. :P
Copyright © 2014 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 2
  • Sad 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Velaku is admirable, leadership comes so easy for him. The clans he heads and the problems he's facing remind me a lot of cultural practices, and how some of the elders I know cling to ideals that don't work in this century. While their children adopt new thoughts and ways, the fight against the old ways is always so hard. Velaku's way of dealing with it, makes so much sense.

Dear Benny needs to reel in his temper more, I think he's beyond the edge and is probably stepping on the air. I hope Ellis can help him soon.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/22/2014 08:56 AM, lilansui said:
Velaku is admirable, leadership comes so easy for him. The clans he heads and the problems he's facing remind me a lot of cultural practices, and how some of the elders I know cling to ideals that don't work in this century. While their children adopt new thoughts and ways, the fight against the old ways is always so hard. Velaku's way of dealing with it, makes so much sense.

Dear Benny needs to reel in his temper more, I think he's beyond the edge and is probably stepping on the air. I hope Ellis can help him soon.

Yes! I think there are a lot of schisms within the clans, since up to only 50 years before they were still fighting each other, and the humans. For all his problems as a kid, Velaku had a father who tried to prepare him for the role he would one day have... though he had it much earlier than they expected. As for Benny... well he is poised on the brink!
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I hope Velaku manages to make his plans come true. As for that threat... I guess it's not Yuri's family, after all. But he's still a gonner. And poor Benny, confirming his mate doesn't really remember him. I hope he doesn't do anything silly that will jeoperdize Yuri's chances of recovery.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2014 02:15 AM, belann said:
I hope Velaku manages to make his plans come true. As for that threat... I guess it's not Yuri's family, after all. But he's still a gonner. And poor Benny, confirming his mate doesn't really remember him. I hope he doesn't do anything silly that will jeoperdize Yuri's chances of recovery.
Velaku is a determined man. The cat stalking Yaseke... well he is in for a world of hurt because most of my guys are determined men.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sigh, Benny really needs to stop acting so emotionally, but I guess he's on edge from being without his mate and from the lack of sleep. Ellis is a wonderful guy, and he wants to help.

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Fascinating conversation between Velaku and Benny.  Velaku reveals his ulterior motive....another reason for wishing Benny to assume the Alpha position in a tiger clan.

Quote

Velaku smiled. “The young will age. My father had the patience to understand not everything happens right away. I’d like to think I’m enough like him to realize that too. We may only sow the seeds now, but a mind we change now could be instrumental to change the Tiger clan in the future. Or other clans still clinging to the old ways.”

I'm sure this is one of the seeds being planted by Velaku.  It's going to be interesting to see Velaku nudge Benny in that direction.  

The inspection of the marked tree revealed some information.  A male cat who is horny for Yuri, and not Yuri's father.  Could he be a scout for Yuri's father?

Ellis' evaluation of Yuri is a hard blow to Benny.  It is now wonder that Benny is on the edge.  I fear he will go feral if the situation get much worse.  To Benny this is like Yuri has died. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..